As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PoTBS] Ok, its out now, skip the tech info, is it good?

• Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pirates can take and hold towns, but they do not have access to the Freetrader class (best economy) or Naval Officer (best ships). So pirates are at a disadvantage when they have to wait for nationals to make or earn ships and then steal them.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pirates can take and hold towns, but they do not have access to the Freetrader class (best economy) or Naval Officer (best ships). So pirates are at a disadvantage when they have to wait for nationals to make or earn ships and then steal them.

Yeah I went to the official boards and read a post that made me decide to stay away for now. Basically it was summed up as that PvP for pirates essentially involves no risk as if they lose their ship they just need to go steal a new one, whereas the nation players have much more invested since they actually have to pay for their ships.

People are basically saying it's a huge disincentive for nation players to really commit to any dangerous PvP battles because they have much more to lose than a pirate will and it's likely to cause a lot of nation players to simply avoid PvP.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I up and bought this. I'll post impressions in a day or two.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pirates = Casual Play, no risks, no rewards (No Risks = Steal another ship, No rewards = No cash, and can't hold a national port for longer than 3 days), but at the same time they have the best skill posibilties than any national.

Nationals = Serious, longterm gaming.

The cool thing about the pirates though, is that they act as a wildcard. They can make or break a national's intentions. Feed the pirates some high quality ships and outfittings and you can have them causing mayhem at a secondary target while you put your focus on your primary target.

My only concern about this game, is that it is possible for a certain side to get stacked against the others. Some servers have a lot of British, some a lot of spanish, and some a lot of pirates (unforunately I haven't seen a French heavy server).

The longterm playability of this game is how they will balance the winning state. So if the spanish win the "game", how will it both reward the winners and give the losers an advantage for the next round.

All together though, it is going to be a very interesting game.

johnnyonoes on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BTW: The British free trader Jimmy James is now sailing on server Rackham.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    To Fighttest,

A fully decked out National Economy can easily supply their people with high quality ships and outfittings. Player built ships also have a high number of durability, so if you get sunk, you can get right back into the battle.

On the other hand for the pirates, they barely make any money, so it is will be hard to purchase outfittings (buffs), and a captured ship always has 1 durability point, so if you get sunk, you are going to need to scramble for another ship.

The post you read was probably from someone that had no idea what they are doing.

johnnyonoes on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I sort of like that they've institutionalized the pirates into their own sort of faction, rather than just letting pirates be on equal footing with established nations (like in EVE, sort of.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I actually didn't like it. It was enjoyable at first, until I realized that most of the time you're just going to grind ships. It's the best way to level up and get new ships. You just go around the sea looking for enemy ships that are a good level to kill or capture. It got old very fast. The on foot sections weren't very interesting as combat was dull. You just keep pressing your 1 key to attack and do that until the enemy is dead.

If you really want a pirate game, I'd wait for City of Abandoned Ships coming out Q1 of this year. It's not an MMO, but it's the best pirate game you'll probably get. It's the fourth game in a series known as Corsair in Russia.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    RiemannLives: You might want to make a British on Bonny or one of the other servers which players are playing British. If you have friends playing British on the server that's fine, but this will exclude you from being able to play with many of us, as you can only play one nationality per server. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you on the open sea.

FightTest: Two points, the capture ability is on a two hour cooldown, granted this is shorter than the week or two it can take to build a SOL. Second, once all the Naval Officers have 4 SOLs, I don't think they will be as timid about sailing around in one.

But yeah, pirates are more for the fun of it.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    pirates have no risks? is it not true that every pirate ship has only 1 durability point, so if you get sunk, you lose it forever? seems like a much bigger risk than nationals, whose ships can be sunk several times before they lose it.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    people aren't used to sailing in big warships. they're slower and harder to control than the scout ship you start in, but they can RUIN people if they are used right.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd be interested in a friend code.

it sounds like factions are pretty strongly enforced? Like, no teaming with other nations or attacking ships of your own?

Scooter on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a friend code.

it sounds like factions are pretty strongly enforced? Like, no teaming with other nations or attacking ships of your own?

Yeah, you can't pvp your own nation.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anyways, I'm Paul Adams, a pirate on Rackham.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damnit Tyrannus do you have a friend code?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So thanks to Dave I got a trial and made a Pirate on Rackham named Ruckus Herzog. If any of you want to team up and do stuff let me know. I still haven't come up with a full verdict on the game, but I've had some fun the little I've played.

Drool on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    kaliyama wrote: »
    i'd trade naked pics for a friend code...

But you're probably a dude, any nobody wants that.

Pb on
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I just broke down and bought the damn thing. PM me for a friend code, first come, first serve.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There were a lot of comparisons with Eve while POTBS was being developed. Is it very sandbox? From what people are saying, it seems like it would be best to wait a while before buying the game.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gahazakul, post your name here if you role a Pirate on Rackham.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DiscoZombie, no risks as in, they can just steal another ship... No money involved.

hazywater, The way I describe this to my friends that enjoyed EVE is that it is EVE lite. Kinda of the same game play ideas, but more carebear.

johnnyonoes on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    EvE lite is not a bad endorsement, though.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Correction: Jimmy James, the man so nice they named him twice, is brit'ing things up on Bonny not Rackham.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I love how in WoW people always complain about the goofy clown suits you end up with as you level. Yet in PotBS you can look however you want and so many people choose to look like clowns.

Also there are way to many Jack Sparrows.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Correction: Jimmy James, the man so nice they named him twice, is brit'ing things up on Bonny not Rackham.

I have a Naval Officer named Tidwell Lorrick on that server. Feel free to friend him.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ooo, Cpt TJ Spencer is out beating up the British and scurvy pirate forces as a Spanish devastator on the Bonny server.

Thats my real name btw, thought it would be fun, since theres a first and last name. Oh, and I picked Spanish to go against the huge numbers of Brits and Pirates, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was a French bastard.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I just found out about the 10 lot limit per account per server.

I think my interest in subscribing after the initial 30 days just died.

For anyone who is a bit further along, is this limit as completely fucking stupid as it first appears? 10 lots? When advanced buildings can take up 3 lots each? What the fuck. Just what the fuck.

I would think that the exponential increase in warehouse price would be enough to limit over-expansion.

Really, I am tempted to just uninstall this game now before I spend any more time on it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It sounds like it's there to force trading, so that one person cannot be completely self-sufficient. I don't know how the whole lot thing works, but in real-world economic terms, generally specializing in one or few things and trading is much more profitable than building many things.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    It sounds like it's there to force trading, so that one person cannot be completely self-sufficient. I don't know how the whole lot thing works, but in real-world economic terms, generally specializing in one or few things and trading is much more profitable than building many things.

Yeah, that's the theory. There needs to be a limit to encourage trading. Works pretty well in LOTRO for example. However, 10 lots seems just insane. I have a level 9 char who I have played all of a couple hours and and I have 10 producing lots. You could get your limit in 2-3 hours if you knew what you're doing and don't read the quest descriptions.

Does anyone who has played past level 20-30 or so have any comments?

Edit: And after playing 2-3 hours not only would your char have his max but no other alt on that server could build any at all. It would be like if in WoW you could pick 2 professions PER ACCOUNT instead of per character.

Further edit: And this is really important to the game as the interesting economy is really all it has going for it. The on-foot bits are very simple. Even more so than WoW or LOTRO. The ship combat is interesting but no more so than many single player games that have been available for years (eg: Port Royale 2 which you can get for 4 bucks in a bargain bin).

In fact Port Royale 2 also has a similar production system, except it has more depth and no stupid fucking artificial limits.

I really think I wasted 50 bucks here

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I'm glad I got a trial to try it before I purchased. I'm only level 10, and I'm enjoying the game, but I can already tell the missions are getting pretty repetitive. Stealing my first ship was fun, as is the ship combat in general.

As someone who usually likes to fight and explore in MMOs I'm not that interested in the economy so the missions/pvp is going to have to grab me. Hopefully I can try the pvp before the end of my trial. There really isn't much reason to explore though. It's just more water and the same ports either hostile or friendly.

While there was that early multi-part quest most of the other ones seem to be less involved. I'm not ready to buy this for $50 yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it to see what they add. It might be worth it after it's in the cooker for a few months.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I've never fond an MMO where missions weren't repetitive.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    True, maybe it's the repetitive missions coupled with the fairly slow paced combat, and the simplicity of the sword fighting, and the fact that there really isn't anything that new and interesting to see once you've visited a few ports.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It really lives from the Economy and PvP in the late game. As has been stated before the quests are there to lvl you to get into the PvP, which is the meat and potatoes of this game. And I love the ship combat, finally something to take Sid Meir's Pirates place in my gaming schedule.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The sword play is very lacking, but I really enjoy the ship combat. I nailed some level 37 trader ship (NPC) in my level 16 heavy ketch that wasn't fitted, and that was certainly a thrill. I want to give PvP out, but missions really do suck. They're really just for money. I'd rather just kill ships.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Yeah, that's the theory. There needs to be a limit to encourage trading. Works pretty well in LOTRO for example. However, 10 lots seems just insane. I have a level 9 char who I have played all of a couple hours and and I have 10 producing lots. You could get your limit in 2-3 hours if you knew what you're doing and don't read the quest descriptions.

Does anyone who has played past level 20-30 or so have any comments?

Edit: And after playing 2-3 hours not only would your char have his max but no other alt on that server could build any at all. It would be like if in WoW you could pick 2 professions PER ACCOUNT instead of per character.

Further edit: And this is really important to the game as the interesting economy is really all it has going for it. The on-foot bits are very simple. Even more so than WoW or LOTRO. The ship combat is interesting but no more so than many single player games that have been available for years (eg: Port Royale 2 which you can get for 4 bucks in a bargain bin).

In fact Port Royale 2 also has a similar production system, except it has more depth and no stupid fucking artificial limits.

I really think I wasted 50 bucks here

BTW that entire thing is just silly. The economy is focused in a much broader way than say WoW or LotRO.

In the "It would be like WoW only allowing 2 profs per server" thing. Thats just laughable. This games crafting is labor based on instant time make. In WoW if you want your BS to have a few stacks of leather from your skinner alt, you have to go farm it on that character. In this game it happens instantly, so if you were allowed to have 10 slots on any char on a server there would be no need for an AH or an economy.

The ship combat is very fun and well paced, and makes for exciting moments. 2 lvl 8s taking on a lvl 22 is some exciting stuff! The ground combat is slow, but thoughtful, hopefully they will speed it up in later patches.

I have alot of hope for it. Gonna help me pass the time till Warhammer. At this point I'm burned on WoW and its just not doing it for me, and since I am a huge Sid Meir Pirates fan, this hits the spot.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    just how tactical is the ship combat? I'm a big fan of Pirates! ship combat.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ship combat is very tactical with lots of different types of ammo for the cannons (anti sail, person etc), different ship types that behave very differently. A lot of different options to outfit you ship.

The sword combat is only easy at the beginning, around lvl 20 to 25 it gets more complex with different attacks and managing your balance and initiative. It's also still being worked on by the devs.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm making my point in bold

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I made myself a Brit Freetrader on Bonny, to explore the Nation side of things. Pirates are all well and good, but I'm kind of interested in the Economy and the Pirates are somewhat lacking there.

As for the limit on lots. After 2-3 hours you hit your limit? Where you getting all that cash? It's like 1k per lot basically, or 200 then 3200 then 16200 for Warehouses.

And that's not taking into account building the Draughtman's House and then actually making the deeds themselves.
    Unless you're finding dirt cheap Structure deeds on the AH.

I don't know what I'd do with more than 10 lots, at least not yet. I don't have that kind of cash :p .

My only complaint is that the Brits don't have easy access to Wine. Only French and Pirate Ports do. So you have to get Wine from the Eurotrader, which requires another investment obviously.
    And the British Fir Forests are either wayyy up north or wayyy out West. And at least on Bonny the current Port of Spain contention makes travel West a bit more difficult.

The AH is a crucial part of the Economy and the game. The Freetrader even has class-specific advantages. So yeah, the game is doing all it can to force trades. It's like half the game.

There are one-man production lines you can do, for very specific goods in specific ports. There's even website that breaks those down (www.merchantsoftheburningsea.com).

Selner on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I tried out the Freetrader, and the fact that the missions were identical for the British (and freetraders have blah combat skills) put me off. The lag is identical on the EU-EN server, so I'll probably go back to my pirate.

Arasaki on