As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Verbal Camouflage: Euphemisms in Politics and Business

ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm reading a book titled On Writing Well. In it, author William Zinsser argues that euphemisms are one of the worst clutters in language. He finds it disappointing that they have become so common in our everyday conversation. He says they often get in the way of what we're actually trying to say, or give us a means of hiding behind political-correctness-gone-amok, or worse yet, vague rhetoric. It gives people, especially politicians, a way of hiding their mistakes or dispelling possible criticism against their actions.

Some common euphemisms:

Garbage collector -> waste disposal personnel
Prostitute -> adult entertainer
Slum -> depressed socioeconomic area
Town dump -> volume reduction unit
Bum -> hard-core unemployed
Disabled person -> minimally exceptional person
Invasion -> reinforced protective reaction strike

When a company makes layoffs, it is simply resorting to "involuntary methodologies." When an Air Force missile crashes, it "impacts the ground prematurely." When a corporation closes a plant, it is a "volume-related production-schedule adjustment." Companies that go belly-up have a "negative cash-flow problem."
As George Orwell pointed out in "Politics and the English Language," an essay written in 1946 but often cited during the wars in Cambodia, Vietnam, and Iraq, "political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness." Orwell's warning that clutter is not just a nuisance but a deadly tool came true in recent decades of American military adventurism. It was during George W. Bush's presidency that "civilian casualties" in Iraq became "collateral damage.

Verbal camouflage reached new heights during General Alexander Haig's tenure as President Reagan's secretary of state. Before Haig nobody had thought of saying "at this juncture of maturization" to mean "now." He told the American people that terrorism could be fought with "meaningful sanctionary teeth" and that intermediate nuclear missiles were "at the vortex of cruciality." As for any worries that the public might harbor, his message was "leave it to Al," though what he actually said was: "We must push this to a lower decibel of public fixation. I don't think there's much of a learning curve to be achieved in this area of content."

This is one of the reasons why politics, to me, is so frustrating. It's not that they are fooling me, or you, but that there are people out there who eat this shit up.

Are these politicians using euphemisms to justify their actions simply to other people, or to themselves as well?

What are some euphemisms you commonly encounter?

ege02 on

• Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ege02 wrote: »
    Disabled person -> minimally exceptional person
    I think I'd find "minimally exceptional person" more insulting than "disabled person". Actually, I don't think I'd find "disabled person" insulting at all...

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hard-core unemployed is one of the few that I've never heard from your list, it brings forth the delightful image of someone sitting about watching daytime tv to the max.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Returning videotapes->Homicidal rampage

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    OK, I laughed at "hard-core unemployed".

Because that's pretty much what I am due to two years of disability leave. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    hard-core unemployed is one of the few that I've never heard from your list, it brings forth the delightful image of someone sitting about watching daytime tv to the max.

I am hard-core unemployed right now. I have no broadcast TV though. I need to pay Microsoft to watch anything on TV.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    300px-MagrittePipe.jpg

All language is euphemism.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think people who use euphemisms know what they are doing. I suspect there are words that rile people up and words that don't. I'm not sure how much is nature and how much is culture though. I suspect most is culture which suggests the euphemizers will need to change up their word choices as the polis catches up with the disemblers.

Also that made no fucking sense but in my brain it was a brilliant insight.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have never heard of any of those common euphemisms. I don't think there is really a problem with most euphemisms I hear though, usually it is just people trying to be polite, and I do not think there is any danger of people being to nice anytime soon.

Neaden on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's being clever, crafty, and manipulative. It's bad for society as a whole.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Man I've never even heard half of the euphemisms quoted in the OP, and the rest seem sensible. 'slum' is a dismissive term that glosses over the causes and effects of the place. I consider it far more of a euphemism than 'depressed socioeconomic area' - that phrase says exactly what it means. You're just bitching because its longer than the original term.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What Bush means, followed by what he says.

I don't give a fuck about you people.
    "I'm here to say that I care."

My buddies and I are making out like bandits.
    "My tax plan will stimulate the economy."

We're going to kill as many brown people as it takes to secure oil futures, regardless of the cost to anyone else.
    "The war on terror is necessary for national security."

TL DR on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The OP is using the word "euphemism" as a euphemism for "vagueness."

Tar and feather him.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited January 2008
    I think people are missing the true point of what the OP was trying to get at, which is euphemisms used within the political discourse and how they can be used to reinforce the viewpoints of those in power. Sure most of those examples he uses are invalid but his argument stands.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Indeed. Politicians who use doublespeak suck. And?

Quid on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It isn't really news that politicians lie about stuff.

Greeper on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love watching people continuously create new euphemisms because they're now offended by the euphemisms they created a few years earlier.

I'm just waiting for the day someone completely runs out of new ones and has to cycle back to the beginning.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    I love watching people continuously create new euphemisms because they're now offended by the euphemisms they created a few years earlier.

I'm just waiting for the day someone completely runs out of new ones and has to cycle back to the beginning.

Like fashion. Although I don't think powdered wigs are going to make it back into the rotation.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Man I've never even heard half of the euphemisms quoted in the OP, and the rest seem sensible. 'slum' is a dismissive term that glosses over the causes and effects of the place. I consider it far more of a euphemism than 'depressed socioeconomic area' - that phrase says exactly what it means. You're just bitching because its longer than the original term.

