As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] WWI - Pointy Hat Guys Win!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    wolf.jpg

I could be in charge of the werewolf division...

Not until WWII.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Already, with the clarifications:

1. Movement through barbed wire takes one turn. I presume that only means that any movement into a barbed wire square ends movement for that turn, but for the "Aimed Shot" action, the attack is not interrupted?

2. Players using the March action to move through a minefield square will suffer 100 casualties, or 200 casualties? 150 casualties?

3. Does the additional 10% casualties penalty for Hill 382 applies to movement into, between or from the four hill squares (which subset)? Are units on adjacent squares of the hill considered on opposite sides (and thus cannot target each other? Does the hill terrain block any other attacks from the opposite side of the hill (for instance, does being in F5 block (hypothetical) snipers shooting from the Bombed Church squares?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Whod wrote: »
    I want to be a Mountie sooo badly!

Me, Skid and Varcayn have already claimed the Canadians. You can root us on and make sure there are cookies baked for us when we come home victorious.
    <3
    Please don't kill me

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Already, with the clarifications:

1. Movement through barbed wire takes one turn. I presume that only means that any movement into a barbed wire square ends movement for that turn, but for the "Aimed Shot" action, the attack is not interrupted?

2. Players using the March action to move through a minefield square will suffer 100 casualties, or 200 casualties? 150 casualties?

3. Does the additional 10% casualties penalty for Hill 382 applies to movement into, between or from the four hill squares (which subset)? Are units on adjacent squares of the hill considered on opposite sides (and thus cannot target each other? Does the hill terrain block any other attacks from the opposite side of the hill (for instance, does being in F5 block (hypothetical) snipers shooting from the Bombed Church squares?
    1. Yes, attacks are not affected by barbed wire, only movement

2. 100 casualties, only sprinting incurs additional deaths.

3. Moving onto a hill square does not add the 10% casualty, but crossing it would. For example: if you move from F3 to F4, nothing happens, but if you move from F4 to G4 you have exposed your troops and take the additional 10%.
    Units may not attack units on adjacent hill blocks, as they cannot see them.
    Attacks may not be made across hill squares. A hypothetical sharpshooter with the range to hit F5 from I5 would not be able to shoot through the G5 segment of the hill.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess I'll sign up, but that map is complicated!

Savant on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    this whole game is going to hurt my head.

lonelyahava on
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm just gonna go 'over the top'

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll hang out and pretend to know what's going on.

However, I will then be quickly killed for being "unusually quiet".

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gimme gimme gimme.

cheez on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think I'm with Spectre on this one. I will pretend to have a clue!

cause that's never backfired on me before.

lonelyahava on
  • WhodWhod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Me, Skid and Varcayn have already claimed the Canadians. You can root us on and make sure there are cookies baked for us when we come home victorious.
    <3
    Please don't kill me

Ohh you goin' down son!

Whod on
    Co-lead, Hello Kitty Pretty Princess Guild
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is shaping up to be more complicated than I anticipated, and I hate half-assing games. I don't think I will have the time to devote to this that I'd like, and I'd hate to let down the other 2 people in my regiment, so I'm retracting.

Ultarune on
  • WhodWhod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PEOPLE OF THE WORLD!!

I would make the best Canadian!

whodeh.JPG

Join my regiment and i'll supply the plastic knives and forks!

Whod on
    Co-lead, Hello Kitty Pretty Princess Guild
    edited January 2008
    First game to be so complex that it scared players away?
    I'll make this one case for the game, on the off chance I can lure Ultarune back, or get more people to play.

There does appear to be a lot going on, that's true. I've had a lot of free time to think up crazy mechanics, and I wanted something different from other games. For the most part though, you can play this game like Phalla Royale with more clear cut loyalties and be fine. If you play this game the same way you played that, you will be fine. I promise that as far as the numbers go, Ardor, Robothero and I will be carrying most of the burden, and I will make sure that you know what is going on. It looks rough on the outset, but I promise that half my time will be devoted to making this simple and enjoyable for all of you.

I want this to be fun for everyone involved, and tomorrow I will look over everything and drop what I can to ease the complexity.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

<3
    Please don't kill me

Timbits.

Timbits must be prepared for our triumphant return.

Varcayn on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Question
    Once a regiment has passed through a minefield, will all mines explode, thus making the area save to pass through for others?

This how the Iranians dealt with the Iraqis, I've been told. The Iraqis would pull all sorts of dirty tricks like mines and poison and what have you, but Iran would just send a few hundred conscripts chained to each other through a supposed minefield. Most of the conscripts would blow up, but their corpses would be dragged along, detonating more mines as the survivors went on.

Aldo on
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't want you to think that your game is to complex, it seems really interesting and indepth. I just work nights, 7:30 to 7:30, so I don't have a ton of time to devote to phallas. If I had a different schedule I'd be excited to play the game. Don't dumb it down on my or anyone elses account.

Ultarune on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

<3
    Please don't kill me

One more Canadian, signed up, sir.

Which way is Ypres?

