As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend some oXbox games.

elevatureelevature Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I never had an oXbox, and I just got a 360. I want to catch up on all the good games I missed. So far I have Fable, and I know I want Halo 1 & 2 and Panzer Dragoon if I can find it, but that's all I know of.

What are the best Xbox games? Obviously they have to be ones that work on the 360, and I'm not a big fan of sports/racing/fighting games. I love weird niche games, though, so anything that tends to be called a cult hit is probably something I'd enjoy.

Recommend away!

elevature on

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is there a Ninja Gaiden on the 360 yet?

If not, Ninja Gaiden. Or NG Sigma or Black or X or whatever damn word/letter goes there.

Khavall on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you like cultish games I would reccomend Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. That was a funny game. Uhh put it low on your list though since people will suggest stuff like KoTOR first.

Also, only list games that are backwards compatible with the 360 people.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    STUBBS THE ZOMBIE!
    I think everyone should try this game.
    Also, Crimson Skies is always fun, and also the Splinter Cell games (Or just Chaos Theory since it's the best of the 3).

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Burnout 3
    KOTOR
    Ninja Gaiden
    Halo, if that's your thing
    Psychonauts
    Morrowind GOTY Edition

All great titles

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ninja Gaiden Black

There are other games for the old Xbox? Hm, I don't have any...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Burnout 3
    KOTOR
    Ninja Gaiden
    Halo, if that's your thing
    Psychonauts
    Morrowind GOTY Edition

All great titles

NO DON'T! If you have a PC that can run this game then play it on that, not for the mods, not for possible patches but because it has like 5 minute load times on the xbox. I know..... I played it for 70+ hours.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's why I only have NG Black. I have Jade Empire, Elder Scrolls, and Psychonaughts on PC. I have Halo too, but that hardly counts.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Phantom Dust

FreddyD on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Phantom Dust

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mercenaries - Open world shooter with driving and a bit of a sense of humor. Also, you can blow shit up with airstrikes. Has some BC issues, sadly, but it's still worth a play.
    Jade Empire - Bioware Action/RPG with a far-east motif. Good stuff.
    Panzer Dragoon Orta for your on-rails shooting action.
    Bard's Tale - Hack 'n' Slash RPG (a la Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) with a wicked sense of humor.
    [strike]Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - Somewhat of a stealth-FPS/adventure game, I guess. Have to play to understand, but everyone should play it.[/strike] Not BC :(
    Unreal Championship II - It's unreal. With a third person perspective and melee weapons. And it's fucking awesome.
    Prince of Persia -[strike] The whole series, really.[/strike] Yea, Warrior Within kinda sucked, but if you can stand the emo-ness (or turn the volume down), it's still fun. Only the first, Sands of Time is BC. :(
    Advent Rising - if you can look past a sometimes-shoddy framerate, the action is fucking awesome. Jump on an alien's shoulders, break his neck, and ride his carcass to the ground in slow-mo while shooting his buddy in the face? Yes please.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Phantom Crash-
    Great quirky mech battling game with fully customisable mechs (down to paint jobs and decals) and the greatest soundtrack you've never heard. Has a similar vibe to Jet Set Radio.

Kingdom Under Fire-
    Imagine dynasty warriors, but with loads of strategic elements. You move your troops around, taking into account things like the position of the sun so it blinds the enemy. When you get into combat it swaps to your commander and becomes a dynasty warriors style brawler but it's very visceral. Plus plenty of rpg elements, upgrading and equipping yourself and your troops over the course of the campaign. And one of the coolest things, it's got an epic fantasy LOTR esque vibe to the world but the music is heavy metal so you'll be in a fight with some ogre while you have wailing guitar solos in the background. Badass.

Deathrow-
    Imagine a futuristic sports game, mixed with streets of rage. Now imagine that you have a "swear" button and depending on the game settings you can win by knocking the other team unconcious rather than scoring goals. Throw in teams that have themes like "death row convicts" or "Mercenaries" (complete with a guy that looks awfully like Boba Fett) or genetically engineered demons. And finally you get an awesome league mode and you have Deathrow.

