As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Subtitles translated into human language on the first run through? Boo I say! How dare they change things?!
    Next thing you'll be telling me you can get the lightsaber and melon ending on the initial play.

You probably can, considering this is essentially a chance to experience the game in all of its glory.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you could get those on the first play through on PAL version, though I've never tried. Only the subtitles for the girl are second playthrough I'm pretty sure.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Just picked up my copy on my lunch break. Won't be able to play until 11:00 tonight but at least I have it in my claws. Sweet, sweet HD Colossi.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    vamen wrote:
    Does anyone recall this really long, awesome page that did an analysis on either Ico or SOTC (I BELIEVE it was Ico). It was cut up into chapters and it was just this guy analyzing the whole game nearly scene by scene? I'm trying to find the site but I can't recall anything about it besides what I just said, and so far my searched have turned up things, just not that specific site.

This?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/367472-ico/faqs/29015

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you could get those on the first play through on PAL version, though I've never tried. Only the subtitles for the girl are second playthrough I'm pretty sure.

Nope.
    The lightsaber is in the place of the mace on the first playthrough and I'm 99% certain there are no melons on the beach the first time through.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got my copy plus God of War Origins at Best Buy. The Newegg copy looks to be arriving either tomorrow or the day after, but that should still be enough time to throw it up on Ebay and sell it for $30-$35. Just want to make the money back, as the important thing here is the $20 savings on both games.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote:
    vamen wrote:
    Does anyone recall this really long, awesome page that did an analysis on either Ico or SOTC (I BELIEVE it was Ico). It was cut up into chapters and it was just this guy analyzing the whole game nearly scene by scene? I'm trying to find the site but I can't recall anything about it besides what I just said, and so far my searched have turned up things, just not that specific site.

This?

Woo! That is the one. Though I was looking for this page: http://www.rose-tainted.net/ico/essays/petereliot_annotation.html
    The content is the same and I just googled the title. I liked it with the images =)

Thank you sir!

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    vamen wrote:
    JOE_1967 wrote:
    vamen wrote:

This?

Woo! That is the one. Though I was looking for this page: http://www.rose-tainted.net/ico/essays/petereliot_annotation.html
    The content is the same and I just googled the title. I liked it with the images =)

Thank you sir!

You're welcome! And thanks for the link to the arty one -- I also like the images . . .

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I just took a look at the trophy list for SotC, it will take a long time to get all of them.

hLeTR.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is it all time based? Or just the thing with the lizards?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oh man SotC looks sooooo amazing in HD.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Seeing SOTC running at a stable framerate is.....well it's like starting over again.

Glad there's also an option to stretch the window for Just Scan.

The only minor gripes I have is that chains still pass through Ico's hands and body, Yorda's AI is kind of aloof (not sure if intentional), and Agro still handles kind of wonky.

Also, where's the Last Guardian sneak peek?

• KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    Been seeing people say that Canada doesn't get the rad reversible cover (not too surprised). I may just try to find a high res image and print it, or buy this off a US website.

As far as the Last Guardian sneak peek, I hear it's not a stand alone trailer to watch but footage that's cut in amongst some of the behind the scenes interview stuff.

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It's really a testament to SotC that the game remains as awe inspiring today as the first time I played it. Of course the purdy new graphics help.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The only minor gripes I have is that chains still pass through Ico's hands and body, Yorda's AI is kind of aloof (not sure if intentional), and Agro still handles kind of wonky.
    There's a decent article in the latest Edge magazine (UK only I think) about the people doing all the HD compilations for PS2>PS3.
    There's some good stuff for the people who think it's just a matter of copying the code onto a blu-ray disc, and they said they don't make any changes to a game (even fixing bugs and glitches if they were in the original game) without getting the original developers to OK it.
    So issues like these are most likely intentional.
    (And wasn't Argos handling how they treated him like a horse rather than a four-legged motorbike? You didn't control the horse, you just guided it)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    I am so very pleased by the reversible box art. So very pleased!

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

:!:

It is! It takes me back to when I went out of my way to print the Japanese Ico art.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

It is! It takes me back to when I went out of my way to print the Japanese Ico art.

You should come to Canada where you can relive the memory!

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    I got this today for $20 bucks thanks to the gears 3 amazon thing. I'm very happy with it. Both games look great and run at great framerates. SotC is especially a delight because it ran like shit back in the day on PS2, but now it's smooth as butter all the time. For the 5 people in the world who haven't played either game, it's a must buy even at $40.

corio2.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Kuratosu wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Not gonna lie, I cracked up at this

So guys, Ico in HD looks so good. So good.

And I installed and am keeping that Ico dynamic theme on my PS3, first time I've cared about a dynamic theme

UnbreakableVow on
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    Yeah Ico looks way better than I thought it would. Slap some slightly better textures in some areas and it holds up as a straight up PS3 game.

corio2.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Ico is the biggest improvement, since the original is only 240p or some crazy shit like that.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    So I like that the hand-hold in Ico defaults to having to hold it down to drag Yorda alongside you.

