As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh god help me with my computer [Solved]

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting DefensePlace at the tableRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
The system here is an alienware with an Asus Sli Deluxe motherboard running two Nvidia 6800gts in sli mode. It has 2 gigs of ram and ample hard drives. I'm running xp pro.

(note: I did not configure this computer, I got a deal on it used, so no flak on running to sub-market video cards in SLI when I could have one big one is needed)

OK, so there was a bad power surge in my neighborhood Friday night. A tree fell on a transformer just like in a movie.

My computer went out of wack. It now stops sending good video data after windows loads a user profile.

At first it sent no data signal whatsoever to the monitors

So here's what I did - I disconnected the second monitor. I removed both video cards, cleaned and inspected them, and then put one back in. I changed the setup menu to reflect running in single card mode. Now I get a very basic (800 z 600 w/4 bit color) signal.

There are no options in window's 'display' control panel to change this. There simply are no other options in the settings dropdowns.

The Nvidia control panels won't open - I try to open them and I get a second of hourglass or so and then nothing happens. The desktop I am using does stop the mouse at all four edges, so they aren't opening offscreen.

Any thoughts on how to make my internets big and pretty again?

JohnnyCache on

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yup, sounds about right for a power surge. I'd try plugging in the other video card in single mode and see if it's any better. Also, get a known-working video card and try that. If you continue to get a messed up signal, then it means there's something wrong with your motherboard.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would try completely uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers...will only take a few minutes and there's a chance that's all it is. Then yeah, it's time to start trying other cards to see if yours are the problem.

imperial6 on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yup, sounds about right for a power surge. I'd try plugging in the other video card in single mode and see if it's any better. Also, get a known-working video card and try that. If you continue to get a messed up signal, then it means there's something wrong with your motherboard.

I am taking your advice as you read this, but would the output be crystal clear for the first few windows screens and the bios splash if the card was damaged?

JohnnyCache on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    imperial6 wrote: »
    I would try completely uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers...will only take a few minutes and there's a chance that's all it is. Then yeah, it's time to start trying other cards to see if yours are the problem.

imperial six wins one McGuffin, thread may be locked.

JohnnyCache on
This discussion has been closed.