I wish I could recommend Otogi and Otogi 2 here, but it seems they aren't backwards compatible. Which is a shame because they are two of my favourite games on Xbox.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    These are great suggestions, thanks everyone. Keep them coming!

RE: Oddworld, I heard it wasn't backwards compatible. Is that true? I loved the Oddworld games on the PS1 and if Stranger's Wrath is indeed playable on the 360 I'm all over that.

elevature on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm gonna say Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    These are great suggestions, thanks everyone. Keep them coming!

RE: Oddworld, I heard it wasn't backwards compatible. Is that true? I loved the Oddworld games on the PS1 and if Stranger's Wrath is indeed playable on the 360 I'm all over that.

Yea, fuck, I just re-read the OP, and for some reason skipped the 360 part entirely... editing my post now. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Phantom Crash-
    Great quirky mech battling game with fully customisable mechs (down to paint jobs and decals) and the greatest soundtrack you've never heard. Has a similar vibe to Jet Set Radio.

Kingdom Under Fire-
    Imagine dynasty warriors, but with loads of strategic elements. You move your troops around, taking into account things like the position of the sun so it blinds the enemy. When you get into combat it swaps to your commander and becomes a dynasty warriors style brawler but it's very visceral. Plus plenty of rpg elements, upgrading and equipping yourself and your troops over the course of the campaign. And one of the coolest things, it's got an epic fantasy LOTR esque vibe to the world but the music is heavy metal so you'll be in a fight with some ogre while you have wailing guitar solos in the background. Badass.

Deathrow-
    Imagine a futuristic sports game, mixed with streets of rage. Now imagine that you have a "swear" button and depending on the game settings you can win by knocking the other team unconcious rather than scoring goals. Throw in teams that have themes like "death row convicts" or "Mercenaries" (complete with a guy that looks awfully like Boba Fett) or genetically engineered demons. And finally you get an awesome league mode and you have Deathrow.

I wish I could recommend Otogi and Otogi 2 here, but it seems they aren't backwards compatible. Which is a shame because they are two of my favourite games on Xbox.
    If you like Deathrow you would love Dead Ball Zone. I think it is the better game in every way.

And if MS shelves BC without getting Strangers Wrath, Gun Valkyrie and Otogi 2 up I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Phantom Dust

Also Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, the Fatal Frames(notably the first, second is good too), and thirding Stranger's Wrath.

And Xyanide. Can't be more than $10 new whereever you find it.

I really need to get myself a copy of Kingdom Under Fire.

How does the second compare? I know I need the first, but I'm also curious about the 'sequel'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll just name some:

Halo
    Halo 2
    Ninja Gaiden Black
    Splinter Cell 1, 2, 3 and 4
    the Burnout games
    Star Wars KOTOR
    Forza
    Soul Cal 2
    PGR 1 and 2
    Half life 2
    Phantom Dust
    Doom 3
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Jade Empire
    Max Payne 1 and 2
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Top Spin
    Psychonauts
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
    Crimson Skies
    Dead or Alive U and 3
    Guilty Gear X2 #R
    Kotor 2
    Unreal Championship 2
    Far Cry Instincts

Some of these are also on other platforms but whatever.

d'no which ones are 360 compat and what arent.

slash000 on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My best of oXbox:

5. Psychonauts - Psychedelic platform action puzzle solving from Tim Schafer. That's all you need to know.

4. Indigo Prophecy - This game got totally overlooked/panned when it came out. It's a glorious piece of mind-bending interactive fiction. Imagine Shenmue having a baby with Dragon's Lair and Children of Men.

3. Both KOTORs - The first has one of the greatest twists in video game history. The second isn't nearly as good story-wise, but is still a fantastic game. Best things to happen to Star Wars in a long time.

2. Jade Empire - Yes, another Bioware RPG. They just don't make anything less than stellar games. Much better play mechanics than KOTOR, less engaging (but still well told) story.

