As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So here's a silly question. Would I be able to get Windows XP Professional running on a 64 bit processor?

I'm not sure I want to do vista yet.

EDIT: I found out for myself: yes.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    So here's a silly question. Would I be able to get Windows XP Professional running on a 64 bit processor?

Wouldn't recommend it. Microsoft pretty much gave up on XP 64 before Vista came out, and now that Vista 64 exists it's been completely dropped. Driver support was always pretty spotty and the performance gains aren't significant enough to warrant it.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zante wrote: »
    I really wasn't expecting to spend close to 2 grand on a new computer, I was thinking it would be around 1200.

How wrong I was.

Case: ($195) Antec P182 Performance One Black ATX Mid Tower http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=25273
    Video Card: (TBA,~$600USD) GeForce 9800GX2
    RAM: ($288) Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 5-5-5-15 Dominator Airflow Fan http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=111&bid=2&sid=29762
    CPU: ($297) Intel CORE 2 Q6600/2.4Ghz/2x4MB/1066FSB/LGA77 http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=13&bid=2&sid=25771
    HDDs: ($259) 2x Western Digital 36.7G SATA Raptor 10000 rpm HDD (16M), RAID0 http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=129&bid=2&sid=18449
    Motherboard: ($152) Asus P5N-E-SLI S775 QuadCore nF650i-SLI 2xPCIEx16 RAID GbLAN 1394a ATX http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=106&bid=2&sid=21738

Luckily I already have a serviceable 550W PSU. I might not get the Dual Raptors, but I've heard things really are noticeably faster with them. Does anyone here have experience with dual raid0 striped raptors? The limited space doesn't bother me because I have a spare 500GB drive for storage.

I hope you don't get burnt by umart's return policy.

The Rocking M on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    does anyone have any recommended cases they like?

i'm basically looking for a mid-size tower, nothing hugenormous, that comes with a removable motherboard tray and decent airflow.
    (gunmetal gray would be a plus :o)

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    PhnxPhnx Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

Wouldn't recommend it. Microsoft pretty much gave up on XP 64 before Vista came out, and now that Vista 64 exists it's been completely dropped. Driver support was always pretty spotty and the performance gains aren't significant enough to warrant it.

I think he just meant running 32bit on a 64bit processor which, as he has found out, runs fine (and always has done)

Phnx on
    _phnx.png
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For case, there's really nothing better than the Lian-Li re-branded case at Best Buy

It's fucking huge, but it's an all aluminum case with 3 120-mm fans for $119. All of which are just rebranded lian-li.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Antec p182

I just got one, It doesnt have the removable mobo tray, but I love it anyways.

There is no software controlled fan speed, instead there are 2 toggles on the back to control the fan speed manually. It seems like a weird idea, but once you get used to it it is $$$.

A little pricey, but quiet as hell and I wouldnt ask for anything else.

alcoholic_engineer on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wish the 9800s would come out already. I have been waiting for months now and it is so close now, I can taste it.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really wasn't expecting to spend close to 2 grand on a new computer, I was thinking it would be around 1200.

How wrong I was.

Case: ($195) Antec P182 Performance One Black ATX Mid Tower http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=25273
    RAM: ($288) Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 5-5-5-15 Dominator Airflow Fan http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=111&bid=2&sid=29762
    CPU: ($297) Intel CORE 2 Q6600/2.4Ghz/2x4MB/1066FSB/LGA77 http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=13&bid=2&sid=25771
    HDDs: ($259) 2x Western Digital 36.7G SATA Raptor 10000 rpm HDD (16M), RAID0 http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=129&bid=2&sid=18449
    Motherboard: ($152) Asus P5N-E-SLI S775 QuadCore nF650i-SLI 2xPCIEx16 RAID GbLAN 1394a ATX http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=106&bid=2&sid=21738

Luckily I already have a serviceable 550W PSU. I might not get the Dual Raptors, but I've heard things really are noticeably faster with them. Does anyone here have experience with dual raid0 striped raptors? The limited space doesn't bother me because I have a spare 500GB drive for storage.

Oh? You've had/know of some bad experiences with them? I've purchased this and that from there before, but this is the first time I'll be ordering an entire computer's worth of components. What's the deal?
    does anyone have any recommended cases they like?

i'm basically looking for a mid-size tower, nothing hugenormous, that comes with a removable motherboard tray and decent airflow.

Like someone else said, check out the Antec P182. That's what I'm using in my new computer very soon.
    I wish the 9800s would come out already. I have been waiting for months now and it is so close now, I can taste it.

Yep, same boat here. I'm just wondering how long it will take after release for Australian vendors to get them in stock.

