Options

So Dead Rising is a pretty fun game...

124

Posts

  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As a Rhode Islander, I fully understand that our state is basically a metric for size, but I gotta admit that outside of Providence or maybe Newport, a zombie apocalypse would be kinda boring. I'm sure most of them would just accidentally drown in the Bay.

    What if the zombies aren't the kind that can drown?

    There's a kind of zombie that can drown?

    Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As a Rhode Islander as well ho ho, I say that's the brilliant part.

    You just simulate Providence, and whenever they try to leave the city, you have it pop up a message that says "Seriously, where are you going to go? Cranston? Shit, just go back to the zombies."

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pooch wrote: »
    onestly, I think they should have made level 1 equal to about 15 or 20, because the first few hours of the game are total shit when you're a lower level, but pretty fun when you're a bit levelled up (and fuck anybody who says you should HAVE to play through the game once or twice before you can actually start having fun).

    I didn't love the game like some people on here, but it kept me entertained during the summer when nothing else was out.

    See, I disagree. I was having loads of fun at level 1 because I felt very threatened by the zombies and psychopaths. At around 25, the zombies just become fodder for breaking your weapons and thats all. I'm thinking of making a new profile for a new clean save after I get all the achievements.

    TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bump

    slash000 on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    As a Rhode Islander, I fully understand that our state is basically a metric for size, but I gotta admit that outside of Providence or maybe Newport, a zombie apocalypse would be kinda boring. I'm sure most of them would just accidentally drown in the Bay.

    What if the zombies aren't the kind that can drown?

    There's a kind of zombie that can drown?

    Assuming zombies can't swim or operate boats, they're screwed when it comes to large bodies of water. They would either sink to the bottom or just flail around on the surface.

    BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bump for question:

    Yeah, I thought zombies were just reanimated corpses, and the only reason they need to feed is because only their basest of natural impulses are still functional, while their higher mental functions are not. Which is why a shot to the brain, or severance of the spine, results in their.. well, not death, but shutting them down for good.

    alternatively, the reanimated corpses may be risen by some dark ritual, the purpose of which is simply to cause havoc. These zombies don't need air or food or water either, but they attack because they were reanimated for that purpose.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    The one's who are having trouble with the idea that you don't do the story missions on your first play through seem to think it isn't "beating" the game. Well, it is. You get an ending, and its just like any other game. I've yet to play Mass Effect, but isn't it branching, can't you play a few times and get a different ending?

    That's the same thing here, just because you didn't do the story and figure out the real cause of the outbreak doesn't mean you didn't beat it, you still get an ending and credits, and it lasts the same length.

    The whole goal/point of the game going in at the beginning is to survive the 3 days. If you do that, regardless of who you save or what missions or story you uncover, you've beat the game.

    How many people buy GTA and just do the story constantly, without dicking around? Shit, I've owned every GTA game out and have yet to beat any of them. At least here you get an ending, it's about having fun. You want the story for Dead Rising? Because it isn't that great, it's a ridiculous premise, all it sets you up for is challenge. So make your own challenges.

    Agreed with the above.

    The thing with Dead Rising is that people who bitch and moan about not being able to beat the story mode in the first run are exactly like the people who bitch and moan about Fire Emblem being ridiculously hard because they insist on restarting every single time one of the party members die, or people who bitch and moan about not being able to get 100 percent of all items on their first run through a Final Fantasy game without a guide. The game isn't placing any of these bullshit limitations on you -- you're placing these limitations on yourself. If it's not your bag then that's fine, but it's not the game's fault you insist on restarting every single time you miss one of the case files.

    Now, the game's save system is another matter. I actually don't have a problem with the save-in-toilets, no-auto-checkpoint thing, because that's what most games nowadays do anyway. My problem is that the game desperately needed an auto-deleting quicksave, like what you see in handheld games -- something for when you just need to step away from the system for a while. Just save and quit to menu, then when you reload the quicksave it automatically deletes the quicksave so you can't just reset and reload it. I think that would have eliminated most people's complaints about the game. Instead, you have to kind of plan your save points around your case files and routes through the mall -- which I like, but I see why it pisses a lot of people off.

