As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy IV DS Remake : Insert wity comment here...

• Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My Twincasted Rosa and Cecil will only do Pyroblast :( What am I doing wrong?

Calaveron on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Calaveron wrote: »
    My Twincasted Rosa and Cecil will only do Pyroblast :( What am I doing wrong?

I think that any time you use Twincast its supposed to randomly do Pyroblast, Comet, or a special spell depending on who is doing it. (special attacks in spoilers for to much damned text)
    Bravery
    MP: 50 Cast Time: 10
    Power: N/A Acc: 100%
    Target: All Allies
    Effect: Increases attack power of all allies.
    Edge and Rydia, Edge and Cecil

Bubble
    Effect: Doubles health of all allies.
    Kain and Rosa, Kain and Cecil

Faith
    Effect: Increases magic power of all allies.
    Rydia and Cecil, Rydia and Rosa

Ultima
    MP: 99 Cast Time: 10
    Power: 999 Acc: 100%
    Target: All Enemies
    Effect: Non-elemental damage to all enemies.
    Rosa and Cecil

...but it seems to be a bit buggy... I always seem to get the special spell, and not comet/pyroblast.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I disapprove of this thread title as it uses my title without consulting me, which I set in 2004 or so, and with a typo too. A pox upon the OP!

Otherwise I love FF but I don't have a DS so eh.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bahamut casts reflect on himself and then bounces the Megaflare. :P

diabolical.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bahamut casts reflect on himself and then bounces the Megaflare. :P

diabolical.

Yeah I figured he'd do something different though, the book in the summoned monster town that used to hint to use reflect now says something different (Basically have Kain jump to avoid it I think)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god yes!
    Best character in the universe, Rydia, has come back from hiatus to save my sorry ass, packing a thousand Eidolons and new spells!
    And she's older and is packing a whip! :winky:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh god yes!
    Best character in the universe, Rydia, has come back from hiatus to save my sorry ass, packing a thousand Eidolons and new spells!
    And she's older and is packing a whip! :winky:

See, I felt this particular moment was key for FF4, because....
    You have to resurrect 3/5 of your party, while getting bombarded by spells, having a boss that changes his elemental alignment, and casts really strong spells. It's not tough, but if you don't act and use the assets available to you, then you're dead. Pretty much signifies rising up to meet the challenge if I've ever seen it.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Take that Leviathan! God, I must have died 6 times. I can't imagine having done it without Dual Cast Rosa. Pretty much Cecil/Rosa healed and made sure Rydia lived to cast Ramuh a bunch. That seem to be everyone else's strategy?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    What level were you at that part? I was about 48 to 50+ with all of my party members excepting Edge, and I didn't have Dualcast.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Take that Leviathan! God, I must have died 6 times. I can't imagine having done it without Dual Cast Rosa. Pretty much Cecil/Rosa healed and made sure Rydia lived to cast Ramuh a bunch. That seem to be everyone else's strategy?

By the time I got to him Rosa could to full party heals anyways... Especially if Edge died. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »

I had to kill him before he got to the second casting of Tidal Wave or whatever it's called. I didn't have dualcast but went all out damage as soon as I got everyone up.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    so im in the sealed cave and im about level 53-4ish, am i doing good? i haven't got this far on a version of ff4 before, not since the original way back when. i also haven't done any "grinding" yet i see people going to the moon with less levels.. how.. unless all that exploring getting 100% on each dungeon map paid off..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sealed cave is actually not so bad this time around, especially not at those levels. If you don't feel ready you can do one of the two sidequest dungeons in the underground to level.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sealed cave is actually not so bad this time around, especially not at those levels. If you don't feel ready you can do one of the two sidequest dungeons in the underground to level.

i didnt know there were sidequest dungeons..

i hate those fuckers with blaze, i get two of them and its a race against time and chance because if they both cast blaze one after the other im fucked.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    What level were you at that part? I was about 48 to 50+ with all of my party members excepting Edge, and I didn't have Dualcast.

All ranging 43 to 49. I have yet to do sealed cave .

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Have you done anything in the Sylph Cave? There's pretty decent leveling to be had there/

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap, good thing I've only used one Augment!
    Tella, the Twins, and now Yang. Everybody is dying all over the place! Is this game from before they invented the party-switching RPG mechanic?!?!?

Am I forgetting somebody? I probably am. But since the Twins and Yang died, it seems I can't go by the character list in the manual. This is like ep.1 of The Tower of Druaga anime.
    Hay guys, when this is over I'm getting married--OH SHI

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So many of you missed out on such a quality game in your childhood, and the fact that there are so many surprises to you- why... I can almost see a sparkle in your eyes.

