As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heath Ledger dies at age 28

2»

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not going to lie, the first thing I thought of was the movie. Not because I'm a terrible person, but because thats the only context I have thought of him in in a long time, so it's reasonable to assume that would be what my mind jumps to. I don't think its bad that I wonder now how they will deal with this if they make a third movie, or if they will just let it go with Ledger. I'm sad he died and all, don't get me wrong, but I would feel sort of hypocritical mourning too much for someone I've essentially never met.

Like I said, I'm glad he at least finished it so he can go out on a high note. I can't obviously say for sure, but for an actor I'd assume thats the best possible way.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, you know, it was probably a great personal loss to you that Heath Ledger died, so it's evil to think about The Dark Knight. Obviously.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Well, you know, it was probably a great personal loss to you that Heath Ledger died, so it's evil to think about The Dark Knight. Obviously.

Oh, we've arrived at the "well you shouldn't feel bad because you don't know him" shit like in every "someone famous died" thread.

Look, it's fine to wonder about the movie, nobody is saying it's "evil" to do so. I'm saying it is bizarre that so many people would get worked up into a frenzy when a fictional character dies or whatever and the first thing people think to post when a real person dies is "oh shit but what about the batman movie"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008

Have any of your friends' relatives (that you haven't met) died? Do you say, "I'm sorry for your loss." or "Well now who am I going to compare grandparents stories with?"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm saying it is bizarre that so many people would get worked up into a frenzy when a fictional character dies or whatever and the first thing people think to post when a real person dies is "oh shit but what about the batman movie"

To be fair, the reader has often seen a fictional character on a monthly (or more often) basis, in the character's most intimate moments, through thick and thin, and so on. They are very invested in this character. There can be a very real attachment there - not an attachment as to A Real Human Being but an attachment as to A Thing That Is A Part of One's Life and Is Intimately Familiar. Like a favorite toy, you know? When an actor, or an author, or any other famous person dies? More often than not they are no one to you. Yeah, it's always sad and sombering when you learn of a person's death, even if you didn't know them, but that level of familiarity just isn't there. Obviously, some famous people are more open and vocal about their lives than others, and it's easy to feel close to a person whose blog you read, but I think this is an exception rather than the rule.

Not to mention that when a comic book character dies, there's an even chance that it was because of a bone-headed move by the author/editorial (or, at least, the reader sees it as such), and the reader feels outrage that his favorite toy has been broken or taken away. In fact, I suspect that there's a pretty different set of emotions in play when your favorite character dies from when your favorite actor dies.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Have any of your friends' relatives (that you haven't met) died? Do you say, "I'm sorry for your loss." or "Well now who am I going to compare grandparents stories with?"

Okay

So

My dad has died, people I've been very close to have had cancer, and so forth. And yes, I've had friends with relatives/friends that have died.

This is so completely different in the most obvious of ways, though. Like, yes, it is sad that Heath Ledger died, but I wouldn't imagine that anyone on this forum was personally connected with him, and this is a thread in a comic book subforum, where Dark Knight discussion is going to naturally take some sort of precedence over "abloo abloo" type nonsense.

Would it have sat better with you if we had waited for a week or so before talking about the movie or what? I think it's a bit self-righteous to sit here and suggest that it's somehow immoral to discuss this stuff about a celebrity death.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    AAAAAARGGGHHHHAAAAAARGGGHHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Honestly, I'd go for the second option. "I'm sorry for your loss" is such a blanket, empty response; something you would expect from random strangers. The second response at last references a positive, shared experience you had with the deceased and may even get a small chuckle from the grieving friend.

AAAAAARGGGHHHH on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008

Okay

So

My dad has died, people I've been very close to have had cancer, and so forth. And yes, I've had friends with relatives/friends that have died.

This is so completely different in the most obvious of ways, though. Like, yes, it is sad that Heath Ledger died, but I wouldn't imagine that anyone on this forum was personally connected with him,

So because no one here personally knew him, it's completely all right to ignore him as a human being and focus on a single aspect of his life?
    Would it have sat better with you if we had waited for a week or so before talking about the movie or what? I think it's a bit self-righteous to sit here and suggest that it's somehow immoral to discuss this stuff about a celebrity death.

No one's saying it's wrong to talk about the movie or his part. The post(s) in question were by Briareos, who said, "well who's going to play joker now that he's dead" and then "oh yeah it's sad i guess"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Honestly, I'd go for the second option. "I'm sorry for your loss" is such a blanket, empty response; something you would expect from random strangers. The second response at last references a positive, shared experience you had with the deceased and may even get a small chuckle from the grieving friend.

You're an idiot.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AAAAAARGGGHHHHAAAAAARGGGHHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You're an idiot.

Right back atch'ya, fatty.

AAAAAARGGGHHHH on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You're an idiot.

Right back atch'ya, fatty.

oh dang, my self image is shattered

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fatty?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »
    Fatty?

whatkindoffaceisthatoe3bx3.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I remember when Heath Ledger would tell me stories about when he was a kid, all the fun stuff he did that seemed so boring to me now. Smiling at the thought of Heath Ledger, who was baffled by the radio, going
    on the Internet, and how he'd...

Oh.
    Wait.
    That's completely fucking different.
    Because, while tragic, I didn't know him personally. So comparing how I react to this to a PERSONAL tragedy is bullshit.

I don't care if you think we're being dicks about it. Saying "WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOUR GRANDPA DIED!" isn't the fucking same.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hahaha yes Keith, would you like to try out for the IWFL with me?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I remember when Heath Ledger would tell me stories about when he was a kid, all the fun stuff he did that seemed so boring to me now. Smiling at the thought of Heath Ledger, who was baffled by the radio, going
    on the Internet, and how he'd...

Oh.
    Wait.
    That's completely fucking different.
    Because, while tragic, I didn't know him personally. So comparing how I react to this to a PERSONAL tragedy is bullshit.

I don't care if you think we're being dicks about it. Saying "WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOUR GRANDPA DIED!" isn't the fucking same.

Look at that.

My friend's girlfriend's grandfather died last year and I didn't say, "Oh, well, it happens." Because you don't have to be an asshole for no reason.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

dang they'd beat the snot out of me

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Okay

So

This is so completely different in the most obvious of ways, though. Like, yes, it is sad that Heath Ledger died, but I wouldn't imagine that anyone on this forum was personally connected with him,

So because no one here personally knew him, it's completely all right to ignore him as a human being and focus on a single aspect of his life?

No one's saying it's wrong to talk about the movie or his part. The post(s) in question were by Briareos, who said, "well who's going to play joker now that he's dead" and then "oh yeah it's sad i guess"

Yeah, I mean, I'm really not trying to be like "DON'T FEEL BAD FOR HIM NAGHEIGHRNF." You've always done right by me Keith, and I see what you're saying.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I don't know

you look pretty tough in that picture

and that was only what? 5 years ago?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I don't know

you look pretty tough in that picture

and that was only what? 5 years ago?

last week

Garlic Bread on