As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 4th Edition: 1 day until multiclassing Preview. (38)

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am defiantly going the PC<=>TV route, It will be awesome to have everyone setting around the living room with the dungeon map on the Big Screen. If you are lucky enough to have friends that all own laptops you can run an "online" table to handle combat movement, god that would be so great.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    But having to put up with the nuances of being a Thief of Slartybartfast or a Knight of Nii are what made them what they were. It was part of the flavor of the game.

What version of D&D did these kinds of things start appearing? What you're talking about was never in the game I used to play. A Thief or Magic-user was a game-term.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    What version of D&D did these kinds of things start appearing? What you're talking about was never in the game I used to play. A Thief or Magic-user was a game-term.
    They're not real PrCs... but rather names used for the sake of argument. Or at least there's no published PrC from any books that I'm aware of that named that. Knight of Nii is a reference to the Knights who say Ni...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I am defiantly going the PC<=>TV route, It will be awesome to have everyone setting around the living room with the dungeon map on the Big Screen. If you are lucky enough to have friends that all own laptops you can run an "online" table to handle combat movement, god that would be so great.

This is my/our plan as well... though I hope to battle map it on the big screen. Why can't you again? It seems like the players could just ask the DM where to scoot people, and they done get scooted.

Also, if you aren't running combats on the bigs, what are you putting up there?

My main concern is DM information being totally visible, I was thinking I'd just use printouts for non-player data though.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, none of my friends have laptops so I'm going to be the one moving the pieces like you said, but If everyone logged into the game and had laptops then they would have their own individual views and camera angles on their computers along with the BigScreen showing the complete overview of the map along with any other information.

If you set your computer up you can have the TV/Projector act as a second monitor. So the only information on there would be what you drag on there.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ah, I see... yeah that could be cool.
    If you set your computer up you can have the TV/Projector act as a second monitor. So the only information on there would be what you drag on there.

I don't know why I didn't think of this ::/facepalm:: Good idea.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    They're not real PrCs... but rather names used for the sake of argument. Or at least there's no published PrC from any books that I'm aware of that named that. Knight of Nii is a reference to the Knights who say Ni...

I'm sure what he meant was when Prestige Classes in general first showed up. As I recall hearing they started being added to 3rd Edition books and the D20 system in general, or maybe there were some kind of class packages late in AD&D 2nd.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yeah, in second edition you had "kits" which was basically the same concept as PrCs.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember acrobat, and cavalier. I wanted to be a cavalier, and I remember the acrobat illustration was a ninja, which wasn't what I thought of when I heard acrobat.

But yes I hope that crazy prestige classes as alternate classes are gone, it makes it so much easier to DM, and also to control the hilarious brokenness and confusion of the 4Fighter/2rogue/1 swashbuckler/1 Knight of NI/1 ninja/1 marshal/1 etc.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's hazy as I started in 2e... but I think you could be a thief in 1st edition, and Unearthed Arcana also had a thief-acrobat or something along those lines.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is there any word on how customizable the encounter mapper will be? What I want are distinct architectural tilesets for each of 6+ cultures.

Ideally this will be something that the community and/or wizards continually supports & cooks up - I'm thinking along the quantity of Oblivion mods here - get your aged birch treasure chest mod here, your working drawbridge plugin there (ok maybe that's not needed), etc etc. More than anything I want skins though.

My worst nightmare is the repetitive grey rock walls with no other options. Square rooms.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The video mentioned that users can create their own tiles. I'd imagine you'd just have 6 sets of tiles. I do remember one of them saying they didn't have like a grassy field tile, but a user could just make one on their own.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The video mentioned that users can create their own tiles. I'd imagine you'd just have 6 sets of tiles. I do remember one of them saying they didn't have like a grassy field tile, but a user could just make one on their own.

I think the animated dungeon items looked cool, like the torches and the portal behind the beholder.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Isn't the game table for people playing on the internet? I think they expect people to use an actual battlemap for tabletop games.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Isn't the game table for people playing on the internet? I think they expect people to use an actual battlemap for tabletop games.

I think it caters to both

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think the animated dungeon items looked cool, like the torches and the portal behind the beholder.
    Yea. That's true. One of the funny things about it is how they stressed DnD was a game of the imagination in the beginning of that video... yet the software's presentation of how things should look somewhat takes away from it. But that's just nitpicking. :P

Given the prevalence of big screen LCDs, you can easily use the software for rl play.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Man, it's been a long time since I saw something geared for hotseat play.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm totally psyched about the digital-ness of the program. I had one of those battlemaps that you could use dry-erase markers on, but it was kind of messy with the constant rewiping. Plus, this tracks light sources and things like that. That way I won't automatically forget about 'em.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The thought of me setting at my computer desk off to the side of my HDTV like some kind of TV Gameshow host while story images, text, notes, etc can come up on a large screen where all the players can see and then when battlestarts a quick click and the map comes up sounds good to me.

In this instance perhaps we aren't setting at the "tabletop" but scattered about the den on couches, recliners, and beanbags.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Man, it's been a long time since I saw something geared for hotseat play.

:lol: I can't tell if you're being funny, sarcastic about the ability to play this with people in the same room using 1 comp, or are genuinely psyched about hotseating DnD.

here is my intended layout:
    LR.jpg
    DM in red, players in blue.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, what, is the north player on timeout or something? :P

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    delroland wrote: »

He forgot the cheetos.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Yeah, seriously, there's absolutely no reason to have Prestige Classes in 4e.

Paragon Paths take the place of "elite" classes of various sorts, and specific niche classes could really be covered by just adding new classes or new powers to existing classes.

Does there need to be a Wu Jen or Samurai class, for example? No. Just create new powers for the Wizard or Fighter, respectively.
    Right... almost like... a kit of powers. You're fabulous! Who would have ever thought of something like that.

(I'm just messing with you.)

One can only wonder what this means for all the fluff in future 4e supplements. Complete Paragonal Warrior, now with more life decisions!
    It wouldn't be WotC without the Complete books.
    Ideally the transition between 9 and 10 will be the end of a Heroic adventure that shades into a Paragonical adventure. This is the closing of a chapter in the PC's story. At this point people notice that these local guys who were pretty cool are so much more. They stopped [Insert Evil Threat Here], proving they are so much more than just Heroes.
    Sounds a lot like the old D&D Basic, honestly. Red box, blue box, green box, black box, gold box.

Gold box was fuckin weird, too.
    As regards Prestige Classes one of the big issues is that Design Policy shifted about halfway through 3.5. There is no way you can say that Eldritch Knight and Abjurant Champion are balanced with regards to each other.
    Aren't they in the same book? Or is that your point?
    Dear Fourth Edition Thread,

Please stop being about alignment. Isn't that Warlord class excerpt pretty cool though?

Your pal,

Arcanis
    Dammit, and I wanted to talk about alignment languages.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone else notice that armor proficiencies seem to be by specific armor types now?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited April 2008

:lol: The couch only fits so many in comfort, but I've got a chair over there :)

Note the highly detailed steamer trunk, complete with PHB and bowl of chips or turds.

I did notice that about the armor, too. Maybe only Defenders start with the heavy stuff and everyone else has to buy up to it, if they want to use plate and such.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Note the highly detailed steamer trunk, complete with PHB and bowl of chips or turds.
    You've never heard of Twiglets?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    As regards Prestige Classes one of the big issues is that Design Policy shifted about halfway through 3.5. There is no way you can say that Eldritch Knight and Abjurant Champion are balanced with regards to each other.

Uh...no? One is in the DMG one is in Complete Mage. They are apart by about 3 years of time and it very much shows.

Also, first prestige class? Druid. 1st edition DMG. (Kinda)

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've always been annoyed at the whole mindset of having specific class builds or concepts being tossed into a whole new (sub)class when it's pretty much entirely possible to do said concept within the current rules.

See: my disdain for Barbarians, Druids and 3E rangers.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    4/30 gals and others.

4/30 and they show us Multiclassing.

<3

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Uh...no? One is in the DMG one is in Complete Mage. They are apart by about 3 years of time and it very much shows.

