As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid Traditions

2

Posts

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's cause it's always your fuckin' fault, theran.

    Something I forgot to mention earlier is our midfight /readychecks. This tradition stems from our last night of Kael attempts; our wonderful raid leader hit the wrong macro during the transition into phase 4 and fired off a CTraid readycheck, which apparently tossed our MTs salad so horribly that he missed the soak on a pyroblast. This was when we were just perfecting the phase 4 transition, and that particular one was going quite well, and sum mans wuz not happy.

    So now, when a new boss gets down to 2-3 percent and we basically know that it's over, someone who happens to have assist will toss out a /readycheck.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When we were frustrated with trying to down a difficult boss, we'd play what we'd call Mage Fishing. Each Mage would pick an add from the boss, and whoever got aggro first would have his repair bill paid for.

    Also, this is more bad luck than a tradition, but we'd always lose a healer before taking on a final boss, and we'd tell all sorts of jokes over Vent while waiting on a new healer.

    YaYa on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    When one of the officers in Levi started describing the next boss, I would go make myself dinner and eat it. When I came back, he was usually halfway done.

    I always played the same three songs before Razorgore attempts. The first was Robot Rock, the second was...I forget, to be honest. I just always knew shit had hit the fan when the third song started playing.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Team Awesome Kara Raid Traditions:
    1.) All of our officers have macros for the Team Awesome "Blessing of Man-Ass"
    2.) Our Ret pally will wait for 5 sunders, then pull some ridiculous Avenging Wrath "white, SoC, CS" crit bullshit doing around 6-7k and dying 8 seconds into the pull. (turns out this also applies in Gruul's Liar.)
    3.) If the Ret paladin isn't at the event any given night, all blame for everything that goes wrong rests on his shoulders.

    My old Pre-BC MC raiding guild:
    1.) The popular Garr game.
    2.) Rogue campfire while the rest of the guild attempted Shazz.
    3.) Baron Geddon's Extreme Red Rover (two groups on either side of him, fun with the Living Bomb.)
    4.) Half of our hunters (okay, that was a lie, ALL of us hunters) going AFK during Golemagg and making sandwiches.
    5.) Placing guild bets on Eye vs Leaf.
    6.) Onyxia's Liar: If loot can't be decided and you don't take a portal within 30 seconds on downing Ony, our Rogue leader IS popping all those eggs and you WILL die.

    Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    In ZG we always played "Kill the MC'd guy!"

    This turned out to be hilarious since the same people would almost always get MC'd, and I'd always be trying my damndest to kill them. One time I was MC'd by the hoodoo pile, and one of the warlocks saw this as revenge. Then I got a 6k crit to her face.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My old guild would duck and start spinning for good luck before tough fights. It got us our first Uqua win so we stuck with it.

    HalberdBlue on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hahaha, appended rolling for blame is awesome, I'm stealing that for Overnight Karazhan

    /roll 11
    1: It's my fault
    2-10: <raid member>'s fault
    11: GOD DAMNIT STICKS

    (edit: maybe I should make it /roll 20 and extend the "fuck you, sticks" range accordingly)

    Ledneh on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Every new boss kill, SOMEONE yells when we get to 1-5% "Vael is at 2%, we've got this!", commemorating one of our...lesser...moments in BWL.


    Hahah, the horror.

    2percent.jpg

    riz on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    riz wrote: »
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Every new boss kill, SOMEONE yells when we get to 1-5% "Vael is at 2%, we've got this!", commemorating one of our...lesser...moments in BWL.


    Hahah, the horror.

    2percent.jpg

    Haha, this is so true. The moment somebody anounced anything about Vael being 2% or even 1%, it instantly meant we were going to wipe because everyone would get fucking retarded, not realizing that he starts at what, 20%?

    It got so consistently bad that we banned anyone from saying a god damn word until he was dead.

    Also, after wiping on Vael, someone always at least once re-aggro's him when running back into the room. Almost always a NE Hunter as well.

    Wavechaser on
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My guild also has a superstition about seeding raids. It's gotten to the point that it not only matters WHO ZONES IN FIRST but also WHO SENDS OUT THE RAID INVITES... lol.

    Personally, I'm beginning to think that just my being in Karazhan means that Prince will NOT drop Light's Justice... I've been raiding Karazhan almost EVERY SINGLE WEEK since it opened and have only seen it drop twice, and that was way back when I was shadow specced. I still need that stupid mace as an upgrade. And guess what... it dropped last night for my guild and went to a feral druid because I wasn't in the raid... sigh.

    padmeamanda on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Every new boss kill, SOMEONE yells when we get to 1-5% "Vael is at 2%, we've got this!", commemorating one of our...lesser...moments in BWL.


    Hahah, the horror.

