As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Exalted: Silver Seas. We're recruiting!

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    None of those really make a difference in the concept, so they're good suggestions.

A lot of what I took is just stuff that seemed good, I don't really know the system at all.

Rainfall told me the rest. Also, I think it was an artifact breastplate.

*boots up anathema*
    Yeah, and an artifact breastplate is 1 dot.

Really, if you want to know things are happening before they happen, Awareness is the way to go. Lemme look through Occult, too, there's probably some cool shit in there for you, too.

Twilight is a fucking hot caste; it's what my current (actually, my first) character is. That anima helps tremendously with defending yourself. What are your favored abilities?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Plutonium, check out Spirit-Detecting Glance and All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    War, Awareness, Dodge, Stealth, Sail

Also, I dropped Occult Excellency and Infinite mastery, and picked up Spirit-Detecting glance and Invisible Spirit Statue, and am wondering how I could fit in Sorcerer's Sight.

I could just totally drop the medicine stuff, dump all my points from there into awareness, stealth, and sail, and let my buddies have fun healing their broken limbs themselves.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was considering comboing Impeding the Flow and Crimson Palm Counterstrike.

But the fact that despite them both being reflexive step 2 charms, impeding the flow reduces the successes to zero in steps 3/4, and apparently crimson palm counterstrike is implied to work in step 5, making the whole thing kinda useless.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rainfall told me the rest. Also, I think it was an artifact breastplate.

Yes, an Artifact Breastplate costs 1 dot of Artifact. A normal nonmagical Breastplate is a Resources 2 item, but you do not pay for it with REsources at character creation if it's an Artifact.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hm.

If Plutonium's going for the Martial Arts and Sorcery route, perhaps I should alter my concept some.

QUick check!

Who's playing what Caste and with what Motivations?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I don't want to go the martial arts route really - if anything, I would probably prefer strait sorcery. Thanatos is just suggesting that I switch my single point from melee into martial arts.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Krata, I think you need to count up your points again. By my math, you've overspent.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I don't want to go the martial arts route really - if anything, I would probably prefer strait sorcery. Thanatos is just suggesting that I switch my single point from melee into martial arts.

*L* We're the same Caste, you're going all Sorcerous, and neither one of us are particularly resilient. Depending on what other people go with, I might alter my character concept, or I might stick with this one. I'm pretty flexible and Exalted characters are awesome enough that I could enjoy playing any type almost.

Did I, Thanatos?

...Did I take too many Backgrounds? I may've misread something when I was flipping through the character creation section.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, having 3 extra backgrounds to spend, what's something that would be nice for a Sorcerer that I could potentially find on a dead lunar, if not a breastplate.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Plutonium, Solar Healing is really fucking nice. That being said, a healer in Exalted is not like a Cleric in D&D; it's not a requirement. Celestial Exalts heal pretty damn quickly on their own.

There is also nothing at all stopping you from picking it up later. The opposite, in fact, since Medicine is a Caste skill for you.

If you're planning on spellcasting in combat, an awareness excellency is a very, very good way to insure that you're likely to go before most other combatants.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Out of curiosity DE?AD, what Caste do you think you'll be going for assuming we survived till encountering the Silver Pact? I suspect the two of us are both going to end up Full Moons (there is a chance that Dezrik could end up a Changing Moon), and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just curious. :)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Uh, if anyone else wants a consultation, feel free to ask.

Fiaryn is going to be a fucking beast.
    I'll take any advice I can get on how to be the ultimate badass :)
    Get yourself an Orichalcum Dire Lance for one. ;-)
    Yeah, I don't know that a Dawn Caste Exalt has ever existed without an artifact weapon. :P
    Well, I could probably finagle my points to afford one, but looking at the Dire Lance it says that it requires 2 hands to use, and I wanted to use a shield in one hand, spear in the other.

Is that possible some how, or should I suck it up and use the lance normally?

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, having 3 extra backgrounds to spend, what's something that would be nice for a Sorcerer that I could potentially find on a dead lunar, if not a breastplate.
    You can hang onto the armor if you want, man. It's good flavor.

I think a Dragon Tear Tiara, while not something one would expect to find on a Lunar, wouldn't be completely out of place. And Exalts are known to draw those things which they need to them. :P It's only a two-dot artifact, so you could keep the breastplate, too, and it would boost that "psychic awareness" you're looking for.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So, I could drop my medicine charms, keep a few points in there for the future, and pick up Awareness Excellency 1 as well as All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight.

