As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time Crisis 4 - PS3 = More Pew Pew!

Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I just today got Time Crisis 4 for PS3, complete with dayglo orange lightgun and sensor lights with those dodgy rubber band things with weights, im currently waiting for it to install to my PS3 HDD, however I was just wondering what other people thought of the game, also are any of the older Time Crisis games unlockable/downloadable for it, or does the gun work for any of the older Time Crisis games, because I'd love to play Time Crisis 1 again but since the advent of LCD TV screens, that has sadly become an impossible dream :( .

I've been staring at the arcade machine at my local arcade emporium for the best part of half a year, but at £2 per go (yes thats $4 per go), I decided i'd wait for the PS3 to get it's own, more awesome version of TC4, so anyone else on the forum own this game or interested in it?

sig.gif
Resident0 on

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If the gun doesn't work you can pick up an LCD lightgun that works with PS3/PS3 in backwards compatibility mode. I got mine from playasia.com, works with PS2/xbox and PC!

And yes, I'm very interested in TC4, I didn't realise the lightgun was HDTV friendly, could you post up how well it works? Do the sensor bars sit on the side of the TV? That's how the one I have works. Is there any recoil in the gun?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If the gun doesn't work you can pick up an LCD lightgun that works with PS3/PS3 in backwards compatibility mode. I got mine from playasia.com, works with PS2/xbox and PC!

And yes, I'm very interested in TC4, I didn't realise the lightgun was HDTV friendly, could you post up how well it works? Do the sensor bars sit on the side of the TV? That's how the one I have works. Is there any recoil in the gun?

Well from what i've played it works perfectly on HDTV's, it's an awesome game too, one level i had to blast the crap out of helicopters, APC vehicles and a guy driving a truck with a biological weapon down a motorway, and of course 'you know who' is back being a Time Crisis game and all! :P

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    How do you go about calibrating the gun? The one I have is a bit of a sod (Shoot at the corner of the LED array and then shoot all four corners of the screen THEN calibrate using the in-game tool).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was thinking about this and an extra gun because my wife loved TC4 at Dave and Busters.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't recall why but I think EGM was really harsh on it something like 4/10 score. Is it more like the arcade games or does it feel more like a Wii Zapper?

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Calibrating gun is easy as pie, the game however isn't! The levels are about 3 times longer than the ones in TC1 so taking hits is the order of the day!

This is not an afternoon achievement game that's for sure, getting good at the game does require some serious practise, i've only managed to make it to Stage 2 so far before getting my ass handed to me, and PSM3 magazine gave the game 43% because 'Lightgun games don't belong on PS3, and it feels stupid pointing a dayglo orange gun at a $3,000 HDTV, lightgun games are for children'.

So basically if you have enough money for a PS3 and a $3000 HDTV you shouldn't be playing this game and you should instead be following the mindset of (apparently) most PS3 owners of "Look how much money I have, enjoy playing your shitty Wii games lewzers!".

However I always thought games were about fun, not about how much money you had.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm an avid fan of light gun games and methinks I'll definitely be picking this up when it's out over here, and has dropped a little in price

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'm an avid fan of light gun games and methinks I'll definitely be picking this up when it's out over here, and has dropped a little in price

I live in the UK mate, I got mine imported, the USA version works fine and is practically same price as it's gonna be in the UK, give or take £5 - 10, best bet get it from Thatz Entertainment in Lakeside, they have a phone number, and mail order service for your delectable delights!

Oh another gem that PSM3 dropped about the game was "The game looks like a PS2 game, blocky, blurred characters jerk about unconvincingly as you shudder through corridors on rails".

The PS2 couldn't render one stage of this game, compare it to TC2 for example, let alone TC4 looking like a PS2 game I think it is better than Ghost Squad and runs at 60fps, also they make no mention of the multi-screen battles where you can use the Guncon stick to look around as you fend off up to 20 enemies at a time.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Basically the reviewer hates lightgun games and is really bitter that he was assigned to review it so he blasted it. It's probably going to be my next purchase just for small parties and the like.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have the LCD Topgun for PS2/XBox/PC. From what I've read, the new GunCon uses the same, dual sensor bar setup. I imagine setup for the new GunCon is easier, since the ingame calibration will include sensor bar calibration. Since the PS2/XBox light gun games weren't designed with that in mind, that's why you need 2 setups. One to calibrate the sensors, one to calibrate the gun/sensors with the game.

I know that with the LCD Topgun, once you complete the calibration, that shit is very accurate. While pointing with the Wii remote uses relative motion, the Topgun can be calibrated for nearly 1:1 aiming.

I may get TC4 if it goes down in price. I assume its all USB, right? Has anyone tried using the new GunCon with TC2-3? I would love to play TC2 with 2 guns, but I don't want to import another Topgun if the new GunCon will work.

Dirty on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From what I hear, the TC4 GunCon3 works like a Wii Remote by using an IR camera but knows the dimensions of your screen through calibration... something most Wii shooters don't do.

CZroe on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Time Crisis 4: No, Wild Dog's Still Not Dead.
    Can't VSSE just shoot the guy in the head already?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Time Crisis 4: No, Wild Dog's Still Not Dead.
    Can't VSSE just shoot the guy in the head already?

Aww, why you have to go spoil it for?

I like they fact they made him look older though, I hope his hip gives out or something when you are battling him!

There's loads of boxes that have '???' on them on the Arcade/Complete Mode/Minigame screens so i'm hoping at least one of those boxes will be Time Crisis 1/2 or Point Blank, here's hoping!

No-one tell me if they are though, I wanna discover them and be like 'WAY COOL!'

Resident0 on
    sig.gif