To answer your question. Yes, there were no party-switching mechanics in FFIV. It is VERY story based, so the characters are very set. In the GBA version, you could switch your party at the end. It was stupid.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Not necessarily

Pretty big spoilers, but not too detailed:
    I believe you could switch out for anyone who hadn't actually died, which is why I believe Tellah was not included.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So many of you missed out on such a quality game in your childhood, and the fact that there are so many surprises to you- why... I can almost see a sparkle in your eyes.

To answer your question. Yes, there were no party-switching mechanics in FFIV. It is VERY story based, so the characters are very set. In the GBA version, you could switch your party at the end. It was stupid.

Specially because it's very much hinted at that
    Yang, Cid and Gilbert or whatever were all permanently crippled
    Odd that they would take up their tools/instruments and join the fight later on.

Also, somehow I'm DOMINATING in this game. I ran all the way to Feymarch and got Asura and then ran all the way down Sylph Cave hoarding equipment before getting to the Sealed Cave. The only thing I had to worry about was getting two Chimerae. Anything else, including those stupid doors, couldn't touch me.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The doors are hella easy in this game if you have provoke.

Cecil is extremely resistant or immune to insta death by the time you get there. Hell if your levels are right he should die before it even becomes a problem.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Cecil is extremely resistant or immune to insta death by the time you get there. Hell if your levels are right he should die before it even becomes a problem.

That's what happened to me. All the doors would lock on and Ninth Dimension Cecil, but there'd be no effect.
    Could've been a combination of Aegis Shield, Defender, or Cecil just rollin' like that.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tella, the Twins, and now Yang. Everybody is dying all over the place! Is this game from before they invented the party-switching RPG mechanic?!?!?

Am I forgetting somebody? I probably am. But since the Twins and Yang died, it seems I can't go by the character list in the manual. This is like ep.1 of The Tower of Druaga anime.
    Hay guys, when this is over I'm getting married--OH SHI

Giving bad augments to good characters can yield very good results.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Calaveron wrote: »

That's what happened to me. All the doors would lock on and Ninth Dimension Cecil, but there'd be no effect.
    Could've been a combination of Aegis Shield, Defender, or Cecil just rollin' like that.

I'm hitting the Tower of Babil 2 and so far I don't think Cecil's been hit by anything like that since becoming a pally. It's either "No Effect" or "Miss" and I sure as hell don't have any special gear on him. I think he's been maybe insta-deathed once or twice the entire game so far and that's including time as a dark knight. I think he has a lot of inharent resistence to status effects.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, note that the ninth dimension is reflectable. So Cecil with provoke and then cast reflect on him instantly eases up all door battles.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, note that the ninth dimension is reflectable. So Cecil with provoke and then cast reflect on him instantly eases up all door battles.

No shit? I could've used that information the first time I played FF4 hardtype. Jesus Christ were those doors a bitch. Fighting them was a combination of "ohshitohshitattackjumpquakeberserk shit shit shit SHITTTTTT"" then I'd run out of Phoenix Downs because it killed Rosa AGAIN.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i never checked the older versions to see about 9th dimension/reflect. I just found it out randomly after fucking around with the doors in this ds version

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aegis shield makes you immune to death, stone, and other sorts of instant death attacks. So all you have to do is give it to Cecil along with draw attack, and then do whatever you want before the door transforms into something else.

0blique on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    0blique wrote: »
    Aegis shield makes you immune to death, stone, and other sorts of instant death attacks. So all you have to do is give it to Cecil along with draw attack, and then do whatever you want before the door transforms into something else.

If you kill it with a strong enough attack (by letting it get down to 1-2k health left then killing it) it won't even transform. They only transform if they fall to near death HP.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i wish there was something to make you immune from beserk

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, not even the tail shield will do that. I guess they still think that beserk is a good thing.

0blique on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    not against pudding princesses

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

When we say provoke, do we mean "draw attacks" because I'm using that right now on Cecil, and I can't seem to find any listing for a provoke augment.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yeah. provoke=draw atk

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just started my..
    .. trip to the moon. God the flans are incredibly annoying in this version. I believe they double attack, or atleast get 2 attacks in by the time one of your party members gets one. I can't wait for the descent to the core. woop woop!

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That's why you use counter, and kick if you have it. I usually have Cecil just brace to reduce the damage he takes, and then let the counter attacks do the damage.

0blique on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i have counter, kick, and draw attacks on cecil - i try not to use it cuz its cheese

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You're doing it wrong. :(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You're doing it wrong. :(

In all fairness, giving Item Lore to Porom/Palom IS a waste, seeing how an Item Lore'd Rydia using Stardust Rod can hit for 9999 on all enemies.
    That's 9999, no MP, all enemies, split-second casting.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really don't get the appeal of a remake with worse graphics than the original. I love FF4, but I already own it on snes, playstation, and GBA.

The idea of switching up how boss fights work is cool, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg