As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thin CRT TVs??

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
I remember seeing last year or so a new technology they were trying to develop that used CRT technology but instead of a single tube, there was a tube for each pixel and it allowed TVs to have the thin profile of LCD but the response time and contrast of CRT, and a price that ranged between the two.

Did anyone hear anything about this technology at CES this year? Or heard of it since CES of last year?

It seems to have died off from what I can find myself, as LCDs have greatly improved, but I was curious whatever happened to it. I was hoping for something that would give us cheap large-screen TVs.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Flat-panel CRTs (I think they were called FEDs) are pretty much dead, nobody's heard anything about them in years.

Azio on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Flat-panel CRTs (I think they were called FEDs) are pretty much dead, nobody's heard anything about them in years.

SED, I believe.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Azio wrote: »

SED, I believe.

SED! Yes, that was it!
    On May 25, 2007, Canon again announced due to prolonged litigation, it will postpone the launch of SED televisions, originally planned for October-December of 2007. The company said it will announce a new launch date in the future.

:( Stupid litigations!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The death of SED makes me sad. Oh well... OLED looks promising.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I agree, I'm liking what I've seen of OLED's. The only problem is it'll be at least 3 years before the cost to size ratio approaches anything close to affordable.

Right now Sony is the only one with a line of them ready to ship. And the first one to hit stateside is an 11" one that costs more than 2,500 bucks.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I agree, I'm liking what I've seen of OLED's. The only problem is it'll be at least 3 years before the cost to size ratio approaches anything close to affordable.

Works for me; it'll be at least 3 years before I can afford to replace my gigantic (but beautiful) HD CRT. (decidedly not thin).

Daedalus on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering what ever happened to it. I would definitely get one if they ever get affordable.

That_Guy on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Works for me; it'll be at least 3 years before I can afford to replace my gigantic (but beautiful) HD CRT. (decidedly not thin).

I'm in the same boat. I upgraded to HD fairly early ('03) with a 55" 1080i Mitsubishi (amazingly deep blacks, picture's still as good today as when I bought it), but didn't get it completly paid off till the middle of '06.

I'm at least 2 years away from investing in another jamambo TV.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai