As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I too hope for this year, and for some news very soon...like next month.
    One thing that the reviving of this thread proves is just how glorious the day will be for so many when news does come.

A celebrative cheer will rise from the earth so loud and joyous, it will tickle the very ears of God.

Scotty on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thread title is updated to reflect the fact we have no news. Also I've changed the op to "NO UPDATE" and pointing out the screenshot is a year old.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Thread title is updated to reflect the fact we have no news. Also I've changed the op to "NO UPDATE" and pointing out the screenshot is a year old.

It doesn't matter. The damage is done. :|

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think it's high time that I do a SOTC sculpture...yes, I think so.
    Now to decide WHAT to sculpt, and how to go about it.

I always thought this would be pretty terrific...
    266767931_22c4b75957.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I could go back in time and prevent myself making the OP if you like?

::Edit:: Scotty, I think you should do it and give it to me. For free. What d'ya say?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A very very very slight update:

http://cgreviews.com/site/blogs/blog1.php/2009/03/06/confirmed-team-ico-at-e3-2009
    Insiders state that Team ICO's big secret project has remained secret mostly because it has been without an official title for about 5 months, and the Team, along with Sony, wanted to build tension. With a horde of great games on slate through March of 2010, Sony has been working hard at keeping Team ICO's project low key, as to keep from drowning the hype train prematurely.

While the game is not expected to release until Fall of 2010, it looks like we'll finally get to place our eyes on the prize that Team ICO has been hiding for so long.

Also from that news post:
    UPDATE: My inside source has just informed me that some changes for Ueda's speech have been completed, and mention of Team ICO's new game has been removed. While Ueda may still ad lib about the title, or hint about it to press, it is no longer part of his speech. But don't worry because Team ICO is still a go for E3. I've been informed that their appearance at E3 is not as easy to change as a speech. So that's great news.

Take all of that as you will, I've never heard of the site before but I thought it was at least SOME news to post.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fall of 2010?! I'll be old by then!

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, 2010 is when THE FUTURE officially starts, so it makes sense in a way.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fall 2010? 5 whole years since SoC...damn. I'm surprised Sony would let development run that long considering, while a highly critically acclaimed developer, they don't pull in the mega sales of some of their other franchises.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A very very very slight update:

http://cgreviews.com/site/blogs/blog1.php/2009/03/06/confirmed-team-ico-at-e3-2009
    Insiders state that Team ICO's big secret project has remained secret mostly because it has been without an official title for about 5 months, and the Team, along with Sony, wanted to build tension. With a horde of great games on slate through March of 2010, Sony has been working hard at keeping Team ICO's project low key, as to keep from drowning the hype train prematurely.

While the game is not expected to release until Fall of 2010, it looks like we'll finally get to place our eyes on the prize that Team ICO has been hiding for so long.

Also from that news post:
    UPDATE: My inside source has just informed me that some changes for Ueda's speech have been completed, and mention of Team ICO's new game has been removed. While Ueda may still ad lib about the title, or hint about it to press, it is no longer part of his speech. But don't worry because Team ICO is still a go for E3. I've been informed that their appearance at E3 is not as easy to change as a speech. So that's great news.

Take all of that as you will, I've never heard of the site before but I thought it was at least SOME news to post.

I call bullshit. Unknown site, 'inside source' and it's a fairly easy assumption that they'd announce it soon, since it's been in development for 4 years now. And the idea that Sony have already completely planned out their E3 presentation and wouldn't be able to change it three months in advance is ridiculous.

Rakai: Team ICO are a really small team, so it really wouldn't cost THAT much to fund their games for a few years. Apparently Fumito Ueda goes over each application and refuses to hire anyone he doesn't think is good enough. I'd guess that if ICO 3 sells as well as SotC did (around a million units worldwide), they'll make a tidy profit.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    whatever team ICO makes, I will buy. They have *more* than proven themselves twice, so they get my money. I mean god damn...Shadow of the Colossus...I pull that out and wow my friends with the gameplay and visuals *still*.

I've let people borrow that game so much and have gotten at least 7 of my friends to buy it themselves. That game wins.
    You have cool friends, all my friends think the game is retarded or gay and boring. I actually didn't even buy it, my friend had it and I played his copy. He never got past the second colossus.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Unco-ordinated: I wouldn't be surprised if you're right but I still do a news check weekly for Team ICO and this is about the only information that's come out for quite some time now. So fake or not, it gets posted :)

I'd heard from the teamico blogspot news page that Ueda has a spot at the GDC, I've been hoping that something may slip out about the game from there. I'm just surprised we've heard NOTHING, not a clue as to a title, what on earth it's about or anything like that at all.

