Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    endlesswaltzendlesswaltz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    $600 is a little steep. Let's hope there's a cheaper version with less flash memory but the same gorgeous-looking screen.

agreed, 600 is pushing the limits of the uber cheap sub laptop. I'd definately go $450 for a 6 gig with that screen though. It looks like they just wisened up and ditched the crappy speakers.

I think the speakers are actually pretty good, for the size of the laptop. They're remarkably clear, not very tinny at all.

I was almost certain that I was going to buy the 4GB one, but now I'm torn and I wonder if I should wait till the next one (with... better resolution stuff..) comes out in April! *tears hair out*

endlesswaltz on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    $600 is a little steep. Let's hope there's a cheaper version with less flash memory but the same gorgeous-looking screen.

agreed, 600 is pushing the limits of the uber cheap sub laptop. I'd definately go $450 for a 6 gig with that screen though. It looks like they just wisened up and ditched the crappy speakers.

I think the speakers are actually pretty good, for the size of the laptop. They're remarkably clear, not very tinny at all.

I was almost certain that I was going to buy the 4GB one, but now I'm torn and I wonder if I should wait till the next one (with... better resolution stuff..) comes out in April! *tears hair out*

April, who said April? all I've heard is "Later this year"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    Man, how many jugglers are there on this forum?

crusty jugglers

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    have any of you guys tried Dwarf Fortress on one of these?

Stregone on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe this is a bit ridiculous but..does it have a cd/dvd rom drive? D:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, it doesn't. This thing is small enough that even a slimline DVD drive would take up two-thirds of the computer's space.

You'll need to get an external USB model if you don't already own one. Depending on the software you intend to use, you'll likely only need the external drive once to install anything that didn't come as a digital purchase from somewhere.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Could I possibly get some first hand impressions of typing on these? My situation...

I'm currently doing my masters and I'm thinking I would like a laptop for my writing phase so I can travel and still have full access to my work. This thing seems perfect for heading down to the beach and working on my thesis. But thesis = a lot of typing. Are you people able to comfortably type on these for extended periods? And I'm looking at typing = full 10 finger touch typing with consistent accuracy.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't have many problems with typing on it, but I do have really skinny fingers.

It's worth mentioning that the punctuation keys are slightly smaller width-wise than the rest of the keys, so I do sometimes accidentally hit the apostrophe key instead of the semicolon one, and the slash instead of the period.

On an entirely different note, has anyone tried any of the alternative Linux distros available for this thing? I'm doing surprisingly well with the stuff that's on there by default, but I'm afraid I'm going to break it at some point by installing stuff from outside repositories.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was in the market for a laptop to begin with because I'm writing a play for school. So far the keyboard is far better than I ever could have imagined. You really do get used to it rather quickly, but it depends on familiarity with a keyboard (of which I don't think is a problem for you) and hand size. My hands aren't small, but they're by no means big.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I type about 100 wpm, so I'm really worried I'll end up throwing the little guy out a window in frustration. And the main problem is I'm in Victoria, BC; the EEE doesn't seem to be carried in store anywhere so I can't test it out beforehand. Mayhaps a trip to Seattle is in order. In the meantime all I can do is request people do my testing for me :)

I'll throw out a couple other questions that haven't really been answered. I've heard the screen is an adequate size for "not squinting while typing", but they never mention posture. Would this be functional for a couple hours of typing? Additionally, with such a small screen do your hands tend to get in the way of your view?

I appreciate any generic usage comments I can get. This is the first time I've actually WANTED customer testamonials.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Typing is great on this. The keys are responsive and large enough to get accustomed to quite fast. The only thing I have to watch out for is that I'm naturally inclined to use the right shift key for capitalizing letters, and on the EEE, that thing is half size and right beside the up arrow.

Other than that, I have no difficulty actually getting work done on this. I use it as a traveling writing office.

Posture and typing: I sit normally with this while at a table. I stand normally using this at a counter top. I don't find any need to get closer to the screen.

Hands and screen: You tend to angle the screen on this at a wider angle than you would a regular laptop -- you're looking a bit further down. The result is that your hands do not get in the way of the screen.

I regularly run the batteries down on mine. I've had no soreness or odd twinges from sitting in front of it for long periods.

Doronron on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I type about 100 wpm, so I'm really worried I'll end up throwing the little guy out a window in frustration. And the main problem is I'm in Victoria, BC; the EEE doesn't seem to be carried in store anywhere so I can't test it out beforehand. Mayhaps a trip to Seattle is in order. In the meantime all I can do is request people do my testing for me :)

I'll throw out a couple other questions that haven't really been answered. I've heard the screen is an adequate size for "not squinting while typing", but they never mention posture. Would this be functional for a couple hours of typing? Additionally, with such a small screen do your hands tend to get in the way of your view?

I appreciate any generic usage comments I can get. This is the first time I've actually WANTED customer testamonials.

Isn't there an NCIX Retail front in Victoria? They should have one on display.

stigweard on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The keyboard is really one of those things you'd have to try out yourself for extensive periods. I pop in and out of PC World UK, fiddling with the EEE from time to time and I've gradually come accustomed to the keyboard size (at first I hated it), but I still find the keys still a bit too tiny - mainly the punctuation keys and the backspace.