Alternatively, I could drop medicine a point, bump awareness to five, and take Surprise Anticipation Method instead of Awareness Excellency 1, which would combo really well with All-Encompassing Sorcerer's sight.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, here's my sheet. Feel free to p[ick it apart and offer advice.
    Name: Bramha the Bold, God-King of the Ajit.
    Caste: Dawn
    Motivation: Glory

Attributes:
    Strength: 4 | Dexterity: 5 | Stamina: 3
    Charisma : 3 | Manipulation: 2 | Appearance: 4
    Perception: 2 | Intelligence: 2 | Wits: 3

Abilities:
    Martial Arts: 3
    Melee: 5 (Spear +3)
    Thrown: 1
    War: 4 (Small Unit +3)
    (Favored) Presense: 4
    (Favored) Resistance: 3
    (Favored) Athletics 3
    (Favored) Awareness 3
    (Favored) Medicine 3
    Integrity 2
    Survival 3

Backgrounds:

Cult 2
    Followers 2
    Influence 3

Charms:
    1st Melee Excellency
    Dipping Swallow Defense
    Bulwark Stance
    Heavenly Guardian Defense (Valor Flaw)
    3rd War Excellency
    Rout Stemming Gesture
    Ox Body Meditation
    Durability of Oak Meditation
    Iron Skin Concentration
    Surprise Anticipation Method

Virtues
    Compassion: 1 Temperance: 2
    Conviction: 2 Valor: 4
    Virtue Flaw: Foolhardy Contempt

Willpower: 7

Essence: 2
    Personal Essence: 13/13
    Peripheral Essence: 30/30

Appearance:
    Bramha is a powerful man, standing over 6 feet tall, his body the epitome of perfection. His long dark hair flows unrestrained down his back. Seeing little need for modesty nor protection Bramha wears only a cloak and a loincloth, even to battle.

History
    "I see it in your eyes stranger. You do not believe in our Lord, do you? You see a man, a mighty man you will grant, but still just a man. Ha ha ha... Yes stranger, you blasphemy makes me laugh. You are not the first that has denied our Lord, nor do I think you'll be the last. Even our Lord did not know who he was at first. His first 30 years on Creation where spent as but a man, a leader of a small nation in the South. He lived like any King would, he had a Queen, children, and ruled his people well. But eventually one of his many rivals invaded, and thought he fought with great skill, he was greatly outnumbered, and soon his army fell. The thrice cursed invaders slaughtered everyone, yet in their cruelty the left our Lord alive, finding it more amusing to loose him in the desert, alone and empty handed, to wander alone until his grief drove him mad or the desert itself killed him. But our Lord did not find death in the desert, he found truth, and he emerged not as a half dead madman, but as the the mighty God we of the Ajit worship.

What is it boy? You wish to join the Ajit, the chosen warriors of the Mighty Bramha? Where it that simple child. First you must stand before our Lord and let him judge you. He will see in to your very soul boy, and you will feel the majesty of him threaten to destroy you. But maybe, if your body and spirit are strong enough, he will allow you to attempt the training. Yes boy, I said attempt, as we Ajit are the finest solders in all of Creation, and we fight at the side of a God. We allow no amateurs to take up the shield and the spear. You will work and train and fight and train until you can no longer move, and then you fill fight some more. It is not an easy road, most fail before the first year, but if you are strong enough, smart enough, then our Lord may deem you worthy to fight at his side.

Bah, the night grows long and my Lord wills that we move on, so I shall bid you all farewell. Were do we go? That is for our Lord to descide, but for the time we head West. I once asked my Lord where he was leading us of the Ajit. His reply was simple.

'To Glory.'"
    A couple of things right off:

Surprise Anticipation Method requires Awareness 5. The Third War Excellency is an... interesting... choice for an ability like War. You would get much, much more benefit out of the First or Second Excellency

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As a quick primer, guys: statistically, the First and Second Excellencies have an identical effect on your expected number of successes. The First Excellency just has a much wider variance, with a much flatter curve, whereas the Second Excellency brings things much closer to the Bell Curve. This is to say that if you like to leave things more up to luck, with a chance to do way better than the Second Excellency will allow you to (though, also a chance to do way worse) the First Excellency should be your choice. If you like to be more reliable, the Second Excellency should be your choice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yeah, I don't know that a Dawn Caste Exalt has ever existed without an artifact weapon. :P
    Well, I could probably finagle my points to afford one, but looking at the Dire Lance it says that it requires 2 hands to use, and I wanted to use a shield in one hand, spear in the other.