    2percent.jpg

    Haha, this is so true. The moment somebody anounced anything about Vael being 2% or even 1%, it instantly meant we were going to wipe because everyone would get fucking retarded, not realizing that he starts at what, 20%?

    It got so consistently bad that we banned anyone from saying a god damn word until he was dead.

    Also, after wiping on Vael, someone always at least once re-aggro's him when running back into the room. Almost always a NE Hunter as well.

    Tauren hunter in our case. :roll: "Oops, I hit my Arcane Shot hotkey while trying to type in raid chat...."

    riz on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Tauren hunter in our case. :roll: "Oops, I hit my Arcane Shot hotkey while trying to type in raid chat...."

    Oh, I think I can beat that with the warlock with drain life on his push to talk button.

    "So on Maiden who do HOLY SHIT"

    Echo on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My guild also has a superstition about seeding raids. It's gotten to the point that it not only matters WHO ZONES IN FIRST but also WHO SENDS OUT THE RAID INVITES... lol.

    Personally, I'm beginning to think that just my being in Karazhan means that Prince will NOT drop Light's Justice... I've been raiding Karazhan almost EVERY SINGLE WEEK since it opened and have only seen it drop twice, and that was way back when I was shadow specced. I still need that stupid mace as an upgrade. And guess what... it dropped last night for my guild and went to a feral druid because I wasn't in the raid... sigh.

    Forgive me, but I need to kill everyone in your guild. Maybe then the stupidity that Blizzard would use characters as seeds for the RNG would end.

    Thomamelas on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The non existent stupidity? It's never been remotely proven in any way that seeding is true right?

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    The non existent stupidity? It's never been remotely proven in any way that seeding is true right?

    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=299014664&postId=2986200340&sid=1

    Post 29.

    http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/1806053.htm

    From the old forums going into detail about the RNG used.

    From a programing perspective it doesn't make much if any sense to use players as a seed for the RNG. There just aren't enough variables and most off the self algorithms have a method for creating the seed. So it would require extra work to get poorer results. But people need a reason to blame for their poor understanding of what the word random means.

    Thomamelas on
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The raid only officially starts at the first mage death. Healers take a drink every time the mage dies. Lots of mage deaths appease the loot gods and assure good drops.

    Yeah, most of these can be traced back to one guy.

    Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    My guild also has a superstition about seeding raids. It's gotten to the point that it not only matters WHO ZONES IN FIRST but also WHO SENDS OUT THE RAID INVITES... lol.

    Personally, I'm beginning to think that just my being in Karazhan means that Prince will NOT drop Light's Justice... I've been raiding Karazhan almost EVERY SINGLE WEEK since it opened and have only seen it drop twice, and that was way back when I was shadow specced. I still need that stupid mace as an upgrade. And guess what... it dropped last night for my guild and went to a feral druid because I wasn't in the raid... sigh.

    Forgive me, but I need to kill everyone in your guild. Maybe then the stupidity that Blizzard would use characters as seeds for the RNG would end.

    I think you took me a little too literally there, bud. :) It's a superstition, but that's all it is... mostly, picking someone to seed the instance or do the invites is a fun way to be able to either blame someone for bad loot or cheer them for good drops. Nobody actually BELIEVES you can determine specific loot that way, lawl.

    padmeamanda on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    The non existent stupidity? It's never been remotely proven in any way that seeding is true right?

    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=299014664&postId=2986200340&sid=1

    Post 29.

    http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/1806053.htm

    From the old forums going into detail about the RNG used.

    From a programing perspective it doesn't make much if any sense to use players as a seed for the RNG. There just aren't enough variables and most off the self algorithms have a method for creating the seed. So it would require extra work to get poorer results. But people need a reason to blame for their poor understanding of what the word random means.

    Ah, apparently I misread your post. I thought you were saying it was stupid, that Blizzard uses characters to see, not that it's stupid to think that.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    The non existent stupidity? It's never been remotely proven in any way that seeding is true right?

    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=299014664&postId=2986200340&sid=1

    Post 29.

    http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/1806053.htm

    From the old forums going into detail about the RNG used.

    From a programing perspective it doesn't make much if any sense to use players as a seed for the RNG. There just aren't enough variables and most off the self algorithms have a method for creating the seed. So it would require extra work to get poorer results. But people need a reason to blame for their poor understanding of what the word random means.

    Ah, apparently I misread your post. I thought you were saying it was stupid, that Blizzard uses characters to see, not that it's stupid to think that.

    Ah, no biggie.

    Thomamelas on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Euphasie wrote: »
    The raid only officially starts at the first mage death. Healers take a drink every time the mage dies. Lots of mage deaths appease the loot gods and assure good drops.

    Yeah, most of these can be traced back to one guy.

    I was that guy in Zul'Gurub. :P

    Echo on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Every new boss kill, SOMEONE yells when we get to 1-5% "Vael is at 2%, we've got this!", commemorating one of our...lesser...moments in BWL.


    Hahah, the horror.

    2percent.jpg

    Haha, this is so true. The moment somebody anounced anything about Vael being 2% or even 1%, it instantly meant we were going to wipe because everyone would get fucking retarded, not realizing that he starts at what, 20%?

    It got so consistently bad that we banned anyone from saying a god damn word until he was dead.

    Also, after wiping on Vael, someone always at least once re-aggro's him when running back into the room. Almost always a NE Hunter as well.

    Tauren hunter in our case. :roll: "Oops, I hit my Arcane Shot hotkey while trying to type in raid chat...."

    Not traditions, more funny and dumb things to happen on Vael. Once our raid leader was getting everyone into position by running around and getting people to stand on him. Until he went to cross from one side of the room to the other, forgetting about the giant dragon in the middle :lol:.

    Also the 1% wipe during which one of the few DPS up was draining soul (having the soul of each of the bosses we killed was kind of a thing for him, I think) instead of 'actually' DPSing. No guarantee that him casting Shadowbolt or whatever would have made the difference, but kinda dumb nonetheless.

    exis on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When my coop did a particularly bad wipe in MC or BWL our wacky priest would play Yackety Sax over vent

    Casual Eddy on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In my previous guild we'd pipe yakkity sax on any kite fight, particularly razorgore. It makes it hilarious.

    SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My priest's ZG tradition was to remain drunk, on the basis that a blurry screen means you can focus on health bars just fine.

    Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hayasa wrote: »
    My priest's ZG tradition was to remain drunk, on the basis that a blurry screen means you can focus on health bars just fine.

    It's better than forced drunkeness--fucking spiders.

    I know you can turn off the video option but that always felt like cheating. I died enough on that part to clear it often anyways.

    At one point I got really good at timing Combustion so that I'd have a +40-50% crit flamestrike. That was fun.

    captaink on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, that's right

    Back in MC I assembled 7/8 felheart, staff of dominance, my gear was pretty rad. Guess what I was missing? Felheart slippers. Those things haunted my nightmares. Shazzrah dropped them, and if I was in raid they would not drop. They dropped reasonably frequently, too. One hilarious moment was when I logged in right before they pulled shazzrah, and everyone paused, knowing how much I wanted those boots. I was hearthing to kargath when the RL assumed I was bound elsewhere and pulled.

    annnnnd the boots dropped. And were sharded. It got to the point where I was taunted (good naturedly) about my boots for just about everything. We killed Hakkar, ragnaros, and wiped to chromagg a few times, but I never got an upgrade for my BD strat boots. If I mention boots today the people from the coop I still play with will cringe, afraid I will whine again.

    Now that piece seems to be my helmet. I of course made myself shadow weave boots which are kickass, but I'm wearing my netherspite hat in BT. It's not nearly as bad as the boots though, considering my attendance and so on, but I'll probably end up replacing it with a green rather than a purple.

    Casual Eddy on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh. I was the only feral druid in our 40-mans, and I got the bracers off Twin Emps before I ever saw the feral bracers in MC. They dropped a couple times, always when I wasn't there. I had like 95% attendance too.

    Similarly we had the ZG "tradition" of summoning the hydra boss for poor Durne and then handing out Nat Pagle's Broken Reel, because the feral druid staff apparently did not exist.

    riz on
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On the MC trash before mother if you manage to kill a tank you get 10g.

    Why? Because the cocky fuckers think 24k health will stop a bunch of t6 llocks and mages from blowing them up. It's damn fun though.

    poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On our first foray into MC, we were using a straight /roll system, since we were doing this with two other guilds and didn't want to figure out any loot system on the spot. The first/second boss we killed dropped Nightslayer (or something good for rogues, I don't really remember). One of the officers in our guild was a rogue, and had been so excited about getting into MC, worked his ass off to do the best DPS. Had put a tonne of effort into getting all of his pre-MC gear and buffs. Anyway, this was the first rogue thing to drop, and he desperately wanted it. As did pretty much everyone else in guild.

    Thurston rolls 3 (1-100).
    "Noooooooooooooo"

    It's never been forgotten. In our guild 3 is now the equivalent of an epic fumble. Anytime anyone rolls a three they get a whole lot of shit about it over vent about how they couldn't fail any harder, they're never allowed to roll again, etc. It makes me laugh that people still make such a big deal out of it years later.

    exis on
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    well on that one boss in karazhan it was my job to yell repentence because i'm cool like that.

    Also way back in the MC days, we had the newbies to the raid who wanted invites swim across the lava and back without dying. if you could itme your jumps, you would only get burnt maybe once or twice tops. it was great fun not healing them as they died too. 8-)

    Lastly a rogue in our 25 man raid had this voice-altering program that made his voice deep as hell, so he'd always put that on and sing some wu-tang clan lyrics.

    eric. on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why the fuck won't this topic show up as read? Posting here to try and fix it.

    Hey it worked. Yay.

    Wavechaser on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    exis wrote: »
    On our first foray into MC, we were using a straight /roll system, since we were doing this with two other guilds and didn't want to figure out any loot system on the spot. The first/second boss we killed dropped Nightslayer (or something good for rogues, I don't really remember). One of the officers in our guild was a rogue, and had been so excited about getting into MC, worked his ass off to do the best DPS. Had put a tonne of effort into getting all of his pre-MC gear and buffs. Anyway, this was the first rogue thing to drop, and he desperately wanted it. As did pretty much everyone else in guild.

    Thurston rolls 3 (1-100).
    "Noooooooooooooo"

    It's never been forgotten. In our guild 3 is now the equivalent of an epic fumble. Anytime anyone rolls a three they get a whole lot of shit about it over vent about how they couldn't fail any harder, they're never allowed to roll again, etc. It makes me laugh that people still make such a big deal out of it years later.

    Heheheh. Sometimes these things fall by the wayside but rolling a 3 never goes away. It REALLY makes me laugh when people who've been in the guild for two months participate in things like this just because those of us who have been around for years reference it so often.

    One that hasn't come up so much lately is the old "This isn't Dire Maul!" which a cranky raid leader said in one of our early multi-guild ventures into MC. There's actually some debate on the context. I think he was just telling people to stop fucking around, but those of us in DTB/Oathsworn interpreted it as a comment about how you can't just skip trash in MC like you can in Dire Maul. "Dire Mauling" of course becoming a verb that means "skipping a bunch of trash by sneaking past it."

    A similar term that the recruits don't often get, "BWL formation!" which means "everyone stand on top of one single spot." I don't even remember why. Something to do with suppression rooms I guess.

    riz on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    riz wrote: »
    A similar term that the recruits don't often get, "BWL formation!" which means "everyone stand on top of one single spot." I don't even remember why. Something to do with suppression rooms I guess.

    I think it was called "BWL formation" because it was supposedly something we would 'need' all throughout BWL. I hope you still have that screenshot somewhere of us practising before Razorgore :lol:

    exis on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    dirk.jpg

    riz on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We had a guild member, actually several, that completely mastered skipping dire maul trash. Back in the day there were a few really good things to farm there.

    captaink on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Our older members will occasionally ask others if their bread machines are okay. It dates back to when we were learning Patchwerk and one of our OT's didn't respond to a ready check. And didn't respond. And didn't respond for ten mins or so. After we're all ready to fall asleep he comes back and informs us his bread machine caught fire. Vent was stunned for a min, and then you could hear gales of laughter.

    Later on the same attempt I had to explain why we were laughing at him when he said okay to the MT. Why we would find the change in his voice so amusing.
    He took an epic bong hit.

    Thomamelas on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Our older members will occasionally ask others if their bread machines are okay. It dates back to when we were learning Patchwerk and one of our OT's didn't respond to a ready check. And didn't respond. And didn't respond for ten mins or so. After we're all ready to fall asleep he comes back and informs us his bread machine caught fire. Vent was stunned for a min, and then you could hear gales of laughter.

    Later on the same attempt I had to explain why we were laughing at him when he said okay to the MT. Why we would find the change in his voice so amusing.
    He took an epic bong hit.

    :lol:

    I got a good laugh out of that.

    Wavechaser on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    my.php?image=gagcirclesd2.jpg

    We can not form a circle. If a strat calls for making a circle....we rewrite it cause we're fucked.

    pavethemoonex0.jpg

    Thomamelas on
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Back in ZG, as a priest, you could mind control the priest type mobs leading up to raptor boss. They had this killer life drain that you could put on a friendly player and basically kill them in 5 seconds. On all the trash leading up to these guys we'd talk about who we were going to kill in the raid in our priest channel. Its quite funny to see all the priests in the raid not healing and trying to MC the same mob and then scattering once someone gets control. You never did know who they were going to kill, could be you!

    PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    Do you have any traditions or good luck charms in raids or groups?

    Back when I played WoW and we did UBRS, I always had to be the one punted by the Beast. If I wasn't punted by him, we'd either get massive amounts of death or we'd wipe.

    If I was punted by him and died from it, I would almost always be the only death in that fight.

    its tradition if we kill Shade of Aran in Kara on a flamewrath phase, someone has to blow burst run and run in circles after the boss's corpse hits the floor

    btw, i did that as a guest in friend's guild once and havent been invited back since :*(

    Gnomeland Security on
Sign In or Register to comment.