    I normally hate all sandbox-style games but I like Dead Rising for precisely the reasons a lot of people hate it -- it has restrictions, so it forces you to choose what you want to do within that short time frame. Do I want to try and figure out what happened at the mall, or do I want to save survivors to gain levels, or do I just want to stab zombies with shower heads? It has direction, and hitting the case files in order is pretty tough (I've failed a number of times), but it's not really frustrating because my game doesn't end if I miss the target. It only ends when I decide it ends, whether that's at the end of 72 hours or a lot sooner.

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh Lunker, you complete me.

    You and Odium are so right.

    It's the perfect way to approach a Zombie game. You have many choices, but which will you choose?

    Apart from the lack of a temp-quick-save, it's just how it should be.

    Lave II on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    So I'm in the last 12 hours or so, and I got all the case files. Once you get to about level 20, the game becomes a lot more fun. There's still some really dumb stuff, like unavoidable, unblockable attacks that knock you down so you can get attacked more etc... but once you have enough health to get through the occasional dumbness it's less of a problem. The convicts are still pricks but man the rewards for beating them are sweet like candy. If you've got the time to clear out a bunch of zombies, the AI doesn't hurt too badly, it's just when you're pushed for time. After I finish overtime I'll probably go through just doing scoops, because I honestly think those are the best part. The cult bit in particular was great, BUT again some horrid design by
    letting the cultists do their instant teleport you away attack any time they want, which is too hard to dodge. Beating the cult leader and then getting powdered by the cultists over and over and over and losing all my survivors sucks
    . Awesome concept, great game, but it needed a tester to go through it and underline all the things that aren't fun so they can be taken out.

    Tube on
  • Options
    gabrielzerogabrielzero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I leveled up really quick , so the gripes didn't bother me much. Though I'm one of those types that don't mind playing the game over and over to get stronger.

    gabrielzero on
    Roleplay Adventures <--- If you like to role-play , then this is the forum for you. ^_^
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    So I'm in the last 12 hours or so, and I got all the case files. Once you get to about level 20, the game becomes a lot more fun. There's still some really dumb stuff, like unavoidable, unblockable attacks that knock you down so you can get attacked more etc... but once you have enough health to get through the occasional dumbness it's less of a problem. The convicts are still pricks but man the rewards for beating them are sweet like candy. If you've got the time to clear out a bunch of zombies, the AI doesn't hurt too badly, it's just when you're pushed for time. After I finish overtime I'll probably go through just doing scoops, because I honestly think those are the best part. The cult bit in particular was great, BUT again some horrid design by
    letting the cultists do their instant teleport you away attack any time they want, which is too hard to dodge. Beating the cult leader and then getting powdered by the cultists over and over and over and losing all my survivors sucks
    . Awesome concept, great game, but it needed a tester to go through it and underline all the things that aren't fun so they can be taken out.

    The trick there is to just fight the cultists long-range as often as possible. A handgun can usually take out around a dozen of them, more if you're timely with pre-detonating their suicide charges.

    The worst part, I think, was having to wrangle the four survivors after taking out their leader. Nightmarish.

    Rust on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    So I'm in the last 12 hours or so, and I got all the case files. Once you get to about level 20, the game becomes a lot more fun. There's still some really dumb stuff, like unavoidable, unblockable attacks that knock you down so you can get attacked more etc... but once you have enough health to get through the occasional dumbness it's less of a problem. The convicts are still pricks but man the rewards for beating them are sweet like candy. If you've got the time to clear out a bunch of zombies, the AI doesn't hurt too badly, it's just when you're pushed for time. After I finish overtime I'll probably go through just doing scoops, because I honestly think those are the best part. The cult bit in particular was great, BUT again some horrid design by
    letting the cultists do their instant teleport you away attack any time they want, which is too hard to dodge. Beating the cult leader and then getting powdered by the cultists over and over and over and losing all my survivors sucks
    . Awesome concept, great game, but it needed a tester to go through it and underline all the things that aren't fun so they can be taken out.

