As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: Saga Edition Discussion/Game Set-Up Thread

1131415161719»

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thought I'd resurrect the thread to talk about how the game is going and ask for some more advice.
    The game's been going pretty great, my players have embarked on a journey to an inhospitable volcanic planet, seeking it out as a possible base location because of the system having very few hyperspace routes in or out. They managed to land safely despite the volcanic ash and rock spewing into the atmosphere, but were attacked by a ginormous beast (tm) that shouldn’t even have been on the planet (dun dun dun). As they defeated it and were gathering their things (they rammed it with their scouting truck, which it tossed aside, scattering their supplies), the ground began to break up, and their ship was lost to the lava in an earthquake. One of the players had modded a swoop and had left it in the cargo bay, so she used the group’s ascension gun, slid down the deck (it was at an angle as it sank), hopped on her swoop, and gunned it out of the cargo hold (the ship being one of those that is just a vessel for transporting cargo containers). Everyone thought this was pretty bad ass.

The group followed their scanners to a relatively nearby mountain range as they fled the quake, and left their vehicles at the mouth of a cave, which they quickly realized was a tunnel. They wandered these tunnels for hours, ultimately coming upon a fairly large cavern, and were ambushed by (gasp!) a squad of battle droids! They dispatched them ridiculously quickly (seriously, even with their CLs being even, they tore through them like paper, I’ve never seen a battle last only 15 minutes like that before), and scavenged the remains, including a few crates of parts they were apparently transporting.

As they continued through the caverns, following a river of lava that widened the deeper they went, they encountered another, much larger and (probably much larger than I should have thrown at them, but I had little planned for this session so it was just a gauntlet of battle droids to make them feel like badasses).
    Now, at this point, I called it a night, because I had something in mind, and wanted it to be ‘right’, and I’d not prepped very well.

What I have in mind is, they’ll find a super secret Separatist base/ship/superweapon of some kind in this massive cavern, the mountain overhead having been a facade, used to shield the base from scanners and whatnot. I’ve been thinking that the base has been kept intact by a prototype replica droid who now commands the droids in the base. He’ll be based partially on Switch from Dawn of Defiance and CLU from Tron, simultaneously fancying himself an organic and yet better than one, building himself a droid army that he can’t possibly transport offworld without some assistance.
    I’d like there to be some roleplaying involved, and the fact that the replica droid isn’t what he appears would play an important part in this.

I guess my question is, how should I present this whole situation? Thus far it’s been a bit of a dungeon crawl, but I think some of my players might be getting bored with that, so I want to toss in some interaction here and there. Also there’s the goal to keep in mind that they need to get the hell off this planet, and determine whether they should bother with the place for a rebel base or not. The Seppie base is there as a dangling carrot, have half their work done for them already, but I know they all have come to loathe this place enough to never look back.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, somewhat ironic timing for this thread to pop back up.

The Mrs. and me are about to start a campaign with our old Saga GM using a set of fantasy conversion rules.

It ought to be fun, but the way they handled some of it is kind of slipshod.

But hey, they left the x2 Str mod to damage with two handed weapons, the great axe does 2d12 and half orcs get +4 to Str and a racial rage power. I'm going to keep a tally of how many enemies I kill outright in one blow.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Which rules are you using? E20? If they're any good I'd be interested in checking it out. I'm a huge fan of Saga, and while I have no beef with 4e I'd much prefer playing in a fantasy setting with something a little closer to Saga rules.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This is a set that apparently some WotC forumers were working on. My GM is pretty dialed in to the Saga community on those boards (I used to be, but I just quit going after the forum jump) and he got an advance copy. Apparently the project is about to wrap up and see some scale of internet publication, so it'll probably be available soon.

Until then, I'm basically sworn to secrecy on details. But I feel pretty safe in saying that it's basically a fantasy overlay on Saga. Pretty much everything that got changed was some sort of player option, not fundamental mechanics.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What I have in mind is, they’ll find a super secret Separatist base/ship/superweapon of some kind in this massive cavern, the mountain overhead having been a facade, used to shield the base from scanners and whatnot. I’ve been thinking that the base has been kept intact by a prototype replica droid who now commands the droids in the base. He’ll be based partially on Switch from Dawn of Defiance and CLU from Tron, simultaneously fancying himself an organic and yet better than one, building himself a droid army that he can’t possibly transport offworld without some assistance.
    I’d like there to be some roleplaying involved, and the fact that the replica droid isn’t what he appears would play an important part in this.

I guess my question is, how should I present this whole situation?
    It sounds like you want this Switch/CLU recplica droid to have some face time with the PCs, so the first thing I'd work on is its characterization and personality. The other thing you might think about is its cover story. Depending on how you set up the battles, you can have the CLU-like replica droid claim the world / base is something like Droid World - a circumspect, out-of-the-way place for droid purchase and repair. After all, with the bad rap that droids currently have in your universe (I'm guessing it's prequel / Clone Wars timeframe?), it makes sense that a droid expert would want to go underground.

Give the replica droid a bunch of "apparently generous, but clearly insane scientist" tropes and turn it into a mystery. Let the PCs slowly uncover the truth, then see what they'll do stuck in the middle of a base full of enemy robots.

I love the sound of that! The era is actually Rebellion, I thought an old Separatist base would be an interesting excursion into the past, and the replica droid would make it all the more interesting.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    for bonus points, make him a replica of some famous, nefarious separatist general - someone like Lok Durd

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I ended up winging a lot of it, and it turned into the most RP-centric of our sessions so far, which is always a plus. The group encountered the benevolent man that had been here for a long, long time, and talked with him and his right-hand protocol droid for a while. And then explored the ship while also attempting to repair the engines of the Star Destroyer.
    I have a lot of refining of the things I thought up on the fly, but I think our next session is going to be very interesting. One of the best parts of GM'ing is presenting mysteries on the spot and then fleshing them out later :lol:

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like fun, Phibbs. I am jealous of your Star Wars playing.

My RL group barely meets every fews months (stupid adulthood) and all these turkeys ever want to play is min/maxed D&D 3.5e.

Wankers.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    and these turkeys ever want to play is min/maxed D&D 3.5e.

is this what Hell is like

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    We do have a relatively healthy gaming schedule, it's kind of nice. I think the only drawback is a lot of times the majority of players want a weekly game, which is a lot of pressure on everyone involved; one of the 4e games I play in kind of fizzled out last week because one of the guys has to work 3rd shift for 4 weeks straight, and we'd been playing once a week solid since February...and had only leveled up once in that time. It's been a bit of a slog.
    We've been a little sporadic with SWSE, because I'm gm'ing that and I'm terrible at actually planning things. So sometimes we'll play twice in a week, and then we'll go the whole month without a session. But when we do play it's usually a lot of fun. We're dealing with a new issue of one of the players moving to Chicago, about 2 1/2 hours away, and travelling for work all the time, but still wanting to game...so I'm figuring out a Skype setup for him to participate when he can't be in town. It will be...interesting to see how it works out.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like you've got a pretty good group Phibbs. Wish I could find a group around here in Austin.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    really?

i thought austin was like the san francisco of texas.

woulda figured there'd be more wierdos around. :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    and these turkeys ever want to play is min/maxed D&D 3.5e.

is this what Hell is like

Kind of, yeah.

I mean, I don't mind 3.5e. But I like to think I have a good attitude about the whole thing. Whereas the two more vocal members of our group are really keen on power gaming and taking things to the limit. We're all experienced enough players to have the right amount of RP and fun, its not just a rules exploiting wank fest......but sometimes it really, really is.

I just want to play something new, sometimes, ya know? Without the others acting like little bitches about it. Sigh.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad we don't have the min/maxing to that degree in my groups (which are largely the same people, give or take a few people depending on the game). There are one or two who refuse to create a level 1 character with less than a 20 in their primary hit stat (I'm of the mind that when you're using point buy, more than an 18 in a given stat, even after racial bonuses, is obvious min/maxing, but some would disagree) and seem to pick the obvious 'why wouldn't everyone get this?' feats nearly every time, but there's very few game breaking combos that come out of it, somehow.

