As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week 01/16/08 - In which Iron Fist once again wins hard

13»

• LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Big reveal at the end of Angel: After the Fall #3 was. . .well, big.
    Angel's human.

Lynx on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Fuuuuck why did I read that fuuuuuck.

Me Too! on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cable & Deadpool and New X-men are two issues full of winsauce! Pixie and Deadpool should have their own buddy comic. Srsly

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I agree. New X-Men was just chock full of win.

I finally picked up IIF 12.

FUUUUUUCK!
    The whole issue is just, oh god, so good. But the last few pages. Oh, man.

I cannot wait for the Orson/PoO one-shot.

Crimsondude on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lynx wrote: »
    Big reveal at the end of Angel: After the Fall #3 was. . .well, big.
    Angel's human.

wat

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    valiance wrote: »
    Firstly I don't see how we can have any gauge on how powerful POO really is. So.. how do you know?
    Well, kicking Davos' ass up one side of the arena and down another is a pretty good metric, especially when compared to his beat-down of TBD, and him being of equivalent power to Iron Fist (being his archnemesis and all).
    Secondly, does that even count as fighting? He turned into mist and like... ruined Steel Phoenix's shit. I don't think that's fighting. That's magic. I feel like when you turn into fuckin mist it's not martial arts anymore. I don't know why but somehow what POO did seems to cross a line that Steel Phoenix Blow (First Execution), Sumo Thunder Stomp and the Black Milk of Hell don't seem to. Anyone else feel this way?
    Not really. Well, not in any fictional depiction of magic I can think of. What he did was turn into mist, but still retained sufficient control over his body to physically strike Davos about the head and body until he was knocked out. It was still fighting, even if it wasn't two "proper" humanoids going one on one.

Fat Cobra took out several shaolin terror monks using the Sumo Thunder Stomp. He didn't physically touch them, but I'd still call that a martial arts blow. Especially since we're using crazy Chinese martial arts rules.

Outside of that, PoO is Amazing Man in all but name (for legal reasons). Amazing Man was a crazy badass martial artist (Which is the whole reason Bru and Frac wanted to use him, besides being according to Frac one of the base inspirations for Iron Fist). That he turns to green mist doesn't detract from that fact.

Oh, God. I want that Orson/Green Mist One-Shot now!
    Also for those still on the fence about which Iron Fist sig to use (Thanks Crimsondude for the cool sigs):
    6xhgo6v.jpg

If I was an elitist asshole, I'd say that if someone has never read those pages before now, then I don't want them using my sigs.

IF I was an elitist asshole.

Whew. Good thing we dodged that bullet. :P

EDIT: Also yeah it was martial arts, not magic, whatever. I was just throwing that out there. Good comments on Davos too. I really have nothing super insightful to add I just wanted to acknowledge that you guys answered what I asked.

valiance on
    edited January 2008
    So, re: Angel
    Is it safe to assume he fulfilled the prophecy, or is it something completely different?
    Or, do we just not know?

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    So, re: Angel
    Is it safe to assume he fulfilled the prophecy, or is it something completely different?
    Or, do we just not know?

It was a last page reveal, so we don't know

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think there's really two different ways to look at it......
    1. It's not the prophecy, it's something else. He signed away his chance at the prophecy already.

2. It IS the prophecy. Maybe you can't actually undo a real prophecy in the Buffyverse. Once it's been legitimately foretold, that's it. The only prophecy I remember being 'undone' from Buffy or Angel is the one about Angel killing Connor and that one was a fake in order to undo another prophecy....which was still fulfilled in the end.

Ninja Edit: Although on second thought, I guess the whole end of Buffy season 7 and the slayer mojo could be seen as undoing a prophecy.....sort of.....I guess...

Jayricho on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jayricho wrote: »
    I think there's really two different ways to look at it......
    1. It's not the prophecy, it's something else. He signed away his chance at the prophecy already.