Just one screenshot with a chain on it.

Over a year ago.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Even if the game may not hit stellar sales figures, I would imagine they're hoping that it will sell systems.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Even if the game may not hit stellar sales figures, I would imagine they're hoping that it will sell systems.

It probably will. In fact, I would say that besides Gran Turismo, it's the only real system seller they have left.

SotC sold really well since they actually advertised it, if they can perform similar technical wizardry for a PS3 game I imagine it would sell a lot of consoles.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

It probably will. In fact, I would say that besides Gran Turismo, it's the only real system seller they have left.

SotC sold really well since they actually advertised it, if they can perform similar technical wizardry for a PS3 game I imagine it would sell a lot of consoles.

I would imagine there's a PS2 owner or thousand who'll buy a PS3 when they start seeing God of War 3 commercials.

Anyway, dubious source aside it wouldn't be a gigantic shockeroo to see even a ten-second teaser about Team ICO's next project at E3. Not that it would really mean anything - I mean no one had heard of MAG prior to last year's E3, and we haven't heard much since. As a general rule Sony likes to hype their games years in advance - they know how rabid fans are for ICO's work, I doubt they'd keep too tight a lid on it if they had something to say.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009

If they make something as compelling and amazing as SotC, then it might be a system seller for me.

bombardier on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would kill a man just for a glimpse of what they're cooking up for this game. Waaant.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    whatever team ICO makes, I will buy. They have *more* than proven themselves twice, so they get my money. I mean god damn...Shadow of the Colossus...I pull that out and wow my friends with the gameplay and visuals *still*.

I've let people borrow that game so much and have gotten at least 7 of my friends to buy it themselves. That game wins.
    You have cool friends, all my friends think the game is retarded or gay and boring. I actually didn't even buy it, my friend had it and I played his copy. He never got past the second colossus.

Tell your friends I hate them!

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    From a further dubious website (and yes I do realise this is likely total bullshit) we have the rumour:

"Fumito Ueda will be there at GDC '09. He will announce 2 projects. One of them is Shadow of the Colossus Online."

Again, I don't believe it. I also can't quite see how SoTC Online would work. Unless it's not a multiplayer game and just a PSN title. Or if they've added a scoreboard to compare times on the timetrial run.

Dubious website is: http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1121

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On one hand I hate your rotten guts for linking a dubious rumor.

On the other hand, I love your beautiful soul for filling my head with the idea of a downloadable version of SOTC that had time trial leaderboards.

But if we don't get that, I hate your rotten guts.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Son of a bitch.

Stop updating the thread with ridiculous rumors!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This is how I get my kicks. I like to get your hopes up and then DASH them with shoddy websites and dubious rumours.

In fact with this very post I've put this back on the front page to try and entice more people in.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is how I get my kicks. I like to get your hopes up and then DASH them with shoddy websites and dubious rumours.

In fact with this very post I've put this back on the front page to try and entice more people in.

Why do you want me to hate you Grinch?

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, there's this: Nico tech demo video It shows multiple colossus hunters taking down a colossus, so it isn't that unlikely they took that idea further and are making a multiplayer game out of it. GDC starts today, so we'll find out soon enough.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, there's this:

It shows multiple colossus hunters taking down a colossus, so it isn't that unlikely they took that idea further and are making a multiplayer game out of it. GDC starts today, so we'll find out soon enough.

It should be pointed out clearly for anyone that doesn't know but that video was just an early concept for SotC.

And put me down in the camp that thinks a multiplayer SotC would kill a lot of the things that made the original great. The sense of accomplishment with each kill and the complete isolation from everyone but Agro and Mono's body.

Besides, Team ICO are a pretty small team and there's no way they'd be able to work on two full games simultaneously. A slightly upgraded SotC port, with a steady framerate and slightly upgraded textures I could see, but changing the game dramatically would require a lot more manpower.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Japanese developers are terrible at creating online worlds and infrastructures, so I'd rather not have this exist. It's a very dubious rumor to begin with, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, there's this:

It shows multiple colossus hunters taking down a colossus, so it isn't that unlikely they took that idea further and are making a multiplayer game out of it. GDC starts today, so we'll find out soon enough.