If you can wait a bit longer that 8.9" is coming out soon (well... probably summer), although I'm not sure if they've increased the keyboard size or not.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    The keyboard is really one of those things you'd have to try out yourself for extensive periods. I pop in and out of PC World UK, fiddling with the EEE from time to time and I've gradually come accustomed to the keyboard size (at first I hated it), but I still find the keys still a bit too tiny - mainly the punctuation keys and the backspace.

If you can wait a bit longer that 8.9" is coming out soon (well... probably summer), although I'm not sure if they've increased the keyboard size or not.

From the looks of the photos, it is the same dimensions, without the speakers on the sides or the camera up top. I would wager it uses the same keyboard.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    stigweard wrote: »
    Airan wrote: »

From the looks of the photos, it is the same dimensions, without the speakers on the sides or the camera up top. I would wager it uses the same keyboard.

there were some comparison shots up on engadget between the 8" and 8.9", and the 8.9" is *slightly* bigger. Not really enough to make a difference, but it is not the same dimensions.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've typed essays on the thing, but I am a....petite(?) guy?

Munacra on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's supposed to be half a centimeter larger across the keyboard. Not enough to make a difference.

Brolo on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Typing on the thing really depends on hand size. I've got some medium to largish hands for a guy and typing on it is a pain. My hands are probably large compared to the average computer user's hands.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can afford to wait a little while for the price to drop and get slightly better specs at the same time. Even so, I must say this looks like a beautiful little machine.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was reading the eee pc forums and it's amazing what the mod community has done to that thing. One guy dropped about two grand total into his, and aside from sheer processing power, it's better than the macbook air in every aspect.

Also, asus seems to be pretty cool with said mod community. I know they had that problem with putting the warranty seal over the ram expansion slot, and from the stories I've read, unless you just really do something to mess it up, they've been pretty good with letting you open it and keep your warranty. I don't think it's applying to the touch screen mods, but ram, and the internal USB connectors and such are covered still.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know they had that problem with putting the warranty seal over the ram expansion slot,

Part of the reason they had a problem was because it's illegal to do in Australia and quite a few other places.

noobert on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Buy this now and sell when the new type's second edition(intel chip) comes out? Or just wait it out until the end of this year when that type comes out?

Guess I'm wondering how easy it will be reselling this when I'm done with it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Buy this now and sell when the new type's second edition(intel chip) comes out? Or just wait it out until the end of this year when that type comes out?

Guess I'm wondering how easy it will be reselling this when I'm done with it.

You could probably get half of what you paid.

I'm probably gonna buy an atom/9inch one or whatever they have in the summer, and give my current one to my dad.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If it can play maple story (:|) I guess I can give it to my cousins when/if I buy the newer one.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, it's April. Any news on the 900 series?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    So, it's April. Any news on the 900 series?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was pretty much all set to buy a 701 when I remembered that this was supposed to be coming out. I need information but Google-fu is not very effective.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    yu guys don't want to wait until june for the intel processor?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    yu guys don't want to wait until june for the intel processor?

link?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Diamondville comes out in june, the 900 was originally delayed to june so people assumed it was because they were going to be using diamondville, but now the new rumors are that the 900's will be coming out earlier, which pretty much quashes the diamonville/atom theory

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I honestly don't give a fuck about Atom, I just want a slightly larger screen. After seeing the thing in person, it's the only feature that it's lacking in.

It doesn't even need to be very much larger. Just a little bit.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bam.

This thing is beautiful. I hope that the $600 tag comes down state-side.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I honestly don't give a fuck about Atom, I just want a slightly larger screen. After seeing the thing in person, it's the only feature that it's lacking in.

I'm actually completely waiting for Atom to come. Atom is a processor designed specifically for machines like the EEE. Intel has pretty much tailor made the processor for it. They've released the specs on the chips, and the lowest end atom chip will have a power output of something sick like 0.3 Watts while being a dual core over 1GHz.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

I'm actually completely waiting for Atom to come. Atom is a processor designed specifically for machines like the EEE. Intel has pretty much tailor made the processor for it. They've released the specs on the chips, and the lowest end atom chip will have a power output of something sick like 0.3 Watts while being a dual core over 1GHz.

Well, I should have said I don't care about Atom specifically. Now, if Atom, or some other core, or something, could let them remove that fan in there without causing problems, I'd be all over it. A laptop with no internal moving parts? Sign me the fuck up.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't mean to derail this thread at all, but has anyone heard anything about the new HP Mini? From what I've seen it's been getting really good reviews and it's keyboard is bigger than the Eee's. Might be a solution for people who are looking for a tiny laptop, but are wary of the Eee's small keyboard size.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but I hear it's going to be 2-3x as expensive.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Nibble wrote: »
    Yeah, but I hear it's going to be 2-3x as expensive.

Yea it's a bit pricer than the Eee. The lowest end is like mid to high 400s. With the highest end model going for $599.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    the eee 901 is currently $600

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    the eee 901 is currently $600

I stand corrected then. They're abouts the same price (9" models that is). I'm seriously thinking about forgoing an Eee for the HP Mini.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    We only know that one model of the eee 900 will be $600. There are four models of the 700 series, for instance.

Also, I thought the HP mini wasn't out yet either?

Daedalus on
This discussion has been closed.