As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comcast to Verizon FIOS: Suck it.

2»

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Also, from what I hear, the verizon DVR software is clearly superior to the comcast DVR.

When I first used the FiOS DVR, it sucked really badly. When I visited my parents recently I noticed that it had been totally upgraded. The device is much more responsive and the UI it much prettier, but the layout of the UI is still totally unintuitive. TiVo it ain't.

The comcast one is an abomination and the device is sometimes unresponsive.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Also, from what I hear, the verizon DVR software is clearly superior to the comcast DVR.

When I first used the FiOS DVR, it sucked really badly. When I visited my parents recently I noticed that it had been totally upgraded. The device is much more responsive and the UI it much prettier, but the layout of the UI is still totally unintuitive. TiVo it ain't.

The comcast one is an abomination and the device is sometimes unresponsive.

Only sometimes?

I envy my parents' Tivo DirecTV box when I leave their house and go back home to my Comcast box. It takes between 1-30 seconds before it recognizes button presses on that stupid thing. Which when you're fast forwarding or rewinding is killer.

Whatever happened to companies learning from other companies and making products better? Comcast sure hasn't with it's DVR. It's usable, but a PITA.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you're Comcast, what incentive do you have to improve in the vast majority of your markets? Realize they're the only game in town for most areas.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Comcast likely has you by the balls.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just had my fios installed. I have to say the service guy was very awesome. I did my best to make it an worthwhile experience for him too. He had a Wii and was interested in my williams pinball collection. I let him know where to get it inexpensively and he made sure I was taken care of on the phone/internet/cable side.

The service is a marked improvement over comcast. In SDTV, the picture quality is improved. The DVR box software doesn't gigantically suck you can have multiple dvrs and pull files from one dvr to another. Capacity is improved too. GUI is soo much better then comcasts GUI. The internet is significantly faster. I was getting 6mb down and 768 up. Now it is more like 15down and 2mbps up. It should be faster for the upload but its leaps and bounds faster then what I had.

5 business days to get me this much awesome? I don't think I could ask for anything more.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    fios just became available in my town and our new tv is begging for it... very soon.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    fios just became available in my town and our new tv is begging for it... very soon.

Well, when you get it post here about it. Also, bridged routers can suck to get working properly. I did have them set my Box to MoCA instead of ethernet. I'm still waiting for the bill from verizon. I know it is going to suck initally.

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.