Options

Let's Finish Deus Ex: Why do these scientists know all the passwords?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I will be watching this with great interest, I like to see other people's tactics.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm loving this. I've played it many times myself, but I've only ever watched another person play through it once. It's really cool to see how they handle situations differently than I do.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You forgot to include a picture of Janice Reed, resident hot secretary and J.C.'s secret love interest. (Well, maybe not....)
    How do I get on the boat?

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When ever I boot this game up I always have to sing the Deus Ex theme extremely loud. Theres just something epic about that doo-dooo-dooo-doo-doo

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SlapdashSlapdash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FYI from the Mission 1 video re: tranq darts, I've noticed that they will often knock out enemies faster if aimed at the head. Not sure if this effect varies based on difficulty level, though.

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To answer one of the questions posed in the video, I don't think flare darts are meant to be used on people. They're just flares that don't take up space in your inventory.

Also, in the interest of making the text readable and saving our eyes from the blurry mess that is Google Video:

Vimeo

Just use it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    To answer one of the questions posed in the video, I don't think flare darts are meant to be used on people. They're just flares that don't take up space in your inventory.

They actually set people on fire, which is like the tranquilizer dart except they die in a fire after a few seconds. They're also excellent diversionary items, like the noisemaker arrow in Thief. I use them primarily in places like the Paris cathedral to distract enemy guards.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »

They actually set people on fire, which is like the tranquilizer dart except they die in a fire after a few seconds. They're also excellent diversionary items, like the noisemaker arrow in Thief. I use them primarily in places like the Paris cathedral to distract enemy guards.
    That's only in the Shifter mod. If you shoot somebody with them in the default game, you just get a mobile source of light.

Lork on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Also, in the interest of making the text readable and saving our eyes from the blurry mess that is Google Video:

Vimeo

Just use it.

I love you. Just uploaded the UNATCO video and it's converting now. I'm going to bed but I'll leave the link up here: Intermission 1: UNATCO HQ

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think I used flare darts to set off barrels? I dunno, it's bee a while.

august on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love these. I just have to remember to check the thread. I'd like to request that you install the super speed/high jumping aug later on. Then I want to see some roof-jumping ninja action.

Pleeeaase.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Remington wrote: »
    I love these. I just have to remember to check the thread. I'd like to request that you install the super speed/high jumping aug later on. Then I want to see some roof-jumping ninja action.

Pleeeaase.
    There's really no point in taking the other leg aug, so you'll probably get your wish.

Lork on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Extra points for the team fortress avatar. Oh and blue dotted as well.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Italax wrote: »

Vimeo

Just use it.

I love you. Just uploaded the UNATCO video and it's converting now. I'm going to bed but I'll leave the link up here: Intermission 1: UNATCO HQ
    Well, it's definitely better, but it looks like the source video isn't quite high resolution enough for it to be truly legible. If there are no settings in FRAPS you can screw around with to make it better, you might try Camtasia.

Lork on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    when's the next vid coming?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I started playing through again today on a whim... I thought I tranq'd everybody on the island, but I didn't get the alternate dialogue with Paul. Maybe I used a baton once instead of a tranquilizer dart, but I thought that just knocked them out anyway. /shrug.

Anyway, when I got back to UNATCO, something weird happened. I guess I caught Manderley right as he was leaving his office to have the first talk with him, and he got stuck in the door. I really wish I'd had fraps or something running to catch video of it, as it was pretty cool, but I had to make do with in-game screenshots. They don't really capture the hilarity of it, as he was delivering his lines while the door was opening and closing with him stuck inside it. C'est la vie.

By the way, they come out really dark, at least on my machine, so I had to mess with the brightness and contrast in Paint.NET before they were ready to show off. And they get saved to [DRIVENAME]\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\System, in .bmp format named shot0000, shot0001, shot0002, etc. Took me a while to find the little buggers.

