As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] CYOP: The Fourth Planet From Phaltair (Students Win!)

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hay Seamen, I gots you guys a logo you can use:

veggiepiratesmovietq2.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Didn't we kill Richy early last time, too? Or was that someone else?

Satan. on
  • Options
    Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm glad that you've all accepted me as Baron of the Anarchs. I think I may consider declaring myself some sort of...Divine Overlord. What is the general opinion on this potential declaration? The Divine Overlord cares about the feelings of the populace.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ARTHUR:
    Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
    WOMAN:
    Order, eh? Who does he think he is? Heh.
    ARTHUR:
    I am your king!
    WOMAN:
    Well, I didn't vote for you.

Quoth on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Didn't we kill Richy early last time, too? Or was that someone else?
    I died on night 2 last game I played (the Forum Phalla).

EDIT: I was killed by the bad guys.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You don't vote for kings. The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Buzz Buzz, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Quoth on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    I'm glad that you've all accepted me as Baron of the Anarchs. I think I may consider declaring myself some sort of...Divine Overlord. What is the general opinion on this potential declaration? The Divine Overlord cares about the feelings of the populace.

Is Divine Overlord kinda like God-Emperor?

Just curious :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I, for one, welcome our Divine Overlord.

JPants on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Deity king has a better ring to it I think.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    El Skid wrote: »

Is Divine Overlord kinda like God-Emperor?

Just curious :P

The Divine Overlord is a completely original entity. Any resemblance to living God-Emperors is purely coincidental. :P

Also, Diety King isn't bad, but we think Divine Overlord has a better ring to it ourselves.

And JPants, your loyalty is noted. Perhaps, if we find you to be sufficiently not traitorous, we may someday invite you to serve the Divine Overlord. Until that time, remain loyal, for the eyes of the Divine Overlord are ever open, and you do not wish to risk provoking our terrible wrath.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, Diety King isn't bad

Don't make any fat jokes around the Diety King. He's pretty sensitive about it.

cheez on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Divine Overlord has nothing on God-Emperor, or His Divine Eminence. Frankly, I'm a little concerned about our latest godhead's tastes.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    !vote RBB

It may not count now...but soon. You shall cower before the might of the Divine Overlord!

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    ArtuxArtux Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First Period

Early the next morning, you are dropped off in front of your school auditorium. You take a moment to check your gear--backpack over one shoulder, Trapper Keeper tucked under the opposite arm, Converse hi-tops properly double-laced--and nod in satisfaction before heading up the front lawn. Whatever this is about, you think, it'll be no sweat.

As you approach the auditorium, though, things begin to stand out--and not in a good way. For one thing, you don't recognize any of the kids filing in through the front doors. They look to be the bookish type, like you, and they seem to have the same slightly-bewildered look that you imagine you do...but they aren't your classmates. Come to think of it, the teacher taking the forms at the front door is a new face, too. He barely gives you a glance as you drop your completed form on the stack, the 'A' option circled carefully. It wasn't really a hard choice, in the end--you've been on a sci-fi kick lately--but the whole thing still strikes you as strange.

You and the other kids file into the auditorium, muttering in the uncertain, sulky voices used by children of a certain age (you read that in a magazine once, and liked the sound of it) who do not yet know each other. More unfamiliar-looking teachers usher you down one side of the hall and into the front rows, so that you are gathered together in one large block of seats. There you all wait, fidgeting and tense, as yet more adults (who none of you seem to recognize) appear to set up an overhead projector on stage.

Finally, a kid behind you hisses the common, unspoken thought over your heads:

'Are we in trouble or something?'

With that, the tense silence breaks, and you start to mutter nervously amongst yourselves. There can't be any other explanation, can there? None of us know each other, we don't know these teachers, why we're here...

Maybe they're from the government, another voice mutters.

...Come on, man, that's crazy talk...

But now the conversation has an undercurrent of fear. That's when the stage lights snap on.

--

"Uh, hello? Hello, there. Can you all hear me?"

The speaker is a tall, healthy-looking man in a suit. You don't really recognize him, nor the rugged-looking man in the flannel shirt next to him, but a couple of the kids nearby let out little gasps of recognition as if they do.

'My name is Mr. Artux," continues the first man, "and I am the Superintendent of Schools for this area."

The chattering abruptly stops. In unison, a terrifying thought leaps into your minds: We are in trouble.

The Superintendent pauses for a moment, as if savoring the attention.

"...well. I'll get right to it, then. Thank you all for coming.

"First, let me introduce the gentleman to my right. This is Edward Phallard." He gestures to his darker-haired companion, who smiles and nods with a little wave. "If you don't know, Mr. Phallard is the principal author for the Choose Your Own Phalla series of adventure books."

Hisses of 'I knew it!' and 'No way!' drift around you. You frown. Now you vaguely remember seeing Phallard's face on the back of one of your book jackets, an original printing of his first work. Curiouser and curiouser...

