As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    I'm just pissed we'll never see a game where the player is a rampaging wookie because George Lucas can't wrap his head around the idea of telling a Star Wars story not about a Jedi finding redemption with the help of a love interest and a wacky robot sidekick (enough already).

Let alone a main character that doesn't speak non regional American English. I just want to grab his big ears and yell, "Gordon Freeman doesn't speak at all you mother fucker."

Star Wars: Force Unleashed makes me excited for the next Prince of Persia game, cause lucasarts have set up a monopoly on generic rage maybe the Prince can make an adequate successor to Sands of Time.

Hey The Two Thrones was awesome, great, and more then an adequate successor to Sands of Time.

Also I agree that unless you fight bad ass super jedi all the time this game will be hella easy. Unless I guess they make it like real star wars where a single blaster shot can take you down...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    WildSpoonWildSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if this game contains ewoks.. even if its just 1% of one little level... in one little hut. I will spend DAYS (literal) throwing /burning / plucking them in whatever possible ways this engine will allow.

Then i will weep in joy.

WildSpoon on
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

PSN ID - WildSpoon
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you're able to tell the specific make of a star destroyer and evaluate its capabilities for atomospheric flight at a glance it could be time to reevaluate your life.

You know, Tube, silly me to assume that you'd let this observation slip by for two pages.

There's a reason why you're admin. It's apparently your skill with zingers.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Have you played Battlefront II? There's a gametype that pits you versus various creatures.

Scout Troopers vs. Ewoks on Endor
    Sand People vs. Jawas in Mos Eisley
    Snowtroopers vs. Wampas on Hoth

You can choose to play either side, too. Good stuff.

Anyway, don't wanna derail too much.

Renzo on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I will dedicate my life to building a time machine to bring me a completed copy of this game now. My future self should be here any second. However...if he brings me the game, I won't build the time machine and if I don't build the time machine, he won't bring me the game...

KVW on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    the proper face button to match a sequence as it appears onscreen.
    god DAMMIT not this again

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I'm definately over quick time events. Not the worst idea in gaming history, but they just aren't that fun.

Drool on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I'm definately over quick time events. Not the worst idea in gaming history, but they just aren't that fun.

I don't like them, because I never know they're coming. I know I "don't have time to watch a cut-scene, PRESS A!", but dammit, I want to watch. I always, always fail/lose/die at the first one in any game, because I don't know what's coming up. That's not fun. Then I have to go back through and learn all the placings. Great, that's just great. Oh but you were trying to tell a story? Well that's too bad, I'm too busy concentrating on these sodding cues flashing all over the screen to pay attention to what you're trying to tell me.
    Yeah, I'm actually really not a fan of those things.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They were ok in God of War because they made sense. They usually weren't just random button presses, if Kratos was stabbing a guy in the head you pushed the stab button and what not.

But yeah, now they are in every game, and generally they are used as a crutch for the devs to try to keep the player "engaged."

I still can't believe they put them in Jerico. Quick time events in an FPS? What?

Drool on
  • Options
    BrandXSaviorBrandXSavior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They were ok in God of War because they made sense. They usually weren't just random button presses, if Kratos was stabbing a guy in the head you pushed the stab button and what not.

But yeah, now they are in every game, and generally they are used as a crutch for the devs to try to keep the player "engaged."

I still can't believe they put them in Jerico. Quick time events in an FPS? What?

I thought they were done pretty well in Jericho, considering they were fairly context relevant (X button to move left hand, B button for right hand, etc.).

That being said, I don't like the concept of the "Simon" button repeat stuff primarily because you don't know when the event is going to trigger. If there was some kind of "heads up" it might be a bit more enjoyable.

BrandXSavior on
    Brand%20X%20Savior.png
    XBOX Live: BrandXSavior
    Wii: 4629 5078 1523 8513
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yup, that's one I was thinking of. Just.. let me watch, dammit. I want to see what you want to show me. Don't try to make it more clever by making me mash buttons as well.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Yup, that's one I was thinking of. Just.. let me watch, dammit. I want to see what you want to show me. Don't try to make it more clever by making me mash buttons as well.
    If you actually read the article, you'd have realized
    you won’t get a penalty if you enter the sequence wrong, because your main work will come from battling the boss and coming away victorious. However, entering the sequence correctly will give you a cool finishing attack and more Force Points then if you do it incorrectly.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, I didn't read the article, so it's good to see they're not punishing you for screwing them up. I was just responding to how they've been implemented in the past, usually met with instadeath for failure.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have no problem with the extreme force powers. I was a HUGE star wars fan as a child, and when I watched the Clone Wars cartoons for the first time, it was like seeing the jedi as I always imagined them. I had for years just assumed they could do stuff like that, it didn't seem like a big power boost to me, though I acknowledge that others think differently.

One of my favorite parts of the jedi knight series was the depth of control you had over the saber. Dependant on your mouse movements you could precisely aim your slashes with incredible control, and I don't know if they can manage that with duel analogs. Of course, its entirely possible that melee combat will be taking a back seat to the force powers and the less accurate fighting won't really matter.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    New movie up on GameTrailers:

Absolute Power Montage in SD
    Absolute Power Montage in HD

Kinda neat, but it's mostly old footage from the previous "Making of..." videos, especially the last one meaning lots of OMG EPIC HUGZ LOL and such. OP will be updated as well.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah I kinda got the impression you won't be having too many Jedi v. Jedi battles and that its going to be all about just amping everything up. I'm sorry, but whack-a-stormtrooper DOES get old after a while. and I think they probably realize that...thats why they're doing the whole, "well hey, If I have eXtreme force powers, why toss around storm troopers when I can toss around some TIE fighters and Rancor and Star Destroyers.

