As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brave New World: The Adventure Game (Culpa Innata)

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
for those whose h-scroll i am about to rape, we salute you

So I opened up my Steam browser today to see some weirdo game called Culpa Innata is being sold for 10% off until January 25th. I have to click on anything that's 10% off. I was further intrigued when I realized that it was an adventure game, and judging by the screenshots, an ugly one at that. And they're charging 20 bucks (after Jan 25th of course)! So I decided to figure out what's so great about this thing that they can take a dead genre and ugly graphics and make me pay for it. The metacritic score was an ominous 67 but an examination of the metacritic page shows that its average is dragged way down by IGN, which gave it a 40. I'll generally discard outliers if those outliers are, say, IGN, and when you do that the average jumps up to a respectable [NUMBER HIGHER THAN 67] (I didn't do the math).

Whatever. I went and watched the trailer and then I read a couple reviews and it sounds pretty awesome. I tried the free Sam and Max episode on Steam, but it seemed like adventure-lite to me: blandly funny jokes and moderately nonsensical puzzles. On The Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 1 looks good but apparently it's more turn-based RPG combat than it is adventure game. So we're left with Culpa Innata.

Its story sounds pretty awesome (science fiction utopia/Brave New World sorta stuff). And your office looks neat:

930765_20071126_screen001.jpg
Image stolen from Gamestop. Yeah, I admit it. They deserve it.

And it's set in the future.

So I'm considering buying it, and by "considering" I mean "there is an 80% chance that I will postpone my purchase until 2 years from now when it's $10 cheaper." But I figured I'd tell everyone here about it in case someone wants to play an (apparently) pretty awesome adventure game and save $2.

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Brave New World-esque, eh? I'm interested as long as there are orgies, drugs and feelies.

Pb on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    Brave New World-esque, eh? I'm interested as long as there are orgies, drugs and feelies.

You're interested in that wherever you go.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From what I can tell there's a whole lot of sex and not so much drugs. Feelies I am unsure of. I know they have holo-whatsits but I dunno if you can feel them. Maybe you can pretend to feel them, with the aid of drugs.

TychoCelchuuu on