Particularly since the old standard definiton of slums can actually be places that are very upwardly mobile and socio-economically advancing beyond areas which are not deemed slums but are declining in their prospects. If you gloss over those facts and focus solely on population density rather than taking the social and economis aspects into account, you're falling into the trap that fucked over those places in that last round of slum clearing.

moniker on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My dad rants on about this sort of thing all the time. Since he's in advertising, its basically his job.

My favorite is "harvest". Now it used to be that you harvested something that you planted, like harvesting wheat. But now harvest is used to describe the collection of any sort of resource. Its great because it seems to fit for anything.

Clear cutting --> Harvesting trees
    Trawling --> Harvesting fish
    Strip mining --> Harvesting diamonds (yes I have heard this)

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    My dad rants on about this sort of thing all the time. Since he's in advertising, its basically his job.

My favorite is "harvest". Now it used to be that you harvested something that you planted, like harvesting wheat. But now harvest is used to describe the collection of any sort of resource. Its great because it seems to fit for anything.

Strop mining --> Harvesting diamonds (yes I have heard this)

Uh I don't think that's really a euphemism, just an evolution of the words definition.

Harvesting Minerals, Harvesting Energy, etc... all valid uses. Harvest isn't restricted to crops anymore.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Uh I don't think that's really a euphemism, just an evolution of the words definition.

Harvesting Minerals, Harvesting Energy, etc... all valid uses. Harvest isn't restricted to crops anymore.

Well its certainly turning into that. I dont know any way of finding a modern history of the use of the word, but it certainly is used euphemistically. Harvest has a very nice connotation, much better than some of the terms its replacing.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    It depends on what kind of writing you are doing. Different audiences and venues call for different styles.

Shinto on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm disgusted with the way politicians are able to sell their ideas to people just by sugar coating with cute vocabulary.

I was going to post more examples, but Wikipedia does an ok job.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Personaly I like to use the euphemism Hard of Thinking for stupid people.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's nothing wrong with euphemisms at all. The OP's main issue is with doublespeak.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Words are not and will never be neutral tools.

So I don't understand the angst.

Shinto on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess it should also be pointed out that people don't just use alternative terms to soften down the emotional impact of an idea, but also to increase it as well. For instance, say a bomb in Bagdad killed 50 people, which is a somewhat neutral way of putting it. If someone wanted to spin this to less disturbing they might say that "an explosive device in Bagdad caused collateral damage to the population", but if they wanted to make this more disturbing they might say "blood and guts went flying when terrorists in Bagdad slaughtered dozens of innocents." Both are technically correct, and both have an agenda.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shinto wrote: »

A person who would prefer such neutrality and objectivity is understandably offended by doublespeak.

Be the change you want to see yadda yadda.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

A person who would prefer such neutrality and objectivity is understandably offended by doublespeak.

Be the change you want to see yadda yadda.

Shinto on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Several of the examples in the OP I would not consider euphemisms, and also most of them I haven't even heard before.

When Writing Well, euphemisms are, well, flowery and unnecessary, and may obscure your point. But not all writing and speech is created with the intention of being direct. If your intention is to be direct, don't use euphemisms. Your speech and writing will be clearer and people will consider you a person of honesty (if you're lucky). Political speech, however, uses euphemisms for a very good reason, precisely because politicians don't want the voting public to be shocked and horrified at the outcome of some events. It hurts their chances of getting elected next year, obviously. No amount of hand-wringing about how politicians use doublespeak is going to change the way democracy works.

So my opinion on the matter is that well, yeah, euphemisms can make stuff harder to understand for some people. That's exactly why they're used, and people have solid motivatons for doing so. You need to be bright enough to see through them, and that's the only solution I see to the matter.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Well its certainly turning into that. I dont know any way of finding a modern history of the use of the word, but it certainly is used euphemistically. Harvest has a very nice connotation, much better than some of the terms its replacing.

I dunno, harvesting has a strong hint of violence behind it, of sweeping through a field of grain and destroying everything to get at what you want. Clear cutting, trawling, and strip mining parallel harvesting far more than more careful methods of doing the same thing.

jothki on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't understand the angst.
    People in here have been reading too many Palahniuk novels. It's starting to get to them.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Harvest has a very nice connotation, much better than some of the terms its replacing.
    When I hear "harvest" my mind usually adds "organs" to the end of it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Harvest has a very nice connotation, much better than some of the terms its replacing.
    When I hear "harvest" my mind usually adds "blue" to the beginning of it.

Feral on

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    When I hear "harvest" my mind usually adds "moon" to the end of it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Adult entertainer" doesn't even mean "prostitute," it means "stripper" or possibly "porn actor." The nicer term for prostitute is usually "escort." Some of your other examples are more precise than the terms they're replacing, and the others are rarely if ever used. Seriously, "minimally exceptional person"? No one uses that!

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This thread is so nineties.

But seriously, most of those euphemisms are euphemisms for euphemisms. And I don't think many of them are used seriously very often.

I think the worst euphemism is "War on Terror".

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You've lumped in polite word replacements with mendacious political speak, ege. Giving a low-status job a nicer title isn't the same thing as calling deaths "collateral".

Or do you just call all disabled people "cripples" ?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    itt ege rages against tact.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think its funny that 'retarded' was a euphemism once... reasonably polite and now its one of the most insulting words for disabled people.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii