As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy IV DS Remake : Insert wity comment here...

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woo-hoo! A combination of spending some time leveling up in the Giant of Babil and immensely fortuitous luck meant I killed off the CPU quite easily this morning. I have to say I was rather impressed by the extra story bits tucked in after the battle—the only time I've noticed substantial plot and character development improved from the original. I always wish there were more voice-acted cutscenes, though, they're very well done.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been quite impressed if not surprised with how the voice acting has been so far, the only bad part I saw was Cecil's "WHY" in Rydia's home town.

That was bad, like Vader screaming nooooooooo bad.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    I've been quite impressed if not surprised with how the voice acting has been so far, the only bad part I saw was Cecil's "WHY" in Rydia's home town.

That was bad, like Vader screaming nooooooooo bad.

That was a little rough, but it was quickly countered with Rydia's badass "I HATE YOOOOOUUUUUUU!" Everything else has been really enjoyable, though I'll admit I'm fairly easy to impress with voice acting.

Also, XoB, you were right about the music in this version being beautiful. The Underworld theme, the Sylph Cave, the Troia theme ... all of them are excellent. I think overall FF4 has my favorite music in the series, although a lot of it has to do with nostalgia. I know I'm going to bawl like a baby over the end credits because of all the memories and music.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was really impressed with the long scene at Damcyan. Very good quality cutscenes. Can't believe they have dynamic lighting going on too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Just to make sure, the DS version doesn't have the bonus content of the GBA version, correct? No place where "Oh hey, the child martyrs aren't dead after all!" happens?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh
    I've only played th SNES version but they showed up fine at the end of that.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Just to make sure, the DS version doesn't have the bonus content of the GBA version, correct? No place where "Oh hey, the child martyrs aren't dead after all!" happens?

Well, Palom and Porom do come back to life, same as they always did, but there's no part where you can swap out party members for the final dungeon like you could in the GBA version.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

Well, Palom and Porom do come back to life, same as they always did, but there's no part where you can swap out party members for the final dungeon like you could in the GBA version.

Oh, well that's what I meant.

I guess that wasn't the best example.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

Oh, well that's what I meant.

I guess that wasn't the best example.

Heh. It doesn't have the bonus dungeon either, but you can New Game+ up to three times. I don't think it carries over levels/equipment aside from a few of the ultra-rare pieces, but it transfers Augments and you only pick up a few of them when you New Game+.

Lunker on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone know if there's a list of all of the augments and what they do? The only lists I see are who to use them on.

0blique on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    0blique wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a list of all of the augments and what they do? The only lists I see are who to use them on.

gamefaqs has a guide that lists them. I did some reading up on it earlier (to my chagrin, I think I missed out on like half the augments in the game). The guide you are looking for is starred I think.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T08oWYjwlSY]Sorry if this is old[/vidurl]. Cute though.

Is 20-25 a good level spread for the Dark Elf cave? I haven't been doing any grinding and just beat Cazz.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I see, hidden inside one of the comprehensive faqs.

Actually, it turns out there's one on the wikia too: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Augments_(Final_Fantasy_IV)

Should have known to look there first.

0blique on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    whoa whoa whoa. I never played the GBA one, you could swap out party members? Like to people that had died and stuff? That is just crazy.

One of my favorite parts of 4, was that you lost so much of your party. It made the whole adventure seem more epic.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fuck you behemoths

Zek on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    fuck you behemoths

Blink, attack, slow, blink, attack.

The end.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    fuck you behemoths

Blink, attack, slow, blink, attack.

The end.

Oh I beat them, but seriously, three forced encounters in a row? What the hell is that?

Zek on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T08oWYjwlSY]Sorry if this is old[/vidurl]. Cute though.

Is 20-25 a good level spread for the Dark Elf cave? I haven't been doing any grinding and just beat Cazz.

You might get your ass kicked by him at that level, he has some powerful spells that can do up to 400 damage but if you keep yourself cured you should be alright.

Mind you I just beat him with my average characters were level 34 and byt he time I left they were 36.

Cade on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just had to search for this cutscene on YouTube. Because seriously, it's so awesome. The music witht he rage part kicking into the boss battle is perfect. This cutscene made me love Edge. I was so fucking pumped for this boss battle after this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxFcolvJXs

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fuck you behemoths

In the SNES version, they're pretty slow by default. They just counterattack every attack you make, so they're not too bad if you just take it slow and only attack when your health is high.

DS version may be different.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    fuck you behemoths

In the SNES version, they're pretty slow by default. They just counterattack every attack you make, so they're not too bad if you just take it slow and only attack when your health is high.

DS version may be different.

You need to slow them, otherwise they attack pretty fast... I find with draw attack, you need to keep your tank blinked, and never attack with you tank to keep him alive. Invest in some shurikens too, since edge can blink himself and tossing those does much better damage than his attack.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to say, this doesn't seem much harder than the hardtype version so far.
    Just past the Antlion, so things may change.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scarmiglione was tough, but Cecil managed to kill him as the last one standing.

