As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What TV should I get: Read OP before asking questions

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good movie I would use to demo a system. Anyone got one?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    O_o

Okay, the point of 120Hz TVs is that they eliminate the need for 3:2 pull-down on 24fps source material (ie, films). What good is 100Hz?

As I've established I'm not too knowledgable on this subject, and am even a bit hazy as to what 3:2 pull-down actually entails, but I believe that in PAL regions our broadcast content is typically 50hz rather than 60hz. I think I even read a comment that our DVD's are 25fps rather than 24 although I have no idea how true that is.

3:2 pulldown is the technique used to play 24fps material on 60fps displays, like American TVs. The frames are played 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 and so on, so you get a little stuttering going on in there. With a 120Hz display, you just show each frame five times - no stutter.

If your film is at 25fps, then you still don't need 100Hz displays, as you can just double each frame and you're golden.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good movie I would use to demo a system. Anyone got one?

Are you looking to test a particular feature, or just in general? Are you talking HD or SD? I recall LOTR being good for SD, and King Kong being good on HD-DVD as showcase films.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys I am looking for a second HDTV. This one would be for my bedroom. I will be using it with an HD TIVO and my xbox 360 will be moving back to the bedroom (so I will actually play it).

I was browsing sams today and this SEEMS like a really good T.V. and a really good deal.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=419969&pCatg=5883

thoughts?

Edit:

If you have any other suggestions my budget is absolutely no more than $500 and at least 32".

Ludious on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you want to check the contrast switching, I think the Star Wars prequels do a fair number of useful cuts.

Of course, then you’ll be letting everybody in the store know you have Star Wars prequels.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    If you want to check the contrast switching, I think the Star Wars prequels do a fair number of useful cuts.

Of course, then you’ll be letting everybody in the store know you have Star Wars prequels.

Plus they have the THX calibration tool, which is a pretty good basic tool for getting the TV looking nice.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I picked up a LG 37LG50, basically their 37" 1080p LCD--$699, versus the normal $999. Thank you, Best Buy.

I'm fairly pleased at the moment--it's not a top of the line model, but the image is quite clear, and it's got an assload of different inputs: 3 HDMI, 3 Component, and more. Currently, I only have my component Xbox 360 (too old for HDMI), but I'm quite pleased for the most part. The size seems pretty good for my needs.

Now, all I need is an HDMI device to test it out on.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I'm not overly knowledgeable about HDTVs, but I am interested in purchasing a 720p 32", ideally around the $400-$500 price range. Is that budget too limiting for a decent TV? Also, might anyone have any recommendations from reputable vendors?

Some googling around has led me to eye this TV, any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Darlan on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    So I'm not overly knowledgeable about HDTVs, but I am interested in purchasing a 720p 32", ideally around the $400-$500 price range. Is that budget too limiting for a decent TV? Also, might anyone have any recommendations from reputable vendors?

Some googling around has led me to eye this TV, any thoughts? Thanks guys.

I've wondered about this model as well but it doesn't have any contrast ratio specs listed which makes me suspicious of its quality. That being said, I don't know a WHOLE lot about HDTV'S either.

Ludious on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've started looking at stats, and THEN going to cnet and reading their reviews of specific sets. Gives me a much better idea since they give detailed info and they're pretty good about noting how it stacks up against other options in a similar price range AND other top-quality models of the same size so you can tell what you're giving up and at what cost.

They don't have reviews on all sets, but most of the time they've at least got one on the equivalent of a slightly smaller or larger size.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, cnet is a pretty good place for reviews. I used it to help shop for both my TV and my BD player.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I usually start with Amazon to narrow down TVs in a price range etc, then head to Cnet for reviews, then finish on AVSforums for the detailed stuff.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Newegg is cheaper than Amazon almost every time. Not sure which has better customer service, delivery, return policy, etc though.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have any experience or opinion on this Samsung? The reviews make it sound like a MUCH better buy at that price than the others I'd been looking at.

The only problem if I decide to go for it is that I'm hundreds of miles from the nearest Fry's, and I'm in the process of moving so I'm not sure where to have it shipped. I would just wait, but I doubt this TV lasts for long at that price if it's as good as it sounds.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, I've been looking around CNET reviews and found that one of the higher rated 32" TVs is this Dynex TV. I've kinda been operating under the assumption that strange brand names like Dynex are ones to avoid, anyone have any input on this model? That's certainly my kind of price.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cnet has not reviewed that TV, only Cnet readers. Cnet goes through some detailed shit when they review a set, so I generally don't trust reader reviews.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    Guys I am looking for a second HDTV. This one would be for my bedroom. I will be using it with an HD TIVO and my xbox 360 will be moving back to the bedroom (so I will actually play it).