So here's broken, bugged Manderley stuck inside a door.
    manderley_01.jpg
    manderley_02.jpg

freakish light on
  • Options
    Neon BlondeNeon Blonde Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God, I'm such a noib, but I have to ask... What's an LP? *hides somewhere*

Neon Blonde on
    xIAMHUNTERx.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A Let's Play is a thread in which someone picks a classic game and walks us through it, either with video or carefully picked screenshots, with commentary inserted, assembled to tell a story. Usually they're a source of great fun as we share in their triumphs and laugh at their defeats.

Of course, it's not always just one person doing everything - it is Let's Play, so the community comments on what the person should do next or uploads videos or screenshots of their own.

If you'd like to see more examples, http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/ has a big collection of LPs written up and indexed.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Neon BlondeNeon Blonde Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ahhh... Cool! Thanks.

Neon Blonde on
    xIAMHUNTERx.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I started playing through again today on a whim... I thought I tranq'd everybody on the island, but I didn't get the alternate dialogue with Paul. Maybe I used a baton once instead of a tranquilizer dart, but I thought that just knocked them out anyway. /shrug.
    The game doesn't distinguish between "unconscious" and "dead". A rather large bug, but the easiest way to avoid killing anybody is to simply sneak past them, so most people don't notice it.

Lork on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Weird. I really thought it did. Oh well.

freakish light on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It definitely does, I tranq'd and stunned everybody and Paul thought I was awesome.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    It definitely does, I tranq'd and stunned everybody and Paul thought I was awesome.
    Really? Are you sure you tranq'd everybody? Because it's definitely possible (and reproducible) to kill no-one and have the game assume you're Jack Bauer.

Lork on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I dont even remember what the other leg AUG is.

Anyway, I've never had the game think I was a crazy killer if I knocked everyone out. The only part where it doesn't distinguish is if you knock a person out, you can then blow them up with a rocket and it'll still think they're just knocked out (I believe).

Remington on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Vimeo

Just use it.

Well, it's definitely better, but it looks like the source video isn't quite high resolution enough for it to be truly legible. If there are no settings in FRAPS you can screw around with to make it better, you might try Camtasia.

I'm having to record at half video quality because FRAPS tanks with it on the higher settings. I'll try Camtasia but a 30-day free trail will probably only get me as far as China. I'll see if I can fiddle with FRAPS and get higher quality video.
    Really? Are you sure you tranq'd everybody? Because it's definitely possible (and reproducible) to kill no-one and have the game assume you're Jack Bauer.

My practise run-through of Castle Clinton was really weird. I tranq'd everyone I met, got the Ambrosia and stuck back out. I got the dialogue with Anna you get when you don't kill anyone but when I met Paul in Hell's Kitchen he still talked about "another Anna Navarre shooting spree". Unless I killed someone after that and didn't realise I'm not sure what happened.

Pleeeaase.

Unless people actually vote for me to take the other leg aug, I'm gonna be taking the fast run upgrade. It's the most fun upgrade anyway, especially combined with the cloak and a certain weapon we shall get later on.
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    when's the next vid coming?

I'm going to try and do the videos on a Sunday-Wednesday schedule. I might be a little off because of uploads but that should be better now thanks to Lork. I had to wait for Google to process my videos before I could link them and that took like 3 hours.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

My practise run-through of Castle Clinton was really weird. I tranq'd everyone I met, got the Ambrosia and stuck back out. I got the dialogue with Anna you get when you don't kill anyone but when I met Paul in Hell's Kitchen he still talked about "another Anna Navarre shooting spree". Unless I killed someone after that and didn't realise I'm not sure what happened.

I'd always assumed that here he was making a comment on Navarre's violent methods, and not any particular mission that you were a part of.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Paul always talks about Anna Navarre's shooting sprees in the subway I think. And FYI I never had any problems doing non-lethal takedowns and having Paul think I was rad.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Paul always talks about Anna Navarre's shooting sprees in the subway I think. And FYI I never had any problems doing non-lethal takedowns and having Paul think I was rad.

I'm sure I once managed to make him not say it. I might have been imagining things though.