Zante on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been saving up my measly paychecks to upgrade my what is now three-four year old computer. Yeah, I miss having a Geforce 6800 and being happy playing Oblivion at an un-stable 30 FPS without HDR. Hell, or playing Doom 3 at 45 with max settings. That was the shit! I remember how excited I was buying my 3200+..My first 64-bit processer. I was in the future!

But it's all junk now; and my videocard likes to overheat and crash when I play any demanding game (TF2, Doom 3, BF2) for more then 30 minutes. And seeing how I really want to play Crysis, I might aswell go ahead and upgrade. But will this last me more then about two years?

RAM: G.Skill 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($80)
    CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz ($189)
    GPU:EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit($229)
    Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX ($89)

So would this be enough to run any PC game out fluidly and beautifully?

Sanius on
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sanius wrote: »
    I've been saving up my measly paychecks to upgrade my what is now three-four year old computer. Yeah, I miss having a Geforce 6800 and being happy playing Oblivion at an un-stable 30 FPS without HDR. Hell, or playing Doom 3 at 45 with max settings. That was the shit! I remember how excited I was buying my 3200+..My first 64-bit processer. I was in the future!

But it's all junk now; and my videocard likes to overheat and crash when I play any demanding game (TF2, Doom 3, BF2) for more then 30 minutes. And seeing how I really want to play Crysis, I might aswell go ahead and upgrade. But will this last me more then about two years?

RAM: G.Skill 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($80)
    CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz ($189)
    GPU:EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit($229)
    Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX ($89)

So would this be enough to run any PC game out fluidly and beautifully?

it's a good start, just realize that you'll probably need to pick up vista 64 bit to utilize all of the ram you'll be rockin' out in that bad boy :P

hush on
    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone know a good place to have a PC built for me? I know the components I want, but don't like or have the time to put a PC together (busy schedule, new baby). A friend said he ordered from cyberpowerpc and didn't pay Alienware prices for the PC, but they won't ship to my work address cause my bank doesn't list it (it only shows my home address). Any suggestions?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Could I get an opinion on Samsung 206BW vs Viewsonic VX2235WM. I wouldn't have even considered a 22 inch monitor, except the price is so close to this 20 inch. Also it caught my eye because we have the viewsonics in some labs at uni, and the first time I saw them I almost fell over myself. But I've never used them for anything more than text-editing.

I really just want a monitor capable of playing games without making my eyes bleed. Mostly EVE at the moment, but probably some Steam-based stuff too. I probably spend about a third of my time on my computer using text-editors, a third reading forums etc and a third for gaming. I don't think I really 'need' a 22 inch monitor more than I do a 20 inch, but goddamn it's so pretty.

exis on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I just had a computer meltdown, figured out it was the mobo or the CPU or both. Just replaced both. I got a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and a Core2Quad Q6600.

I was going to upgrade from the stock cooling later this week when I got my new case but I was having major issues from the start. Idling, I was getting >100C from Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool. Went back to Fry's (It turns out the third time really is the charm) and got a Zalman CNPS9500. Installation took about 20 minutes but damn was it worth it. My PC is pretty much silent now and I'm hovering around 47C with Prime95 running it's highest heat torture test.

Go Zalman, boo Intel.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Callius wrote: »
    For case, there's really nothing better than the Lian-Li re-branded case at Best Buy

It's fucking huge, but it's an all aluminum case with 3 120-mm fans for $119. All of which are just rebranded lian-li.

holy crap that's ginormous.

it's a good deal, sure, but i definitely don't want something that big D:

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I actually like the size. I have a Lian-Li case myself, and there's enough expansion room to do pretty much anything in there, even watercooling. I could put 12 hard drives in the case if I wanted to. These are made primarily as server cases, but you know what, my home computer has specs greater than some of the servers I worked with in DC, so why not spoil that little guy with some leetzorz casing.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    imbalanced wrote: »

I actually like the size. I have a Lian-Li case myself, and there's enough expansion room to do pretty much anything in there, even watercooling. I could put 12 hard drives in the case if I wanted to. These are made primarily as server cases, but you know what, my home computer has specs greater than some of the servers I worked with in DC, so why not spoil that little guy with some leetzorz casing.

i have a fairly full-size Antec case now, and i learned that i really don't need all that much space.

i mean, i guess its nice if you're going to be doing upgrading, but i don't see my future system using more than two optical drives and two hard drives, or even loading up on peripheral cards other than a graphics card and maybe a wireless PCI card.

eh, different strokes.

also, holy hell is it ridiculous now to find a decent Intel CPU line in stock. Intel's pulling a Nintendo!

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    My 9800gx2 and sound blaster x-fi sound card came in today. I'm installing them both tomorrow. My question for you guys is what do I do right now to prep for it?

My computer right now has a 7900gtx in it and onboard audio, to be replaced with the 9800gx2 and sound card. What should I do to make sure everything goes smoothly with the installation?