    The trick there is to just fight the cultists long-range as often as possible. A handgun can usually take out around a dozen of them, more if you're timely with pre-detonating their suicide charges.

    The worst part, I think, was having to wrangle the four survivors after taking out their leader. Nightmarish.

    That wasn't so bad if you gave them all weapons and constantly cleared out the zombies.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    once you have the lift up move you can just hoof them over your head if they're being difficult. I also once (using the giant swing maybe? I got it but haven't checked the method) irish whipped an old lady into a group of zombies, sending them flying. That was cool.

    Tube on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ...were it not for the fact that it spends most of it's time dilligently trying to ruin your fun with the most assinine design decisions imaginable. Here's some fun features of this game!

    - Basically unplayable on standard definition TVs due to the unreadable on-screen text!
    - The world's stupidest save system!
    - Boss fights that pretty much require a ranged weapon that give you no indication that such a weapon is required!
    - Gameplay centred around the unbearable horror of escort missions, featuring AI ported from TIE Fighter!
    - The opportunity to restart the game over and over again!
    - A fantastic, well built mall with hundreds of shops and items that you don't have time to explore because if you do the game will break hurry hurry hurry

    And, my favourite one of all!

    - An enemy in a crucial area that all escorts in the early game must travel through, who is effectively unkillable until higher levels! Welcome to random chance! Ruh roh, the stupid truck saw you, time to reload to your last save forty minutes ago!

    The SD idiocy and the god awful, terrible terrible AI for the survivors are the only two complaints that really cheesed me off. Once I got into the groove of the game, the save system, the convicts, exploring the mall and the way the level system worked all sort of fell into place.

    But yeah, that AI was inexcusable. I think my favorite bits are either when a survivor gets caught on that fucking potted plant right outside the storage room with the elevator. (Seriously you dipshit! Walk a foot around it!) or when you have three or more survivors and they all get stuck trying to get up onto the ledge that the vent is located on... Holy shit.. They run in place against each other until the fucking heat death of the universe if you don't do something to dislodge them.

    Why does it seem like enemy AI is always invariably better than the AI of the guys on your side?

    Maybe it's just me...

    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    As a Rhode Islander, I fully understand that our state is basically a metric for size, but I gotta admit that outside of Providence or maybe Newport, a zombie apocalypse would be kinda boring. I'm sure most of them would just accidentally drown in the Bay.

    What if the zombies aren't the kind that can drown?

    There's a kind of zombie that can drown?

    Assuming zombies can't swim or operate boats, they're screwed when it comes to large bodies of water. They would either sink to the bottom or just flail around on the surface.

    Everyone knows Gs just walk along the bottom until they surface.

    PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    bump for question:

    Yeah, I thought zombies were just reanimated corpses, and the only reason they need to feed is because only their basest of natural impulses are still functional, while their higher mental functions are not. Which is why a shot to the brain, or severance of the spine, results in their.. well, not death, but shutting them down for good.


    I've always gone with that theory too but the problem is: Why aren't they fucking like mad then?

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    bump for question:

    Yeah, I thought zombies were just reanimated corpses, and the only reason they need to feed is because only their basest of natural impulses are still functional, while their higher mental functions are not. Which is why a shot to the brain, or severance of the spine, results in their.. well, not death, but shutting them down for good.


    I've always gone with that theory too but the problem is: Why aren't they fucking like mad then?

    Because no one wants to see zombies screwing. That's gross.

    Alternatively, it could be because bones and teeth don't break down as fast as flesh, so while their naughty bits are rotting off, their teeth are still plenty good for biting. At least for a while. Maybe.

    Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well a zombies heart ain't a thumpin'
    His blood ain't a pumpin'
    So 'is member down below,
    Can't go a humpin'

    Lave II on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There should at least be a bunch of dry-humping zombie piles.

    At least.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really enjoyed Dead Rising, granted I never got to finish it because at the game center where I played it at (I don't own an X-Box 360), my save game kept getting erased. Erased from the Memory Card? OK, I can understand that. A lot of people, at the time, were using those cards. Erased from the Hard Drive? Yeah, that was unforgivable and I haven't played the game again since then.

    Still, I infinitely enjoyed Dead Rising more than the "critically acclaimed" games of '07 like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed. Even if it was just mindless running around and mowing (sometimes literally) of zombies.

    Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The weird thing about Dead Rising is that the game worked backwards from what we expect. You fuck around and pull off neat tricks at first and THEN you go for the plotline.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The weird thing about Dead Rising is that the game worked backwards from what we expect. You fuck around and pull off neat tricks at first and THEN you go for the plotline.

    Which is the way it should be. Usually after the story is over I get bored, so having the story be after the dicking around stage, the game lasted longer for me.

    Veevee on
  • Options
    katkakatka Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dead Rising was the reason I wanted a 360. Sadly when I got it I put maybe an hour into it before I quit due the the stupid unreadable text. Didn't play it for a while. Then I got my HDTV and tried it again and loved it.

    One of my favorite things to do in the game is just put on some random music (The Beetles are a great choice btw) and going into the tunnels and running over zombies.

    That said however I can see why people don't like it. The missions aren't really that great for the most part and the survivor AI is just fucking awful. If you can't get past that though there is a really good game there.

    katka on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    There should at least be a bunch of dry-humping zombie piles.

    At least.

    I think it'd give new meaning to the term "dry hump."

    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    That ending was weird

    Tube on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That ending was weird

    Which one?

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    The best one. I loved the ending to the 72 hours, with
    the chopper exploding and Frank left helpless. They could have left it at that. The overtime ending was just weird, because it seemed like they wanted a "and they were fucked" ending, but then they give you that text at the end that says he made it out. How? Show, don't tell. I thought the implication was that the virus had finally taken hold, or at least some kind of hopelessness, not "I have defeated the bad guy and must now scream at the sun".

    Tube on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The best one. I loved the ending to the 72 hours, with
    the chopper exploding and Frank left helpless. They could have left it at that. The overtime ending was just weird, because it seemed like they wanted a "and they were fucked" ending, but then they give you that text at the end that says he made it out. How? Show, don't tell. I thought the implication was that the virus had finally taken hold, or at least some kind of hopelessness, not "I have defeated the bad guy and must now scream at the sun".
    It was a scream of victory.
    He has a tank now, you see.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I started the game, and I just finished case 1-4. I've wasted a lot of time getting lost/wandering around, and I'm level 5. It sounds like I should just explore the mall and level up a bunch, which sounds fine to me because I think it'd be a lot of fun, but is there going to be an annoying "YOU HAVE FAILED" continuously staring at me on my screen, or will the game world as a whole change in some way for good? (Sort of like the time just before the final dungeon/battle in some RPGs where the overworld music changes to something depressing and the sky turns eternally dark.)

    GimeC on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The worst part about Dead Rising is waiting, possibly fruitlessly, for Capcom to make a sequel that solves all the problems of the original.

    Iriah on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    The worst part about Dead Rising is waiting, possibly fruitlessly, for Capcom to make a sequel that solves all the problems of the original.

    There will be a sequel.

    Dead Rising sold well and this is friggen CAPCOM.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I meant the sequel might not solve the problems. It'd suck if the sequel forced you to jump through these fucking hoops.

