As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Solicitations for April 2008

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Keith's idea would be great for an Ultimate DC style spin-off universe. And then it could turn out so great that it would slowly marginalize the regular DC universe causing editorial to come up with bigger and crazier ideas to compete with their own product until it all collapses under the ridiculousness of it all.

except for it to work in an "Ultimate DC universe" it would require said universe to exist for at least a few years

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i'd like a maxi-series of marvel and dc's universes merging for a year

with various specials and the like attached

daredevil and nightwing butting heads,

batman and spidey cleaning up midtown

oh man that'd rule

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think DC will -have- to go for something along the lines of an "ultimate" universe, the current mess with multilple worlds and what not is just not "new reader friendly." Starting off fresh with everything properly lined up would be a huge step in the right direction from my pov.

But then I want characters that age five years per every 20 years (at least) and dead people to stay dead.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well before Countdown started messing with everything, it would've been easy to turn one of the other 52 into an Earth where things suddenly moved more in real-time. Hell, people are used to the idea with Earth 2 having all the heroes aged, what we need is one where current continuity is what's been aged instead of Silver age continuity.

Or something. I dunno, I don't think DC really cares about keeping a coherent multiverse together at all these days.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well before Countdown started messing with everything, it would've been easy to turn one of the other 52 into an Earth where things suddenly moved more in real-time. Hell, people are used to the idea with Earth 2 having all the heroes aged, what we need is one where current continuity is what's been aged instead of Silver age continuity.

Or something. I dunno, I don't think DC really cares about keeping a coherent multiverse together at all these days.

It's not even a year old yet. Wait awhile.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »

oh man that'd rule

I'd really want to see Superman and The Sentry interact.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

oh man that'd rule

I'd really want to see Superman and The Sentry interact.

I just want Lobo to get his revenge on that fraggin' bastich Wolverine.

Dangerous thinking this is.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keith's idea would be great for an Ultimate DC style spin-off universe. And then it could turn out so great that it would slowly marginalize the regular DC universe causing editorial to come up with bigger and crazier ideas to compete with their own product until it all collapses under the ridiculousness of it all.

"It's magic, we don't have to explain it"...?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »

It's not even a year old yet. Wait awhile.

No point in waiting. Prime blew up a few Earths, Monarch blew a few up, and killed some pivotal heroes from different Earths on top of taking things like Gotham by Gaslight, Red Son, and In Darkest Knight making the main elements of those different universes almost completely unworkable.

At this point I'd guess they're going to reunify the multiverse -again- because you can't tell stories for at least 5 universes with no Earth and a ton of others that always have to reference Monarch being a douche to explain why this Earth has no Batman, Wonder Woman, GL, Superman, Blue Beetle, etc.

EDIT In fact, things could have been salvaged if not for Arena killing lots of people and some Earths....maybe. Who knows how many Prime went through before we picked up his story?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Spoiler becomes Batman. Then dies two issues later, with Dan Didio adamantly denying that she was ever a real Batman.

A week later the GirlWonder.org militia marches on DC headquarters and stage a coup.

You didn't read the Geoff Johns interview at Newsarama a couple of weeks back? Johns said that Spoiler was one of Didio's favourite characters but since she was killed before he got the job, he had no choice in the matter. And they're obviously not giving her a monument because they've already brought her back.

And yeah, I'm going to guess the multiverse will be partially reset at the end of Countdown. What the hell is the point of creating a universe around Gotham by Gaslight if you're going to turn Batman, the main bloody character, into a vampire?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There isn't going to be some reset, we've already got two post Countdown alternate Earth books coming out. Obviously there will be changes, and I doubt there will be 52 (or 51) Earths in the wake of everything.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heres hoping that at the conclusion of Countdown SuperManchild calms down a bit and returns to his old job of kicking reality until all of the stupid crap like the Monarch gets jiggled out of existence and we can have an entire run in the Steampunk DCU.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Heres hoping that at the conclusion of Countdown SuperManchild calms down a bit and returns to his old job of kicking reality until all of the stupid crap like the Monarch gets jiggled out of existence and we can have an entire run in the Steampunk DCU.

You're assuming Monarch survives his battle.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No i'm talking "a slight tap here, a kick here and oh look! that retarded piece of 4 year olds MY CHARACTER CAN KILL ALL YOUR CHARACTERS AT ONCE! has completely vanished from continuity, never existed and didn't host a stupid arena death match for reasons that didn't make sense"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah maybe you should just read All-New Atom, issue #20 on sale February 6.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, but i read countdown: arena and i feel that giving them any more of my money would be sending the wrong message.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

oh man that'd rule

It's weird that you should mention that. Just the other day I had a conversation with someone about how awesome it would be if a handful of Marvel characters ended up in the DC universe for a year and vice versa. One of our favourite ideas was Daredevil spending a year in Gotham.

I have no problem with characters ageing and dying and their various sidekicks taking over. In fact I think it makes for brilliant storytelling. I do, however, feel a bit cynical about a Batman R.I.P story showing up less than a year after Captain America was killed off. It feels too much like a "Whoah! Marvel did this and got ~loads~ of publicity! We should do it too!" move.

I am somewhat amused at the thought of Colbert getting Batman's cape though.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well regardless of the outcome, with Morrison writing it, it should be a hell of a story.

Bat-Mite is Batman in 08'

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    That wouldn't work with Marvel because they don't have sidekick/legacy characters like all the major DC heroes are.
    They've already done it for Cap.

Sure, but there's no Spider-Kid, Iron-Boy, or Daredevil Jnr and so on.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »
    That wouldn't work with Marvel because they don't have sidekick/legacy characters like all the major DC heroes are.