Urian on
  • Options
    imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    My 9800gx2 and sound blaster x-fi sound card came in today. I'm installing them both tomorrow. My question for you guys is what do I do right now to prep for it?

My computer right now has a 7900gtx in it and onboard audio, to be replaced with the 9800gx2 and sound card. What should I do to make sure everything goes smoothly with the installation?

Check your power supply if you haven't to make sure it can handle that new vid card. You also might have to update your video drivers if you haven't done that in a while.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I have a 700w power supply which seems to be enough.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

How wrong I was.

Oh? You've had/know of some bad experiences with them? I've purchased this and that from there before, but this is the first time I'll be ordering an entire computer's worth of components. What's the deal?[/quote]

I built a computer for my brother with parts bought from umart and the motherboard eventually died so i took it back to umart to make a warranty claim and they told me it would take 14 business day to get it back to me. 14 business days ended up being taking 5 weeks and when we got the motherboard back it was still faulty. It probably wasn't umart's fault for taking so long to get us the motherboard back or that it was still faulty it was their return policy (read under the header warranty claims that really got to me.

The Rocking M on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Looking for some advice on PSU's.

I just got an Intel Q6600 and I'm planning on OC'ing it. I've already got some good cooling for it (Zalman CNPS9500) but I'm concerned about power. This is what's gonna be in it:

CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600
    Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 1066
    Video: 8800GTS 320
    one optical drive and one SATA hard drive.
    No add in cards.

My current power supply is a 430W Thermaltake (this one) and I'm guessing it's not enough to run the above spec's at anything but stock. What kind of wattage do I need or is it the amps on the 12V rail that are most important?

I'm thinking of this 550W from Seasonic. Yay or nay?

edit: Been reading reviews at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com which seems like a really great site for PSU reviews. They take them apart and analyze the individual components, and run just about every test imaginable. They gave this Antec very high marks. They found that it could actually deliver 650W at 50C, 100W over what it's rated. This is extremely rare for PSU's. It's also manufactured by Seasonic and appears to be from the same line, S12, as the one I linked above. Only difference is that it has modular cables which I really wanted.

I also found a review on there for the PSU I have now and found out it's a total piece of crap, doesn't even deliver 430W as advertised but 350W so I'm glad I didn't try to OC with it.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Phnx wrote: »
    meatflower wrote: »

I think he just meant running 32bit on a 64bit processor which, as he has found out, runs fine (and always has done)

Yes, this. Thanks!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm looking to upgrade to a new computer and condense everything from my wife's box and mine. Right now I've got an uber-crappy PIII 933 XP box with 512 megs of RAM from about 2001, and hers is a whole year newer. Obviously, just about anything we get will be a MASSIVE improvement. I'm probably looking at prebuilt boxes since I don't have a single salvageable component AND need a copy of Vista.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, about $500 or so. Most important is that it have a huge hard drive for photos and video, and hopefully a capture card to function as a solid media center. If I do any gaming it won't be bleeding edge (mostly a console guy out of necessity), so the video card can be super budget range or even integrated (maybe?).

I'm looking at this refurbished piece from Fry's right now. the RAM is a bit slow and I might have to pick up a video card at some point but it looks like it just blows everything else available at around $500 clear out of the water. Would this be a pretty safe choice for me?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    EvilWombleEvilWomble Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hi, i've lurked on these forums for a long time now and seen that you guys know your stuff about building computers. I'm thinking of buying a new computer in the next couple of weeks and would really appreciate if you could look at its componants and let me know how well it will run fairly newish games. Thanks in advance!

Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.80GHz
    Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe DDR2
    Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x1GB)
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3
    Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200RPM SATA-II
    Samsung 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
    Sony Floppy Drive
    OnBoard Sound
    OCZ Stealth 600W Power Supply

(For an extra £21 i can get Corsair 4GB DDR2 800MHz Memory, is the upgrade worth it?)

EvilWomble on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The X48 boards are out now. Are there are ever going to be dual DDR2/DDR3 boards or do I just have to pick one?

Esh on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hi guys, ordering in a couple of days once they get the processor in stock (I'm from Norway so not much use in linking the site).

I like this setup a lot, but I'm open to suggestions.

WESTERN DIGITAL Digital Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM || x2 /w RAID

eVGA GeForce 9800GX2 1GB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I/ HDMI || What exactly can I do with the HDMI slot aside from connecting it to any future HDTV's I'm planning on buying? Can I record my PS3 gaming?

CREATIVE SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional, 64MB, EAX® ADVANCED HD

ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case || The case has efficient cooling, but maybe space problems?

CORSAIR Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 2048MB, DDR2,2x1GB(KIT), DHX, E.P.P, CL5-5-5-15-2T || x2 With Vista 64bit, they don't have the 4096MB kit in PC8500 at my site so will going with this one times two hurt me a little?

