As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help! They might promote me!

GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
...maybe "Help!" isn't appropriate but today I got a bit of a surprise

My boss called me into his office just before quitting time today. "Shut the door", he says. *gulp*

Surprise! He tells me he just wants to give me a heads up, his two bosses have both been asked who should be promoted to a position at one of our other sites, and they both said me. Says I have a pretty good chance of an offer within the next couple of months.

Here's the thing - I'm pleased to have some recognition higher up. I'm feeling ready for a promotion. This news gave me a bit of a shock though and I'm feeling somewhat nervous.

I've been in my current position for three years. Entry level technical (Chemistry, applications), first job after university.

The new position (and details haven't been solidified):

For at least a year or two I would still report to my current boss. My title would probably be a new one - I'd move up from "Tech Service Representative" to "Tech Service Coordinator" or something like that. Basically I'm not quite qualified yet to be a proper "Tech Service Manager". My boss said this and I agree - my skills are improving rapidly but I need a few more years experience to be on par with our existing Tech Service Managers. But they need someone in that capacity at this particular site and need to place someone there, probably within a year.

I would get a salary bump. I'm not sure how much.

My responsibilities would expand - I'd have all the responsibilities I have in my current job, but would also be heavily involved in manufacturing and synthesis.

I would probably get decent moving assistance/compensation.

What am I worried about?

1) The move. I moved when I took this job, new city, didn't know anyone local, etc. Wasn't easy but I survived. If I take this position I get to do the same thing over again - move from Chicago (suburbs) to Atlanta (job is in south suburbs). I've never even set foot in Georgia and I don't know anyone there (outside work contacts) within probably 1000 miles. I'm not a very outgoing guy and it does take me time to meet people, so this could be difficult. Also I've lived my whole life in the Midwest and am a bit leery about going south. My family is all in the Midwest but I don't have a girlfriend or anything like that to keep me from moving.

2) The site. Frankly, I'd be moving from a site that's been doing well the past few years to one that's not doing very well. A large factor in why this particular site hasn't been doing well is that they've lost their two main technical people. So I'd be jumping into a situation where some big improvements need to be made. The necessary improvements certainly wouldn't all be on my shoulders, but this place needs some work.

3) The new responsibilities. I've gotten pretty good at my current position. The new responsibilities - manufacturing and synthesis - are areas where I have a bit of experience but certainly have a hell of a lot to learn.

4) The negotiations - my current boss flat out told me I should be ready to negotiate - i.e., argue salary, other compensation, position title, etc. When I was offered my current job I was pretty much in no position to negotiate anything. They made a decent offer and I said "Yes, please". But now he's telling me I have a bit of leverage. I have never negotiated anything like this before.

Any advice? I told my boss I was pleased to be considered. We agreed that I would think about it over the weekend and talk again next week. It's certainly not a situation where anyone would tell me "take this job or find a new one" but it does seem like my quickest short term move for advancement.

I'm wondering what sort of questions I should ask. My boss says it might be excellent for my career growth but that he'd hate to lose me at our current site. Like I said, I'm feeling ready for a promotion but I was sort of hoping it wouldn't involve a move.

I have a lot of thinking to do, any input would be welcome!

GameHat on

• Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Let them know in the negotiations that you don't really want to move, but you will for enough money.

Make them make it worth your while, since your boss has basically told you you can get a substantial raise if you have the backbone to demand it. If the raise isn't enough to justify moving, stay in your current job for now, but look for a promotion of your own - find a better job at a different company in your area.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some quick thoughts:

1) I've heard Atlanta is actually a pretty fun place to live, there's a lot to do and home values aren't nearly as high as other huge metro areas.

2) Consider it a chance to really prove yourself to the higher ups. If you move out there and the place turns around, you'll be getting plenty of recognition and putting yourself in a great position.

3) I'm always the most excited at my job when I'm doing something I'm not familiar with - that's when the most learning happens, and when you improve the fastest. The same will happen with you, I'm sure.

4) Just remember that you are an asset to the company, and should present yourself as such.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Let them know in the negotiations that you don't really want to move, but you will for enough money.