Well there's Spider-Girl, as in Peter and MJ's daughter in the future, not any of the Spider-women about. But then she lives in an alternative future timeline thing where May's death during the Clone saga actually happened. Which is good, because it means she didn't cease to exist in the wake of OMD.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Well there's Spider-Girl, as in Peter and MJ's daughter in the future, not any of the Spider-women about. But then she lives in an alternative future timeline thing where May's death during the Clone saga actually happened. Which is good, because it means she didn't cease to exist in the wake of OMD.

All I have to say, is at the end of BND

There better fucking be a Spiderman/Spidergirl crossover, with the end being a reset of BND(Minus the return of the webshooters. Yes it is a worthless plot device, but more importantly, it has been a longstanding icon that Pete isn't all just olol superpowerz), and the reveal that Baby May still exists.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    awesome

take it to the BND/OMD threads

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Absolutely. I really, really want Peter and May to age over the years and eventually have Mayday and little Ben. What the heck is wrong with that? JSA has loads of second and third generation heroes and that's one of the most awesome books DC are putting out there.

Not to mention the recent revelation in Captain America that Sharon is pregnant, which makes American Dream a remote possibility too :)

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I'm pretty worried about this Batman solicitation, personally:

http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/9129_400x600.jpg
    Written by Grant Morrison; Art and variant cover by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross

Are you ready for "Batman R.I.P."?

Beginning the epic story that will change the legend of the Dark Knight forever! Everything in Grant Morrison's groundbreaking run on Batman has been leading to this story, and nothing will ever be the same again.

Who will live? Who will die? Who will be Batman? The answers are sure to shock you in "Batman R.I.P.," featuring artwork by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea and covers by Alex Ross.

Batman | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

On Sale April 23, 2008

D:

Cool cover, though.

(I hope this wasn't posted already; I looked through the thread and didn't see it)

I still like my idea of killing off the "big" heroes (not all at once), having their protégés take up the various mantles, and then making everyone start aging in (semi) real time. Also get rid of resurrections.

It would make comics less confusing ("How is Batman still 30 after 70 years but Dick Grayson is like 28 now?") and actually give stories an edge. Right now we know that Superman won't really die in a story, so any "impending doom" is just superficial.

some of you probably hate this idea but what do you know

Sometimes, I want to punch D.C. in the dick.

For YEARS now, they could of had him slowly aging.

Then kill him.

Then throw him into a Lazurus Pit.

Make some epic story around it, and there you go. You can have 30 year old bruce and 28 year old Dick.

But Noooo they just ignore it.

Lame as hell.

Transporter on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    awesome

take it to the BND/OMD threads

Seriously. I'm barely able to tolerate the extended bitching and moaning in those threads as it is, much less when it derails other threads.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Then kill him.

Make some epic story around it, and there you go. You can have 30 year old bruce and 28 year old Dick.

Lame as hell.

I want to read that story so bad.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Then kill him.

Lame as hell.

Problem with that is that if you're going to age Bruce you'll have to age everyone else too. Lois? Jimmy? Alfred? Ma and Pa Kent? And so on.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Then kill him.

Lame as hell.

Problem with that is that if you're going to age Bruce you'll have to age everyone else too. Lois? Jimmy? Alfred? Ma and Pa Kent? And so on.

Again, I have no problem with that. Especially if we're going for the general five real years = 1 comic year rule. It's lot like they'll all age and die overnight. I'm very forgiving of time in comics. I'm perfectly willing to forgive The Beatles (or the skrullish versions) being at Sue and Reed's wedding when they have two young children. I understand that comics aren't reality and that maybe DC weren't expecting Bruce and Alfred to still be around several decades later. But there comes a point where suspension of disbelief becomes an excuse not to deal with having older characters around forever and younger characters that never get a chance to grow up.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Then kill him.

Lame as hell.

How is that a problem? There could be another Earth/reality where time moves differently or something. That way, we could have ageless characters too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They need to do something about ages depending on who's writing there's like 10 official timelines ranging from 12 years to 18 years. Which would put Batman at ages ranging from 35-43.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Then kill him.

Lame as hell.

Why? That sounds terrible.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lazarus Pits have been starring the Batman writers in the face for how long now? Heck even when I watched the cartoons I was thinking "Why wouldn't Bruce take over the operation with Wayne enterprises and take a dip himself?"

Unless he doesn't want to live forever, or be Batman forever (heh). But that too would give him a chance to step aside for Grayson.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Maybe because Lazarus Pits make the user damn insane. And they're kind of overused in the comics, if you ask me. I still dry heave a little every time I think of Lazara.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Batman Beyond addressed this, didn't it?

Lazarus pits rob the user of their humanity or something every time they are used, which is Ra's is such a bastard now.

Batman would never give up his humanity~

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    They had Bruce use a Lazarus Pit in Superman/Batman: Generations. It gave him a distinguished white streak in his hair.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Batman Beyond addressed this, didn't it?

Lazarus pits rob the user of their humanity or something every time they are used, which is Ra's is such a bastard now.

Batman would never give up his humanity~

They did adress this in Batman Beyond.

Some crazy shit happend to Bruce. Tahlia appeared and gave Bruce some distilled medical form of what the Lazurus Pit is made of, Bruce gets young.

Bruce hates it, because it feels cheap. He's already lived a long life, his days of being batman are over, yada yada.

Then Bruce and Terry fuck shit up and have milkshakes.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also, any story involving the Lazurus pit ressurecting Batman would have to be against his will.

Inside of that, there is a possibility of a good story.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lazarus Pits always seem like a deus ex machina to me when they're used in stories. They're just so... cheap.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I bow to Zeromus' point of view on the matter of Lazarus Pits. Mostly because of his Dr.Freeze icon.

Damn that's awesome.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mr. Freeze.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png