As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread: Gihgehls hates the title and I don't give a fuck.

• KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you just need a temporary solution, you could download the iWork '08 demo and whip something up in keynote, then export it to powerpoint format.

I'm not sure of any other alternatives, but that's mainly cause I've never looked. I just use iWork.

Kris on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

The program you want is Keynote (way better than powerpoint). Bonus: you can save as a powerpoint file, but be wary of using the special effects. Pages can save to ms word docs, and Numbers can save to excel files (but is nowhere near as powerful as excel proper).

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2008
    Thank you. Is there an easy way to hook my MBP up to a projector? If not, exporting it as powerpoint will do.

Kevar on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Your MBP should have come with a dvi -> vga adaptor, and that would be the easiest way to hook it up.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    VMWare is probably the problem

You should read the instructions that came with VMWare for uninstalling it. While the application bundle might be gone it looks like there's still a bunch of services running in the background. This might be the cause of your problems if they're trying to talk to the VMWare application which is no longer on the system.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    My work machine is a Macbook Pro with 4 gigs of RAM. We run Vista on it. I will never consider buying a non-Apple after working with this. It's the most solid laptop I've ever used.

Doc on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    well, that's the first time i've ever seen it been called "reserve power." elsewhere you get the standard "you are low on battery power." i have to admit the whole dual-battery concept is a little hairbrained but their wordage left me wonderin'.

The Macbooks save some of the battery juice for sleep mode. Might be what it's referring to.

Echo on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New iMacs! HUZZAH!

Thoughts?

PS, i will be purchasing one today.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    H*R wrote: »
    New iMacs! HUZZAH!

Thoughts?

PS, i will be purchasing one today.

By "new" you mean "processor bump". Meh, whatever. This happens once or twice a year and isn't all that exciting to me, no matter what the line is.

Satan. on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well this is my first Mac, so thanks for the warm welcome. It's "new" to me and a bit exciting. Let me have my fun. :)

Also, the academic store that i'll be buying it from has VMware Fusion 79 and VM Fusion - Academic for 40. Anyone know of a difference between the two or is it just an "instant rebate"?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    edited April 2008
    H*R wrote: »
    Well this is my first Mac, so thanks for the warm welcome. It's "new" to me and a bit exciting. Let me have my fun. :)

Also, the academic store that i'll be buying it from has VMware Fusion 79 and VM Fusion - Academic for 40. Anyone know of a difference between the two or is it just an "instant rebate"?

The Academic won't allow you to get a discount the next time VMware relreases a major (point release) of Fusion.

Satan. on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New iMacs available this morning....hopefully everybody will stop whining now!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow, the top of the line one even has a real graphics card. (Other than that, meh generally.)

Scary times are with us.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh hells yes. Will be ordering by the end of may.

So fucking glad I waited.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2008
    The deal with my parents was that I could get a new computer as soon as I graduate. Unfortunately I lost my job recently, so another part of the deal is I have to get a new job, but the day that happens:

imac.png

Replacing a 5 year old eMac.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited April 2008
    For that price I'd be tempted to get a minimal Mac Pro with a graphics card update. Easier to upgrade in future, not tied to a screen, etc. Not as pretty or clean though...

All a bit academic for me though. Damn long uni courses, I want to spend money now! *sulks*

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Your MBP should have come with a dvi -> vga adaptor, and that would be the easiest way to hook it up.

It's also the most impressive. All throughout college I only did presentations in Keynote, and I'd consistently have professors come up to me after class asking, "How did I make Powerpoint do that/look that pretty?"

The answer was always the same: "Stop using Powerpoint."

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    For that price I'd be tempted to get a minimal Mac Pro with a graphics card update. Easier to upgrade in future, not tied to a screen, etc. Not as pretty or clean though...

All a bit academic for me though. Damn long uni courses, I want to spend money now! *sulks*

Eh, by the time I add the stuff I want, the Mac Pro is over $1000 more than this set up for something comparable.

I'll stick with the iMac.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So has anyone played around with Office 2008? My school just licensed it for all the students so I can get it for free. Is it worth upgrading from 2004?

DharmaBum on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MaximumZero: If you are paying extra for the wireless mighty mouse, DON'T! You will end up replacing it with a competent mouse just like everyone else, and the money will go to waste.

Kris on
    edited April 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    MaximumZero: If you are paying extra for the wireless mighty mouse, DON'T! You will end up replacing it with a competent mouse just like everyone else, and the money will go to waste.

Eh, it's like $20. My sister's been using one with her Macbook Pro and I like it.

Worse comes to worse I'll just replace it with the One-Button wireless mouse that I'm using now, the old Pro Wireless variety.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WTF why is AppleCare that cheap? I bought it for 320 euros today!

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I was just about to ask the same. That's why I didn't get any for my Macbook.

Steve Jobs don't care about Europeans

Echo on
    edited April 2008
    Well, it's normally $169 for the iMac vs. $249 for the Macbook.

$119 is the student price for the iMac AC

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited April 2008
    A lecturer used Keynote today.

It made every single Powerpoint presentation ever look ridiculously amateur.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited April 2008
    Okay, I'm now officially in love with the Macbook trackpad. Two-fingered scrolling, two-finger tap for a right-click = :^:

Echo on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I was just about to ask the same. That's why I didn't get any for my Macbook.

Steve Jobs don't care about Europeans

Yeah.. well I got a 50Euros off coupon. So I used it on the AppleCare since it was about to be expired at the end of this month. But still.. 260euros vs 250dolladollabillsyaaall.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    well, that's the first time i've ever seen it been called "reserve power." elsewhere you get the standard "you are low on battery power." i have to admit the whole dual-battery concept is a little hairbrained but their wordage left me wonderin'.
    The Pros actually do have a secondary battery so you can hot-swap the primary battery. I don't think that's what's being used when the OS throws a battery life warning, though.

typhoon on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm getting bored of this thread title.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    So, is there anything decent for downloading album art? I have one for Windows, but it's annoying to copy images between the computers.

Echo on
    edited April 2008
    So, is there anything decent for downloading album art? I have one for Windows, but it's annoying to copy images between the computers.

iTunes?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »

iTunes?

he said something decent. iTunes won't grab art if you can't buy that song off of the iTunes music store

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2008

Usually I just do a GIS for "artist album title cover" and hope. Amazon is a decent place for art, Wikipedia is my last stop since they apparently hate high quality art on the off chance they eat a DMCA violation over it.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    Didn't take me many minutes to fall in love with TextMate. <3

Echo on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Better?

ben0207 on
    edited April 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »

Better?

Much better. Honestly, I was waiting for Moe to lock this thread up so whoever could start the new one would.

Satan. on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, now that I can use my PC keyboard to adjust the volume on my mac, nothing in the world can bring me down!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Got rid of all that junk from VMware and now my MacBook is running just as fast as normal. Well, as fast as a MacBook with only 1gb of ram that is.

Does anyone else have have any problems with adium starting really slowly. It takes this thing about a minute from when i start it until my contact list pops up. Im logging into an AIM account, a MSN account, and a GTalk account. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

As this computer is approaching its two year anniversary, its starting to loose its snappiness.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

Better?

Much better. Honestly, I was waiting for Moe to lock this thread up so whoever could start the new one would.

Meh go for it. This one is a bit unwieldy (lulz megathread)

ben0207 on
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

Better?

Meh go for it. This one is a bit unwieldy (lulz megathread)

As you make post #2000 :P no but Lewisham is supposed to do the next one. I'm used to D&D where a mod locks the thread and the new guy makes it.

Satan. on
This discussion has been closed.