As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is now the time to buy a PC?

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
To clarify, not at this exact moment, because that's a definite no with a new series of Intel Core 2 Duos coming out at a good price. However, I am talking about February-March. With the games I really want coming out late in the year (WAR, SC2, Fallout 3), is it worth waiting until we at least have a confirmed release date? As everyone knows, a $1,000 PC now is going to be weaker than a $1,000 PC later, with technology prices dropping constantly. In the span of, say, 4 months, how much is going to change? Is it worth waiting that long if I want a PC now, or am I going to spend roughly the same amount for the same computer? I don't follow what parts are coming out very closely, so I have no idea what things are going to look like in the future. So, would it be alright to buy one now or wait?

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd get one sooner rather than later. If you get a good intel cpu, 8800gt, 2 gigs of ram and a widescreen monitor your setup will be absolutely ballin for the next 1-2 years.

The next nvidia cards arent going to come out for a while either.

tracertong on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At first I was leaning towards "sooner" because I'm rather impatient and I've wanted a new PC for about a year, and I have been saving money for one. At the same time, even if I buy the same parts in 3 months, I'm going to save quite a bit. I'm not going to take full advantage of a new computer until games like Age of Conan and Starcraft 2 come out, and the games that I want to play that are already out (S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Titan Quest) will still be there and possibly run even better, depending on what I buy.

The issue is that the computer I have right now cannot reliably run any PC game that has come out in the last 3 years, except WoW. It's a pre-built machine, sadly, so I'm pretty limited in what I can do with it, and it's probably cheaper just to start over (DELL doesn't even make the Dimension 4400 anymore). The question I'm asking, really, is this: in three to four months, how much are prices going to drop for current tech, and what new tech is coming out?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The question I'm asking, really, is this: in three to four months, how much are prices going to drop for current tech, and what new tech is coming out?

Prices for motherboards will stay the same, cpus will drop some, video cards maybe a little but they are selling well. I doubt that you will save more than $100-150 overall by waiting. Of course, no one is able to give you a specific amount that you will save unless you know someone high up in the company so this is just speculation.

Intel is going to eventually release new chips (as they always are) which will be very expensive when they come out. Wolfdale for dual core and Yorkfield for quad core.

Who knows how much improvement you will see as there are no benchmarks for them but I doubt that its going to be some revolutionary leap from whats currently out now. When you go from your ancient Dell to a core 2 duo of today (conroe) or tomorrow (wolf, york) the difference will be enormous. The new ones are guaranteed to be expensive and will at first be bought mainly for professional use in video editing/3d graphic design. You wont be able to afford it. I wont be able to afford it and wouldnt need it anyway since the 2.4 Core 2 Duo that I have now rocks the fat ass in everything i do.

Nvidia may or may not release a redesigned version of the 8800 GTS (not GT). The 8800s that are out now will max out everything except crysis and supreme commander which honestly aren't even that fun compared to other games in their genres. Blizzard is going to optimize the hell out of starcraft 2 because they like making money so i wouldn't worry about not being able to run it well if you build a pc at this time. STALKER runs completely smooth, no hiccups at all. Just make sure to get 2 gigs of ram and install all the patches as they optimized it a lot since the initial release.

Dont know much about the ATI Radeon cards but supposedly they aren't holding up to the 8800 line. Thus Nvidia isn't as pressured to release new stuff as they have been in the past combined with the fact that games in general aren't made to demand more than whats possible on 360 and PS3 hardware because they want to release the product on as many platforms as possible to maximize the amount of potential buyers. So if a 9800 comes out in the next 3-4 months or so it would probably be a waste of money to buy it if you buy things based on price/performance.

Maybe I'm wrong but don't hold your breath for the new shit.

tracertong on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I'm with tracertong on this, all in all it's probably not worth waiting a few months and you can build an awesome system for a good price now.

Oh, and get 4GB of ram, not 2GB.

For roughly $950USD I bought..

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    2 sets of Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 800MHZ
    BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
    Gigabyte P35-DS3P
    Corsair HX-620
    CoolerMaster RC 690
    Western Digital 500GB 16MB Cache SATAII

I think I'm yet to come across a game, outside of Crysis, which won't run perfectly at 1440x900 with the highest settings and even Crysis runs well at High on that resolution. The last game I acquired and tested was Gears of War which apparently was a bad port or just the UE3 sucks and I put everything on the highest possible and it runs perfectly.

And I'm pretty sure you Americans have much better prices on your hardware so it probably wouldn't even cost $950USD which was a guess conversion from AUD any way.

One thing though, quad core CPUs have arrived and are surprisingly affordable, I was so close to buying the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 but it was $100 more and in benchmarks, etc it didn't really seem to be worth it as my E6750 held it's own against it and few things take advantage of dual core let alone quad core and my motherboard supports quad core CPUs so I could upgrade in 6 months or so if I needed.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As you said wait just a touch, the E8400's are showing up at online retailers. Once more Penryns are out, they and the previous Core2Duos will be cheaper.

Misanthropic on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rumor has it that the next gen of Nvidia cards will be coming out in February or March. I have been saving for a wile myself and I am going to wait until I can get a 9xxx card. I fully intend on playing Farcry 2 on full everything.

That_Guy on
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    tracertong wrote: »
    Dont know much about the ATI Radeon cards but supposedly they aren't holding up to the 8800 line.

You'd be right. However, in the UK a HD3850 512mb is £65-70 cheaper than a 8800gt 512mb and is a damn fine mid-range card. But as the OP is going to be spending a decent amount this shouldn't be an issue.

I can run CoD4 max at 1280x1024 with no fps hiccups on my HD3850.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So the E8400s are the new processors? Is it worth grabbing one of those, or spending a little more for a quad core? I want as much out of this PC as I can get around the $1,000 area without OC'ing any of the parts, and I want it to last as long as it can. As we all know, eventually you just have to get on the bus, so is now the time?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Sam KromeSam Krome Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    I good idea to try as well is to wait till new gen stuff is available then compare performance and price to the high end of the last gen cause more often than not the last gens high end out performs the majority of the new gens mid to higher end. Personally i'd recommend getting the E8400 with 4GB of DDR2 800 good motherboard thats supports new and upcoming features and either get a 8800gt or wait till the 9 series come out and with that rig you will be set at least till early

P.S. Currently it has been established that the primary bottleneck for most games is the graphics card so if you get a good cpu and motherboard pair it with 2 - 4GB of DDR2 800 then go all out on the graphics card you'll be looking at a system that ill be able to handle most up coming games sufficiently well.

Sam Krome on
  • ZyreZyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My vote is to wait just a little longer, a few more months. Spring time. I've been researching heavily. I'm waiting for the new Intel Penryn chips to come out in hopes the Conroes come down in price a bit. I get a lot of my info from www.tomshardware.com as they have very good write ups and reviews of all kinds of computer components. Recently they posted their "2008 Bench Test System" specs, and I looked up all these parts on www.newegg.com to get a price estimate, and it's a pretty powerful system for the price. I downgraded a few parts but kept the same brandnames, as Tom's design for this system was to be able to overlock everything, which I don't intend to do.

1. Case. COOLER MASTER Stacker 810 RC-810-KKA1-GP Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case RS-850-EMBA 850W Power Supply - Retail. Model #: RC-810-KKA1-GP ($299.99)

Tom's Hardware highly recommended the PSU, and the PSU itself is $200, I found this combo case for just $100 more which is a bargain. Plus my case sucks and this one looks sweet as hell and has tons more room for me to work in. You could downgrade PSU/Case to save money as 850watt PSU isn't really required, but I want this thing to last for future hardware change outs.

2. Motherboard. ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail. Model #: P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP ($334.99)

This motherboard was chosen as it is compatiable with all the current Dual-Core chips and will be compatiable with all Penryn and Quad-Cores of the next couple generations. You will be able to upgrade processors with this board in the future. Another option would to be to look into getting the next higher model, the X48, but it's likely more expensive.