I was browsing sams today and this SEEMS like a really good T.V. and a really good deal.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=419969&pCatg=5883

thoughts?

Edit:

If you have any other suggestions my budget is absolutely no more than $500 and at least 32".

This one isn't a bad deal. Toshiba TV's generally get better reviews than the Dynex and Insignia level TV's and cost almost the same amount.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253133

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes, reader reviews are shit. The people most likely to leave reviews are those who love their equipment and those who hate their equipment, which skews the ratings heavily. Plus, users are retarded and often downgrade something because they were too dumb to figure out how to use a feature, or because they bought the wrong thing and are pissy. At the same time, any yahoo who discovers HD for the first time is going to say his TV has the best picture quality evar.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I find the reviews at http://www.hometheatermag.com/ to be useful in many cases. They also have articles that cover a lot of the recurring questions in this thread.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    They, too, are good.

Most of the dedicated HT mags are good with reviews, it's just typically hard to find your particular gear reviewed. Especially if you're looking for mid-to-low-end equipment. Panasonic, Samsung and Sony are about the lowest they tend to go.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe, I wouldn't dismiss user reviews entirely. They're mainly useful, in my opinion, to find out if there are common occurrences of serious technical problems--hardware failure and such.

Professional reviewers usually get a review unit sent from the manufacturer. They don't look at a large sample of units actually on the market, in any case (they simply can't afford to do so), so they're bound to miss certain things that could be picked up by regular users.

Mind you, I would never trust user reviews as the sole basis of my buying decision, or lend them much credence at all in regard to image quality. But that doesn't mean they're useless.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I picked up a LG 37LG50, basically their 37" 1080p LCD--$699, versus the normal $999. Thank you, Best Buy.

I'm fairly pleased at the moment--it's not a top of the line model, but the image is quite clear, and it's got an assload of different inputs: 3 HDMI, 3 Component, and more. Currently, I only have my component Xbox 360 (too old for HDMI), but I'm quite pleased for the most part. The size seems pretty good for my needs.

I'm using the 42LG50, and I'm really impressed with the quality over HDMI. 1:1 pixel mapping makes for an awesome picture, I can use my system comfortably from my recliner. I was worried about how well an HDTV would perform as a computer display, but with a digital connection at it's native resolution it's great.

One thing that I found really strange is that on a 4850 without using ATI's included DVI to HDMI dongle (but a HDMI to DVI cable, as I figured this would be the exact same thing) I'd get an analog connection to the HDTV, and the HDMI connection wouldn't carry sound. It confused the hell out of me (and looked much worse than the digital 1:1 connection,) and I still don't really understand what was going on to somehow get analog involved. So if you buy an ATI card with DVI outputs, save that DVI to HDMI dongle.

I lent a buddy my 360, so I haven't had a chance to try it out, but playing TF2 and Fallout 3 on this thing is just amazing. I think I want to save up and buy one for my father, who has impaired vision.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    ElJeffe, I wouldn't dismiss user reviews entirely. They're mainly useful, in my opinion, to find out if there are common occurrences of serious technical problems--hardware failure and such.

Professional reviewers usually get a review unit sent from the manufacturer. They don't look at a large sample of units actually on the market, in any case (they simply can't afford to do so), so they're bound to miss certain things that could be picked up by regular users.

Mind you, I would never trust user reviews as the sole basis of my buying decision, or lend them much credence at all in regard to image quality. But that doesn't mean they're useless.

Fair enough, though I usually look at AVS or something for reliability data. They're more likely to know what they're talking about, versus some guy who thinks his 720p TV is broken because it doesn't do 1080p, or something. But yeah, I guess they're not worthless, so much as of limited utility.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm using the 42LG50, and I'm really impressed with the quality over HDMI. 1:1 pixel mapping makes for an awesome picture, I can use my system comfortably from my recliner. I was worried about how well an HDTV would perform as a computer display, but with a digital connection at it's native resolution it's great.

One thing that I found really strange is that on a 4850 without using ATI's included DVI to HDMI dongle (but a HDMI to DVI cable, as I figured this would be the exact same thing) I'd get an analog connection to the HDTV, and the HDMI connection wouldn't carry sound. It confused the hell out of me (and looked much worse than the digital 1:1 connection,) and I still don't really understand what was going on to somehow get analog involved. So if you buy an ATI card with DVI outputs, save that DVI to HDMI dongle.

I lent a buddy my 360, so I haven't had a chance to try it out, but playing TF2 and Fallout 3 on this thing is just amazing. I think I want to save up and buy one for my father, who has impaired vision.

