Options

[FFXI] For New Players

FreebytesFreebytes Registered User new member
edited January 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Hello, I am Freebytes from Remora of the Latent Effect linkshell.

In another thread I saw a story about a person named Smashism that had difficulty with FFXI so I thought I would provide some input to assist others just starting in this game.

First of all, do not use /anon which is the anonymous command at all. Make sure your anonymous feature is turned off. If is on, you will never find a party if you are searching.

Next, you should most certainly always solo any job you select until you reach level 10. Do not form any party whatsoever before level 10 unless you are doing so to accomplish a mission instead of trying to progress in your leveling. However, by the time you get to a higher level, your missions will be much easier.

Your first goal is to get a single job to level 10. To do this, start in any of the home nations. If you happen to know someone else in game ask them if they can get you a few stacks of an item known as Selbina Milk. Using this gives you a regen effect. So, you are constantly getting a tick of hit points at all times as long as you keep chugging them. Because it reduces your down time, you will get more experience per hour.

Do not forget your Empress Band and signet. If you have signet, you get crystals from creatures that you can sell on the auction house. You can use this gil you obtain for better gear. Once you have killed enough creatures, you will have points for an Empress Band. It costs 700CP. Once you get this, leveling becomes much easier because you get a 50% bonus while it is active.

Never drop your Beastmen's Seals. They are used to enter BCNM (Burning Circle Notorious Monster) fights which help you earn gil when you reach higher levels. Save them now.

You can simply NPC any cheap drops such as rabbit hides, bat wings, etc. you obtain. However, in certain cities, you can trade these items for gil and complete quests to achieve fame. Increasing your fame opens more quests that can give you more gil and also lowers the prices from some NPCs.

Do not NPC your crystals. Save them until you have a stack of 12 and then put them on the AH (Auction House).

It is okay to form your own party. When you reach level 10 or 11, you can enter an area called Valkurm Dunes. Expect to die repeatedly. You will no longer have any use your Selbina Milk after entering the dunes. Use the command "/sea all 10-11" to find other players in your level range.

If you are in a linkshell with higher level players, you can often ask someone that is level 40 or higher that can cure to power level you. A PL cures your entire party so you can continue fighting without ever needing to rest.

Remember that experience per hour is more important than experience per kill. If you kill small creatures for 20 experience but kill them in one hit, it is better than spending 10 minutes to kill one creature that only gives you 150 experience.

If you are Warrior or Thief, ask someone to give you a bow and some cheap arrows or purchase them from an NPC. Ranged attacks are much more powerful than regular attacks at lower levels for these two jobs.

Remember to /check creatures before fighting them. If they are "Too weak to be worthwhile", you will get no experience from killing them. If they are "Even Match", there is a 50% chance they are going to kill you if you try to solo them. If you are in a party, do not bother fighting creatures that do not check at least "Very Tough".

Having a sub job is like having sex. It is too soon to have it before 18, but if you are past 21 and do not have it, everyone will laugh at you. Get your subjob quest completed around level 20 after you visit Jeuno for the first time. When you get to Jeuno, you can use the shout command "/sh" to yell for assistance with getting your subjob quest complete, and I am certain people will help you.

Find at least one high level person that can help you. Remember that person and be sure to pay them back in kindness and assistance when you finally reach the elusive level 75. Even level 75 players need help because not everything in the game can be soloed.

Freebytes on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for trying to help, but you should probably repost this in the FFXI thread that's already up. No reason to have more threads than necessary.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actually the title of the current FFXI thread is a bit misleading, seeing as it specifically mentions WoTG.

I think this thread is just fine right here.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    However the OP in this assumes basic knowledge of the systems in FFXI, and leaves out critical information. If I were a new FFXI player, I would have no idea what this guy is talking about.

On a scale of 10, I give this a 2.5 for usefulness.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know why mentioning the new expansion is in any way misleading.

Though, like bri pointed out, the "guide" isn't terribly useful, and there is a wealth of posts, from players current and old, in the normal thread, that provides much more in-depth and useful information than this.

In addition, there just isn't enough interest in FFXI from the perspective of potential new subscribers to warrant a thread dedicated to it.

WoW has so many threads because the ratio of people playing WoW is exponentially higher than that of FFXI players, particularly on this forum. The "smaller" games don't need more than one thread; if someone needs information it's easier to consolidate it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You left the most important thing out.

If you ever see the word "BOGY" show up in the chat pane, check your map for the nearest zone exit and haul ass in that direction.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    NismoGrendelNismoGrendel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish I had read a thread like this back when I tried out FFXI. I got an elf monk to around 17 or so and gave up. The dunes were such a drag. Might wanna add some info about classes to your post, which ones are in demand vs those that have a hard time finding a party :)

NismoGrendel on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish I had read a thread like this back when I tried out FFXI. I got an elf monk to around 17 or so and gave up. The dunes were such a drag. Might wanna add some info about classes to your post, which ones are in demand vs those that have a hard time finding a party :)

No no no, what you want to do is read the other FFXI thread, we've had about four separate discussions about just that.

Seriously, we've been over everything in the other thread, it's not just a Wings of the Goddess discussion.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We should fill the post pointing new characters in the right direction instead of a list of general tips.

New to FFXI myself, and I have a better grasp over the game over the last few weeks. I think that I am a good example of what noobs have to overcome with the game.

What is FFXI Like?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ov3-K2aRwQY
    Good video of what endgame can be like. I havnt played endgame, I just thought this video was one of the better ones of all the ones I looked at.
    WoW is training wheels for FFXI, if you want something with more challenge head this way.

Hows the Community?
    The community is quite amazing in the game. Every PC in the game puts alot of time and character into their avatars. Nobody is straight out role playing, but people tend to be in character, or talk through their characters. Its pretty atmospheric at times.

Is there even a story?
    Every MMO needs to take a page out of FFXI's book as far as story goes. You will actually be drawn to the NPC's in the game and start caring about the story. I cant wait to see where it develops from where I am.

OK! Where do I start?
    Start here! This guide has all the basics for every platform, this gives you a general idea on which to utilize the somewhat confusing interface. Which is especially daunting as a new player. Watch ALL OF IT! After watching it, THEN start playing, not the other way around. Trust me, movement is even confusing.
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11newplayer/index.html?lang=en

I have no money! What should I do now? Etiquette? I keep dying!

Limit Break radio Recently did a Noob Introduction to Vana Diel. Can't say I am a huge fan of the radio hosts, but the podcast does contain some nifty information. After a few levels and getting a hang of the interface and controls, check this out.
    http://www.limitbreakradio.com/listen.html

What other links should I have?

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    All the info on skills/spells/items/quests and everything in between.

http://www.ffxi-atlas.com/
    This will help you get around easier. Maps have more info here.

http://www.ffxiah.com/
    Sell EVERYTHING, this site will tell you if it has worth or not.

Sweet, those links make me hot, got any tools?
    DO I EVER.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3444
    If you have firefox this thing kicks ass. Adds a FFXI ah search box, and cleverly organized links at the top of the browser. Also a clock, with timers for the ferry, airships and other things. Think google or yahoo toolbar except useful for something.

http://ffxime.faservers.net/index.php?m=01&y=08&entry=entry080111-195417
    Lets face it, in FFXI macros are gonna be a way of life. Want to edit that crap offline in an easier to use GUI? Here you go buddy!

God this game looks like crap, how do you guys get it looking so nice in your screenshots?

The 360 version looks great on its own. The PC default version however not so great. But out of all the systems it has the potential to look the best.
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/game-setup-tweeking-optimizing-q/19223-enabled-higher-resolution-background-textures-game-looks-amazing-look-see-how.html
    Above link is editing the computer registry to increase the graphics, this can screw your computer up badly if you don't know what you are doing.
    http://themogtoolz.free.fr/
    Above link does essentially the same thing except with less risk, and an easy to use UI, among other benefits.

Thats all I can think of now. Remember, ASK QUESTIONS. Everyone I've met in and out of the LS has been more than happy to answer me and even help out. I said this in another post and it holds true now:
    This game is not noob friendly, but the community is. So help is always around.

This post is very half-ass, I just threw it together while procrastinating some HW. Edit and take what you see fit and add to OP.

Smashism on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know why mentioning the new expansion is in any way misleading.

To be honest, when I first found it, I thought it was a discussion regarding WotG (such as the new jobs, areas, etc.)- which it was when I read the current posts. That's all I'm saying. :)

ringswraith on