    Iriah on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh, they could release Super Dead Rising Turbo ZX Tournament Edition Battle Network with the only difference being more stores and stuff to play with in them and I'd probably buy it all over again.
    The only fixes I'd really appreciate are the SD text, and some sort of save for Infinite mode. Even if it was just a temporary save that erased itself the next time you loaded, because damn if I have the time to play Dead Rising for over 14 hours straight (nor do I wish to leave my 360 on that long) to get those last unlockables.

    Lars on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lars wrote: »
    Meh, they could release Super Dead Rising Turbo ZX Tournament Edition Battle Network with the only difference being more stores and stuff to play with in them and I'd probably buy it all over again.
    The only fixes I'd really appreciate are the SD text, and some sort of save for Infinite mode. Even if it was just a temporary save that erased itself the next time you loaded, because damn if I have the time to play Dead Rising for over 14 hours straight (nor do I wish to leave my 360 on that long) to get those last unlockables.

    Infinite mode was disappointing. Food doesn't respawn at all and you can't save. So you eventually die no matter what. What's the point? Oh well, at least you can beat Otis to death with a bat, so its well worth it. :lol:

    TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Meh, they could release Super Dead Rising Turbo ZX Tournament Edition Battle Network with the only difference being more stores and stuff to play with in them and I'd probably buy it all over again.
    The only fixes I'd really appreciate are the SD text, and some sort of save for Infinite mode. Even if it was just a temporary save that erased itself the next time you loaded, because damn if I have the time to play Dead Rising for over 14 hours straight (nor do I wish to leave my 360 on that long) to get those last unlockables.

    Infinite mode was disappointing. Food doesn't respawn at all and you can't save. So you eventually die no matter what. What's the point? Oh well, at least you can beat Otis to death with a bat, so its well worth it. :lol:

    The point is to see how long you can last, which goes up on a leaderboard. I think 12 days (24 hours) was the record when I checked a year and a half ago.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, can somebody help me out here?
    With the bomb collecting mission. I manage to get about three of them before that dickhole Carlito runs me over for good. I really can't take losing it again, it's really frustrating. Any ideas?

    Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Okay, can somebody help me out here?
    With the bomb collecting mission. I manage to get about three of them before that dickhole Carlito runs me over for good. I really can't take losing it again, it's really frustrating. Any ideas?
    You can kill Carlito, wait until he runs into a wall and either shoot him, or run up to the door and slash the hell out of him with a katana or something

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Okay, can somebody help me out here?
    With the bomb collecting mission. I manage to get about three of them before that dickhole Carlito runs me over for good. I really can't take losing it again, it's really frustrating. Any ideas?
    Take down the shotgun or megabuster(if you have it), and some katanas. You can shank his ass through the door or shoot him through the window, both of which will stop him.

    For the actual driving around, at least one of the bombs has a car next to it, and there's another elsewhere. Get your first bomb, drive to a bomb with a spare car, get the second bomb, swap cars, get the third bomb, swap again if possible, gtfo.

    yalborap on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    @Cloudman
    It's been awhile but I remember that was pretty frustrating for me as well. I'm trying to remember exactly what I did. The best I can recall is, find a map of all the bombs and the cars in the underground area and plot a route that lets you drive there. Seriously, just cheat and look at a labelled map, it's not worth the aggravation. Beyond that, bring lots of good juices like Quickstep and Invincibility, and I know for sure I had a Katana with me but I can't remember why I thought that was a good idea :P 'm pretty sure you can slash his tires/wreck his truck up enough that it makes it harder for him to hassle you. Err, sorry this hasn't been very helpful, I did this like a year ago at least :O

    EDIT: haha alright! guess I had the same bright ideas as everyone else...
    Seriously, yea, Katana his ass and find some wheels. Saves time and headaches.

    MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

    Because he moderates an internet forum

    http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Alright, thanks guys. As soon as I stop being hopelessly addicted to No More Heroes I'll chop his bitch ass up.

    Clint Eastwood on
Sign In or Register to comment.