I sometimes worry that this game is just turning into a glorified tech demo. I'm hoping the story will be good..but I'm not expecting a whole lot.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My favorite part about the Jedi Knight games was force jumping and then force pulling enemies up towards me and then they would fall to their death while I landed softly. I better be able to do that in this game.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Force choke and lightning are all I need. That and the throwing my saber like a boomerang thing.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it wrong that I get physically turned on by watching the game previews?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can I play the entire game without using a single force power if I wish, resulting in a significant amount of work and challenge on my part for sacrificing the ezy mode force power option. Or is this a force only game and the lightsabering is all automatic and square square triangle lol repeats.
    I want a deep and interesting lightsaber combat engine in this, or I'm not really interested. The Force is really just invisible magics.

Very very fucking impressive physics coding they are developing though, I will give them credit for that because it's absolutely jawdropping.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    My favorite part about the Jedi Knight games was force jumping and then force pulling enemies up towards me and then they would fall to their death while I landed softly. I better be able to do that in this game.

You know what would also be cool? If they released it for every console imaginable AND THE FREAKING PC! :x

I know I know, who am I kidding. It's not as if they've ever released a game like this on the PC before where you play a Force and Sabre-wielding dude in 3rd person taking out loads of stormtroopers with combined force powers like Force Choke and and force Push and sold bucketloads of units as a result. Right?

/bitter bitter jagged pill.

subedii on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I get physically turned on by watching the game previews?

No.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really like the part of the newer GT vids when the dude just lightly pushes a stormtrooper with a box 'till he falls over.

The Apprentice is a dick.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hasn't, like, every awesome star wars game been on the PC? Dark Forces? Dark Forces II? Jedi Academy?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Hasn't, like, every awesome star wars game been on the PC? Dark Forces? Dark Forces II? Jedi Outcast?

And Kotor.

Khavall on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hasn't, like, every awesome star wars game been on the PC? Dark Forces? Dark Forces II? Jedi Academy?

IIRC, only the very first Rogue Squadron game was on PC, the others weren't

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

You missed out X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing Alliance...

Rogue squadron? Pfft, you may keep it.

subedii on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Rogue Squadron 3, Jedi Starfighter and Clone Wars had co-op, which makes them pretty awesome in my book. I'd have killed for X-Wing or TIE Fighter + co-op back when I was in a dorm. Plus there was that wacky original trilogy arcade game.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »

Rogue Squadron 3, Jedi Starfighter and Clone Wars had co-op, which makes them pretty awesome in my book. I'd have killed for X-Wing or TIE Fighter + co-op back when I was in a dorm. Plus there was that wacky original trilogy arcade game.

God I would kill for a new X-Wing game that supports co-op right now. Why someone isn't working on this is beyond me.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You should know by now. When someone tries to revive classic Star Wars, it all turns to shit. KOTOR was all new material, awesome. The prequel trilogy tried to revive the movie series for a new generation, not so awesome.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I just watched part 2 of those LA making of documentary things for this game.

I didn't realise that George Lucas actually specified that there had to be a comedic sidekick character. Man I feel sorry for the devs on that one. Even the Jedi Knight series never had a commedy sidekick.

subedii on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I didn't realise that George Lucas actually specified that there had to be a comedic sidekick character. Man I feel sorry for the devs on that one. Even the Jedi Knight series never had a commedy sidekick.

I could do some funny things with the Disruptor Rifle.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man this game so far does not impress me gameplay and story wise. It just looks to powerful with the magic force powers.

I bet there will be enemies that are immune to your powers. Like mini-bosses that become standard enemies later on.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    New interviews with LucasArts up on GameTrailers. There's actually some interesting story stuff in there.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Fig-D on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am VERY excited for this game. I am one of those "only has a Wii" guys so I am hoping the control scheme ends up being awesome.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tube's earlier comment could not have been better for today's comic. (Updated the OP.)

Fig-D on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yea I winced when I heard that. Great way to shit up a game is to demand it has to have a love interest and a comedian side kick. All a star wars game needs is light sabers, force powers, and a story that involves the death of thousands of people. Preferably millions. We can live without another bloody wookie/jarjar/c3p0 fucking spin off George you dick.

Also, make a damned X-wing game.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

Yea I winced when I heard that. Great way to shit up a game is to demand it has to have a love interest and a comedian side kick. All a star wars game needs is light sabers, force powers, and a story that involves the death of thousands of people. Preferably millions. We can live without another bloody wookie/jarjar/c3p0 fucking spin off George you dick.

Now, now, a Star Wars game can have a team of clones blowing the shit out of anything that gets in their way and be cool too. Also, Wookies.

In short, we want Republic Commando sequel NOW.

shryke on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

THey could make a HK sidekick. Hes not a tard like Jar Jar. But yeah George, haven't you learned yet that you lost the touch nearly 3 decades ago? You didn't really have it then, you lucked out.

DarkWarrior on