Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    endlesswaltzendlesswaltz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seeing how everyone was liking it so much, I was wondering if I should get one too... But I guess I'd need to get the 4GB one which is a bit expensive for me. (I think I read someone saying that.)

I just have a question though, is there a free software that I could install to allow me to type in another language (Korean)? This is rather an important feature and I couldn't figure that out by reading the thread..

On a related topic, does anyone have this? This looks pretty darn cool too, although I think we have to wait for the next batch to be made to buy it. One Laptop

endlesswaltz on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw the XO today, and it's a good laptop for like a 5 year old.The mouse is confusing, the keys are super tiny and hard to maneuver, and its sloooow. i mean slow like a turtle. (which it kinda looks like, but its cute)

It is very sturdy, however. You could write your school paper and then use it as a +1 bashing weapon if the bullies are picking on you.

Munacra on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw a Japanese student with one of these the other day at school. I stopped and stared because I was amazed at how tiny it really was.

It was a good thirty seconds before I realized the student thought I was staring at him, and was growing increasingly confused.

But seriously, this computer is one of the neatest things I have ever seen in my life.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Munacra wrote: »
    I don't know why people are hesitant about buying this little gadget. I mean come on dudes, you won't be getting 99 layers in photoshop or editing gigs of video. You wont run crysis. But it's like the perfect laptop. perfect.

Learn to love this little beast.

What would make it perfect for me is if they upped the weight with a better battery, and removed all of the crap in the screen (minus wifi antenna), and made it all screen. Also, the built in sd drive should be easily swappable, if it isn't already. I'd pay another 150$ or so for those mods.

stigweard on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seeing how everyone was liking it so much, I was wondering if I should get one too... But I guess I'd need to get the 4GB one which is a bit expensive for me. (I think I read someone saying that.)

I just have a question though, is there a free software that I could install to allow me to type in another language (Korean)? This is rather an important feature and I couldn't figure that out by reading the thread..

On a related topic, does anyone have this? This looks pretty darn cool too, although I think we have to wait for the next batch to be made to buy it. One Laptop

Absolutely. The second post of that thread details how to install korean language support.

edit: pretty sure you'll need to enable the full xandros desktop and not the simplified one it starts with.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My biggest problem is that I cannot even get the repositories from Asus to update. It just times out. In order to get the full desktop working, I had to to download the .debs for ksmserver, advanced-desktop-eeepc, and kicker myself, so there's a problem in and of itself. I'm thinking it might be the way we've got our network setup here, but I went to Borders the other day to apt-get update and it still timed out. So I don't know what's up with that.

It's somewhat irrelevant anyway because XP will end up on here and the little machine's purpose for me is solely for work, but we all know that "work" machines imply that UT GOTY edition and Fallout will end up on it.

Edit: I tried checking to see if the package even exists, and I know it does, because the repositories I've added to the source.list have it on there. It's just that the repositories will not update, so of course it won't know it's there.

Edit, Revenge of the Edit: Apparently proofreading my sources.list would help, as typos galore! One of the packages from the sources still doesn't want to update, but I have to go by Borders again today, so I'll give it a shot there.

Also, while I'm at it, does anyone have any experience with wine? I'm trying to get Halflife to run through it but it won't recognize that the iso is there to install from. I made /mnt/iso/, dropped the iso in there, then tried

sudo mount halflife.iso /mnt/iso/ -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0

and it just shoots me back the file or directory not found error.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop /pathtofile/ /pathtomountpoint/

Then specify in winecfg that that mount point is a drive. Then you should just be able to navigate to the drive and run setup via Wine.

Or you can install Steam (via Wine) and install Half Life that way.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop /pathtofile/ /pathtomountpoint/

Then specify in winecfg that that mount point is a drive. Then you should just be able to navigate to the drive and run setup via Wine.

Or you can install Steam (via Wine) and install Half Life that way.

You, sir, are a wonderful person.

Time to waste away playing games.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Where did people order there EEE pc's from out of curiosity? I was thinking of either Amazon or Newegg, but wasn't sure if there was a reason to order from one over the other.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got mine from Newegg.

Doronron on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aside from people's posts here, I'm having a hard time finding information about the upcoming April release.

The Asus website is painful to navigate and doesn't like giving details...

Still, I'm pretty much positive that I'm going to get one of these beasts once I start school in the fall.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are any brick and mortar shops in north east carry this sucker? I want to see that sucker in person....

muninn on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woo, PC World UK is actually good for once!

They had an EEE on display (as well as some nice Asus standard laptops!) and when I turned to face it my eyes lit up :D

First impressions: it's much bigger than I anticipated, but it's also shockingly small. The keyboard is a pain to type, but then I only tried the thing for 15 minutes. The screen is surprisingly large, and I reckon Visual Studio's interface can be trimmed down enough to look at comfortably, but the keyboard could actually be a bigger problem, and I have relatively small fingers :p

The touchpad is way too sensitive, and digging around the Xandros OS I found it to be kinda wonky, there's only a 'Close' button in the Touchpad settings and twice the OS did not save my settings when I went back to check it again - I had to switch between different tabs and then close it to save. No wifi available to test out the internets.

Opened up OpenOffice Docs - after a few minutes the program crashed on me :| Luckily it had a recovery function, but it's kinda worrying that it crashed that early into the tryout. Also my thumb kept touching the touchpad, which made for an infuriating typing session.

So yeah, I'm fairly impressed. I wouldn't buy it though, knowing the refresh is coming up plus I wouldn't have much use for it if I bought a standard 15.4'' laptop, but man, if I had £250~ to throw away I'd definitely pick up a 2nd Gen model :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Woo, PC World UK is actually good for once!

They had an EEE on display (as well as some nice Asus standard laptops!) and when I turned to face it my eyes lit up :D

First impressions: it's much bigger than I anticipated, but it's also shockingly small. The keyboard is a pain to type, but then I only tried the thing for 15 minutes. The screen is surprisingly large, and I reckon Visual Studio's interface can be trimmed down enough to look at comfortably, but the keyboard could actually be a bigger problem, and I have relatively small fingers :p

The touchpad is way too sensitive, and digging around the Xandros OS I found it to be kinda wonky, there's only a 'Close' button in the Touchpad settings and twice the OS did not save my settings when I went back to check it again - I had to switch between different tabs and then close it to save. No wifi available to test out the internets.

Opened up OpenOffice Docs - after a few minutes the program crashed on me :| Luckily it had a recovery function, but it's kinda worrying that it crashed that early into the tryout. Also my thumb kept touching the touchpad, which made for an infuriating typing session.

So yeah, I'm fairly impressed. I wouldn't buy it though, knowing the refresh is coming up plus I wouldn't have much use for it if I bought a standard 15.4'' laptop, but man, if I had £250~ to throw away I'd definitely pick up a 2nd Gen model :^:

Just bear in mind it was a demo model, and the employees there likely don't know anything of Windows maintenance, much less Linux. I'm sure it's just showing signs of heavy use. :)

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Are any brick and mortar shops in north east carry this sucker? I want to see that sucker in person....

Costco once did, but research dug up that they don't any more. It was a damn shame, really.

I got mine from Amazon only because I had a $25 coupon for my SD card and as I am in the Newest of Jerseys, I get to pay tax on all things Newegg.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The only local Brick and Mortar store I know of that has this in their inventory is Best Buy, and they only sell it online.

It's kind of strange. As far as I can tell, the only places I've seen actually selling the EEE only sell it online.

Doronron on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Our 8gigs just started coming in today.

Personally I think the extra $100 isn't worth it, since you can expand it with an SD card for much less.

Brolo on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Our store sells it (MPC in the midwest). The 8G BIOS is much different that the 2G. First you can pick your boot device in the 8G version. This will allow you to put windows on a flash card and swap out the OS of you need to. That and also you have the bay on the bottom to add ram.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    4GB model does the same thing.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The only perk to spending another $100 on the 8G is the fact that it has a PCIe connecter that the SSD is attached to, so in the event your SSD bites the bullet, you can swap it out no problem. In all the other models its soldered in.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only perk to spending another $100 on the 8G is the fact that it has a PCIe connecter that the SSD is attached to, so in the event your SSD bites the bullet, you can swap it out no problem. In all the other models its soldered in.