1. Beyond Good and Evil - My praise for this game is never-ending. It's probably my favorite game of the previous generation of systems, alongside Shadow of the Colossus. It's part action, part adventure. There's a really cool photography mechanic, some REALLY well done stealth bits, and a fantastic story with endearing characters. Oh, and the "rooftop chase" is one of the most exciting sequences every captured in any entertainment medium. Oh yes, it's up there with the Death Star trench run, and the Raiders of the Lost Ark boulder.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. It lives up to its name like you wouldn't believe.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Indigo Prophecy is excellent, but you might want to pretend the game ends about two hours before it actually does.
    I really enjoyed the part with him and his girlfriend getting back together.

And then... :( What a cold resolution.

Xyanide might have been the last great Xbox game: a shmup with a ship that gets beset on all sides. Kind of like Bangai-O on rails.

Great story, and intense.

The PSP version is really disappointing based on the demo; it's not even remotely the same game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm scratching my head at the Halo 2 recommendations - he's got a 360, it's not like he's going to be playing Halo 2 multi...

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I'm scratching my head at the Halo 2 recommendations - he's got a 360, it's not like he's going to be playing Halo 2 multi...

He needs to get Halo 2: Single Player Edition Only No Multiplayer In This Edition Edition

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Crimson Skies for sure (downloadable on Live, might I add)
    Burnout 3
    Forza
    PGR2

I spent more time on my PS2, I won't lie.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

He needs to get Halo 2: Single Player Edition Only No Multiplayer In This Edition Edition

What I'm saying is - the single player campaign itself was terrible. Would you really recommend someone spending time and money JUST to play the Halo 2 solo campaign? Just read the wiki article for the story, and consider yourself lucky!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did someone say Phantom Dust yet? I rushed down here to Quick Reply to say that Phantom Dust deserves a mention. This shows how urgent it is to play Phantom Dust.

Jade Empire
    Guilty Gear XX #Reload
    Halo 1/2
    Sonic Mega Collection
    Otogi 1 and 2

DekuStick on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chronicles of mother fuckin' Riddick

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

What I'm saying is - the single player campaign itself was terrible. Would you really recommend someone spending time and money JUST to play the Halo 2 solo campaign? Just read the wiki article for the story, and consider yourself lucky!

I enjoyed it. Playing as the Arbiter was fantastic. Waiting 3 years to play the rest of it was a bit of a downer, but that's my only real complaint. Less repetitive than Halo 1, more variety, better vehicular bits.

Oh, but the pistol was gimped =[ But that was still gimped in Halo 3, sadly.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tzen wrote: »

I knew I forgot something.

<3 Starbreeze

minor incident on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tzen wrote: »

Not BC :|

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ya know, I can't think of any real must-play exclusives on the original XBox.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dirty wrote: »

You're just not trying hard enough, then.

minor incident on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you haven't already played Freedom Fighters, you might as well get started now.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I thought I had one, but I can't remember the name of it.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Jet Set Radio Future, by chance?

Plus all the other GOLD that's been mentioned. Freedom Fighters, Oddworld, Indigo Prophecy, Fable, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Riddick, Crimson Skies, Psychonauts, etc. The oXbox had a few years of really, really, good stuff.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Jet Set Radio Future, by chance?

No, that's not it.

I remember now, ... Drake Of The 99 Dragons.

Dirty on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Top 25 Xbox Games according to IGN

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/772/772315p1.html

Not sure on which are backwards com and don't agree with the order or some games on the list, but it's fairly solid from what I could see.

KVW on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mercenaries has a sequel coming out soon, I'd wait for that, what with the BC issues Mercs 1 had.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    coutts wrote: »
    Mercenaries has a sequel coming out soon, I'd wait for that, what with the BC issues Mercs 1 had.
    If you liked the sandbox gameplay in Mercs you'd be better off getting Crackdown anyway. If you liked the air strikes and gorgeous explosions you check out World in Conflict.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, are the Destroy All Humans games BC? Those games were immense fun.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif