As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lousy Everex customer support?

NibbleNibble Registered User regular
Everex is the company that made the $200 gPC, and now they're making a competitor to the Asus EEE PC -- the Cloudbook. It looks great, and I'm thinking of picking one up when they go on sale on the 25th; however, from looking at the customer forums, it seems that a lot of people have been having trouble with bad parts and unresponsive customer service.

I don't know if it's just biased because people who have no trouble with their computers feel no need to post on the forums, or if Everex really does have a reputation for this. Does anyone know? Has anyone had any personal experience with this company?

sig.php?id=178
Nibble on

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Efff that for 400$ For like 450$ you can find decent full size laptop, especially around back to school time.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've kind of been torn about the Cloudbook too. I like the idea of it, and I like the size and all that, but at the same time, as has been said, for the same price you can get a more full featured laptop. I have this weird mental fight because those lappies tend to be Celerons and Intel graphics chipsets though, and that turns me off straight away, whereas the Via processor doesn't for some reason. It seems like a mental thing about if I'm going to get a full size machine, I want something better, but a smaller machine gives it more leeway for some reason.

Anyway, if you do happen to pick up a Cloudbook, post some impressions. I read they're supposed to start stocking them at Walmart this weekend. Sorry I'm a bit off topic, but both your posts fell into what I've been considering today.

Aoi on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Efff that for 400$ For like 450$ you can find decent full size laptop, especially around back to school time.

I have a decent full-sized laptop. I want an ultraportable.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nibble wrote: »

I have a decent full-sized laptop. I want an ultraportable.

I would say get a Ipod touch then, lot smaller and pretty much does the same thing :P

There is more functionality on the cloud, but what would you need to run otherwise then internet/email/phone/music/video (and really, is the screen that much bigger on the cloud if that is why?)?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll get to fiddle with one this week. I'll let you guys know if it's worth a shit.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Any impressions yet, Chasm?

Aoi on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Unfortunately the release got delayed for a month or more, so he probably didn't get a chance to try one out.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

ever played with a $450 laptop with Vista on it. It's painful. We're talking low end celeron(Pentium Dual Core if you're lucky), shittiest 1GB of ram you can find, bad video chipset that's barely capable of running Vista.

for $50 less you get an ultra portable that does 95% of what Vista does, and runs better.

Besides, this machine won't be your primary machine anyway. it's something to compliment a better laptop or full desktop.

I know personally for me, I want to get an EEE before I will buy another full size laptop.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll be grabbing an EEE PC and the necessary upgrades in a few weeks. From what I've seen, it's a nice piece of hardware. Perfect for what I want it for.

Doronron on