The ironic thing is that a PCIe connector would be far more useful in the lower-end models, so you could swap out the SSD for a larger one.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    7468_maxi_ASUS_EeePC_front_Hires.jpg
    ASUS' popular Eee PC gets a screen, memory boost

The wait is nearly over for an Eee PC with a larger screen. DailyTech reported in early January that ASUS was hard at work on an 8.9" version of its wildly popular Eee PC sub-notebook. Today, images and details are finally rolling out for the highly-anticipated update.

Engadget was able to fondle ASUS's new Eee PC at CeBIT, but ASUS officials would not allow the publication to boot the machine up -- likely for fear of spilling the beans on the Eee PC's processor/chipset. However, we do know that the Eee PC 900 will feature 1GB of memory and will be available in storage capacities up to 12GB (up from 8GB max on the current Eee PC).

As previously reported, the 8.9" display will have a 1024x600 resolution which is a welcome jump from the confining 800x400 display on the first-generation Eee PC. The increase in screen real estate made a minimal impact on the exterior dimensions of the device -- the Eee PC 900 is slightly larger and thicker and features a larger touchpad. The keyboard looks to identical to the previous model.

According to Engadget, the larger display will have a negligible impact on battery performance with battery lifetime quoted at 2.5 to 3 hours.

We will have to wait until tomorrow to get the full specifications for ASUS' Eee PC 900 -- at that time, we'll learn if the new model will use a traditional Mobile Celeron processor as its predecessor or one of Intel's new Atom processors.

ASUS says that the Eee PC 900 12G will launch in mid-2008 with a price tag of €399 ($600 USD).

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bought.

Munacra on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    $600 is a little steep. Let's hope there's a cheaper version with less flash memory but the same gorgeous-looking screen.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    $600 is a little steep. Let's hope there's a cheaper version with less flash memory but the same gorgeous-looking screen.

agreed, 600 is pushing the limits of the uber cheap sub laptop. I'd definately go $450 for a 6 gig with that screen though. It looks like they just wisened up and ditched the crappy speakers.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would do it. $600 would be pushing it for me. The only problem being that I'm going to need to upgrade the ol' iBook G4 sometime soonish. The price might just put me over the edge of doing both. Excited to see what actually comes of this.

I'd love an eee to put in my camera bag.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

agreed, 600 is pushing the limits of the uber cheap sub laptop. I'd definately go $450 for a 6 gig with that screen though. It looks like they just wisened up and ditched the crappy speakers.

I think the speakers are actually pretty good, for the size of the laptop. They're remarkably clear, not very tinny at all.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oooh, nine incher...

Can anyone see themselves coding with that? I've made a screenshot of how I think I'd set up VS2005's interface (left a bit on the bottom to simulate the task bar)
    (Image quality is due to MS Paint)
    eeetestlf9.jpg
    My other choice is a Dell XPS M1550. I like the style, plus the specs are pretty amazing for £700~

My main intended use is to carry it around Uni, doing some coding work when possible. While I will carry the laptop around between lectures and whatnot, I'll put it on a desk for work and whittle the hours away on it.

I suppose it's down to price. £300~ for portablility or £700~ for a heavier, but fully fledged laptop. I could do with winning the lottery right now.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    if they put out an 8GB version of that 9" one for $400, I'll buy it without a second thought. for $600, it'll be a little harder to justify, but I'll likely still buy it. it'll be a nice device.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Oooh, nine incher...

Can anyone see themselves coding with that? I've made a screenshot of how I think I'd set up VS2005's interface (left a bit on the bottom to simulate the task bar)
    (Image quality is due to MS Paint)
    eeetestlf9.jpg
    My other choice is a Dell XPS M1550. I like the style, plus the specs are pretty amazing for £700~

My main intended use is to carry it around Uni, doing some coding work when possible. While I will carry the laptop around between lectures and whatnot, I'll put it on a desk for work and whittle the hours away on it.

I suppose it's down to price. £300~ for portablility or £700~ for a heavier, but fully fledged laptop. I could do with winning the lottery right now.

It's possible, but i think your pic is a best case scenario. I know people who can develop on tiny notebooks, i just know that I struggled using eclipse on my 12 inch g4. I enjoyed it much more using a text editor ala emacs or some such. I think it's really a question of whether or not you can do it.

I also tend to dislike developing on cinima displays b/c you see less code at a time. Anyone else annoyed by this???

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    DeI2anGeDDeI2anGeD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think I'm slowly deciding that the Eee PC isn't for me. I've gotten past the initial wow factor.

