Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the HP mini came out last week.

I do think we'll see cheaper products when Atom comes out, or at the very least more powerful machines for the price. the HP one is really compelling, just needs a better processor, thoes VIA's are pieces of shit. Dell is coming out with an 8.9" laptop in June(confirmed by Michael Dell himself), Acer has their's coming sometime soon.

the OLPC and the EEE have really kickstarted an entirely new market segment, and I'm really excited for it. I'm really interested to see what dell does, since Michael Dell promised that their machien will be under $500. If it's similar spec to the HP for $500, I'll probalby pick that up, as long as it has Atom.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why couldn't all of this smaller-cheaper laptop trend happen when I was starting college rather then ending it?

Ah well, I still have plenty of use for one of these cheap little buggers. I think I'm going to wait until the market sorts itself out a bit and after I have, like, a real job. that pays me.

with money.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know how intune everyone is with Tech Journalism here, but Devorak seems to hate these computers so much calling them failures.

I have no idea why. Its a pain in the ass to drag my MacBook everywhere (12.1" is the magic screen size for portability).

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    I don't know how intune everyone is with Tech Journalism here, but Devorak seems to hate these computers so much calling them failures.

I have no idea why. Its a pain in the ass to drag my MacBook everywhere (12.1" is the magic screen size for portability).

Shit, then I'm fucking sold.

Dvorak has been saying the opposite of truth for ever since I've heard of him.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Shit, then I'm fucking sold.

Dvorak has been saying the opposite of truth for ever since I've heard of him.

It's so true. But the thing is he eventually comes around to being right on products. It took him forever to start blogging, and he just recently got into Twitter after shitting on it for about 6 months.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So... no release yet?

That HP does look pretty nice, but I don't know that I'm quite ready to commit to any of these just yet.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    what the fuck is wrong with these notebook makers that they cant understand that ports should not be on the right side at all when someone plugs an external mouse in, there probably going to be prone to having other things pluged in as well. These things with wires hanging out of the right side of your notebook get in the fucking way of your mouse. Why is this hard to understand, I would think after so many years this would be basic logic at this point.

I am >< to getting an eee pc, but the 9" ones are really expensive.....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eee pc 900 May 12th $550 zomg:

http://gizmodo.com/381768/asus-eee-pc-900-hits-us-may-12-for-549

If I wasn't broke I'd buy one. So powerful and light for the price.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone know if there are any stores out there that has either Eees or HP Minis out on display? I want to buy one for myself as a reward of sorts for finishing this semester of school. But I'd kinda like a hands on before I make my decision for which one I buy.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    what the fuck is wrong with these notebook makers that they cant understand that ports should not be on the right side at all when someone plugs an external mouse in, there probably going to be prone to having other things pluged in as well. These things with wires hanging out of the right side of your notebook get in the fucking way of your mouse. Why is this hard to understand, I would think after so many years this would be basic logic at this point.

What the fuck? What is your mouse cord like 4" or something?

Satan. on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    These machines couldn't have come out at a better time, as I'm just about to start grad school and I've been looking for a new laptop anyway (since my 12" Powerbook is over 4.5 years old).

It was assumed, given my <3 of most everything Apple that I'd be getting a Macbook Pro, but I'm really not so sure now. If they still offered a 12" model, it'd be a no brainer. Hell, if they offered a 13" Pro I'd consider it.

But because they don't and I'm not sure I want to lug around a 15" notebook to work and class every day, I'm leaning heavily toward the HP (assuming they update them with Atoms during the summer). I'm mostly waiting for someone to post a teardown of the HP so I can see how easy they are to upgrade the RAM/HDD. I'll probably just buy the cheapest one, throw in some RAM and dual boot it if I can. I'm also intrigued by the upcoming Dell version.

Now, if Apple would get off their ass and produce something similar in a similar form factor, I'd gladly pay the Apple Tax on it. But assuming they started working on one when they saw the success of the eeePC (which is highly doubtful) who knows when it will be out.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

Have you actually ever tried using a mouse with a laptop with cords coming out of the right side of it? Having a mouse 6" to the right of where you normally use it becuase of cords hanging out of your laptop, trying to play games in this manner is impossible as well. Ever use a laptop on a podium? The main places I use a laptop, and have seen others use a laptop, theres no room to place a mouse besides in the "jungle" of the cords. It ends up making the laptop just inconvient enough that you cant use a touchpad (I dont know if this is a consensus, but ever see someone up on a podium trying to use a touchpad during a presentation and not look like an idiot?), while the cords on the right ruin the ability to use a mouse.

Now cords on the left could ruin it for the lefties, but most lefties I know just got used to a right handed mouse anyways. I dont see a reason why it cant be done this way, I do understand that it puts a kink in things when the back space is taken up by the battery (At least I think it takes up around 80% of the back facing)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    powersurge wrote: »
    Eee pc 900 May 12th $550 zomg:

http://gizmodo.com/381768/asus-eee-pc-900-hits-us-may-12-for-549

If I wasn't broke I'd buy one. So powerful and light for the price.

Man, I don't like that price. I really just wanted the old eee with a bigger screen. I'm going to have a hard time deciding between this and the mini-note and whatever offerings come out over the next few months.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'd love the mini-note if it wasn't running with a fucking Via C7.

Man, that is more money than I thought they'd charge for the eee, though. I guess it's probably got something to do with the U.S. dollar being in the fucking toilet right now, but still.

edit: I guess what I'm saying is that whichever laptop maker puts out an Atom-based microcheap laptop instead of this Celeron and Via bullshit gets my sale.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Have you actually ever tried using a mouse with a laptop with cords coming out of the right side of it? Having a mouse 6" to the right of where you normally use it becuase of cords hanging out of your laptop, trying to play games in this manner is impossible as well. Ever use a laptop on a podium? The main places I use a laptop, and have seen others use a laptop, theres no room to place a mouse besides in the "jungle" of the cords. It ends up making the laptop just inconvient enough that you cant use a touchpad (I dont know if this is a consensus, but ever see someone up on a podium trying to use a touchpad during a presentation and not look like an idiot?), while the cords on the right ruin the ability to use a mouse.

Now cords on the left could ruin it for the lefties, but most lefties I know just got used to a right handed mouse anyways. I dont see a reason why it cant be done this way, I do understand that it puts a kink in things when the back space is taken up by the battery (At least I think it takes up around 80% of the back facing)

Yes? About half the professors at my university use laptops with an external mouse (I work on campus A/V support). Pull the cord off to the side, behind the laptop or what have you. If you only have 3-4" on the right side of your laptop anyway, you probably shouldn't be using an external mouse or should get off the tiny ass podium. Touchpads aren't that bad to begin with, especially the new big ones on the MacBook Air and Pro.

Satan. on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

There are a grand total of 3 ports on the right side of the Eee: 2 USB in the middle, 1 VGA near the back. I don't think it would be an issue to mouse even if you have all the ports on the right side occupied (I haven't had any problems with it).

There's another USB port on the left side if you absolutely can't bear to have anything plugged in near where your mouse is plugged in.

If there isn't enough room on the podium to hold an Eee + mouse (which even together is still a smaller footprint than many laptops), then your university/company/whatever seriously needs to get some bigger podiums and/or work on cable management.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My desk at home has less than 5 inches for mouse space. so having the right side of any laptop taking up an extra 5 inches of space is a lot.

everyone ignored the other comment where mice are normally next to the keyboard, so having ports on the right side moving the mouse away from it's usual position causes a comfort issue.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    My desk at home has less than 5 inches for mouse space. so having the right side of any laptop taking up an extra 5 inches of space is a lot.

everyone ignored the other comment where mice are normally next to the keyboard, so having ports on the right side moving the mouse away from it's usual position causes a comfort issue.

Either get a bigger desk (really, five inches?) or throw the cord behind the laptop. It's not like you have to connect a parallel port. Does a USB plug really take up that much room? Also, as noted but so nicely ignored, the Eee has a USB port on the other side.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »

There are a grand total of 3 ports on the right side of the Eee: 2 USB in the middle, 1 VGA near the back. I don't think it would be an issue to mouse even if you have all the ports on the right side occupied (I haven't had any problems with it).

