As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soul Calibur Four, Star Wars Characters-You don't have to play as them!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Uh... Critical Finishers sound really, really fucking dumb.

You win the prize. But that's what Namco thought the fans wanted, so that's what they delivered. If you'd been able to check the official (and unofficial) SC boards going all the way back there was a "Sole calebor needz fatalitiez!" thread every two weeks, right up to when the boards were shut down. GG.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Page- wrote: »

You win the prize. But that's what Namco thought the fans wanted, so that's what they delivered. If you'd been able to check the official (and unofficial) SC boards going all the way back there was a "Sole calebor needz fatalitiez!" thread every two weeks, right up to when the boards were shut down. GG.

Yeah, whatever, I can deal. It's not like my entire game is based on blocking, anyhow. But they should really include a way to turn this stupid shit off.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Or you could always use a house rule, whoever uses a CF forfeits their balls.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So how hard are CFs gonna be to pull off? If you could just agree not to use them, that would be good, but I wouldn't want to accidentally use it.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    CFs are tied to your Soul Gauge, which can be modified in strength before a match, just like you could put your health up to 150%, 200%, or infinite in the previous Soul Calibur games. You can put the Soul Gauge up to 200% if you wanted to, though no word on weather you can make it infinite.

Basically, whenever you block your Soul Gauge turns darker until it turns red, at which point your health bar will start to flash and one of the next 2 or 3 attacks you block will cause a soul crush, leaving you open to a CF. Once you notice your Soul Gauge is going red your options are A: Stop blocking, since you only lose Gauge power when you block, not when you get hit, B: Start GIing, since you don't lose power from GIing, C: Start attacking, since you gain power whenever you hit your opponent, D: All of the above.

Really, it remains to be seen whether this will be a completely negative addition. People who've been playing early leaked copies say that once you realize your Soul Gauge is in danger you either go into a berserk and suicidal fury or you do your level best to GI and step everything. I think, and I won't be able to confirm the until I get the game, that, as stupid as the actual CF animations are, they may bring a few new twists to player's strategies, since a few of the new moves being reported seem to be specifically designed to force people to block, something that wouldn't normally be a ends unto itself. We'll see, though.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Those CFs are really boring to watch.

august on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    august wrote: »
    Those CFs are really boring to watch.

Agreed. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to cut away from the arena you're in, rather than just integrate it into the fight.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The English VAs seem worse than usual.

On the plus side WOO LIZARDMAN REPRESENT.

august on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Seriously. It's like they aren't even trying at all. Straight to japanese VA for me again.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really don't mind CF...they still to be in the game to stop turtling(and will probably really only affect turtlers) and move the game to a more fast-paced setting...and if it does that more power to it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TripKMATripKMA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can't use the guest characters' moves for CaS? That's not cool man, not cool at all.

TripKMA on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TripKMA wrote: »
    You can't use the guest characters' moves for CaS? That's not cool man, not cool at all.

Aw... bugger. Guess that means no CaS jedi, sicne vader and apprentice are guests.

Aside from the main characters, is there a list of other movesets available for CaS characters yet?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    CaS characters are just different skins for the main characters.

On the other hand, there's a lot more customization possible now, both in CaS and in editing the main characters themselves.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Sounds fine to me. The gameplay could use some changing anyways.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

On the plus side WOO LIZARDMAN REPRESENT.

Indeed. Fuck yes. SCIV was a guaranteed purchase as soon as I saw that Lizardman was confirmed in.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That was the worst Soul Edge/Calibur intro ever.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm starting to get excited for this game. Yeah, the critical finishers are goofy and they're adding some kind of stupid characters. The reason this isn't bothering me is that compared to the shit I'm going to make with the character creator they're going to seem normal as hell.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will buy this if people say it is fun, but I'm going to go ahead and assume it's terrible.

Still, Hilde looks pretty baller and I need more Voldo in my life.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1up just gave the game an A, for those that care.

Has there been any word on online? I'm hoping for a lobby room, where I can get my friends together, and they can watch us fight while we take turns. Anyone know if there's anything like this?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not buying until I get a generic bland IGN/EGM review. SC3 broke my heart.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Not buying until I get a generic bland IGN/EGM review. SC3 broke my heart.

One generic bland review coming right up.

Less bland review from Famitsu

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know when this'll be available in stores? I know the "release date" is Tuesday, which usually means Wednesday, but since I've heard of people getting it early, I'm wondering if the game is already in stores and just streetdated.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TeisatsuTeisatsu Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    I am 300 million % sure that if Lightsabers are items in the character creator I am going to make every jedi in existance.

