As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to PAX? Read this first and ask questions here

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suppose so, this year it might actually matter since projected attendance is 50-60k+

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm curious, is the console freeplay going to work different from last year?

Psychoish on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm among the people that wishes there could more of a focus on random groups of people playing stuff together rather than checkouts, but I haven't seen anything indicating things will be different this year.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    BnditBndit Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for all your help and clearing everything up.

:winky:

Bndit on
    So I hear you like MuDKipZ?
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just have to ask. What arcades are in the area, and most importantly, is there any dance game presence(DDR/ITG/Pump, etc.)?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's an arcade next door to the convention center. Forgot the name of it, but I saw a video tour on youtube, and it looks to have a decent selection of rhythm games.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Crawford wrote: »
    There's an arcade next door to the convention center. Forgot the name of it, but I saw a video tour on youtube, and it looks to have a decent selection of rhythm games.

Gameworks

redhalo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That probably means DDR.

Better than nothing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    People seem to be forgetting that PAX itself has had one or two DDR machines available for free.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Now that's interesting.

Hopefully they bring an R21 ITG this year instead.

R21 modded ITG machines let custom songs be played via a USB card. The sky is the limit.

It's the best thing about ITG by far.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Psychoish wrote: »
    How did console freeplay work last year?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

No idea. There was always a line, so I didn't bother with it.

Houn on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This has probably already been asked but I read through half the thread and didn't see it.

I missed the pre-reg period, would it be a good idea too arrive early on Friday to get a three day pass or can I show up at 5pm on Friday and still manage to snag one?

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Badges will be available all day (as far as I know) Friday-Sunday for purchase. If Registration is closed by the time you get there, go to the Info Booth. By 5pm, there won't be a line.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Slowly.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Randomfool wrote: »
    This has probably already been asked but I read through half the thread and didn't see it.

I missed the pre-reg period, would it be a good idea too arrive early on Friday to get a three day pass or can I show up at 5pm on Friday and still manage to snag one?
    Just because the mail out prereg is over doesn't mean you can't still buy a pass. You can still purchase your pass online, then it will be available at will call at the event 5pm - 12am (I think) on Thursday and whenever the event's open.

Transparent on
  • Options
    SweetJezebelSweetJezebel Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Forgive me if I'm repeating some questions. I poked through the thread a bit and didn't catch what I was looking for.

I've never been to PAX -- didn't even know what it was until last year -- and don't have any experience with this sort of thing. I play video and board games, though, so the subject matter is completely foreign to me. I'm likely attending this year because I'm a design engineer that develops the trade show booths and gaming kiosks that travel to shows like PAX and my boss wants me to get a feel for how they're used and abused so that I can do my job better. I might also sneak in a few games of something or another, too, of course.

I see that I can now only register for tickets to be picked up at will call or purchase my tickets the day of the show. Is one or the other the faster option? I don't care about the difference in price.

Is it completely unreasonable to expect to play games? Tournaments for some board games caught my eye -- Carcassonne, Settlers, Robo Rally and Twilight Imperium -- and I'm not too shabby at Halo, either -- but if the crowds are out of control my time is probably better and more honestly spent honing my craft. :)

So, I guess that's it. I have no idea what I'm getting into and I'm hoping that it's not so overwhelmingly crowded as to make standing in line for hours to play a game for a few minutes the norm.

Any advice? Thanks. :)

-Madison

SweetJezebel on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think will call will be faster, but that's just a guess.

And playing games is what PAX is all about, it can definitely happen with anything you're interested in.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Randomfool wrote: »

Just because the mail out prereg is over doesn't mean you can't still buy a pass. You can still purchase your pass online, then it will be available at will call at the event 5 - 12pm on Thursday and whenever the event's open.

Oh sweet, I didn't realize you could still order online. Thanks!

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    AnogarAnogar Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    It isn't pre-registration, it isn't "at the door"... I'm confused! Anyone shed some light on the situation? If I buy it tonight do I pick it up at the door? o_O

Anogar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anogar wrote: »
    It isn't pre-registration, it isn't "at the door"... I'm confused! Anyone shed some light on the situation? If I buy it tonight do I pick it up at the door? o_O
    Will Call

And this question was just answered.