3. Processor. Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail. Model #: BX80557E6850 ($279.99)

Top end Conroe line processor model on the market right now, the one I'm waiting for a price drop on. You could easily scale this down to some of the lower models to save cash. Intel released a new lower end version of the series in the last couple of months that's dirt cheap ($99 I believe) with newer technology in its design that can outperform the E6850 3.0ghz if it is overclocked. But I don't want to overclock my stuff, so I went with the high end model, waiting on the price drop as the new Penryns come out in the next couple months.

4. CPU Cooler. ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail. Model #: CNPS 9700 NT ($59.99)

They chose Zalman cooling solution for this PC because its the highest performance they've received in their testing, consumes the least amount of power and runs the quietest and performs great. All around amazing cooler.

5. Memory. Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065 - Retail. Model #: BL2KIT12864AA1065 ($94.99)

Could easily double up on this for another $100 and get 4 gigs of ram, but currently anything more than 2 gigs isn't going to make anything run faster. No software utilizes that much memory yet, however things will change in the future. Tom's Hardware had GDDR3 1333mhz chips for this system for overclocking purposes, but GDDR3 being new technology, 2 gigs of those sticks were $500. Yeah, I scaled that back and went with the highest end GDDR2 model for $100. 1066mhz instead of 1333mhz isnt that big a deal for the price difference.

6. Video Card. GIGABYTE GV-RX385512H Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail. Model #: GV-RX385512H ($199.99)

This card was chosen because it comes with a Zalman cooler on graphics CPU, as well as it functioning comparitavely well to the GeForce 8800 sereis cards. They plan to bridge two of these babies together at some point, but 1 card was for the "basic" set up. Plus this card is $100 cheaper than the Nvidia one.

7. Hard Drive. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM. Model #: WD5000AAKS ($104.99)

This HD was chosen as it's the best bang for your buck in a single drive array. Raptor drives are a little faster, but they really arent worth the price in the end. Unless your transfering a lot of data constantly, running a server etc, you really don't need more than 7200rpm on a gaming rig. There's also the option of buying two drives and putting them together in a RAID array, but again, little need for this for gaming.

8. Media Drive. LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail. Model #: LH-20A1L-06 ($37.99)

This wasn't included in the Tom set up, but I needed a new drive and I am a fan of LITE-ON brand drives because they're cheap and they work well. Samsung has good drives as well.

For this entire system, the grand total is $1409.92 - I too am trying to build a system for about $1000 so I am waiting it out few more months in hopes of price drops, particularly the processor. If you don't need a new case or PSU, you can knock off $300 already. Dont need a new media drive? Knock that off. Now the price is really close to that $1000 mark you were looking at.

I considered a new 23" flatscreen samsung moniter to go with this, but it would add another $350 to the total cost. But my 10 year old 19" CRT is still kicking ass and pushing 1600x1200 res flawlessly, I resigned not to bother until my CRT dies.

A suggestion for purchasing if you don't wanna lop all the money down at once and start the building process while waiting for price drops like I am, start buying the parts in phases. Leave the ones you want the price drop for last. I havent started this yet, but am considering buying 1-2 parts off this list (trying to keep it to $200-300) every paycheck over the course of the next several months, hoping when I get to the end of the list the final parts will have dropped in price. Anyway, happy hunting. I hope this helps.

Zyre on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zyre wrote: »
    Long List!

Since you said you're trying to keep costs down to $1000, I'll show you some places you can save:

1. Case! $300?! I wouldn't call that a "bargain" on any planet You can do better. There is no need for an 850W PSU - 500W is plenty! I would go for this PSU, and then this Case, and you'll save $100!