With the defensive bonus on an Orichalcum Dire Lance, you come out to an equal PDV as you would with the Short Spear+Shield combo you'd planned, more accuracy, twice the damage, and the ability to do TRIPLE damage bracing against mounted opponent charges. Oh and a higher Rate so you can do more flurrying with the Dire Lance as well.

You want the Dire Lance. ;-)

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

With the defensive bonus on an Orichalcum Dire Lance, you come out to an equal PDV as you would with the Short Spear+Shield combo you'd planned, more accuracy, twice the damage, and the ability to do TRIPLE damage bracing against mounted opponent charges. Oh and a higher Rate so you can do more flurrying with the Dire Lance as well.

You want the Dire Lance. ;-)
    All right, all right, you convinced me. Seems I have some adjustments to make anyway.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You realize a spear is two-handed, right? A short spear is one-handed.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, here's the newest revision. Lowered the Influence to get the Artifact, changed the War Excellency to the 2nd, and changed SAM to Solar Counterattack.

Attributes:
    Strength: 4 | Dexterity: 5 | Stamina: 3
    Charisma : 3 | Manipulation: 2 | Appearance: 4

Abilities:
    Martial Arts: 3
    Melee: 5 (Spear +3)
    Thrown: 1
    War: 4 (Small Unit +3)
    (Favored) Presense: 4
    (Favored) Athletics 3
    (Favored) Awareness 3
    (Favored) Medicine 3
    Integrity 2
    Survival 3

Backgrounds:

Cult 2
    Followers 2
    Influence 1
    Artifact 2 (Orichalcum Dire Lance)

Charms:
    1st Melee Excellency
    Dipping Swallow Defense
    Bulwark Stance
    Solar Counterattack
    2nd War Excellency
    Rout Stemming Gesture
    Ox Body Meditation
    Iron Skin Concentration

Virtues
    Conviction: 2 Valor: 4

Willpower: 7

Personal Essence: 13/13
    Peripheral Essence: 30/30

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Solar Counterattack is a good choice in my book. Wait till you get Ready in Eight Directions. Lovely stuff there.

Also, show of hands, who DOESN'T have a Compassion of 1?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    *wave*

Compassion 3

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    *wave*

Compassion 3
    Figures. :P

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So far exactly half of our eight people have a Compassion of 1. Mein gott.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We're going to be a crew of meanies who kill small animals for fun.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh god oh god oh god.

Thinatos, you horribly wonderful person. Now I'm going to have to work twice as hard to have antagonists that can actually provide a threat.

...Actually, this is a good thing. Now I don't need to hold back as much.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Why the point in Thrown, Coyote? If you want a ranged attack, just pick up Iron Raptor Technique.

Conveniently, saving that bonus point means you can buy a point of a Virtue instead of a point of Willpower. I suggest you do so. :P

I would also suggest you seriously consider whether you'd rather have any of Ox Body Meditation, Solar Counterattack, Rout-Stemming Gesture, or instead have Five-Fold Bulwark Stance, or Iron Kettle Body (which stacks with Iron Skin Concentration). Is not wearing armor something essential to your character concept?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Oh god oh god oh god.

Thinatos, you horribly wonderful person. Now I'm going to have to work twice as hard to have antagonists that can actually provide a threat.

...Actually, this is a good thing. Now I don't need to hold back as much.
    Yeah, it's real easy to get a character killed if you don't know what you're doing. :P

It's worth noting, Plutonium, that my first attempt at making a character looked a lot like your first attempt at making a character, minus the Sorcery, plus some Crafting, so I know where you're coming from.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Out of curiosity DE?AD, what Caste do you think you'll be going for assuming we survived till encountering the Silver Pact? I suspect the two of us are both going to end up Full Moons (there is a chance that Dezrik could end up a Changing Moon), and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just curious. :)

Hadn't even really though about it, but Full Moon certainly fits the best.

Okay, Thanatos, since you're helping everyone else out, I beseech thee, how can I make Nemani invulnerable? Optimally, I'd like her to be able to go an entire combat without dodging or blocking - justing getting by through sheer resilience. Any suggestions?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Why the point in Thrown, Coyote? If you want a ranged attack, just pick up Iron Raptor Technique.
    Well, I figured it'd be handy if I wanted to thrown a spear threw someone. It's not vital.
    Conveniently, saving that bonus point means you can buy a point of a Virtue instead of a point of Willpower. I suggest you do so. :P
    Okay.
    I would also suggest you seriously consider whether you'd rather have any of Ox Body Meditation, Solar Counterattack, Rout-Stemming Gesture, or instead have Five-Fold Bulwark Stance, or Iron Kettle Body (which stacks with Iron Skin Concentration). Is not wearing armor something essential to your character concept?
    Well, the no armor thing is just a style I like, mostly cause it looked really cool in 300.