Italax on
  • Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is awesome. Especially the part where you man up and try to. . .
    Finish the Liberty Island Mission with no legs D:

And then when you reloaded and realized there was this medkit just out of your reach the whole time. . .

I have this horrible image now of JC Denton, his legs reduced to bloody stumps, dragging himself through the prisons, desperately reaching for a medkit, but he just can't reach it, weeping in pain and frustration. . .

Great LP, man. Can't wait to see you take on Castle Clinton :D

themocaw on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I'm sure I once managed to make him not say it. I might have been imagining things though.

You can have him congratulate you (and Anna criticizes you to Manderley later). The trick is related to the courtyard at Castle Clinton. Broadly speaking, if any NSF get so much as tranq'd in there, IIRC, some flag is triggered and UNATCO charges in, guns glazing. If I go to the surface, I don't leave the building in the center, and Paul is pleased.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    themocaw wrote: »
    This is awesome. Especially the part where you man up and try to. . .
    Finish the Liberty Island Mission with no legs D:

And then when you reloaded and realized there was this medkit just out of your reach the whole time. . .

I have this horrible image now of JC Denton, his legs reduced to bloody stumps, dragging himself through the prisons, desperately reaching for a medkit, but he just can't reach it, weeping in pain and frustration. . .

Great LP, man. Can't wait to see you take on Castle Clinton :D
    This was hilarious.

Hey, what's the ETA on that upload?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Anyway, I've never had the game think I was a crazy killer if I knocked everyone out. The only part where it doesn't distinguish is if you knock a person out, you can then blow them up with a rocket and it'll still think they're just knocked out (I believe).

Other leg aug lets you walk making less noise. It's ok but stealth gets really hard later on.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Other leg aug lets you walk making less noise. It's ok but stealth gets really hard later on.
    Run silent sounds nice until it occurs to you that the super speed aug still works when you're crouched. What's worse is that run silent only dampens movement sounds, so the super speed is actually better for stealth. Even Aqua-Lung is a better choice than that.

Lork on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Manderly-in-door happened to me too!

It was awesome.

Sueve on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You guys do know there's a whole crate load of medbots on Liberty Island, right next to the stack of boxes when you go up the first flight of steps from the docks you start out on.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yep, pretty sure Italax demoed that one, blasting it open with the GEP gun, in the first video.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mission 2 - Part 1: Fuck pacifism. (Google Mirror)

I recorded this at much higher settings so I hope the text is a lot more visible this time. I managed to get the alternate Anna dialogue anyway, which was the hard part of the mission.

You get to vote: Environmental Resistance or Aqualung. If I was right and I can use another aug in that slot then vote for that.

God save our gracious Queen...

Italax on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "I just blew up a child with a rocket launcher. A small starving child."

I laughed out loud and woke up my roommate when you said that you sick son of a bitch.

Burgu on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ah, Deus Ex. One of my earliest PC gaming addictions. I remember playing the hell out of it back when I had one of those shitty blue iMacs with a one button mouse. Since I lost the CD years ago let me just say: Thank God for Steam. Memories... Flooding back!

I think my favourite thing I ever did was at the free clinic in Hell's Kitchen, where there are heaps of sick people just milling around. What I'd do is I would step into the bathrooms and place gas grenades on the walls, then run through the main area firing my pistol wildly into the air. Now, what do you do if someone's firing a pistol into the air?

Why, you run into the bathrooms, of course.

Then I'd press my ear up to the door, listening intently to all the grenades going off and the sounds of people coughing and gagging.

Then I reloaded my save and tried it with LAMs...

Easily the most fun game ever. This is an excellent LP.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    - "I would go into a rousing rendition of "God Save the Queen," but I only know the first line."

- "We were pacifists! We TRIED!"

- "That was for the first fucking mission. . . WANKERS!"

And your rendition of the subway hostage rescue went about as well as mind did the first time XD

And I think Aqualung/Environmental Resistance is Subdermal or Torso: either way, not worth using. Go get an extra of one of the better ones instead.

themocaw on