As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Card overheating? Maybe?

tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

This has been a problem for about 2 years now, but i never really cared since i dont use my PC much, but now it is just downright pissing me off. i have a Gigabyte Technologies motherboard (sorry, dont know exact spec. at work.) with a 3500+ AMD Processor. 575 Watt power supply, 2 gigabytes of RAM (DDR from Corsair)

And the video card....nVidia 7800 GT. This card costed me 400 dollars at its peak 2 years ago. a VERY good card, if i do say so myself as it can run every game (except like crysis or some shit that i havent tried) at max settings and gets 100 FPS.

The problem is, or..well, let me start as saying the problem WAS a blue screen of death. This occured at random intervals ever since i built my PC. perhaps it was a driver conflict, i dont know.
Since then, the problem has changed and no longer have the BSOD's, but i get a random lockup that requires a hard reboot.

I attribute it to my video card because it gets INSANELY hot. I have never felt a video card be that hot in my life. I have my case open, all fans working, and even put a desk fan on it.

I realized too, is that it only locks up when im playing a game. Thus making it graphically intensive...another note to add to the video card list. AND, it generally does not lock up when i have my window open, with airflow throughout the entire room. I have to make my room an icebox. Even then, it happens, just not as often.

tl;dr: video card overheating. Why?

tuscloud311 on

• SabreSabre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did you check the fan on the 7800? If that's starting to go, that could be the root of your problem. Also, is there good airflow through your case?

Sabre on
    PAsig.jpg
    SteamID : Harbinger EVE-O: Jarek Dryayen
  • tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I forgot to add:

Fan works, seems like its goin pretty well. I clean it out frequently, so no dust.

And...no, not really actually. It is basically like pointing a fan into a box. Once the air hits the back, where does it go? Maybe i should open the other side of the case as well so the fan passes over it and all the way through? Good idea? i dont know how air flow works...

tuscloud311 on
  • EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do you have any way of monitoring the core temperature of the card? While it does sound like it's overheating, you'd want to be sure of the problem before you attempt to fix it.

Evyl on
    edited January 2008
    Umm, generally you have a fan (or fans) in the front of the case, and a fan in the back, with air blowing across all of your components as it travels through the case. You don't have a rear case fan?

Also, a good way to monitor temps on your card is with the Nvidia driver program itself, and nTune. The latter program also gives you overclocking options, but I don't think you'd be too interested in those at the moment. Just keep in mind that video cards run stupidly hot compared to processors, so expect to see high-ish temps. My 7600GT idles at 51 degrees Celsius, and my understanding is that this is fairly typical.

Sabre on
    PAsig.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Sabre wrote: »
    Umm, generally you have a fan (or fans) in the front of the case, and a fan in the back, with air blowing across all of your components as it travels through the case. You don't have a rear case fan?

Also, a good way to monitor temps on your card is with the Nvidia driver program itself, and nTune. The latter program also gives you overclocking options, but I don't think you'd be too interested in those at the moment. Just keep in mind that video cards run stupidly hot compared to processors, so expect to see high-ish temps. My 7600GT idles at 51 degrees Celsius, and my understanding is that this is fairly typical.

This.

Video cards run fucktardedly hot. My X1900 gets up to 85 degrees at full load - and this is normal. I don't think you can accurately determine whether or not the card is overheating by touching it.

This is based on my (recent) experiences with an overheating graphic card, so get your salt ready: You don't want the temp rising about 92 degrees. Above this temp, I started getting all kinds of issues, from graphic glitching to bsod's.

I had to take the heat sink off and put new thermal paste on to get the thing running cool again. You don't want to have to do that kind of thing unless you absolutely have to.

Evyl on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Evyl wrote: »

This.

Video cards run fucktardedly hot. My X1900 gets up to 85 degrees at full load - and this is normal. I don't think you can accurately determine whether or not the card is overheating by touching it.

This is based on my (recent) experiences with an overheating graphic card, so get your salt ready: You don't want the temp rising about 92 degrees. Above this temp, I started getting all kinds of issues, from graphic glitching to bsod's.

I had to take the heat sink off and put new thermal paste on to get the thing running cool again. You don't want to have to do that kind of thing unless you absolutely have to.
    Wait, 85 C or 85 F? Because most temp monitoring programs consider 75C to be dangerously hot. If you're hitting 85 C, you still need better cooling.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2008
    I have a lot of fans on my case. Roughly 3 (well, 4 now with the desk fan) on the PC. I have a rear fan, a side fan, and the fan of the video card, all running at high speeds.

Well, maybe it isnt the video card then? What else would it be?

tuscloud311 on
    edited January 2008
    Evyl wrote: »

This.

Wait, 85 C or 85 F? Because most temp monitoring programs consider 75C to be dangerously hot. If you're hitting 85 C, you still need better cooling.

85 degrees C, and no - that's dangerously hot for a CPU, not the X1900 GPU. From a Guru3D FAQ:
    Q) My card is running at 85C under full load! Is it going to melt?!

A) No, your card is fine. Those are perfectly normal operating temperatures for your card with the stock cooler. The R520 has an operating range of 75 - 95C under load. The card has 321 million transistors in the core. As you can imagine it will generate a good amount of heat to have them running at 625Mhz.

That said - you don't want your card running over 90 degrees (C).

Evyl on
    edited January 2008
    Well, I wouldn't rule out the video card overheating . . . I'd double-check the temps to be sure, but if this problem continues after trying to improve cooling in the case by blowing a fan at the computer's innards, it may be bad video card drivers, bad mobo drivers, BIOS conflict and/or settings, or the card may just not be that good.

Out of curiosity, who makes your card? I've seen some cards that come factory-overclocked, and were not stable because of that. I've had to lower the clockspeeds to Nvidia's specs, rather than BFGs or eVGA's stock-overclocked speeds, to get them stable.

Sabre on
    PAsig.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Dead on sir. it is a BFG video card.

i might have to double check my mobo drivers, but i know my video drivers are top notch currently. So is this ntune program free? I've been looking for a temp gauge on my video card in the settings but couldnt find them anywhere....

tuscloud311 on
    edited January 2008
    nTune is free, and made by nVidia. You can grab it here.

Sabre on
    PAsig.jpg