2. It IS the prophecy. Maybe you can't actually undo a real prophecy in the Buffyverse. Once it's been legitimately foretold, that's it. The only prophecy I remember being 'undone' from Buffy or Angel is the one about Angel killing Connor and that one was a fake in order to undo another prophecy....which was still fulfilled in the end.

Ninja Edit: Although on second thought, I guess the whole end of Buffy season 7 and the slayer mojo could be seen as undoing a prophecy.....sort of.....I guess...
    It could also be a Wolfram & Hart punishment, making it harder for him to survive in LA Hell.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, the last time he went to a hell dimension, his human side was stronger when he was in human form and his demon side was stronger when he tried to vamp out. Maybe being sent to this dimension had a similar effect on him - maybe he's trapped in human form or something.

Or maybe he's been seperated from his demon side, and it's wandering around on it's own somewhere...

I really need to start buying this.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Concerning Prince of Orphans strength:
    I think we are over estimating his strength. Hasn't K'un Lun won the tournament a bunch of times since they can come to Earth and what not? Did PoO just throw his matches all these years? Surely this guy would be the undisputed champion every single year if he can beat everyone like he did Davos. Maybe he actually fights 'fair' in bouts and only used his green mist to teach Davos a lesson? Or maybe Davos thought it was an old man and missed the trick behind his technique? I don't know, but there's no way he's in this tourny and that powerful when its said he's been in previous ones. He would have won every time.

KVW on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I definitely think it's more "Davos underestimated him".

The Muffin Man on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm leaning towards "all of the immortal weapons could fucking murder each other if they wanted to but refrain and fight fair because it's a tournament.

Also, John Aman was hanging out with Orson before. I thought only the winner of the tournament could stalk the world of man?

Mai-Kero on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IIF Spoilers:
    I'm guessing that each city has it's own version of the Randall machine, and therefore each immortal weapon can stalk the world of man as they see fit. At least, I hope so - Fat Cobra and the others are too good to be discarded after this arc.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IIF Spoilers:
    I'm guessing that each city has it's own version of the Randall machine, and therefore each immortal weapon can stalk the world of man as they see fit. At least, I hope so - Fat Cobra and the others are too good to be discarded after this arc.
    See, if they do, then the whole point of the Competition is moot. I think it's going to be made moot anyways, because I think that K'un Lu'n (or however the fuck you put the apostrophes) and the 6 other cities are going to be pulled into the regular 616 universe. Also, why can't they each appear every 10 years on a different day? Or different years?

Fencingsax on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I definitely think it's more "Davos underestimated him".

this.

it was a martial arts technique. he's not
    a mutie/power/green mist. a powerful technique, but nothing more.
    im confident that Lei Kung the Thunderer could spread his ass out if they threw down

delphinus on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    IIF Spoilers:
    See, if they do, then the whole point of the Competition is moot. I think it's going to be made moot anyways, because I think that K'un Lu'n (or however the fuck you put the apostrophes) and the 6 other cities are going to be pulled into the regular 616 universe. Also, why can't they each appear every 10 years on a different day? Or different years?

I'm being selfish - I don't care if it makes the competition moot. Those characters should not be thrown away.

Also, they presumably all walked the Earth together when they formed a gang and went after Orson.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited January 2008
    I assumed that the cities all had a day where you could enter or leave the city, just the frequency changed based on the outcome of the tournament.

Me Too! on
    edited January 2008
    If I was an elitist asshole, I'd say that if someone has never read those pages before now, then I don't want them using my sigs.

To be fair I'm still an elitist asshole. Just not when it comes to stuff like this. Consider them available under the most open Creative Commons license.
    I assumed that the cities all had a day where you could enter or leave the city, just the frequency changed based on the outcome of the tournament.

The winner gets to come to Earth every ten years. Everyone else only gets to come out every fifty years.