SWSE doesn't seem as exploitable as 3.5 or 4e, though. Most of the additions made by the books seem more along the lines of increasing options, rather than creating a power creep.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    really?

i thought austin was like the san francisco of texas.

woulda figured there'd be more wierdos around. :P

It pretty much is, I just don't really know where to look. There are a couple folks here at work who are into 4e, but I haven't found anyone into SWSE.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad we don't have the min/maxing to that degree in my groups (which are largely the same people, give or take a few people depending on the game). There are one or two who refuse to create a level 1 character with less than a 20 in their primary hit stat (I'm of the mind that when you're using point buy, more than an 18 in a given stat, even after racial bonuses, is obvious min/maxing, but some would disagree) and seem to pick the obvious 'why wouldn't everyone get this?' feats nearly every time, but there's very few game breaking combos that come out of it, somehow.

SWSE doesn't seem as exploitable as 3.5 or 4e, though. Most of the additions made by the books seem more along the lines of increasing options, rather than creating a power creep.
    I would agree with Saga vs 3.5. Vs 4E, though, Saga has some... stability issues.

I love the core of the game, the very basic mechanics of it. Especially the changes they made from 3E. But the implementation of a lot of things at a player option level is really open to major abuse. Even completely unintentionally. I decide to sit down and "fix" Saga about once a month, and I always get distracted. Probably because it would basically mean rewriting nearly the entirety of the core rulebook to some degree, and I still have the emotional scars from doing that with 3.5.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    That reminds me that one of my players started working on a master reference excel sheet, with all feats and talents, and to a lesser degree, equipment (just weapons so far), listed along with what book they're in, page number, a brief description in the case of talents and powers, and stats for the weapons.
    He's not worked on it in months so I might take it and run with it. Ideally I'd like it to have full writeups on everything, though I am not sure to what degree this would violate copyrights and whatnot if it were to be released publicly in that case.
    I know some documents like this already exist, they're just not of the detail we wanted. I also don't think many of the ones available have the last couple of books included.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    this one is incredibly detailed and has everything, I think.

edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?w7mlg0lq70gnd90

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Did Legacy ever get errata?

I'm specifically wondering about Hammerblows, because in my current campaign this stands to be absolutely ridiculous as an attack bonus (as written) and only really, really good as a damage bonus (as it kind of looks like it ought to be).

Mostly because of my GM doubling unarmed attack damage dice and my 20 Str score.

• Options
    it's not been errata'd that i know of, but it's a damage bonus

• Options
    it's not been errata'd that i know of, but it's a damage bonus
    Not on the copy that I'm looking at.
    If you are unarmed and holding no items, you double your Strength bonus on unarmed attack rolls

I thought it was damage too, until I checked the book.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    ah, yeah, it's just an attack bonus

now, your GM is kind of dumb for doubling unarmed bonus, because it's NORMALLY balanced out at one die without other talents / feats which are usually limited by encounter

i would probably let your GM know it's going to get kind of out of hand if he lets your unarmed strikes remain equivalent with lightsabers

also something to note is that it only applies when UNARMED - any sort of gauntlet does count as being 'armed' (such as combat gloves or vibroknucklers)

either way it's a sticky wicket so i would avoid the talent altogether, as it's potentially gamebreaking and really murky

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Well, it's kind of an odd circumstance. We're playing a fantasy, swords-and-sorcery game that is basically an overlay for Saga. The people who put it together basically just doubled the dice for all non-powered weapons to keep the math relatively close for the purposes of Damage Threshold. So a Longsword does 2d8, a greataxe does 2d12, etc. They didn't, however, raise unarmed or natural weapon damage.