2. Motherboard. Again, here's a place where you can save some serious scratch. This motherboard runs DDR3 - so your DDR2 isn't even going to fit in there! I would go with this one, this one, or this. (I'm not sure what the difference is between the last two, will have to see if there's ever an image but I would go with one of the last two.) There, saved you $150+

4. CPU cooler. Why do you want one of these? You're not overclocking, so the stock cooler will be fine. If you're looking to quiet things down, then go with this bad boy, because the Zalman is not going to be that quiet. But seriously, I think you're just wasting your $$ here.

6. Video Card. I would upgrade either to the 3870 or the 8800GT - check Tom's Hardware's list of Best Gaming Graphics for $X.

EDIT:
    3. Processor. Is there any reason not to go with theE8400? Bigger cache and the new 45nm process.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I doubt anyone wants to see 2 dozen specialized 'help me build a computer' threads, so I will see if I can sneak in here...

We are pretty broke, but my wife needs more ram for an aging system (move to the 2 gigs it used to have before some sticks failed). I REALLY don't want to spend a dime on either of our systems as they are stoneaged as far as tech goes.

I built them both, hers from memory is I think:
    AMD 3500+ (forget the name, just the 'compare us to intel' fako speed rating)
    ASUS board. I THINK this one was a PCI-E graphics slot but ancient DDR400 memory slots.
    I forget the graphics card, Nvidia 7 series though, budget end.

I would like to move this system forward just enough so it is upgradeable. Right now it is pretty much as far as it will go. I think the ancient processor and slow ram is the bottleneck. I am mainly looking for something to run EQ2/WoW on as she does most of her time in one of those. And something that has a chance with upcoming MMOs like Warhammer Online.

Seems like Intel has the undisputed lead on the processors these days? If so, could anyone suggest a reliable motherboard, and processor that could move us into the low end modern era? Would our best bet be DDR2 or DDR3? What form factor would be best on the chip? Core 2 Duo? What is the socket type called on that, or are there several?

Looking for a push in the right direction at least (I have built all my past computers, but am pretty out of the loop right now) and maybe some suggestions if anyone has any favorites.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Smudge on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The problem with waiting is that the bar is raised on performance. What seems awesome now, will definitely be cheaper, but not so awesome compared to the new stuff X months down the road. If you're really convinced that you are content with a specific setup that gives you the performance you want, then get it when you feel good about the price. Wait too long, and you may not be happy with that level of performance any more. Buy as much computer as you can afford and it will last you at least 3 years (unless you're one of those people who just always has to have the latest gear and money to burn).

El Guaco on
    edited January 2008
    Smudge wrote: »
    I doubt anyone wants to see 2 dozen specialized 'help me build a computer' threads, so I will see if I can sneak in here...

We are pretty broke, but my wife needs more ram for an aging system (move to the 2 gigs it used to have before some sticks failed). I REALLY don't want to spend a dime on either of our systems as they are stoneaged as far as tech goes.

I built them both, hers from memory is I think:
    AMD 3500+ (forget the name, just the 'compare us to intel' fako speed rating)
    ASUS board. I THINK this one was a PCI-E graphics slot but ancient DDR400 memory slots.
    I forget the graphics card, Nvidia 7 series though, budget end.

I would like to move this system forward just enough so it is upgradeable. Right now it is pretty much as far as it will go. I think the ancient processor and slow ram is the bottleneck. I am mainly looking for something to run EQ2/WoW on as she does most of her time in one of those. And something that has a chance with upcoming MMOs like Warhammer Online.

Seems like Intel has the undisputed lead on the processors these days? If so, could anyone suggest a reliable motherboard, and processor that could move us into the low end modern era? Would our best bet be DDR2 or DDR3? What form factor would be best on the chip? Core 2 Duo? What is the socket type called on that, or are there several?

Looking for a push in the right direction at least (I have built all my past computers, but am pretty out of the loop right now) and maybe some suggestions if anyone has any favorites.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Does the system handle WoW fine now? I would think that it does since WoW is pretty forgiving. You can check out the Ars Technica Budget Box for a good system for cheap - especially considering you won't need a new case, monitor, etc. Intel is definitely the processor performance king right now but at the budget end AMD can't be beat in terms of the price. This is going to get you a dual-core processor which is good.