I'm way ahead of you, pal.

Teisatsu on
    tf2sig.jpg
    "In a world of deceit, open your eyes. Don't be afraid and you'll realize."-"Light", KMFDM.
    ...Did you know that obesity is frowned upon in Deutschland?:x
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know when this'll be available in stores? I know the "release date" is Tuesday, which usually means Wednesday, but since I've heard of people getting it early, I'm wondering if the game is already in stores and just streetdated.

I really hope that they have it, I already have it paid off and I am just waiting to get it

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't be too hopeful about store availability. I just talked to my usual place and they told me that even though their distributor has the game, Namco won't let them ship it. They're very unhappy about the leaks.

And I would be cautious about reviews. Soul Calibur 3 got heaps of positive reviews, but look what happened with that.

Early impressions from fans seem cautiously optimistic, though.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Namco won't let them ship it. They're very unhappy about the leaks.

AWRIGHT SOMEONE LEAKED THE NUDES!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q156/lil_caliante/dsc02752a169dceq3.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Namco won't let them ship it. They're very unhappy about the leaks.

AWRIGHT SOMEONE LEAKED THE NUDES!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q156/lil_caliante/dsc02752a169dceq3.jpg

ARE YOU TRYING TO SABOTAGE THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY?!

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't be too hopeful about store availability. I just talked to my usual place and they told me that even though their distributor has the game, Namco won't let them ship it. They're very unhappy about the leaks.

And I would be cautious about reviews. Soul Calibur 3 got heaps of positive reviews, but look what happened with that.

Surely the most reasonable response to eager fans getting your game early is to not let other people buy it on release day!

Seriously though, I can't imagine the game will be delayed at all. Early release of titles has never pushed a release back before.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Surely the most reasonable response to eager fans getting your game early is to not let other people buy it on release day!

Seriously though, I can't imagine the game will be delayed at all. Early release of titles has never pushed a release back before.

I don't mean it'll be delayed, I was just referring to anyone worried about it being shipped on the release date so that it won't be available till the day after. Normally retailers could get the game early and just keep them in a closet till the release date, that's far less likely to happen since the leak.

Edit: And you must not be familiar with Namco's longstanding policy toward money. That is, they hate it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I don't mean it'll be delayed, I was just referring to anyone worried about it being shipped on the release date so that it won't be available till the day after. Normally retailers could get the game early and just keep them in a closet till the release date, that's far less likely to happen since the leak.

Edit: And you must not be familiar with Namco's longstanding policy toward money. That is, they hate it.

Normally, games don't ship until their release date. It's only the really huge titles that get shipped early.

That's largely why I was asking, because typically people don't manage to get the game early unless it is shipped early and people fuck up.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Normally, games don't ship until their release date. It's only the really huge titles that get shipped early.

That's largely why I was asking, because typically people don't manage to get the game early unless it is shipped early and people fuck up.

Well I guess this must fall under the big release category. It shipped early in a few places and stores leaked it. My place was expecting to get it yesterday, but since the leak that's not happening. Namco has also been cracking down on early videos.

Maybe they have something to hide?!

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Seriously. I bought the game because basically every mag was creaming their pants over it(Especially OPM), and it turned out to be a very ho hum fighter. I think it had to do with the fact that it was one of the PS2's last big game.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    TripKMA wrote: »

Aw... bugger. Guess that means no CaS jedi, sicne vader and apprentice are guests.

Aside from the main characters, is there a list of other movesets available for CaS characters yet?

That's actually surprising... you'd think that would be the feature they know fans would want most. -shrug-

I guess that's what DLC is for, right Namco? D:

Street date is Tuesday, so Tuesday.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Well I guess this must fall under the big release category. It shipped early in a few places and stores leaked it. My place was expecting to get it yesterday, but since the leak that's not happening. Namco has also been cracking down on early videos.

Maybe they have something to hide?!

Nah, every company seems to be going out of their way to take down early videos. There were a ton of people playing GTA4 online before release, and most of the sites hosting those videos got asked to remove them.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2008
    Soulcalibur 3 got heaps of good reviews and was a good game.

bongi on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed SCIII immensely.

I even played though that turn-based thing.

Twice.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Twice.

D:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, do we have a full character/moveset roster out yet? If so, who's on it, and which movesets are new?

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    In the video with the CFs, the dude said there was still one character he hadn't unlocked...anyone know who it is?

edit: other than the Apprentice, that is

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Twice.

D:

I will say that I suffered through it nearly the entire time, but the rest of the game was top notch.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.