There's another USB port on the left side if you absolutely can't bear to have anything plugged in near where your mouse is plugged in.

If there isn't enough room on the podium to hold an Eee + mouse (which even together is still a smaller footprint than many laptops), then your university/company/whatever seriously needs to get some bigger podiums and/or work on cable management.

Im sorry, I was looking at the HP one, basicly all the ports are on the right side on that. on the Eee, isnt the memory card slot on the right as well? I knew another usb port is on another side so it isnt a huge issue with them.

Why did you say "the touchpads on x and y laptops arent bad!" when were talking about compact ones and not fullsized ones? what do you mean get off the podium? if Im at the podium using a computer, its probably for a presentation. part of these laptops appeal is that its cheap, so maybe a mac or a new desk/podium is out of the question in the first place....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Im sorry, I was looking at the HP one, basicly all the ports are on the right side on that. on the Eee, isnt the memory card slot on the right as well? I knew another usb port is on another side so it isnt a huge issue with them.

Why did you say "the touchpads on x and y laptops arent bad!" when were talking about compact ones and not fullsized ones? what do you mean get off the podium? if Im at the podium using a computer, its probably for a presentation. part of these laptops appeal is that its cheap, so maybe a mac or a new desk/podium is out of the question in the first place....

You're starting to make very little sense. Quote what posts you're responding to instead of quoting one and responding to all of them.

Touchpads aren't that bad to work with. I said the larger touchpads were nicer, not to ignore all other touchpads. Again, the Eee has tons of space around it. Other 'compact' laptops have tons of space around it -- that's why they're compact in the first place. Complaining about a USB plug is pretty silly.

Satan. on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have a thread in the H/A forum on this, but thought I'd ask here as well. I was looking at picking up one of the 4G Surfs, and noticed they had "refurbished" (open box?) units on Amazon for $290. I'm really tempted to pick one up, but wanted to see if anybody here has had any experience with that before. I'm nervous about getting a lemon..though they do have a 30-day return policy. Y/n?

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Did Asus, or did they not, stop that whole weird RAM issue on the surfs? The one with, if I remember correctly, soldered in 512 that couldn't be upgraded? I thought I saw somewhere that this wasn't an issue anymore.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Either get a bigger desk (really, five inches?) or throw the cord behind the laptop. It's not like you have to connect a parallel port. Does a USB plug really take up that much room? Also, as noted but so nicely ignored, the Eee has a USB port on the other side.
    I was talking about more ports on the right side than left in gerneral, not specific to the eee.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Did Asus, or did they not, stop that whole weird RAM issue on the surfs? The one with, if I remember correctly, soldered in 512 that couldn't be upgraded? I thought I saw somewhere that this wasn't an issue anymore.

That was only ever on the 2G, if I recall correctly. The problem with the 4G Surf was that some units didn't have an easy-access panel and needed some serious disassembly to upgrade the RAM.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That was only ever on the 2G, if I recall correctly. The problem with the 4G Surf was that some units didn't have an easy-access panel and needed some serious disassembly to upgrade the RAM.

Ah, okay, is that still the case with some Surfs?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If you find one from one of the older batches, I suppose.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

My 4G Surf doesn't have the memory-access hatch. I think it's pretty random whether or not you end up with it.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Newer ones shouldn't have it. I haven't received any at the store that don't have the bottom panel since December or so.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    Newer ones shouldn't have it. I haven't received any at the store that don't have the bottom panel since December or so.

What store do you work a that has Eees out and about? I haven't been able to get my hands on one, and I would really like to try it before I buy it.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

What store do you work a that has Eees out and about? I haven't been able to get my hands on one, and I would really like to try it before I buy it.

Canada Computers, if you live anywhere in the Ontario region.

Brolo on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've started to get interested in buying one of these. Obviously I can use it for word processing etc, but I'm afraid I don't know much about OSes - it's Linux, right? I travel a lot, and mostly play games while travelling - could I play old stuff like Planescape Torment, Diablo 2, Civ, X-com on this?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I've started to get interested in buying one of these. Obviously I can use it for word processing etc, but I'm afraid I don't know much about OSes - it's Linux, right? I travel a lot, and mostly play games while travelling - could I play old stuff like Planescape Torment, Diablo 2, Civ, X-com on this?

If you installed Windows.

I mean, some of that stuff might run under Wine (Windows compatability layer for Linux), but there's no guarantee.

Oh, but I heard Diablo 2 doesn't quite work right because the screen doesn't support 800x600.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Depending on which version you want, you can get the 4G XP for $399. I got one a couple days ago, and I think it's been great so far. XP runs fine on it (a little slow sometimes, but nothing too bad, and it's an easy fix).

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm playing Baldur's Gate 2 on my EEEpc 701, and it's awesome.

Brolo on
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just ordered the 4G Black one on Newegg.

I have a Macbook, but I wanted a tiny laptop. How does Ubuntu run on these?

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

If you installed Windows.

I mean, some of that stuff might run under Wine (Windows compatability layer for Linux), but there's no guarantee.

Oh, but I heard Diablo 2 doesn't quite work right because the screen doesn't support 800x600.

You just have to make a little clip that goes into two of the ports on the monitor out. It rescales the screen and fixes the crappy default resolution. They even sell them now in the form of little plastic covers with the metal pins attached that just slip on.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I ran an update for the USB/SD Card slot, and now it won't read anything. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    OK, I've decided to buy one of these. However, I'm confused as to which version.

I'd like to:

Sit in coffee shops and write.

Do a little bit of work (word, maybe excel) on it.

Play old games (D2, BG2, Planescape: Torment, FFVII - all of which are sitting right next to me in case you're worrying about me being a pirate) on the train or plane.

So, I guess I need one of the ones with Windows on it, right? I live in Japan, so I'll have to see whether I can get an English one or I need to import. I'm trying to learn about it - is there a new version coming out? Should I wait for that?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    OK, I've decided to buy one of these. However, I'm confused as to which version.

I'd like to:

Play old games (D2, BG2, Planescape: Torment, FFVII - all of which are sitting right next to me in case you're worrying about me being a pirate) on the train or plane.

So, I guess I need one of the ones with Windows on it, right? I live in Japan, so I'll have to see whether I can get an English one or I need to import. I'm trying to learn about it - is there a new version coming out? Should I wait for that?

I think the 900 series is already out in Asia (or maybe just Korea?) but, if not, the US release date is May 12. It's got a 9 inch screen instead of the previous model's 7 inch screen in about the same size and form factor. Basically, without the big speakers at the edge (the speakers are underneath it appears). But, if you're looking for something on the cheaper end then you're going to want to stick with the ol' 701 series. You can install windows on whichever one you get, so it's not like you have to buy a windows machine if you can't find one very easily. I think they even come with instructions on how to do that if I remember right.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence. For me it's mostly battery life that I want. My iBook still gets 5+ hours, but I'm still highly interested in the Eee and am watching the developments in the new market it seems to have seeded.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'd like to:

I think the 900 series is already out in Asia (or maybe just Korea?) but, if not, the US release date is May 12. It's got a 9 inch screen instead of the previous model's 7 inch screen in about the same size and form factor. Basically, without the big speakers at the edge (the speakers are underneath it appears). But, if you're looking for something on the cheaper end then you're going to want to stick with the ol' 701 series. You can install windows on whichever one you get, so it's not like you have to buy a windows machine if you can't find one very easily. I think they even come with instructions on how to do that if I remember right.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence. For me it's mostly battery life that I want. My iBook still gets 5+ hours, but I'm still highly interested in the Eee and am watching the developments in the new market it seems to have seeded.

Thanks. I assume I can't just install the copy of windows I have on my desktop? And if I install windows I lose all the pre-installed software etc? Might import an 8gb 701 from somewhere English-speaking.

poshniallo on
This discussion has been closed.