I took Rout Stemming Gesture cause I wanted Bramha to have some War charms, and it was really the only one I could get.

Would you reccomend dropping Ox Body for Iron Kettle? And Solar Counterattack for FFBS? Or keep SCA and take FFBS instead of Rout Stemming Gesture if that Charm isn't that good?

(As you can tell my Exalted experience is limited:))

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Hadn't even really though about it, but Full Moon certainly fits the best.

Okay, Thanatos, since you're helping everyone else out, I beseech thee, how can I make Nemani invulnerable? Optimally, I'd like her to be able to go an entire combat without dodging or blocking - justing getting by through sheer resilience. Any suggestions?
    I don't actually have the Lunar book. I'm guessing with Stamina charms and natural armor knacks...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, I figured it'd be handy if I wanted to thrown a spear threw someone. It's not vital.
    Okay.
    Well, the no armor thing is just a style I like, mostly cause it looked really cool in 300.

I took Rout Stemming Gesture cause I wanted Bramha to have some War charms, and it was really the only one I could get.

Would you reccomend dropping Ox Body for Iron Kettle? And Solar Counterattack for FFBS? Or keep SCA and take FFBS instead of Rout Stemming Gesture if that Charm isn't that good?

(As you can tell my Exalted experience is limited:))
    War charms don't really start paying off until your Permanent Essence hits 3. I wouldn't worry about it until then, given that you can get some really badass charms instead right now, and they'll still be there, waiting, when you're ready.

You should also read the descriptions of Presence and Performance. I think you may actually want Performance.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [
    War charms don't really start paying off until your Permanent Essence hits 3. I wouldn't worry about it until then, given that you can get some really badass charms instead right now, and they'll still be there, waiting, when you're ready.
    Okay, Guess I can drop those 2 Charms for now.
    You should also read the descriptions of Presence and Performance. I think you may actually want Performance.
    Eh, Presence is the ability to lead, Performance is artistic expression. Why would I want Performance?

Also, since I have a couple free Charms, I was wondering, I'd like to not be completely helpless against Social Fu, anything in particular I can get to help me defend myself.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Big epic speeches also fall under Performance. Oratory is Performance.

Edit: In regards to Social-Fu, a decent Integrity and Willpower should provide you plenty in regards to MDV.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [
    Okay, Guess I can drop those 2 Charms for now.
    Eh, Presence is the ability to lead, Performance is artistic expression. Why would I want Performance?

Also, since I have a couple free Charms, I was wondering, I'd like to not be completely helpless against Social Fu, anything in particular I can get to help me defend myself.
    It's more like Performance affects many people, Presence affects a single person.

There are some seriously kickass Solar Integrity charms. Integrity Excellency + Temptation-Resisting Stance + Elusive Dream Defense = "No, thank you, serpent, I really don't like apples."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My apples are the best. :winky:

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, I guess I go with Performance then.

And since I can't use sword + spear, I think I'll go with a daiklave, cause I really want to use a shield.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, latest revision. Switched Presence to Performance, switch the Lance for a Daiklaive, swapped some Charms to get Integrity Excellence and a Performance Charm (Respect Commanding Attitude) plus some general adjustments.

Attributes:
    Strength: 3 | Dexterity: 5 | Stamina: 3
    Charisma : 4 | Manipulation: 2 | Appearance: 4

Abilities:
    Martial Arts: 2
    Melee: 5 (Daikliave +3)
    War: 4
    (Favored) Performance: 4
    (Favored) Athletics 3
    (Favored) Awareness 3
    (Favored) Integrity 3
    Dodge 2
    Medicine 2
    Survival 1

Backgrounds:

Cult 2
    Followers 2
    Influence 1
    Artifact 2 (Orichalcum Daiklaive)

Charms:
    1st Melee Excellency
    Dipping Swallow Defense
    Bulwark Stance
    Solar Counterattack
    Iron Skin Concentration
    Iron Kettle Body
    Second Integrity Excellency
    Respect Commanding Attitude

Virtues
    Conviction: 4 Valor: 4

Willpower: 8

Personal Essence: 14/14
    Peripheral Essence: 33/33

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    404404 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damn Powerslave and Fiaryn for tipping me off to this. I didn't want to get sucked in again, but...

Got a couple concepts I'm kicking around, but it'll take a day or two to get Scion God/Cthulhutech/Dark Heresy out of my head and get a proper character made.

404 on
    Getter404.png
This discussion has been closed.