"So, I'm sure you're all wondering the same thing: Why are you here?" Mr. Artux continues. "To put it simply, you have three things in common. First, you are all in the same grade. Secondly," he says, "you are all participants in our 'Read Around The World' program, which rewards those exceptional students who read the most pages over the school year."

The Superintendent reaches up to adjust his glasses before continuing.

"In fact...each one of you was the winner at your particular school. By a wide margin."

You all look at each other with new eyes. We're all winners? Maybe this isn't bad after all! you hear. But your mind still races. What does that have to do with Phallard?

"Now, normally, we wouldn't have any concern about this. We love to see young readers being so...energetic. However, all of you also have something else in common, which caught the eye of the School Board."

Oh, no. Now you know what this is about. The other kids go quiet again; they also feel the 'but' looming in the Superintendent's speech.

Mr. Artux looks up from his notes to peer at the assembly. "Long story short: You have all listed a significant amount of pages as coming from Mr. Phallard's books. This would not be a problem, except that upon further investigation, we have found out that on one read-through, it's unlikely that you could possibly read more than a quarter of a typical work. And some of you have listed all of his books. Several times." The Superintendent clears his throat. "Now, after discussing this with Mr. Phallard, we--"

Off to your left, a cracking voice stammers, "D-d-do you think we ch-ch-cheated?!"

A rolling wave of indignation rises from the assembly. As with most adults, the Superintendent appears supremely unmoved, though Phallard looks slightly embarrassed.

Mr. Artux frowns. "Did I say that? Or do you have something you'd like to share?"

"N-no!"

"Then listen, please. You're all smart kids. Think about it; if we thought you all were cheaters, why would we ask you to come here? Invite one of the country's most popular youth authors? Have your parents sign permission slips, of all things?" He shakes his head. "If we wanted you punished, you'd all be sitting in your own principals' offices. No, you're not all cheaters."

The Superintendent raises a finger.

"Only six of you are."

The room goes dead silent. Every student, including yourself, cranes his or her head around, trying and failing to read guilt on similarly panicked faces. You hope, desperately, that they can't see the shame in your eyes. It's not like I did it a lot! you think. How did they find out?!

"...but," Mr. Artux continues, "again--we aren't here to punish anyone. After discussing this with the school board, and getting in touch with Mr. Phallard, we've decided that it would be counterproductive to make you feel guilty about reading."

A little late for that, you think ruefully. But...why mention cheaters at all, then?

"In fact, we're here because Mr. Phallard, after hearing our story, suggested a fun idea that avid fans such as yourselves should be very eager to participate in. I trust that all of you will treat him with the proper respect and attention that you would give your teachers." He peers around for a moment at the silent throng, than nods. "Edward?"

Phallard steps up to the podium, taking a moment to shake the Superintendent's hand warmly. It seems like they know each other well, you mutter to yourself. There has to be something more to this. It's too elaborate.

"Thank you, Mr. Artux. Good morning, kids. First of all, thanks for coming. It's always wonderful for me to meet people who have read my work, but it's especially great to see so many children who are as ardent in their reading habits as you are." He smiles. "When Ardor got in touch with me on behalf of the school board, I was just stunned to see how dedicated you guys are! It's really amazing! So when they told me about their concerns, I was thinking...you know, not 'how would you punish people', because that never works..."

He motions with one arm to the teachers ranged along the sides of the auditorium, while flicking on the first overhead projector. The overlay draws an immediate reaction from you and the other students:
    AD ASTRA PER PHALLA

"So, uh, I had something new that I've been working on, and I told Ardor--I mean, 'Mr. Artux'--'Ardor, I think these kids would really love this, and, you know, if we read through this all together, and you guys help me out with input and comments...it could be really cool.'"

'Ardor'?

You look carefully at the Superintendent, then at the overhead. It can't be...! The commander of the ship in that book had the same name! Was he based on him?

Something heavy lands in your lap. You look down in bewilderment; it looks like a green notebook, but the inside is electronic, with a touch keyboard and a three-line display that resembles a glorified Speak 'n' Spell. Brief experimentation reveals to you that the cover folds up to act as a blinder, shielding the keys from outward view. The murmurs around you indicate that the other students have received similar gifts.

"'Now, you all have this great electronic device. Some friends of mine have been working on this for a while now, and they offered to personally let us borrow a few prototypes for today's game. It's our hope that these devices will be helpful for students such as yourselves who could really make use of the latest technology. Today, we're mainly going to use them to count votes for us, but they can be used for a lot of different applications."

Phallard gestures to the overhead. "So what we're going to do is this. We're going to all read through the story together on the screen. I'll flip pages on the overhead, and when we get to a story choice, you will all vote on what to pick. The choice that gets the most votes will be the choice we take. If it's a bad ending, we'll go back and pick again. Sounds simple, right? Not so fast!"

The author gestures again. This time, pairs of envelopes land in your laps. One is marked READ FIRST, and the other is marked READ SECOND - PRIVATE.

"That's just the story part. We're also playing a guessing game of sorts.