LOGITECH G15 KEYBOARD

LOGITECH G5 Laser Mouse + Steelseries 5L Professional Gaming Mousepad = win

INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66Ghz 12MB 45nm FSB || Planning to overclock it.

ZALMAN CNPS9700LED Ultra Quiet CPU cooler

eVGA nForce 780i SLI, nForce-780i SLI, Socket-775, DDR2, 2xGbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)16 || Would it be worth it to go for the 790i one? It's a lot more expensive.

LG DVD-burner GSA-H58N

CORSAIR Powersupply 750W Black, ATX/EPS, 140mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI

SAMSUNG 22" LCD WIDE 1680X1050 2MS SM226CW 3000:1 PIANO BLACK NS

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Esh wrote: »
    The X48 boards are out now. Are there are ever going to be dual DDR2/DDR3 boards or do I just have to pick one?

These boards support both ddr2 and ddr3.

The Rocking M on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I wonder when Newegg.com is gonna start carrying that.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Just noticed, that's not the board I was looking for. Wrong North Bridge. I need the X48.

Esh on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    X48 chipset based mobos should all support DDR2 and 3

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    X48 chipset based mobos should all support DDR2 and 3

On NewEgg the specifications only list DDR2 OR DDR3 on the boards that just came out.

Esh on
  • Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So,
    I'm coming out of the dark ages and getting a new mobo and gpu (keeping my intel old dual core)
    My question is: My case has usb ports in the front and on top. How can I tell if mobos will have the connectors for such extra usb ports on the case. I have the wiring luckly.

If I have the slightest clue of where I'm thinking it'd be here: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813131196 btw

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What kind of performance difference is there between DDR2 and DDR3? Is it worth the price difference?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What kind of performance difference is there between DDR2 and DDR3? Is it worth the price difference?

the scuttlebutt on the forums i've been to all point to DDR3 being a huge waste of money right now.

DDR2 ram is plenty fast already and can be overclocked if you really need to. by the time DDR3 becomes useful, we'll be looking at the new Intel Nehalem processors and whatever new thing AMD has up its sleeves.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008

the scuttlebutt on the forums i've been to all point to DDR3 being a huge waste of money right now.

DDR2 ram is plenty fast already and can be overclocked if you really need to. by the time DDR3 becomes useful, we'll be looking at the new Intel Nehalem processors and whatever new thing AMD has up its sleeves.

I'm thinking this motherboard and this RAM. I was also thinking about this RAM. I can just plug that in and have it work fine with this board right? No OCing needed?

Thoughts?

Esh on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hope people answer stickies, because my build is based on massive savings from rebates and combos which work together to save me $$$. My goal was to build something one tier below top-grade.

Case: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $70

Power: RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX-700 ATX12V / EPS12V 700W SLI Power Supply 100 - 240 V - $140 - 35 rebate = $105

Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel - $150

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core - $250

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit - $115 - $40 rebate = $75

Video card: EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP - $205 - $30 rebate = $175

Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - $50

Now that adds up to $874, but there's a combo package between the power supply and video card (-$35) and between the processor and cooler (-$20). The total is $820. Now I only chose the power supply because it was combo-linked to the video card, which was a good deal. The processor was not really because it had no rebates from Newegg. If there was a way to get more than a $20 cheaper deal on the same processor (or mobo), I'd buy from there instead and get a different cooler if necessary. I already have the hard drives, monitor, etc, so no worries there.

What do you think? I need to order most of this by Tuesday or else I lose the chance to get $105 in rebates.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Veritas

I have that processor, and I do not feel that it needs a different heatsink. The stock one keeps my temps 25 degrees celsius less the my old computer. Maybe if you want to do some mad overclocking, but I honestly dont think it is necessary.

Mobo - i dont think intel motherboards have sli. To my understanding they support crossfire only. This probably doesnt mean anything now, it just might be something to keep in mind if you plan on upgrading in a few years.

alcoholic_engineer on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, here I go for my new build. I want opinions.
    newbuiildrx1.jpg

The only things missing are the CPU and Video Card. I am waiting for the new Core 2 Quad Yorkfield 2.66GHz to come back in stock. The GPU will be a 9800GTX when they come out Tuesday. I hope the Q9450 is back in stock by the time the 9800GTX drops.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Ok, here I go for my new build. I want opinions.
    newbuiildrx1.jpg

The only things missing are the CPU and Video Card. I am waiting for the new Core 2 Quad Yorkfield 2.66GHz to come back in stock. The GPU will be a 9800GTX when they come out Tuesday. I hope the Q9450 is back in stock by the time the 9800GTX drops.

Buy something sensible for about 1/3rd of the price, save the extra money then buy another PC in 2 years time?

Rook on
This discussion has been closed.