As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Books

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    Shit, I agree with you, really. I just think that you could put a little more effort into not sounding like a total dipshit.

And you could put a little more effort into not sounding like a pompous ass. :P
    Man, that's my shtick. Or haven't you noticed?

naporeon on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shit, I agree with you, really. I just think that you could put a little more effort into not sounding like a total dipshit.

Nah, I've been gone for a while. I don't remember who most of you people are.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Nah, I've been gone for a while. I don't remember who most of you people are.
    Yeah. I do that too.

Then Pooro starts posting in a book thread, and I get drawn back in.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    Hitler wasn't really a vegetarian

i did hear that he was heavily into animal rights though, and regulated things like the killing and cooking of lobsters.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You know who else disapproves of eating lobsters?

Jews.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

i did hear that he was heavily into animal rights though, and regulated things like the killing and cooking of lobsters.

Last I heard, the consensus was that he thought highly of vegetarianism for health reasons, but still ate meat on occasion as a sort of indulgence. These things change so frequently as more information surfaces, though, that I wouldn't base any strong claims on it.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know who else disapproves of eating lobsters?

Jews.

I don't know why, but this post was hilarious and it made me chuckle quite a bit. Maybe it's because I am imagining a lad dressed as such as depicted in your sig and av saying such a thing.

While having a boner.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Last I heard, the consensus was that he thought highly of vegetarianism for health reasons, but still ate meat on occasion as a sort of indulgence. These things change so frequently as more information surfaces, though, that I wouldn't base any strong claims on it.
    Hitler was definitely a man of principle.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Yeah. Too bad one of those principles was "Jews must die".

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

That's just a myth.

Ugh really though, what is with people's fascination with Hitler. On like 4 other forums I really post on, there's been Hitler threads, and 4:20 is still a ways off...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hear Hitler was responsible for the Holocaust

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

That's just a myth.

Ugh really though, what is with people's fascination with Hitler. On like 4 other forums I really post on, there's been Hitler threads, and 4:20 is still a ways off...

People are fascinated by extremes.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So am I the only one that can't finish The Idiot by Dostoevsky? I've tried to finish it 3 times, but I can never do it. I always lose interest.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm like that with Heart of Darkness. It's just unbearably boring. English classic or not, it's as dull as dirt.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    People are fascinated by extremes.

I know that!

It's just Hitler this, Adolf that. No 9/11 Conspiracy theories anywhere, no evangelical fake posters, no terrorist scares; nothing!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man, what are you even talking about?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man, what are you even talking about?

I've seen now 5 good long threads about simply Hitler. (Not here, other forums...)

I don't know why, but this January, it seems the flavor of the month is Hitler. No other crazy shit, just Hitler. >_>

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    National Hitler Month

Lest we forget

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    National Hitler Month

Lest we forget

March seems more appropriate

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    National Hitler Month

Lest we forget

March seems more appropriate

That's what I was saying about 4/20.... it's not really that close enough to spark a good handful of threads simultaneously.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I wrote something really fast for fun. Here it is:
    At the Crack of Too Damn Early

Some ugly techno devilry is going off. What the Hell? It's too dark and I'm too poorly rested to make sense of anything. If bad techno was the sound a midnight assassin makes, then I'd be dead already.

The cell. It's the cellphone. It wants to warn me of something. But why? Oh yeah. Fuck. People are going to have to die for this. Who gets woken this early? Nothing important has ever happened before noon. If I start killing though-- and believe me, I wish there was a better way-- I'd be out of eight bucks an hour. Eight whole bucks an hour.

The Job. That old thing.

Five o'clock, the phone says. My alarm clock says that it's four fifty-eight in the morning, though I haven't set that for today since I'll just have to reset it later anyways. But that's all nonsense.

I find myself brushing my teeth. Something is amiss. Then I realize that I've put my face gel on my toothbrush and, in time, I'd probably put my toothpaste on my face. Ugh. It really is that damn early for anything other than sleeping. And weeping, which is what I find myself doing in the bathtub, next.

After I dry out, I slap on some clothes (on the first try) and go into the living room/kitchen only to find my roommates, the Twins, awake and eating pizza. Strange and eldritch pizza long lost by the the nations of Men. Even if I was fully awake, I'd be confused.

The Two That Are One just eye balled me, like "Of course, we're awake at Fuck O'Clock and of course you are here, as well."

One of the Two grinned, "Hello, James."

"Hey," is what I thougt I said, but it really came out as more of an angry grumble. "I'm gonna make a coffee." More grumbling.

They didn't let on that I wasn't speaking English, or any language. Everything in this meeting seemed to be fortold, as if they could only watch Fate unwind before them. Or maybe they just cute Americanism that they weren't familiar with.

The coffee brewed, I filled my Starbucks bulletproof mug up with the stuff and headed for the door. I looked back, they were munching on their pizza. One nodded. I shook my head. Then the other one spoke.

"Would you like some pizza?"

I had some coffee in me, but it wasn't entirely caught up with my brain. "Nah. . . good. . . go to work. Now." I opened the door and spilled out in the hateful pre-dawn cold and thought that at least I was better off than the poor dumb bastard opening a coffee shop in Russia.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just read Lies of Locke Lamora (Actually some days ago, but I need a hiatus from reading every once in a while).
    What should I get next? Are Scott Lynchs other books as good or better?

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What other books?

There's Red Seas under Red Skies, that's about it.

YaYa on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just read a Study In Scarlet for class

sherlock holmes etc etc

it was quite good

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    What other books?

Oh... Someone told me it was part of a longer story D:

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Urgel wrote: »
    What other books?

Gentlemen Bastards Sequence. The other 5 books haven't been written yet.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What other books?

Oh good, that means I'm digging it before it's popular to do so....

(Is this how this works?)

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This lack of a search function is killing me.

My ego can't cope.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What other books?

Yes. Now go read Matthew Stover's books before they become popular too.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What other books?

Yes. Now go read Matthew Stover's books before they become popular too.

Who should I dislike before it becomes popular?

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can I recommend An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson? Pulitzer Prize for non-fiction a couple years ago.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A book that I enjoy immensely is John Keegan's A History of Warfare.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't like catching series too early, because then you have to wait for every book.

captaink on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh yes! And The Polish Officer by Alan Furst. Espionage and war in the 1930s and 1940s. Very good.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I was at Borders today, and I picked up the new Anthony Horowitz book, Snakehead.
    It's the latest Alex Rider story (the ones about the 15 year old spy).
    It's also one of the few series I still get that I started reading when I was younger, the other big one being the Pendragon books.

Speaking of which, the new Pendragon should be coming out on May 20th.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So does Joseph Heller have any other rad books worth reading? Catch-22 is probably my favorite novel ever but I never hear anyone talking about any of his other works

RainOPain on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I finally got round to reading Shogun by James Clavell, I'm only about 100 or so pages in, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

ascot on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh man it is fantastic.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Is anyone here familiar with William Burroughs? I'm watching Naked Lunch right now and I feel a need to punish myself.

Penguin Incarnate on