Great that all of the six levels he gained as a result were eliminated right after that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I've had 2 game overs so far, and both times were to random encounters in the Tower of Zot (fuck Scorch). Bosses haven't been a problem yet, although some have been challenging I've never been in danger of losing. I think if you kill everything as you go you'll be OK without too much trouble, at least up until the final part.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    stryker116 wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

I've had 2 game overs so far, and both times were to random encounters in the Tower of Zot (fuck Scorch). Bosses haven't been a problem yet, although some have been challenging I've never been in danger of losing. I think if you kill everything as you go you'll be OK without too much trouble, at least up until the final part.

Business as usual, then.

Also, the maths minigame to level up the eidolon is really damn annoying, and I say this as someone normally fine with mental arithmetic.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    God fuck shit damn, do stores just not carry strategy guides anymore? I have a, dare I say, PRISTINE collection of all the Final Fantasy games and their associated guides, which I cherish. I even got separate guides for Origins, Dawn of Souls, and the PSP versions. I'm just that crazy. Now I know about GameFAQs, but you know, it's a collection thing, I gotta have 'em all (plus the FF guides are quite often among the most thorough and well-made ones).

But I went to 5 separate stores today, none of them have FF4 DS's! In fact, in the EBs I went to, they didn't seem to have ANY at ALL! Did every chain out there just suddenly decide that strat guides weren't profitable anymore? The worst part is that it's not like this is an old, obscure game - it came out last week.

*sigh*

Off to Amazon I suppose.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    God fuck shit damn, do stores just not carry strategy guides anymore? I have a, dare I say, PRISTINE collection of all the Final Fantasy games and their associated guides, which I cherish. I even got separate guides for Origins, Dawn of Souls, and the PSP versions. I'm just that crazy. Now I know about GameFAQs, but you know, it's a collection thing, I gotta have 'em all (plus the FF guides are quite often among the most thorough and well-made ones).

But I went to 5 separate stores today, none of them have FF4 DS's! In fact, in the EBs I went to, they didn't seem to have ANY at ALL! Did every chain out there just suddenly decide that strat guides weren't profitable anymore? The worst part is that it's not like this is an old, obscure game - it came out last week.

*sigh*

Off to Amazon I suppose.

Check walmart, seriously. They were the only place I've ever seen guides for this game or FFTA2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

*sigh*

Off to Amazon I suppose.

Check walmart, seriously. They were the only place I've ever seen guides for this game or FFTA2

Seriously? Isn't Wal-Mart usually the place where you can only find the latest, most mainstream stuff?

Oh well, guess I'll go check there later tonight or something. Can't hurt.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FF4 is the latest, most mainstream stuff. I see RPG guides there all the time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what should I know about using/saving augments? I want to have a pimped out party and I'm OCD about "wasting" augments. Characters that die.. don't use any on them? What happens when I use multiple augments on one character?

I just need to know this stuff before I do anything stupid and irreversible.

CMONNNNNNNNNNNN!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    actually its the exact opposite.

Use crappy augments like auto potion on characters who leave in order to get more, better augments from them.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Make sure you save a few for Palom and Porom to have three between them (Don't use counter), otherwise you don't get Cry and Dualcast when they leave, both of which are insanely useful.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nope, I swear, it's as if suddenly strategy guides don't exist anymore. The most recent stuff I could find in any store today was Two Worlds and Super Paper Mario. Just pathetic.

I hope you're proud of yourself, GameFAQs. You killed an entire sub-industry and made a whole bunch of OCD collectors sad.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw a guide for this when I was in a gamestop yesterday. Dunno why you are having such a hard time

LockeCole on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure where you are located SimBen, but I just checked bestbuy.com for store availability on the strategy guide and it located a store in my area that had it. Maybe try the same?

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I live in the barren plains of Canada, where the winters are long and the guides are few.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i never finished the original because of the difficulty and i got sidetracked

i was less than impressed with the remake of 3

is this any better

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nope, I swear, it's as if suddenly strategy guides don't exist anymore. The most recent stuff I could find in any store today was Two Worlds and Super Paper Mario. Just pathetic.

I hope you're proud of yourself, GameFAQs. You killed an entire sub-industry and made a whole bunch of OCD collectors sad.

DoubleJump are still in business, so there's hope. They did the Mana Khemia guide, and are working on Disgaea 3's.

And am I doing something wrong? The only augments I've found up to the Devil's Road are Auto-Potion and Counter.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I live in the barren plains of Canada, where the winters are long and the guides are few.

What are you talking about? Our EBgames here always has all the new guides.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Did I just pick a bad day to go guide-shopping? Was today International Return the Guides to Factory Day or something?

SimBen on
    sig.gif