And the books have suggested that the Iron Fist tends to win. While Aman can turn into green mist, every Iron Fist since the woman (whose name I forget) has had the ability to shoot chi at him. Every Davos has shown to have an energy projection technique similar to Fat Cobra's. Danny has just been at a loss since he never had the Book of the Iron Fist until now, but I am sure that will change and he'll be firing off Lightning From God at people in no time.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    She didn't just shoot chi, and neither did Orson.
    They channeled their chi into their weapons, which happened to be projectiles.

Me Too! on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, I am glad to see so much Iron Fist discussion.

Maybe Orson used the machine to travel to Aman's dimension?

I'm hoping we get to see more of the Immortal Weapons. I want to see them all fight HYDRA when the time comes. After that, I want to see them in mini series or something.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2008
    She didn't just shoot chi, and neither did Orson.
    They channeled their chi into their weapons, which happened to be projectiles.

Mere technicalities.

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actually, I think it is important. There needs to be something to charge. We have not seen an Iron Fist charge the air or anything like that. An Iron Fist probably cannot just shoot chi-balls like Goku, Ken or Ryu do.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2008
    Danny needs to charge the ends of his mask that hang loose and whip them around to beat people with.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008

To be fair I'm still an elitist asshole. Just not when it comes to stuff like this. Consider them available under the most open Creative Commons license.

duly noted, thanks.

The winner gets to come to Earth every ten years. Everyone else only gets to come out every fifty years.

And the books have suggested that the Iron Fist tends to win. While Aman can turn into green mist, every Iron Fist since the woman (whose name I forget) has had the ability to shoot chi at him. Every Davos has shown to have an energy projection technique similar to Fat Cobra's. Danny has just been at a loss since he never had the Book of the Iron Fist until now, but I am sure that will change and he'll be firing off Lightning From God at people in no time.

Wu Ao-Shi the Pirate Queen of Pinghai Bay.

Also on the Iron Fist's winning streak:

The current year is 2006, the tournaments are every 88 years so the last 2 tournaments were in 1830 and 1918. Orson refused to fight in 1918 so if the Iron Fist has a winning streak going, an Iron Fist must have won in 1830 and possibly before that. The tournament has weird rules if the person who runs can continue their winning streak, but I guess the tournament was canceled or something.

valiance on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

duly noted, thanks.

Wu Ao-Shi the Pirate Queen of Pinghai Bay.

Also on the Iron Fist's winning streak:

The current year is 2006, the tournaments are every 88 years so the last 2 tournaments were in 1830 and 1918. Orson refused to fight in 1918 so if the Iron Fist has a winning streak going, an Iron Fist must have won in 1830 and possibly before that. The tournament has weird rules if the person who runs can continue their winning streak, but I guess the tournament was canceled or something.
    Orson ran away and refused to fight.

Fencingsax on
    edited January 2008
    I said that I think. But duly noted.

valiance on
    edited January 2008
    Since Danny's not over fifty, I'm guessing there was some sort of general forfeiture in 1918.

Your avatar reminds me that I should have made those available as well.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    Since Danny's not over fifty, I'm guessing there was some sort of general forfeiture in 1918.

Your avatar reminds me that I should have made those available as well.

Yeah a general forfeiture seems to be what happened. Doesn't make much sense to me ruleswise. Seems to me like Orson should have gotten an auto-loss for running. I guess being the incumbent has its advantages?

valiance on
    edited January 2008
    Power has its privileges.

Crimsondude on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, it's heavily implied the tournament has its own weird rules, just as the convergent City of Heaven does. I would imagine that if even one of the seven Immortal Weapons can't or won't compete, then the tournament simply...can't continue.

There may even be a special rule that while a fighter can refuse to fight for personal reasons and thus pre-empty tournament, or the tournament will not continue if a fighter is indisposed, if the incumbent fighter refuses specifically to keep his cfity supreme then he is instead disqualifid and the tournament continues with his city automatically in last place.

Shadowen on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also they can change the rules of the tournament whenever they want - like adding the play in game for the fourth #16 seed...

wait

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited January 2008
    May I suggest taking this discussion to the Iron Fist thread?

Crimsondude on