Eee PC: anyone have one?

1464749515255

Posts

  • Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Wow, the Mini9 is supposedly the best Macbook that Apple doesn't make. 299 for a Mini 9 with a 32gb SSD is hard to say no to...

    Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't get bluetooth or the webcam. The webcam I know I'll never use and I can always pop it open and add bluetooth if I ever decide I want to.

    The nice thing about the Mini 9 is the RAM isn't soldered onto the mobo, so it's upgradeable, as is the SSD.

    What are people saying about the keyboard? How does it compare to the latest Eee 1000's chiclet-style kb or the HP Mini 1000's kb?

    EDIT: ugh, it has the tiny shift key to the right of the up arrow.

    Fraz on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've heard that the keyboard's pretty nice, the only thing that looks like it might bother me is the apostrophe key which is moved down a row.

    tofu on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yep... apostrophe key is what bugs me too. Been slacking on remapping it because I think I'm getting used to it.

    I'm going to remap the backslash though... right now you have to push a function key for it.

    FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How are the Dell SSDs?

    risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Got my ASUS 1000HE Netbook a few days ago and Win7 on it, along with 2 GB of RAM. It is awesome! <3

    I'm about to put it to some major use though ... going on vacation out of the country for a week. Let's see how it holds up while travelling ...

    JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

    Steam: JC_Rooks

    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

    I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My EEE PC 1000H since October and it's been pretty great to have. I loaded Windows 7 and upgraded the ram to 2GB's in January and that all went well.

    Until about a week ago. And now it randomly locks up with weird horizontal lines going about and I have to hold down the power button for it to work again. Or the screen just goes black and I have to to, again, hold down the power button to get to start up. I'm pretty sure it's overheating, though I'm not entirely sure.

    I upgraded the BOIS last night and the horizontal line problem hasn't happened at all today which is an improvement. I had Core Temp running throughout the day and it stays at around 70-75C and if it's in my lap it can go as high as 85C which seems a bit high.
    Anyone else have these problems?

    Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm leaning toward the 10-inch Mini 1000 for $329 on Amazon. (HP Mini 1120NR 10.2-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 16 GB Hard Drive, Mobile Internet Experience Software, 3 Cell Battery))

    It's more of a looker than the Eee and the keyboard looks comfy.

    The 3-cell battery is the weakest link.

    What do you guys think?

    Fraz on
  • FatsFats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Posting from an 1000HE, this thing is awesome. I thought the keyboard would be hard to type on but it's really quite nice. I'm a little sad I bought this as a gift and can't keep it. :(

    I do wish the screen had a larger resolution (1280x720 would be perfect). Maybe the upcoming Ion netbooks will rectify that.

    Fats on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    Posting from an 1000HE, this thing is awesome. I thought the keyboard would be hard to type on but it's really quite nice. I'm a little sad I bought this as a gift and can't keep it. :(

    I do wish the screen had a larger resolution (1280x720 would be perfect). Maybe the upcoming Ion netbooks will rectify that.

    This is where things start to get hairy in terms of nomenclature, because an LCD panel capable of 1280x720 starts getting in the slightly less wieldy category. I don't want to start the netbook vs. subnotebook vs. whatever-the-hell-else-we're-calling-them argument again, but the whole idea is portability. You ramp up the size of the panel and, while not at all the principle factor, the battery gets sapped more because they'll be able to shove more things in. That means a bigger, heavier battery. It starts to add up and then all of a sudden you've just got yourself a laptop.
    This was the main deciding factor for me when I was trying to pick between the 901 and the HE.


    I'm really pumped about Ion though, in theory at least. I'm curious to see what they're going to be able to pull off with it.

    Mustachio Jones on
  • FatsFats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I definitely wouldn't want a physically larger screen, just one that's more pixel dense. I don't think it'd affect battery life too badly, since you're still backlighting the same area.

    Fats on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't want a physically larger screen, just one that's more pixel dense. I don't think it'd affect battery life too badly, since you're still backlighting the same area.

    I really should stop posting ten minutes before I go to bed. After mucking about with a friend's 1000H, it seemed like the resolution it was toting was too low for the panel. It might've just been the way he had it setup, or lack thereof, with gigantic XP icons and the default XP theme. Just seemed big. Better panels though would probably ramp up the price a bit. Every dollar starts to count when you've got full-fledged machines, and competition, under $400.

    Mustachio Jones on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Asus also announced yesterday the 1002HA. Basically the 1002H with an N280.

    wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Asus also announced yesterday the 1002HA. Basically the 1002H with an N280.

    Have any other manufacturers announced N280 models?

    Fraz on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With all this hooting about OnLIVE and shit, has anyone had any real solid experience with StreamMyGame? I found it works well enough (locally) but the 640x480 limitation bugs me, due to not being the proper aspect ratio.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Trying to figure out Truecrypt with this thing. It is frustrating me.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been keeping up with this thread for the past few months and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the 1000HE. I'm currently lacking anything resembling a laptop. I'm a physics major and I have use for Matlab and Maple. You guys think 1000HE could handle either one of these programs? I'm fine with slow, I would just like the option to use them.