Natural weapons on non-player characters have always been a little weak in Saga. And after I pointed out to my GM that the crocodile, as statted out in this overlay's setting book, had to crit to even have a chance of knocking a PC of the appropriate level down the condition track (since it did something like 1d8+5 damage and was a CR 6 creature), he bumped all natural attacks up to meet the weapon damages so that random creatures weren't jokes. Eventually this came to apply to unarmed damage, too, which I was already kind of specializing in.

So now my Half-Orc (which is basically a Wookiee clone) has crazy unarmed combat abilities at the expense of a single feat (just MA1 so far). And I'm kind of looking for ways to augment that without getting completely insane and leaving the rest of the party, who have zero system mastery in Saga between them, feeling like dead weight. Of course, it's been my combat prowess keeping us alive so far, so it's a tight line I have to walk here between overshadowing the rest of the party and not quite being good enough that we all survive.

I definitely feel like stacking all the unarmed support on top of an already buffed damage for unarmed attacks is going to get out of hand fast. But I'm not necessarily against having a massive, always available attack sitting around to pull us out of the fire if it has to.

• Options
    holy FUCK

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2528

dream come true
    Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce that it has entered a comprehensive licensing partnership with Lucasfilm Ltd. for the worldwide rights to publish card, roleplaying, and miniatures games set in the popular Star Wars™ universe!

”Being able to publish gaming products in the Star Wars universe is quite simply a hobby-game company’s dream come true,” said Christian T Petersen, CEO of Fantasy Flight Games. “I’m confident that both Star Wars fans as well as FFG’s regular customers will be blown away by the game experiences we have planned for this legendary IP.”

“As a leader in hobby gaming, we’re excited to be partnering with Fantasy Flight Games,” said Howard Roffman, President of Lucas Licensing. “Fun and adventure are hallmarks of the Star Wars saga, and FFG perfectly captures this in their games.”

FFG’s first two Star Wars game lines will be the X-Wing miniatures game and Star Wars: The Card Game, both scheduled to launch in early 2012.

sQwJu.png
  • Options
    ehh

• Options
    Cue the lightsaber crit charts.

• Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    A friend of mine has been begging me to run ann Old Republic campaign for some time now and I have been reluctant to get into it. He fell in love with that period after playing Knights of the Old Republic and he is getting into the new Old Republic game as well. I'm concerned that that period has had so much done with it that there won't be much for me to do as a GM.

Do you guys think that period has had too much exposure to make a creative and enjoyable Saga game?

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Sakutian wrote:
    A friend of mine has been begging me to run ann Old Republic campaign for some time now and I have been reluctant to get into it. He fell in love with that period after playing Knights of the Old Republic and he is getting into the new Old Republic game as well. I'm concerned that that period has had so much done with it that there won't be much for me to do as a GM.

Do you guys think that period has had too much exposure to make a creative and enjoyable Saga game?

It happens like... what, four thousand years before the movies or something?

I suppose you could hop it ahead several hundred years and do your own thing while still being in the Old Republic style.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    Agreed, you can run a few decades before or after the events of the KotOR games and have plenty of freedom methinks. Or even better, make one of your PCs brainwashed-Revan (without immediately telling him), and take the continuity where ever you like ;)

<3
  • Options
    Haha, I thought of that actually. I love the fact that you have this major league bad guy walking around with no idea who he is for a period of time. Very interesting for a game.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
  • Options
    Apparently Star Wars is becoming a thing.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    OK, so I've just discovered a thing.

Its the Star Wars Timeline thingy Bioware's put up to provide backstory to The Old Republic MMO. It has some Jedi Master (voiced by Lance Henriksen!) giving reports to the Jedi Council regarding research into the history behind the Sith Empire and yadda yadda yadda. Check it out, its pretty great.

But out of the 20-something videos, only 12 of them seem to be viewable online. Why is that? Do actual owners of the game get access to all them? Are they just not posted yet from Bioware? I need my fix! I don't play this game, mainly because its an MMO, and now I feel left out of something awesome.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    So in my pbp game Dark Times one of the players decided to kidnap another player and take him to the homeworld of the Sith. Korriban. Now I hadn't had any plans to use Korriban in this campaign so I had to think of what it would be like in this era and work up a few locals. I decided that the Gossam of the Commerce Guild would be a nice addition here because according to records the guild did set up some offices on Korriban.

Now you may be wondering why the heck I told you all that? Well I worked up racial stats for the Gossam because I thought it'd be fun and interesting. I've decided to share them with you guys and see if you have any thoughts or suggestions. If anyone cares to give my ideas a look then thanks and I hope you like what I came up with.

Gossam
    In 27,000 BBY the Gossam had already developed a primitive hyperdrive which allowed them to explore space and coloinze planets as far away as Felucia.

Prior to the Clone Wars Gossam were regarded with mistrust from the Core Worlds to the Outer Rim. Despite the fact that they form a large portion of the Commerce Guild their desire to come out on top of every baragin left them with a poor reputation throughout the galacy. When the Seperatist Crisis split the Republic in half the Commerce Guild and the Gossam sided with the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Their commandos were employed in several sieges with devastating results to the Republic throughout the Outer Rim.

The Empire enslaved the Gossam preventing many from joining the Alliance to Restore the Republic following it's formation. Due to their alliance with CIS Emperor Palpatine wreaked destruction on the Gossam and their world.

Personality: Gossam tend to be selfish and highly intelligent always looking to take advantage of everyone around them.

Physical Description: 1.25 meters tall, pebbly blue and green skin, elongated necks, yellow eyes, and tapered heads which sloped back at an incline. They are extremly thin and stand on two three toed legs. They also have three figered hands.

Homeworld: Castell.

Languages: Gossam speake and write in their native language of the same name. Many also learn Galactic Basic before venturing out into space.

Example Names: Shu Mai, Cat Miin, Min Cho, Xiri Gan, Zim Li.

Adventurers: Gossam venture away from their homeworld to pursue their own fortunes and seek opportunities to build their reputation. Their cunning and charismatic nature makes them excellent traders, business owners, and often smugglers. A few choose to pursue careers as commandos who favor heavy armor and powerful weapons. There are very few force sensitive Gossam.

Gossam Species Traits

Ability Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength. Gossam are adept negotiators and traders but they lack physical prowess of many other races.

Small Size: As Small creatures, Gossam gain a +1 size bonus to their Reflex Defense and a +5 size bonus on Stealth checks. However their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium characters.

Speed: Gossam base speed is 4 squares.

Mercantile Nature: Gossam excel at dealing with others through bargains and trade. A Gossam may reroll any Persuasion check and use the better result.

Untrustworthy: Throughout the galaxy Gossam have a reputation for cheating their clients. A Gossam may reroll any Deception check and use the better result.

Conditional Bonus Feat: Gossam children are groomed by their parents for future careers in the Commerce Guild from the day they hatch. Any Gossam with Knowledge(Bueracracy) as a trained skill gains Skill Focus (Knowledge:((Bueracracy))) as a bonus feat.

Automatic Languages: Basic and Gossam.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    I'm not involved in any of them (except for Sak's short run game thats pretty much over anyway) but all of the Star Wars games here on the forums seem to have stalled and that makes me a sad panda.

Especially Clone Wars. You guys have put so much effort into making that game awesome over the years...don't let it die right at the end!

This is a gentle reminder from a lurker; please don't stop entertaining me.

• Options
    They're stalled, not cancelled. They'll come back in their own time. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    so, a selkath, a ryn and a fosh walk into the jedi temple...

no, its not a joke, its my latest RL campaign. i was wondering if anyone has any advice for finding minis for those races? ive searched, but there are no official minis of any of those races; so i was thinking to go out of game, but i dont know other minis that well.

for the fosh, any bird-like humanoid should do. otherwise, im at a bit of a loss for what to do. any suggestions?

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    I would use a Bothan for the Ryn, a Mon Calamari for the Selkath, and... I don't know about the Fosh.

Are there any bird-like creatures from D&D you could find a mini of? A Kenku maybe?