As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting the cheapest GPS possible - For Geocaching.

Lave IILave II Registered User regular
After reading this, I want to buy a GPS.

But I've no idea what I need, and the geocaching website isn't very helpful.

But most importantly I want to only spend about £50 to £70. Which I'm well aware may not be enough.

Anyone any experience, and can inform-me-up?

Anyone been Geocaching?

(Urgh, sparse OP.)

Lave II on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As long as you're handy with a map, that price range should work. You could easily get away with something like this, which even new falls right into your price range. If you're willing to go used, you may be able to find something more like this within your range, but that will take some luck (the linked item is above your range, but not by much). Personally I like being able to load maps into the unit, as it can save quite a bit of time...but keep in mind that even if you do this, you'll still want actual maps as well as a backup. Also maps to be loaded are generally sold separately, so you're looking at even more money.

Really, though, if all you're doing is geocaching and some light outdoor stuff any unit that can load waypoints (which is pretty much any unit) should be more than enough.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks guys. Though I don't like the sound of getting my iBook out in public, so a hands free unit is needed.

I think I'm going to keep my eyes out for a deal maybe.

Lave II on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For geocaching, you may want to go slightly better than the "cheapest GPS possible". For the cheapest GPS you get less accuracy (I think typically around 9 meters accuracy), which can make geocaching even more challenging (ie frustrating and difficult depending on your view). However that does not mean you have to spend lots of money to get a good GPS. If you spend a lot of money you'll get one with a 5 inch color screen that is basically google maps, and has good accuracy, but those are ridiculously expensive.

About 3 or 4 years ago I bought a http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-GPS/dp/B0000C4G4Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1201195512&sr=8-1 for around $175 (sorry, I don't know how much that is in pounds), but it is a decent GPS. While it doesn't have street level maps (which I don't use for geocaching), it does have an excellent accuracy of typically 2-3 meters.

For an inexpensve alternative to garmin, I have a few friends who use this Magellan http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-eXplorist-100-Handheld-GPS/dp/B00026ID5Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201195900&sr=8-1 (sorry, it wasnt available at amazon.co.uk) It's not as reliable in terms of accuracy as the garmin I use is, but it still gets them to the cache.

I'm not trying to be a salesman for specifically Garmin here, but Garmin is the only brand that geocaching.com lets you directly upload the coordinates from the website to the GPS, which is really nice. And can save a lot of time before going out.

I guess I should also throw in that the magic isnt in the wand, it's in the wizard. Someone who is really good at Geocaching could probably take the crappiest GPS (say, one that just shows teh coordinates and nothing else) and still find a cache faster than an inexperienced geocacher with the fanciest GPS out there.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I haven't really done the geocaching thing, mine is more for general outdoors or driving use, so I can't imagine why you'd even need more than about 10 meters of accuracy. But even the low-end Garmins I've used (like the basic eTrex I linked) still get within 5 meters, which I imagine should suffice for anybody.

But antenna quality can be an issue, especially in urban areas...some deal with cover better than others, and I've used a couple units where if you get into built-up areas they won't really track at all, and other units that are absolutely fine in that same area.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I haven't really done the geocaching thing, mine is more for general outdoors or driving use, so I can't imagine why you'd even need more than about 10 meters of accuracy. But even the low-end Garmins I've used (like the basic eTrex I linked) still get within 5 meters, which I imagine should suffice for anybody.

But antenna quality can be an issue, especially in urban areas...some deal with cover better than others, and I've used a couple units where if you get into built-up areas they won't really track at all, and other units that are absolutely fine in that same area.

You need the better accuracy since the coordinates/directions you're going off of are from someone else's handheld unit; which of course introduces it's own variance. If the cacher has done a half-decent job, though, you should be OK.

I have the Garmin eTrex Legend, rocking a B&W screen, but does alright with the improved accuracy of WAAS. Enter waypoints, has distance travled, elevation ,etc.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    -- I can't imagine why you'd even need more than about 10 meters of accuracy. --

Try finding a camouflaged pen (or pencil case, or small lunch box) sized object within a 30 foot radius in the middle of the woods. Around where I live, some of woods where geo caches are hidden have a visibility range of about 5 feet. Sometimes it can work in your favour if it is a popular cache though, as there will be a more visible trail.

stigweard on