Did they give you that option to switch in the original? I know that on the US PS2 release you only had to hold it until she grabbed your hand, but I much prefer holding R1 all the time.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure about the US version but in the finished one, you had to hold it down all the time. It's a tiny little thing but it's great storytelling. Basically just makes the player feel like they're holding her hand. SotC does something similar, except there you're holding onto R1 for dear life.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I played SotC when it first came out, it's one of my favorite games of all time. Gave me such an adrenaline rush. That being said, I've only played through it once. Do you guys think this version is worth it? I've been considering it just because of how bad the slowdown got in the PS2 version.

Then again, there's so much coming out (starting with Dark Souls on the 4th) this Fall that I dunnnnnnnooooo.

Are you the magic man?
    klemming wrote:
    There's a decent article in the latest Edge magazine (UK only I think) about the people doing all the HD compilations for PS2>PS3.
    There's some good stuff for the people who think it's just a matter of copying the code onto a blu-ray disc, and they said they don't make any changes to a game (even fixing bugs and glitches if they were in the original game) without getting the original developers to OK it.
    So issues like these are most likely intentional.
    (And wasn't Argos handling how they treated him like a horse rather than a four-legged motorbike? You didn't control the horse, you just guided it)

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the Ico/SOTC team were the ones mostly handling the HD upgrades. So, as insignificant as those gripes were, it wouldn't hurt to fix them.

Still, I do like equating these PS2>PS3 transfers as DVD>Blu Ray. I really hope SE is taking notes, because I've seen how good FFX can look on 1080p.

This does make me sad that there aren't nearly as many impressive titles on PS3 or 360. Ten years from now if they ever do PS3>PS4 conversions, you can bet the results won't be nearly as good.
    Kuratosu wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Not gonna lie, I cracked up at this

So guys, Ico in HD looks so good. So good.

And I installed and am keeping that Ico dynamic theme on my PS3, first time I've cared about a dynamic theme

The dynamic themes don't fit all corners of my screen on Just Scan.

That makes me sad panda.

What the fuck is Just Scan

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

A mode on Samsung TV's. It's basically a fix for overscanning.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    can anyone post the list for the trophies of SOTC only?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    THEPAIN73 wrote:
    can anyone post the list for the trophies of SOTC only?

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/team-ico-collection-shadow-of-the-colossus/trophies/

steam_sig-400.png
    Does Full Pixel actually show more of the image? When I turn it on, it looks like it zooms in and chops off the left and right edges.

steam_sig-400.png
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    As someone who never owned a PS2 and never played either game, I was pretty excited to get this yesterday. Loaded up SOTC, killed a dude, and can see how this is a pretty good game.

Super late to the party, but my lateness means I can enjoy it fresh along with HD textures and smooth framerates, right? That's a decent tradeoff :D

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just don't look up any walkthroughs or solutions and I'm super 100% serious about that.

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I second what Maddoc said. SotC is one of those games that only wish I could experience again for the first time. It sounds cliche, I know, but it's true.

Don't ruin it for yourself.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    Hadn't I seen some people complaining about trophies earlier in the thread? I think that since they pop up for me on the whooshing screen where you are transferring back to the temple, they don't bother me at all. If they had popped up right as the final sword-thrust occurred, then I would have been slightly peeved.

I must say, I am enjoying the hell out of playing SotC again, but to reiterate, if you are playing this for the first time, do not read any walkthroughs or spoilers, because it's just not the same feeling as figuring it out yourself. This isn't an RPG where a walkthrough might be nice just so you don't miss some items. I can't wait to restart Ico as well, since I never did finish it.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Yeah they put the trophy popups in the best place, all things considered. I mean, as you transport back to the temple, the game stops to ask you to save, so it's no less immersion-breaking than that.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

A mode on Samsung TV's. It's basically a fix for overscanning.

LG, too. It just means everything is pixel-perfect resolution with no overscan.
    EggyToast wrote:
    As someone who never owned a PS2 and never played either game, I was pretty excited to get this yesterday. Loaded up SOTC, killed a dude, and can see how this is a pretty good game.

Ha. You've seen NOTHING.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    schmads wrote:
    Hadn't I seen some people complaining about trophies earlier in the thread? I think that since they pop up for me on the whooshing screen where you are transferring back to the temple, they don't bother me at all. If they had popped up right as the final sword-thrust occurred, then I would have been slightly peeved.

That's awesome. Props to Bluepoint, Sony, and Team ICO on that.

Personally, I find the Trophy arguments silly.

The game tells you at one point to "Press Triangle to Jump". Did that also ruin your immerse experience?

Granted, it would have been slightly distracting to have the jingle play during the "Colossi Fall Down" musical moments, but it's still not something that I would demand be turned off.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Holy shit these games look good now.