Oats on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some of the comments in here represent something we saw during the first phalla royale and it has merit.

Once you play the game, you'll realize that on an individual basis, each person just decides what they want to do based upon what they see around them each night. From that point on, it's less confusing than what you see up front.

You really just figure out where you want to move and who you want to attack. There are details in there to allow you to dig much deeper if you want, but in the end, it's really down to the "who do I want to attack tonight that I see?"

Hope that helps a bit.

Ardor on
    edited January 2008
    Ardor wrote: »
    Some of the comments in here represent something we saw during the first phalla royale and it has merit.

Once you play the game, you'll realize that on an individual basis, each person just decides what they want to do based upon what they see around them each night. From that point on, it's less confusing than what you see up front.

You really just figure out where you want to move and who you want to attack. There are details in there to allow you to dig much deeper if you want, but in the end, it's really down to the "who do I want to attack tonight that I see?"

Hope that helps a bit.
    Alternatively: just shoot everyone and worry about the effects later. ;)

Aldo on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So are the win conditions (at their core) simply that each regimen is out for itself, or is the goal to take out the infiltrators?

If it's the former, then yeah, I can see wanting to kill anyone but your own regimen, but if it's the latter, why would we be shooting each other without knowing our opponents affiliation?

In other words: Are regimens going to be allied towards a common goal? What happens when/if all the infiltrators are killed? Are they more akin to Lone Wolves (from PR) or Mafia?

Edited for orange

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes, please!

PsychoCucumber on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh hey I !sign up

Seriously on
  • KoanKoan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I sign UP!

Koan on
    edited January 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

Hope that helps a bit.
    Alternatively: just shoot everyone and worry about the effects later. ;)

Absolutely. This is war right?

Go make a name for yourself!

As a generic soldier in the EDF 2017 game would say, usually before he gets himself killed:

"Remember your training! Keep firing!"

Ardor on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All I will have to say is:

THE GOD-EMPEROR WILL LEAD HIS CHOSEN TO VICTORY. WHOEVER IS IN MY REGIMENT, IS UNDER MY COMMAND, SUPERSEDING ALL COMMANDS FRoM THE COMMAND BUNKER AS THERE IS NO GREATER RANK IN COMMAND THEN GOD-EMPEROR.

precisionk on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the explanation so far is a bit weird.

I understand the Phalla aspects- the good guys have to root out the infiltrators- great.

Is there going to be an objective to capture the German command bunker for allied troops?

Are there going to be German units on the map that are shooting machine guns at us etc?

I don't really get the phalla yet, but I guess we have until Monday to have all the details conveyed to us, so I'm not going to panic just yet.

El Skid on
    edited January 2008
    Robothero and I are helping to run this one from the background, we can help people via PM as well the first day or so to make things go more fluidly if you'd like.

I mean, in reality, you should all just choose a person to grudge and destroy them. Since everyone can make attack actions, this is your big chance!

If I was playing in the game, I'd recommend everyone test their weapons in my direction. After all, how funny would it be to see 30-50 some players all converge on a single unit?

I bet you could see the decimation from orbit.

Plus, there'd be nothing left to have to clean up and you could be very sure your weapons work properly!

Ardor on
    edited January 2008
    1. You would shoot other players because they are conceivably traitorous swine who killed their mothers for the fun of it. Also because everyone has a secondary win condition. Sure all the allies when the Germans are dead, but maybe the Russians want to kill off the French too or something like that.

2. Capturing the enemy bunker is one of the things you would want to do to win yes. Killing all of the enemy or enough of them to make them sure to lose would be another.

Things I am doing right now!:
    Looking at the rules to see where I can take out some of the complication

Working on a ruleset for a more traditional phalla. This would eliminate the troop numbers and the map. As an added benefit, I would not need co-hosts, so you guys could kill Ardor, Robothero and CJ Iwakura all you want!

I like my ruleset, but I like running a fun game more. So. Vote in yellow whether you would like to keep the current system, or play a regular style phalla I'll count the votes saturday night.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like new things

Seriously.

They are fun

And new.

Gumpy on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I see no reason to adhere to the cowardly desires of the meager French-Canadian contingency.

Frosteey on
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    !SHINY NEW THINGS PLEASE!

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If I was playing in the game, I'd recommend everyone test their weapons in my direction. After all, how funny would it be to see 30-50 some players all converge on a single unit?

Didn't transformers satisfy your need to be obliterated?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    I like new things

This.

Burnage on
    edited January 2008
    Stick to you what you made

Aldo on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    I like new things
    Third'd. This is like Battle Royale, but with sides. Neat!

The king of Gedo High shall have your head.

Frosteey on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Have you seen my pants?

M.D. on
    edited January 2008

Didn't transformers satisfy your need to be obliterated?

That's red votes. I've eaten bandwagons before.

You could literally atomize me in a game like this.

Ardor's unit has taken 20,000 damage. That space is no longer habitable and has become a Superfund site for the next 20 years.

Ardor on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Stay with the map, because I said so.

precisionk on