As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSP Harvest Moons?

AoiAoi Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
A PSP question. Been looking into playing a Harvest Moon on the PSP, and was wondering what opinions are on them. Boy & Girl looks like they basically ported Back To Nature, which isn't a bad thing, but I played the holy hell out of that game originally, and I'm not quite sure I'm up for replaying that one again anytime soon unless there were some pretty substantial additions made.

There's also Innocent Life, the futuristic Harvest Moon, and the opinions on it seem right down the middle, so to be honest, that's the one I'm looking for opinions on the most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Aoi on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As far as I've heard, they both suck greatly. Boy and Girl graphically is a nightmare and has ridiculously long loading times. Innocent Life, to put it bluntly, just wasn't finished. Quests have no end, items don't do anything... it's a god damn joke.

Magic Pink on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Harvest Moon Boy Girl is, from what I've heard, a direct port of Back to Nature. Even down to the point where they didn't even attempt to change the aspect ratio and just stuck a border around the empty screen areas.

Harvest Moon: Innocent Life is terrible. Don't get it. It is incredibly different from other Harvest Moons for all the wrong reasons. Long, dragging days where you water your crops within the first hour and then have to find other things to pass the time or just go to sleep. A really dumb storyline with ridiculously-named characters (Dr. Hope!), and...well, it just was dull as hell.

I do not recommend this, Sam I Am.

Boy Girl might be up your alley, but if you have a GBA or DS, I'd go for Friends of Mineral Town. A lot of guys around here like Rune Factory, though it didn't really click with me very well.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PSP Harvest Moon games blow. Hell if you played BtN on your PS3 and streamed it to the PSP you'd have a better game with slightly improved loads.

On the DS side you have what, HM DS, Rune Factory, and then FoMT, and then the upcoming (I think?) Cute edition of HM DS.

HM DS is buggy, Cute fixes most of that.

Rune Factory is a really neat change, but is easy as shit.

FoMT is up there with the best.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2008
    PSP Harvest Moon games blow. Hell if you played BtN on your PS3 and streamed it to the PSP you'd have a better game with slightly improved loads.

On the DS side you have what, HM DS, Rune Factory, and then FoMT, and then the upcoming (I think?) Cute edition of HM DS.

The recent HM DS carts are all fixed so it's not nearly as bad as it was. Now that it's fixed, it's better then FOMT if only because there's so much more to do.

Magic Pink on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No DS, so it looks like I'm gonna be without portable Harvest Moon for a while. I appreciate the heads up on both the games. A shame about Innocent Life. The concept of a futuristic Harvest Moon sounded rather attractive.

Aoi on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would get a Rune Factory game for the PSP, but even the box covers for the current Harvest Moon PSP titles make them look boring as hell.

Dracomicron on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The recent HM DS carts are all fixed so it's not nearly as bad as it was. Now that it's fixed, it's better then FOMT if only because there's so much more to do.

It's still glitchier than FoMT, even with the random text in other languages. FoMT has better music too.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It's still glitchier than FoMT, even with the random text in other languages. FoMT has better music too.

That's not saying a lot. And DS has all the music from FOMT. But yeah, the glitches in DS are more serious and numerous then in FOMT but not enough to discount the game.

Magic Pink on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    -shrug- I actually really, really, really liked Innocent Life...

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
    edited January 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    No DS, so it looks like I'm gonna be without portable Harvest Moon for a while. I appreciate the heads up on both the games. A shame about Innocent Life. The concept of a futuristic Harvest Moon sounded rather attractive.

Thing is, there's not a whole lot that is particularly futuristic about it. I'm all for a proper Harvest Moon in the future, but Innocent Life is just kind of,

"Hey, you're a robot boy, and growing crops is obsolete but you have to bring back the old ways of farming to stop a volcano from blowing up 'cause its angry. Hey, look at those pipes going to places over there!"

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    -shrug- I actually really, really, really liked Innocent Life...

Okay, give me more than that. I'm still totally down for renting it if even one person can really get me interested again. So what did you like about it?
    Omeks wrote: »

Thing is, there's not a whole lot that is particularly futuristic about it. I'm all for a proper Harvest Moon in the future, but Innocent Life is just kind of,

"Hey, you're a robot boy, and growing crops is obsolete but you have to bring back the old ways of farming to stop a volcano from blowing up 'cause its angry. Hey, look at those pipes going to places over there!"

O_o

Aoi on
    edited January 2008
    Omeks wrote: »

O_o

Allow me to provide you with the back story from the instruction manual.
    Life is good for the residents of Heartflame Island*, especially since new robots and automated machines do almost all the work. But technology is a tool--not an answer to all problems. Maybe that's why everyone is a little uneasy about the old stories of strange magic and a prediction that Flame Mountain will erupt and destroy everything. That's why Dr. Hope made you--because you can open and explore ancient places where no human has venture for many years.

*Yes, the island is shaped like a heart...

Basically, you're a robot made to encourage a return to old farming ways because if they don't get away from future trends, there is a superstition that the powers of nature (or...something, I don't know) will blow the volcano because humans are all "future rocks, nature sucks." Of course, you'll also explore hostile environments, which is something I forgot to mention. The game is actually geared more towards exploration than farming.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png