As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IC Character Building

JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Critical Failures
Role playing games are about just that: playing the role of someone else. Although anyone with a healthy interest is in it for the good times, character creation can be a tricky and intricate (and expressive) process for some.

Having been around the web in different facets of RPing, I have seen the usual types:
Power builders; guys who have a dedication to cloning the same character over several campaigns and game types; guys who like making badasses, etc.

Some of us write intricately-woven backgrounds for our characters, while others keep it vague and RP it out. Some folks like being the center of attention, others like being the surprise hero, the backup or the party "glue".

This thread is for people to talk about characters they have enjoyed playing, or get help with building characters' stories, or maybe just throw some crazy ideas down about characters they have floating around in their heads.

I personally like to play a variety of characters, but try to make even extravagant fellas seem normal and humble. As someone who used to write a lot, if I'm inspired I'll write a few paragraphs of history or sometimes just go with the character and see where they take me. I think my favorite character was a wise jedi character from a Clone Wars campaign I was in for a brief while. Mainly because of a piece of force-wisdom I dropped on one of the clones after my group survived Order 66. I thought it was pretty decent, but it was the only time I've ever gotten a compliment from a GM.

Anyway, if you have any cool RPing stories to share or maybe you just want to share how you go about building characters/ thinking up ideas.

steam_sig.png
JacquesCousteau on

• Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh. My favorite characters ever have to be Araka and Shadowchaser.

Shadowchaser was done in totally freeform chat, a Darkness-based character who started out as a relatively basic character and expanded over almost thirteen years now into a critical player in several major wars, formation and breakup of several families/clans, and the only living character to have kicked Bhazulle in the teeth and lived. Since most of you probably never played in Chathouse, I'll tell you right now, Bhazulle is the kind of demon that could make Demogorgon cry for mommy and Tiamat look for a better place to lay her multiple heads. For some unknowable reason, he liked me.

Araka was a Dark Jedi in a mostly freeform Star Wars game based around a temple on a nearly-uninhabited temple on the Outer Rim somewhere. I almost never DID anything and I somehow managed to keep all the Jedi who showed up scared so shitless of me that everybody stepped lightly. Except that, again, I never actually DID anything (except murder the guy who tried to become my apprentice for being a complete idiot).

After those two... I'd have to say my first Werewolf character was a lot of fun too. Jason Ryan Scott was a technological prodigy (Glass Walker, you guessed it), who was really new to the whole werewolf thing. This was a forum game, without an actual "group" so much as "everybody on the forum plays whenever they have time", and it was based around a caern, so I spent months with him just learning how to deal with the Garou. Best moment: He got the Get of Fenris Caern Warder kicked out of the Caern for trying to kill him. JAson had a naturally arguementative personality, and the 4th rank Get didn't like it, so when he started really tearing into the poor kid, the caern's alpha showed up and then the Get laid into HER, so he was unceremoniously banished on a rather permanent basis. unfortunately, not long after that, he had his brains scrambled by a Technocrat (the ST didn't know a damn thing ABOUT Mage, or he'd've known it wasn't actually possible to do what he was trying, since the Technocrat didn't have a device or focus of any sort and somehow had an Arete of 7 as a standard Man In Black, and Mind 2 can't give you permanent Derangements, but whatever) and functionally lost his short-term memory permanently. As in, if you don't keep him utterly focused on the task at hand, he could forget what he was doing and never ever remember it. Which caused all sorts of problems when his mentor died and he had to find out about it seven or eight times in a week.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!