    Edit: I'm weak. My 1000HE will be here on Friday.

    Ash-Housewares on
    Steam ID: Ash-Housewares | Twitch: Ash_Housewares
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have an Eee PC 1000H (which the 1000HE is supposed to be better than), and MATLAB runs just fine on it. I mean, it's a little slow obviously, this is no powerhouse computer or anything, but it works well enough for normal work. I haven't tried Maple, but I can imagine you'd get similar results.

    Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My little 900 is currently my main computer, since my real main computer just blew up a little bit. It's now hooked up to my 17" monitor, my keyboard and my mouse. Kind of feels just like I'm using the slowest desktop known to man.

    Khavall on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't want a physically larger screen, just one that's more pixel dense. I don't think it'd affect battery life too badly, since you're still backlighting the same area.

    I really should stop posting ten minutes before I go to bed. After mucking about with a friend's 1000H, it seemed like the resolution it was toting was too low for the panel. It might've just been the way he had it setup, or lack thereof, with gigantic XP icons and the default XP theme. Just seemed big. Better panels though would probably ramp up the price a bit. Every dollar starts to count when you've got full-fledged machines, and competition, under $400.

    I'm late to this, but: They can't raise the resolution above 1024x600 and still get Windows XP licenses, because Microsoft is retarded.

    This is also why netbooks don't ship with RAM over 1GB, SSDs over 16 GB, or hard drives over 160GB. Unless they're shipped with Linux, anyway.

    Daedalus on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there a reliable way to run Microsoft Office on Linux?

    tofu on
  • FatsFats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't want a physically larger screen, just one that's more pixel dense. I don't think it'd affect battery life too badly, since you're still backlighting the same area.

    I really should stop posting ten minutes before I go to bed. After mucking about with a friend's 1000H, it seemed like the resolution it was toting was too low for the panel. It might've just been the way he had it setup, or lack thereof, with gigantic XP icons and the default XP theme. Just seemed big. Better panels though would probably ramp up the price a bit. Every dollar starts to count when you've got full-fledged machines, and competition, under $400.

    I'm late to this, but: They can't raise the resolution above 1024x600 and still get Windows XP licenses, because Microsoft is retarded.

    This is also why netbooks don't ship with RAM over 1GB, SSDs over 16 GB, or hard drives over 160GB. Unless they're shipped with Linux, anyway.

    The Dell Mini 10 is now offering a 1366x768 screen as an option, and appears to still come with XP.

    Fats on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't want a physically larger screen, just one that's more pixel dense. I don't think it'd affect battery life too badly, since you're still backlighting the same area.

    I really should stop posting ten minutes before I go to bed. After mucking about with a friend's 1000H, it seemed like the resolution it was toting was too low for the panel. It might've just been the way he had it setup, or lack thereof, with gigantic XP icons and the default XP theme. Just seemed big. Better panels though would probably ramp up the price a bit. Every dollar starts to count when you've got full-fledged machines, and competition, under $400.

    I'm late to this, but: They can't raise the resolution above 1024x600 and still get Windows XP licenses, because Microsoft is retarded.

    This is also why netbooks don't ship with RAM over 1GB, SSDs over 16 GB, or hard drives over 160GB. Unless they're shipped with Linux, anyway.

    The Dell Mini 10 is now offering a 1366x768 screen as an option, and appears to still come with XP.

    Huh. Maybe the limit was 768 lines, instead. I remember there were a whole bunch of seemingly arbitrary limits, though. (That was the reason why only the Linux-based Mini9 would come with large SSDs.)

    Daedalus on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The two flavors of the 901 also come with different sized SSDs, but I always thought that they just gave the Linux one a bigger SSD to make the price match the XP license.

    Mustachio Jones on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cancelling my Dell Mini 9 order and instead buying a 1000HE was the best thing I've done all year.

    Still loving it a month later.

    Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • KatoKato Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Posting on my Dell Mini 9. Great little system for just what I want...surfing the web and listening to a few tunes. Keyboard didn't take too long to get too, other than the hypostophe and quotation key, as it has been noted here before. I have a 16 gig ssd...works well. Can't do much multi-tasking, but that is just fine. New installs go a little slow, but that is just due to the ssd. They will be much better when they make them faster, but I really really did not want a spinning hard drive in this tiny little thing. This works out just great, good battery life and no sound. It's awesome.

    Kato on
    Signature??
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basically what everyone is saying is that unless you buy something that doesn't work or has a shitty battery life, you'll be happy. We even have people happy with Dell Minis.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Huh. Maybe the limit was 768 lines, instead. I remember there were a whole bunch of seemingly arbitrary limits, though. (That was the reason why only the Linux-based Mini9 would come with large SSDs.)