It plays some new(ish) games (crappily). Well, so does my current laptop. Buying any used laptop for $400 would almost certainly net me a better experience.

It's really small and light. This isn't a concern for me as much as I thought it was. After a few days of lugging around my laptop bag, I realized I used my bag to also store a binder w/papper a 2.75 inch acrylic contact juggling ball and a 4 inch stage ball. Alright, so... as a juggler, I'm in a bit of a different situation than most.

It is really awesome and can run linux or windows and can be tweaked and overclocked and can have up to 2 gigs of ram adde---- So can any shitty laptop.

Do people see where I'm going here? I can almost certainly buy a much better piece of equipment for the same price as buying a $400 Asus Eee, external dvdrom, SDHC card, extra memory. Is there something about the Eee I'm missing?

DeI2anGeD on
    321429-1.png

-PSN&360&steam: dei2anged
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, no dude. You don't HAVE to like it. If it doesn't satisfy your needs as a product, then of course go for something else.

The little thing is not supposed to be a state-of-the art machine that can run anything you want perfectly. It's an affordable ultra-portable that can be tweaked for a bit of extra power. I think most people got really excited when they saw old-blivion and half-life 2 being run on the machine; they ran, yes, but not in a very playable manner.

I use it for word processing, and storing notes, and schoolwork. I use budgeting software on it and sometimes I work PHP and CSS on it. I browse the web with it and IM people. It's small, light, and easy to carry. The main reason I got it for was price. I didn't want to to spend a grand for a MacBook.

edit- damn I'm like a rabid mama bear defending her baby bear.

Munacra on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munacra wrote: »

edit- damn I'm like a rabid mama bear defending her baby bear.

you're really not. It's a laptop computer. It's either got features that you want to use or one's you dont. In this case it's perfect for me. It's tiny, portable, and has enough power to run my web browsing and writing, which is all I'll use it for. The damn thing nearly fits in my pocket.

The above poster obviously wants to be able to play games and watch dvd's, so it's not for him. Which is fine.

I will say though that comparing price on this versus a traditional laptop is a little silly. They're both computers, but it's like comparing apples and macs or laptops and desktops. It's two completely different machines built for different purposes.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DeI2anGeD wrote: »
    I think I'm slowly deciding that the Eee PC isn't for me. I've gotten past the initial wow factor.

It plays some new(ish) games (crappily). Well, so does my current laptop. Buying any used laptop for $400 would almost certainly net me a better experience.

It's really small and light. This isn't a concern for me as much as I thought it was. After a few days of lugging around my laptop bag, I realized I used my bag to also store a binder w/papper a 2.75 inch acrylic contact juggling ball and a 4 inch stage ball. Alright, so... as a juggler, I'm in a bit of a different situation than most.

It is really awesome and can run linux or windows and can be tweaked and overclocked and can have up to 2 gigs of ram adde---- So can any shitty laptop.

Do people see where I'm going here? I can almost certainly buy a much better piece of equipment for the same price as buying a $400 Asus Eee, external dvdrom, SDHC card, extra memory. Is there something about the Eee I'm missing?
    Juggler, eh?
    Well the Eee PC is small and can run Jongle!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    With the form factor I'd kind of want to turn it sideways and see if using it as a reader is a worthwhile endeavor.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's funny, because I bought the Eee specifically so I wouldn't put games on it so I'd actually get work done. And what do I end up doing? External DVD and more ram coming tomorrow so I can put XP on it so I can play games better.

God I'm bad at self control.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Nah, I can certainly see that as a valid complaint against it. I picked up my eee because I don't currently own a laptop, and everything I've seen so far has either been too big or too expensive. The eee was neither, and I didn't really want anything with a whole lot of power, just something mobile that lets me type. So for my very specific needs, the eee is great. But I can't see it being a viable option for people who need it as their primary computer, or for people who are interested in games or media, simply because of the processing and storage issues.

Brolo on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

See, as a juggler/poi spinner my first thoughts are on weight.

I'm going to have my books, my notebooks, my practice poi, my contact juggling ball, and my laptop. All while, most likely, biking to class in an extremely hilly town.

The last thing I want is to add any more weight than is necessary.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man, how many jugglers are there on this forum?

Brolo on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Three

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
This discussion has been closed.