One question - what is the current 7 series card you have in there?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Whether you decide to build now or wait, please, buy your memory NOW. Historically, RAM has followed a steady up-and-down price point, and it is very, VERY low right now. Example, the 2 gigs of RAM I paid $280 for when I built my PC last February is now $70. The PC I built before that was built during a cheap period for RAM too and it was nowhere near as cheap as it is now.

BUY YOUR RAM NOW. There's no telling when prices will skyrocket again, and there's nothing wrong with it sitting on your desk for a month. You won't regret it.

emericana on
    edited January 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Does the system handle WoW fine now? I would think that it does since WoW is pretty forgiving. You can check out the Ars Technica Budget Box for a good system for cheap - especially considering you won't need a new case, monitor, etc. Intel is definitely the processor performance king right now but at the budget end AMD can't be beat in terms of the price. This is going to get you a dual-core processor which is good.

One question - what is the current 7 series card you have in there?

Yeah, the system handles wow fine now, but that is not her main game. WoW is just her solo/late night game. Most of her day is EQ2 which chokes like a bitch on 1 gig of ram (which we have had since a stick failed).

The video card is a PCI-E Nvidia7600. If they made that in multiple flavors of ram, I don't know what it has on it. Too lazy to check. I don't want to replace the video card now if I can avoid it. That can be a birthday or xmas present.

Right now we need RAM desperately, and I don't want to buy more DDR1 ram when it will surely be just thrown away next time we upgrade.

I am trying to get some ram we can use in our next system now when it is cheap basically. Should I get a motherboard that uses DDR3? Or does DDR2 still have a lot of time left before it is technically irrelevant?

Smudge on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the system handles wow fine now, but that is not her main game. WoW is just her solo/late night game. Most of her day is EQ2 which chokes like a bitch on 1 gig of ram (which we have had since a stick failed).

The video card is a PCI-E Nvidia7600. If they made that in multiple flavors of ram, I don't know what it has on it. Too lazy to check. I don't want to replace the video card now if I can avoid it. That can be a birthday or xmas present.

Right now we need RAM desperately, and I don't want to buy more DDR1 ram when it will surely be just thrown away next time we upgrade.

I am trying to get some ram we can use in our next system now when it is cheap basically. Should I get a motherboard that uses DDR3? Or does DDR2 still have a lot of time left before it is technically irrelevant?

You could for the link I mentioned before - new CPU, 2GB RAM, motherboard for an AMD processor. You'll get a dual-core processor and a noticable speed increase for around $200 - and keep the current video card for now. Is it a regular 7600 or a 7600GT?

Your other option is to spend about twice as much to upgrade to a Core2Duo system and also wait on the video card. I would personally go for this as it will last you longer.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the arstechnica link was great. Very happy to see there is something along the lines I am looking for for $200.

The concern is the same as yours that I am locking myself into the budget AMD route instead of a potential future speed machine in the form of an Intel. If it would be $400 for a budget intel then I will probably pass though. We have a negative cashflow situation right now. If we get the money to build a few nice systems down the road I will probably just do that and relegate this one to the 'web surfer + video conferencer'.

Is DDR2 memory okay these days or is DDR3 a LOT better? Does AMD even offer DDR2 in their boards? I can't find any, but I am not looking a their new quad core stuff either.

To answer your question, I don't know if it is a GT or not. I just quick checked one of the Nvidia tools in the control panel, it had a 'hardware scan' option which returned "GeForce 7600 PCI-E 16x". I was just looking quick before I left to work to make sure that it wasn't an AGP8x card. Come september (her birthday) I'll probably grab a budget 8 series card, but I'll look more into specs before I do.

ATI is not an option, especially for her. We have had REALLY bad experiences with ATI and driver problems. I might take a risk on one, but my wife does not even want to look at one much less own one.

Smudge on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the arstechnica link was great. Very happy to see there is something along the lines I am looking for for $200.

The concern is the same as yours that I am locking myself into the budget AMD route instead of a potential future speed machine in the form of an Intel. If it would be $400 for a budget intel then I will probably pass though. We have a negative cashflow situation right now. If we get the money to build a few nice systems down the road I will probably just do that and relegate this one to the 'web surfer + video conferencer'.

Is DDR2 memory okay these days or is DDR3 a LOT better? Does AMD even offer DDR2 in their boards? I can't find any, but I am not looking a their new quad core stuff either.

To answer your question, I don't know if it is a GT or not. I just quick checked one of the Nvidia tools in the control panel, it had a 'hardware scan' option which returned "GeForce 7600 PCI-E 16x". I was just looking quick before I left to work to make sure that it wasn't an AGP8x card. Come september (her birthday) I'll probably grab a budget 8 series card, but I'll look more into specs before I do.

ATI is not an option, especially for her. We have had REALLY bad experiences with ATI and driver problems. I might take a risk on one, but my wife does not even want to look at one much less own one.

Actually $400 is for a pretty good Core2Duo System. My only concern with the AMD upgrade is that it's basically a dead end. If you want to go budget Intel get something like a Pentium E2160 and the Asus P5K-VM, which will run you a little more but will offer you a more clear upgrade route if you want to go with a faster processor eventually. It's a microATX board (so 2 PCI slots and 1 PCI-E) but it does have 4 DDR2 slots - good for when you want to throw another 2GB in there. I would not go for DDR3 as it is really expensive right now.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Rumor has it that the next gen of Nvidia cards will be coming out in February or March. I have been saving for a wile myself and I am going to wait until I can get a 9xxx card. I fully intend on playing Farcry 2 on full everything.

What exactly is known about the 9xxx cards? There were some pictures released a month or so ago of what looked like a pair of 8800 cards in an SLI configuration with a shared PCI interface, and a bunch of people started calling it the 9800, but I can't find anything official about the 9 series.

Veegeezee on
    edited January 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

What exactly is known about the 9xxx cards? There were some pictures released a month or so ago of what looked like a pair of 8800 cards in an SLI configuration with a shared PCI interface, and a bunch of people started calling it the 9800, but I can't find anything official about the 9 series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series

With any luck we should be able to get our hands on them around Valentines Day. God I hope I get my 4th Q bonus and Tax return by than.

That_Guy on
    edited January 2008
    Oh, ok. There's at least a couple new GPUs, and one card that uses the same GPU as the 8800.

Neato! Maybe the 8800's will drop into my price range soon. :P

Veegeezee on
    edited January 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    Oh, ok. There's at least a couple new GPUs, and one card that uses the same GPU as the 8800.

Neato! Maybe the 8800's will drop into my price range soon. :P

I want to get one of the 9800GTXOCBBQODB cards. I have been saving up for a couple of months now and have about $1500 before 4th Q bonus and Tax Return. With any luck I should have $2500 to blow on a new computer by than.

That_Guy on
    edited January 2008
    I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do, but I've always gotta lag behind the curve a generation or so. The cutting edge just isn't a solid enough return on investment.

In other words, go get one and then tell me about it so I can live vicariously through you.

Veegeezee on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As you said wait just a touch, the E8400's are showing up at online retailers. Once more Penryns are out, they and the previous Core2Duos will be cheaper.

Wow. Wow, thank you for mentioning this. I am building a new computer and you just saved me ~$100. I was going to put a 6850 in my new build but the 8400 is cheaper, cooler, and (fractionally, but who cares) faster!

Shurakai on
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shurakai wrote: »

Wow. Wow, thank you for mentioning this. I am building a new computer and you just saved me ~$100. I was going to put a 6850 in my new build but the 8400 is cheaper, cooler, and (fractionally, but who cares) faster!

Should also be better overclockers... though I'm not sure if anyone has had a chance to have a crack at them.

Edit: 4 GHz air cooled... imo.

Misanthropic on