Transparent on
  • Options
    AnogarAnogar Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Will Call

Sure, when I have a question my first idea is to read through FOURTY ONE pages of forum goodness. :|

Anogar on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, uh.. an out of state friend and I are going to PAX for the first time this year. How.. dumb is it to contemplate camping out to be one of the first people in, to PAX? I live only a 15 minute walk away from the Convention Center.. I've never had the pleasure of going to any Con. before, so I'm just about bouncing off the walls I'm so excited about PAX. :lol:

MeeOk on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Well, the line-up is inside the convention center on the 4th floor, and the building is closed at night. If you camp outside at night, the police will probably just confuse you with a common bum.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Will Call

Sure, when I have a question my first idea is to read through FOURTY ONE pages of forum goodness. :|

Sounds like someone needs to increase their posts per page.

Randomfool on

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    I don't think that will help.

Also, I added this question into the op FAQ, so now people only have to read the first post to get this question answered.

And if they don't, then we can yell at them all we want :P

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I was a little short with my answer there wasn't I. Anogar, PAX is awesome, glad you can make it.

EDIT: Moe, I think you meant 8am for when will call opens.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was a little short with my answer there wasn't I. Anogarm, PAX is awesome, glad you can make it.

EDIT: Moe, I think you meant 8am for when will call opens.

Will Call opens 6pm Thursday.

Liger on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thursday isn't the issue, this is what the OP currently says:

In the Will Call line on the 4th floor of the convention center either on Thursday the 28th from 6pm to midnight or on the days of PAX starting at 8pm.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ah I see it now. typo. MOE IS IMPERFECT.

Liger on
  • Options
    emoericemoeric Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I honestly tried to use the search option but it only took me to this thread and I'm not going through 42 pages. Sorry...

Where/when do you buy tickets at the door?

emoeric on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tickets are available for purchase in person at the Registration booth each day of PAX, starting at (I think) 8 am. You can also order now online and pick it up at Will-Call. Either way, you'll be going to Reg first thing.

Once a map of the con is released, you can see where to find Reg.

Liger on
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    emoeric wrote: »
    I honestly tried to use the search option but it only took me to this thread and I'm not going through 42 pages. Sorry...

Where/when do you buy tickets at the door?

42 pages filled with WIN!

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    SweetJezebelSweetJezebel Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I think will call will be faster, but that's just a guess.

And playing games is what PAX is all about, it can definitely happen with anything you're interested in.

Thanks. Maybe it'll be best to buy in advance and pick things up on Thursday evening.

Is it possible to buy a ticket for, say, Sunday on Friday?

I'm not sure if my company's going to want or need me there for all three days :)

SweetJezebel on
  • Options
    TacoCloneTacoClone Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys, do anyone know what information is on the piece of paper in this picture? The text is small and unreadable. All I know is that it's something about PAX 2008 Information. Is it just something given to companies attending the expo?

Picture Found Here

Any information would be helpful. Thanks guys!

TacoClone on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i assume that's the letter that got sent out with the pax badges...if so, you can see it better in the "Got My Badge" thread.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    TacoCloneTacoClone Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Ah, yeah, that is it. However, there's another piece of paper between the letter and the pass that appears to have very large print on it. I still can't figure out what that is. Any more thoughts?

Also, thanks for the help!

TacoClone on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can someone explain the whole jackals thing? At first I thought it was about the e for all guys, but then it calls the expo, "an expo for jackals"

i r confused

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    in the '07 handout, it said something about making it a better expo, and there would be almost no jackals. You can find the full story in one of Moe_Fwacky's posts in the Got My Badge thread

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can someone explain the whole jackals thing? At first I thought it was about the e for all guys, but then it calls the expo, "an expo for jackals"

i r confused

I think it's just a random stab at a joke. Don't look too deeply into it. It has as much meaning as "Stairway to Heaven".

redhalo on
This discussion has been closed.