Make them make it worth your while, since your boss has basically told you you can get a substantial raise if you have the backbone to demand it. If the raise isn't enough to justify moving, stay in your current job for now, but look for a promotion of your own - find a better job at a different company in your area.
    This. It doesn't matter whether or not you actually want to move; you tell them you don't really want to move, but would for enough money. You could be offered a relocation from Baghdad to Shangri-La, and you'd still want to say "hmmmm, I dunno about moving, I really like it here; how much is the raise?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thinatos wrote: »

This. It doesn't matter whether or not you actually want to move; you tell them you don't really want to move, but would for enough money. You could be offered a relocation from Baghdad to Shangri-La, and you'd still want to say "hmmmm, I dunno about moving, I really like it here; how much is the raise?"

Yeah... and of course since you're in Chicago you don't want to move :)

bleh... my job just recently made me move from Chicago to Ann Arbor and it's sucking pretty much. Though I have a friend in Atlanta and have heard good things. In any case, unless you really, really don't want to move this sounds like a good opportunity, but as suggested make them make it worth your while.

Daenris on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The cost of living is probably lower in suburban Atlanta than suburban Chicago, as well. Now, don't let them know you are thinking this, but include it in your own final decision on the offer.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actively seek out this promotion. Promotions don't just grow on trees, if you are lucky to get the chance, go after it. Even if you don't like it, if you apply for a new position, it looks good. Being upwardly mobile in a company is good, and other employers will recognize that.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GameHat wrote: »
    1) The move. I moved when I took this job, new city, didn't know anyone local, etc. Wasn't easy but I survived. If I take this position I get to do the same thing over again - move from Chicago (suburbs) to Atlanta (job is in south suburbs). I've never even set foot in Georgia and I don't know anyone there (outside work contacts) within probably 1000 miles. I'm not a very outgoing guy and it does take me time to meet people, so this could be difficult. Also I've lived my whole life in the Midwest and am a bit leery about going south. My family is all in the Midwest but I don't have a girlfriend or anything like that to keep me from moving.

2) The site. Frankly, I'd be moving from a site that's been doing well the past few years to one that's not doing very well. A large factor in why this particular site hasn't been doing well is that they've lost their two main technical people. So I'd be jumping into a situation where some big improvements need to be made. The necessary improvements certainly wouldn't all be on my shoulders, but this place needs some work.

3) The new responsibilities. I've gotten pretty good at my current position. The new responsibilities - manufacturing and synthesis - are areas where I have a bit of experience but certainly have a hell of a lot to learn.

4) The negotiations - my current boss flat out told me I should be ready to negotiate - i.e., argue salary, other compensation, position title, etc. When I was offered my current job I was pretty much in no position to negotiate anything. They made a decent offer and I said "Yes, please". But now he's telling me I have a bit of leverage. I have never negotiated anything like this before.

1) You're young and single. This is the last time of your life where this sort of positive-business change isn't offset by horrible personal changes. The move is a great opportunity and Atlanta is one of the biggest cities in our country.

2) You're being sent there because they think you can lead the site out of positive changes. You do it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more promotions follow soon after.

3) So?

4) I have no experience here, and thus no comment.

Hope this helps.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    2) You're being sent there because they think you can lead the site out of positive changes. You do it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more promotions follow soon after.

And thus, more prestige and more money. Basically more feeling of "Damn, I am good at what I do."

I say go for it.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I went to college in Atlanta and a piece of advice I have this:

If you do move, and the job is on the south side, live on the south side or at least in the middle of the city. (Note: you probably don't want to live inside the perimeter (I-285) south of I-20.)

Why? You don't want to have to commute with the flow. You really don't. Traffic is terrible in Atlanta, and not a break in any way, shape, or form from Chicago, even though it is smaller. Also, unlike Chicago, mass transit isn't as viable. There is not commuter rail to/from the city and unless your office and home are located near MARTA stations (there aren't that many) it's pretty much useless for the daily commute.

As for Atlanta proper, I liked it a lot. Wish I coulda stayed there, but my job is here, so...

ASimPerson on