When did Bard show up?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    jothki wrote: »

Also, first prestige class? Bard. 1st edition DMG. (Kinda)

When did Bard show up?

....uh, I don't know what you're talking about, nobody saw nothingk!

I meant the Bard but I misremembered. To be a bard in 1st you had to be a fighter, then rogue then druid (I may have screwed up the order there) before finally becoming a bard. All the fun of dual-classing!

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The paragon paths articles is pretty wicked.

Pony on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The more of this game they show me the farther away June seems :(

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    edited April 2008

No, bard, though they could cast druid spells. You had to be a fighter of 5th to 7th level, then dual-class to rogue and get to 7th to 9th level, then you switched over to bard.

Edit: I have a friend that did this (though before I knew him or started gaming with him), and apparently the character was a certified badass.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I corrected myself like two hours ago Delro! You are correct though.

I'm not certain Bard's where so solidly bad ass so much as dual classing was absolutely ridiculous. It was a pain in the ass but once you got things rolling you were incredibly silly.

Edit: Paragon Paths. Very interesting though some of them are shit for flavor. "Sword Warlord"? Oh, I get it, the flavor comes from rhyming!

Edit2: It's Sword Marshall....still rather uninspiring. I kinda understand that they're going for the heroic officer type like a Warhammer Commissar but ugh.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    multi classing prior to 3rd ed was so broken because of the fuckstupid exponential increase in XP required to increase in level. So even if you were splitting your XP in half (between 2 classes) you would be at most 1 level behind the rest of the party. So instead of being a boring old 6th level fighter you could be a 5th Fighter / 5th Cleric. Or what have you.

They also didn't even try to balance the classes in terms of abilities and just gave them each differing amounts of XP to level up (with thief requiring HALF the xp to get to level 2 as a mage).

This lead to weird shit like in 2nd ed a Bard with equal XP as a mage would actually be a better spellcaster between levels 2 (which again came when the mage was still only 1/2 way) and level 6 or so. And he would be able to wear chain mail and use weapons and other abilities.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I noticed they switched proficiencies to weapon groups, as well.

I am underwhelmed by this Paragon Path system. I was hoping there would be more powers or cool shit. Maybe it's because I haven't seen everything the base classes can do. I remember hearing there were hybridized paths, too. Ones you could choose from among a couple classes. Not the execution I was imagining, but I'll have to hold my opinion until I get my hands on the whole edition.

This does open up the options for supplements a little. They can't really repeat the paths to easily. I hope they get creative with them later.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Magic-Users in 2nd Ed hit the "OMG LEVEL FASTUR!" track at 5th to 9th, though. It was pretty crazy-awesome.

Also, all we have is a preview of the Paragon path system. There is most likely quite a bit more content in the books, and that content will most likely get flEshed out further once the P-series adventures start coming out.

Speaking of which, I do like the return to the old Letter/Number scheme of adventure titles. The Heroic adventures are H1-3, the Paragon P1-3, and I assume the Epic ones will be E1-3. I hope the new adventures conjure fond memories of the Borderlands/Slavers/Giants/Drow arc.

delroland on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    that content will most likely get flushed out further once the P-series adventures start coming out.

Hee hee. Did you mean Fleshed out? or were you commenting on how bad you think it will be?

But recall how shitty 3rd ed seemed when they were previewing it, "they got rid of THACO? WTF? Its not that hard to figure out! Zomg don't dumb down the game!" And it turned out to work pretty well.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    I noticed they switched proficiencies to weapon groups, as well.

I am underwhelmed by this Paragon Path system. I was hoping there would be more powers or cool shit. Maybe it's because I haven't seen everything the base classes can do. I remember hearing there were hybridized paths, too. Ones you could choose from among a couple classes. Not the execution I was imagining, but I'll have to hold my opinion until I get my hands on the whole edition.

This does open up the options for supplements a little. They can't really repeat the paths to easily. I hope they get creative with them later.

Remember that the Paragon abilities are all in addition to other stuff characters will get from their base classes for levels 11-20. Also, 6+ abilities across 10 levels is more than a lot of prestige classes gave out.

Cantide on
This discussion has been closed.