It should be pointed out clearly for anyone that doesn't know but that video was just an early concept for SotC.

And put me down in the camp that thinks a multiplayer SotC would kill a lot of the things that made the original great. The sense of accomplishment with each kill and the complete isolation from everyone but Agro and Mono's body.

Besides, Team ICO are a pretty small team and there's no way they'd be able to work on two full games simultaneously. A slightly upgraded SotC port, with a steady framerate and slightly upgraded textures I could see, but changing the game dramatically would require a lot more manpower.

Also, we've known about that video since before SotC came out. It's not news.

That said, an upgraded version of SotC for the PS3 with more colossi would be fuckawesome.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Japanese developers are terrible at creating online worlds and infrastructures, so I'd rather not have this exist. It's a very dubious rumor to begin with, though.
    These people aren't Japanese.

They are Team Ico, savvy?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate seeing new posts in this thread.

Quit playing games with my heart.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So they say that SotC thing was a good game. Maybe I should check that out.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

Don't bother, it was crap.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

Don't bother, it was crap.

That's some industrial grade sarcasm right there. Nice.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    :)

It's old news but I don't think it got posted here:

http://www.tigmagazine.com/index.html#191108_news
    Fumito Ueda talks on Famitsu: "My new game is based on physical contact" - News

Speaking briefly in this week's issue of Famitsu, Fumito Ueda said that his new game for PlayStation 3 will be based on physical contact, similar to how his previous two games, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were.

ICO was based on two characters holding hands and the core mechanic in Shadow of the Colossus was the main character holding onto the colossi and climb them. Both of these functions were executed by pressing and holding the R1 button on the controller until the action was completed. A similar form of connection will be present in his new game.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer Ico to SoTC. They're both good games that tend to get trumped up to "end all, be all" heights around here.

SoTC had a lot of great ideas that were ultimately too ambitious for the PS2 hardware. That framerate sucks, dudes. It doesn't break the game by any means; though it's chopiness really takes me out of the game from time to time.

Music was great though.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    :)

It's old news but I don't think it got posted here:

http://www.tigmagazine.com/index.html#191108_news
    Fumito Ueda talks on Famitsu: "My new game is based on physical contact" - News

Speaking briefly in this week's issue of Famitsu, Fumito Ueda said that his new game for PlayStation 3 will be based on physical contact, similar to how his previous two games, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were.

ICO was based on two characters holding hands and the core mechanic in Shadow of the Colossus was the main character holding onto the colossi and climb them. Both of these functions were executed by pressing and holding the R1 button on the controller until the action was completed. A similar form of connection will be present in his new game.

That image that was posted up...I bet you hold RT and then turn the sixasis to rotate the circular hole with the chain in it. You can see 2 raised metal pieces that look different from the rest. Maybe a clock of some kind? The chain is actually attached to a Colossus on the other end through the hole. There's many of these "chain holes" throughout the game, and you have to find them and turn the dials to release each chain to set the colossus free, or something.

I dunno.

*Edit*

Sigh, why the totp? Guess I'll add said image to the post...

team-ico-ps3-tease.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SoTC had a lot of great ideas that were ultimately too ambitious for the PS2 hardware. That framerate sucks, dudes. It doesn't break the game by any means; though it's chopiness really takes me out of the game from time to time.

Glad I waited to play this on my 60GB ps3 then. The framerate was pretty decent for the most part.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer Ico to SoTC. They're both good games that tend to get trumped up to "end all, be all" heights around here.

Music was great though.

I never really got into Ico, but I loved SotC, but you hit the nail on the head. I've always said SotC was the best broken game I've ever played.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Music was great though.

I never really got into Ico, but I loved SotC, but you hit the nail on the head. I've always said SotC was the best broken game I've ever played.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it broken, it just pushed the PS2 a little too hard. The framerate wasn't a huge issue most of the time though, and the game is really pretty, even now.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SotC was freaking fantastic, but Ico was the best damned vidja game I have ever played by a long, long margin. Something about it truly connected with me in a way no other game has managed.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, Ico is easily one of my favorite games ever. Whenever I run into someone who actively dislikes Ico, I am appalled at the tastes of others. "It was so annoying dragging that bitch around"? So you don't like saving princesses? I feel sorry for any girl you end up marrying.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png