First off, I'm naturally envious of that additional 5", but then again, I'm living in modest apartment and trying to live within modest means. :)

Anyway, I haven't tried connecting it to my PC (I'm using an HP Blackbird with dual 8800GTs--yeah, I know, I'm just tired of building computers). Ultimately, I have a couple options if I wanted to do that--the obvious one is to treat it like an old CRT monitor and use one of my DVI-to-Dsub connections, but that's a less attractive option.

The other way is to use both the digital audio and video outputs--I think, but naturally, that means a lot of cables. It's something I'll have to study more. Than again, I'll need something like 70 feet of cables, whatever option I go for.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i got a sony bravia kdl-40s4100 for christmas (1080p 40" LCD) and I've been enjoying it thoroughly for games, but there seems to be some issues. My biggest problem is that there's pixelation and minor tearing when watching programs with a lot of motion, particularly sports (yes, I'm watching ESPN-HD through an HD cable box).

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the tv, especially for the price I paid ($800), but I'm starting to wonder if I could have found a better deal out there. Is that the best quality television I can get for $800?

There were a few others I was considering, but they were all either only 720p or lesser quality brands. I've been looking and looking but I can't seem to find anything else that I might like more. I've got until the end of the month before I can return it and exchange it for something else.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The pixelation and tearing is most likely the broadcast signal itself and has nothing to do with your TV. If it's a huge problem or present on most channels, contact your provider, or maybe look into someone different.

Your TV is a very good one, and one of the best for that price. How far are you sitting from the TV? The 1080p may be lost on you, so if there's a better set that's 720p, you could look into that. I'd probably keep it, though. Bravias are quality TVs.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i'm about 5-7 ft away. i...think that's close enough.

yeah, the tearing would go away when i was watching a movie or playing games, so i wasn't sure whether it was my tv or the signal. thanks for the heads up though :)

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yup, at 5-7 feet 1080p makes a difference. TV's a keeper.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    jtrain63jtrain63 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    I have a 37lg50 and am having trouble when I switch my xbox between tvs. On my Sharp Aquos the xbox can be set to 1080p. when i switch the xbox over to the LG the video blinks or i get a blank screen. The only way i can get a consistent picture is to select "optimal resolution 1368x768". Why doesnt the 1080p setting work on the LG? i am using an HDMI cable.

jtrain63 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ok so I have this rather hefty database right now, and I need to create a form for it. Now, I have no idea how to create this form, so any help would be appreciated!

The database is about soccer teams.

The form needs to be able to register different teams for different tournaments. Anyone have any pointers or ideas on how I can make such a form? Is it difficult?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jtrain63 wrote: »
    I have a 37lg50 and am having trouble when I switch my xbox between tvs. On my Sharp Aquos the xbox can be set to 1080p. when i switch the xbox over to the LG the video blinks or i get a blank screen. The only way i can get a consistent picture is to select "optimal resolution 1368x768". Why doesnt the 1080p setting work on the LG? i am using an HDMI cable.

See, that's weird. I'm getting 1080p via old-fashion component to my HDTV using the default settings, and I haven't had any problems. I can't imagine what's wrong.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    24 inch TV with me sitting 5-10 feet away. Too small?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes, definitely, though that's definitely a case of "which is it?" Because 10 feet would be nigh unwatchable, whereas 5' would just be not ideal.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's actually probably more like 3 feet to 8 feet, just depends on how I'm sitting in my bed.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Honestly I would look into 32" for that distance if you can afford it. They're not too expensive these days either, there isn't much price difference between a decent 24" or 26" and a 32".

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't say 24" is "unwatchable". I had a 19" TV in college that I was 10' from, and I survived just fine.

But if you're going for "optimum size", then that's way small, yes.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I suppose it depends on your eyesight. It would unwatchable for me since my vision starts to blur about 5' out (I don't wear my glasses around the house). Whereas a 32" I could make out.

Still, when decent 24" and 26" TVs are $400 and 32" are $500, I don't see much point in buying the smaller variety. I'd save a little longer and/or wait for prices to drop a tad bit more.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I suppose it depends on your eyesight. It would unwatchable for me since my vision starts to blur about 5' out (I don't wear my glasses around the house). Whereas a 32" I could make out.

Still, when decent 24" and 26" TVs are $400 and 32" are $500, I don't see much point in buying the smaller variety. I'd save a little longer and/or wait for prices to drop a tad bit more.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There was a deal on Dell's site offering the 32 inch Sharp Aquos for $550. I picked one up and it should be arriving some time this week. Though I have had 1080i and 1080p supporting monitors, this is my first real HD TV. The reviews were generally very good for it. I can't wait to give it is try. My old CRT has been on it's last leg for a while now. I have to fiddle with the component connectors to even get a picture and when I turn it off all settings are lost.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yeah, it looks like I'll be waiting anyway; you can't order the monitor anymore, even though the website says it's still in stock. :|

tofu on
This discussion has been closed.