    It annoys me so much that they're up to the same old shenanigans with Windows 7

    Fraz on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Out of curiosity, what shenanigans are people talking about?

    Ego on
    Erik
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basically what everyone is saying is that unless you buy something that doesn't work or has a shitty battery life, you'll be happy. We even have people happy with Dell Minis.

    I think you'd be hard pressed to find something that's as good a bargain as the Mini 9.

    tofu on
  • HamurabiHamurabi AmsterdamRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Basically what everyone is saying is that unless you buy something that doesn't work or has a shitty battery life, you'll be happy. We even have people happy with Dell Minis.

    I think you'd be hard pressed to find something that's as good a bargain as the Mini 9.

    I thought the Mini 2140 was the bee's-knees a few weeks ago ...?

    Hamurabi on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you can get the mini 9 for incredibly cheap now (if you live in the states)

    Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fine, I'm talking out of my ass.
    April Fools?

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    Basically what everyone is saying is that unless you buy something that doesn't work or has a shitty battery life, you'll be happy. We even have people happy with Dell Minis.

    I think you'd be hard pressed to find something that's as good a bargain as the Mini 9.

    I thought the Mini 2140 was the bee's-knees a few weeks ago ...?

    The HP Mini 2140 starts at over $400.

    I purchased a Dell Mini 9 for a smidge over $200 after tax and shipping.

    soooooooooooooooo...

    tofu on
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what shenanigans are people talking about?

    Here's a quote from Paul Thurrot. He installed Windows 7 Starter Edition. I suppose these things could change, but it's there now. My biggest beef is with the 3 app limit. I'm pretty sure they'll let you get around the wallpaper thing. Also, I'm hoping enterprising hackers will find ways to circumvent any limitations in Windows 7 Starter.
    There are some surprises in Starter edition. There's only a single grayed-out version of the default beta wallpaper, and no obvious way to change the wallpaper. There are no additional wallpapers on the system, and none of the usual wallpaper changing methods work. (Even installing Windows Live Photo Gallery doesn't work: The Set as wallpaper option remains, but doesn't do anything.) Starter edition also includes a bare-bones set of games and lacks the niceties we've come to expect from mainstream Windows versions, including Media Center and DVD Maker. Needless to say, I installed this build on a netbook, and was able to trigger the three application limit pretty easily.

    Original Link with pictures

    Fraz on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    So anti-virus, firewall and one other?

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So anti-virus, firewall and one other?

    anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware.

    Daedalus on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fraz wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what shenanigans are people talking about?

    Here's a quote from Paul Thurrot. He installed Windows 7 Starter Edition. I suppose these things could change, but it's there now. My biggest beef is with the 3 app limit. I'm pretty sure they'll let you get around the wallpaper thing. Also, I'm hoping enterprising hackers will find ways to circumvent any limitations in Windows 7 Starter.
    There are some surprises in Starter edition. There's only a single grayed-out version of the default beta wallpaper, and no obvious way to change the wallpaper. There are no additional wallpapers on the system, and none of the usual wallpaper changing methods work. (Even installing Windows Live Photo Gallery doesn't work: The Set as wallpaper option remains, but doesn't do anything.) Starter edition also includes a bare-bones set of games and lacks the niceties we've come to expect from mainstream Windows versions, including Media Center and DVD Maker. Needless to say, I installed this build on a netbook, and was able to trigger the three application limit pretty easily.

    Original Link with pictures

    Isn't starter the one for developing nations that isn't even getting released here? Am I missing something?

    risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    Fraz wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what shenanigans are people talking about?

    Here's a quote from Paul Thurrot. He installed Windows 7 Starter Edition. I suppose these things could change, but it's there now. My biggest beef is with the 3 app limit. I'm pretty sure they'll let you get around the wallpaper thing. Also, I'm hoping enterprising hackers will find ways to circumvent any limitations in Windows 7 Starter.
    There are some surprises in Starter edition. There's only a single grayed-out version of the default beta wallpaper, and no obvious way to change the wallpaper. There are no additional wallpapers on the system, and none of the usual wallpaper changing methods work. (Even installing Windows Live Photo Gallery doesn't work: The Set as wallpaper option remains, but doesn't do anything.) Starter edition also includes a bare-bones set of games and lacks the niceties we've come to expect from mainstream Windows versions, including Media Center and DVD Maker. Needless to say, I installed this build on a netbook, and was able to trigger the three application limit pretty easily.

    Original Link with pictures

    Isn't starter the one for developing nations that isn't even getting released here? Am I missing something?

    You could be right. But I thought it was supposed to be Microsoft's answer for the cheaper Linux licenses (LOL free)

    Fraz on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh. I realize MS can make any form of software they want, but that sounds retarded.

    Oh well, I think the developing world is probably better off sticking with linux anyways.

    Ego on
    Erik
This discussion has been closed.