"Set these up inside your blinders. When I say so, you'll all open up the first envelope. Six of those envelopes say that you're a cheater. That just means you're playing a 'bad guy', and the goal for you guys is to not get caught 'cheating'. Some others of you will get specialized roles that will help you all to find these bad guys. All of you will just get basic information about the game, so that you can't use your messages to identify each other." Phallard nods. "Go ahead and open those now. And...well, this is a game, so." He grins lopsidedly. "Try not to give away what you are."

The sound of tearing envelopes saws through the air. You read the contents with as stony a face as you can muster, then try to catch glimpses of your seatmates. It looks like they're taking the same tack; oh, well. You refocus your attention back on Phallard, who appears to be waiting expectantly.

"Okay, if everyone's good with those, I have a warning for you before you open the private envelopes." His face grows stern. "It's very important that you not share the contents of this envelope with anyone, unless it explicitly states otherwise. This is personal information for you alone. We don't want anybody cheating for real, all right?"

He pauses, letting those words sink in.

"Go ahead and open the private envelopes. Don't let anybody see them."

Again, paper shreds all around you. Your eyes widen; scattered, stifled exclamations betray that some of your fellow students may have received similar information. Phallard lets the information sink in for a minute, then goes on.

"This is what's going to happen." He throws up a slide on the overhead explaining the rules, and you quickly get lost in reading through them.

"Now, any other questions before we begin?"

You raise your hand. This one has been bugging you for some time now, and the longer you waited through the interminable instructions, the more irritated you'd become.

"Mr. Phallard, don't we already know how 'Ad Astra Per Phalla' ended?"

The author's eyes twinkle slightly. "Why, yes, we do. How did it end?"

"Well...it was weird," you say, momentarily forgetting that you are speaking to the guy who wrote it. "I kept taking all the paths I could think of, but no matter what, the best I could do was to end up with the human race being captured by the blobby guys. It was kind of depressing."

Phallard nods sagely. "Indeed it was. Just think of how it was for me to write it. But that's where this whole experiment comes in. You see, we aren't reading through that book..."

He swaps out the title card on the overhead with a new one. It reads:
    THE FOURTH PLANET FROM PHALTAIR

"...we're reading the sequel!"

Artux on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    PMs are being drafted and released.

When both sets of PMs are completed, the first chapter will be put up and you may begin voting officially.

(I am not counting any votes prior to the first chapter narration.)

Artux on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, when I grow up, I want to be awesome like tuxkamen...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mysterious!

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Awesome.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hey! My envelope was pink....

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    OH SHIT

I remember Ad Astra Per Phalla! It's the one where no one listened to my observation that the village's current path of idiotic bandwagons would lead to doom, one person (Grundl) actively tried to screw me and the village over with his dumb plan and accusations, and my own teammate (Squashua) backstabbed me and killed our guild!

And you're making me relive that!? In a sequel!?!?

Cruel and Unusual Punishment.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No, the Cruel and Unusual Punishment is us having to listen to you bitch about what happened in past phallas...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Me likey.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think that we all got backstabbed by our respective guilds at some point during AAPP.

Hell, I was ultra backstabbed by someone, though I can't remember who.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Since it might be relevant, could someone give us a run-down of the rules and story of Ad Astra Per Phalla?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I remember being mocked in the narrations when I died.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Since it might be relevant, could someone give us a run-down of the rules and story of Ad Astra Per Phalla?
    Ho geez, that would take a month.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I remember serving some Consortium of ships devoted to something called a "God-Emperor" in Ad Astra. How fitting, then, that a Divine Overlord has risen to have a legion of troops devoted to him in time for this event.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Ho geez, that would take a month.
    Well, the rules, particularly.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I idiotically read this and sat there wondering how Ardor-tux managed to make it so that I could only see the narration for the choice I had posted... yeah. It doesn't help that I'm reading Guardians of the Flame right now.

Quoth on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sadistic genius.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No, the Cruel and Unusual Punishment is us having to listen to you bitch about what happened in past phallas...

The horror, the horror...

Would you like some cheez to complement your whine?

• Options
    edited January 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    OH SHIT

I remember Ad Astra Per Phalla! It's the one where no one listened to my observation that the village's current path of idiotic bandwagons would lead to doom, one person (Grundl) actively tried to screw me and the village over with his dumb plan and accusations, and my own teammate (Squashua) backstabbed me and killed our guild!

And you're making me relive that!? In a sequel!?!?

Cruel and Unusual Punishment.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I really wanted to do B, by the way, and was considering talking about a desert sky, but your choice is my command.

Also, I don't need to hear about what happened last time. We can play with 49, too.

RBB: Suffice it to say that the village lost, barely. The mechanics of the game have no bearing on this one, but the story would be worth reading if you like to fall asleep early and often.

Artux on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh now I get what the choice meant.

Dammit guys sea could have meant pirates!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ardor wanted to do a desert theme?

Desert...island?

We missed out on Phalla Royale. Good job guys.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh right, this.

While zanmatto is really tempting, B:L really got on my nerves today.

• Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    ohmy gosh<3

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Now all the A people will listen to us B/C people whine.

I am going to get some cheese.

Look Out it's Sabs! on