• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    The stock OS is good if you're not familiar with Linux and just want to use it for surfing the internet and using an office suite. Anything past that though, and I found that I was battling with the operating system more than with the software itself. I put an nlite'd Windows install(150mb iso woo) on mine and it runs better than Xandros did. To be fair though, I did slap 2gb of ram in. I've successfully installed a wide variety of games on it, but I do have an external DVD drive, so it makes things easier. You can, however, install games to the flash drive with an SD card reader and another computer, so woo hoo to that.

Out of borderline-Linux-fanboy curiosity, what problems did you have with the OS?

I did pretty much the same thing - I switched Xandros over to the full KDE desktop, which was better for me, but realized I was still pretty stupid at linux. Couldn't figure out how to get a printer driver insalled, or re-compile my distro to get it to recognize the full 2 gigs of memory, or how to install .gz thingies... admittedly I didn't try very hard to look all this up though.

Eventually I ran into a situation where I needed to run a windows-specific application (Johnny Lee's Wiimote Lightboard software), and ended up throwing an nlite'd Windows XP Pro install on there, which is running well enough that I'm not really in the mood to take it off.

Fair enough. I don't have a lot of experience with KDE but I do know that printer drivers can be a bitch. The 2 GB of RAM should be picked up automatically though, Linux distros generally boast about that kind of hardware management. And fair enough about the *.tar.gz, though from what I understand Xandros is Debian-based, so there's always the possibility of searching their package manager before jumping for the old *.tar.gz's.
    But yeah, if you do have to install with *.tar.gz's, you get the fun of doing this in a terminal:
    tar xvfz something.tar.gz
    cd something
    ./configure
    make
    (as root) make install
    So take that as you will

I think I'm just too used to a graphical based UI. Going into a terminal always leaves me with a headache, since I'm not familiar with any but the most basic DOS commands for navigating file structures. The few times I've done it it's been from people just posting instructions to me verbatim, and me re-typing them into the terminal window without really understanding what I was doing.

At some point, someday, I'll actually just sit down with it and pound my head against it until it all makes sense.

Well that's just what Debian-based distros such as Xandros and Ubuntu were supposed to get rid of with the repository system. Either you'd have something like Synaptic or Adept that you can just search for programs or install with a click, or if you must you can go into the terminal and type
    sudo apt-get install azureus
    But the ./configure && make thing regards automatic compilation of the source code of programs, and usually applies to either ancient and unused programs like Siag Office or ones that have yet to take off or are in alpha like Swiftfox (or your own programs, if you're a developer) Any other programs will usually have some debian repository set up including Skype, Wine, etc.

It was just getting in the way of things that I'm used to on Windows. I spent time researching how to install what I planned to on Windows, and I researched my way around and I'll admit I was having fun with it, albeit almost an equal amount of frustration. Wine works pretty well, but it was just so much easier for me to have two Windows machines running instead of a Windows and a Linux. I have nothing against Linux, it's just that I don't really have the time to wrestle with it.

Keep in mind that after I have XP configured the way I like it, it's my absolute favorite OS. I have almost zero problems with it, so why should I bother messing with a working formula?

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It seems that the 901 is available from a few Amazon sellers right now. So damned tempting.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys, I've got a question.

My current laptop seems to be completely on the fritz(See "Everything ever is wrong with my computer"), and basically it's spiraling down the drain. I'm building a new desktop once I get a check from a recent gig, but that leaves me with a desktop and no laptop. I was going to just go with the Eee and be happy, but there's a twist.

I'm going to NYC near the end of June, and one thing that I absolutely must have with me is Finale, the music notation software. I'm going there to oversee a reading of a show I wrote the score to, and I need to be able to do on-the-fly revisions of the score while there. Dragging my desktop is impractical, so I need some machine that's capable of running Finale.

So, has anyone used Finale on the Eee? I was hoping to get the 900 series, and I would prefer sticking with Xandros, but Finale is developed only for Windows/Mac. So should I go with the Windows version? If I get windows, can I swap back to Xandros later? If I get Xandros, how good is Wine? I was thinking I'd throw finale on an SD card so it should be find space wise with either configuration, but I'd prefer going Linux on it.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I'm not so sure about putting XP on one. I'm sorta lookin' at Ubuntu. Does Ubuntu need the large amount of RAM that XP does?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Khavall - I don't think Finale is going to work all that well if you're using Wine, especially if you need fast midi timings for the sound output. Under Windows it might be a different story, but even then you're looking at a 630 mhz processor, and some pretty puny sound hardware.

Dharma - Ubuntu can get by on 512 megs of ram, although if you open up a bunch of firefox tabs and have foobar and pidgin running at the same time, expect to see some slow down as you switch between windows.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Khavall - I don't think Finale is going to work all that well if you're using Wine, especially if you need fast midi timings for the sound output. Under Windows it might be a different story, but even then you're looking at a 630 mhz processor, and some pretty puny sound hardware.

Dharma - Ubuntu can get by on 512 megs of ram, although if you open up a bunch of firefox tabs and have foobar and pidgin running at the same time, expect to see some slow down as you switch between windows.

Really I only need the notational part of it. Basically I need to be able to see the score, edit the score, and print via PrimoPDF so I can send the scores elsewhere.

Also doesn't the 900 have a 900Mhz CPU? Might be a little better. I'd prefer the eee because a: I don't have that much money to spend on a laptop, and b: I'm going to use it for four things: Editing scores on the fly, Email, Internet, and taking notes in class.

EDIT: And maybe a calculator so I can add 1+1+1+1. Three things indeed.

EDIT 2: Also consider that my current laptop as of recently is now struggling a little to play X-Com UFO Defense, but can run enough of Finale that I can still work.

EDIT 3: I checked it out, and the Eee fills all the requirements.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know about how it runs in a Linux environment, but I do know my install of Sibelius 4 takes up about half as much space as Finalé 2007 if we don't count MIDI libraries. It might be worth looking into if space becomes an issue.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Really I only need the notational part of it. Basically I need to be able to see the score, edit the score, and print via PrimoPDF so I can send the scores elsewhere.

Also doesn't the 900 have a 900Mhz CPU? Might be a little better. I'd prefer the eee because a: I don't have that much money to spend on a laptop, and b: I'm going to use it for four things: Editing scores on the fly, Email, Internet, and taking notes in class.

EDIT 2: Also consider that my current laptop as of recently is now struggling a little to play X-Com UFO Defense, but can run enough of Finale that I can still work.

Why not just get the better Linux version and put a copy of XP on it and dual boot?

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Why not just get the better Linux version and put a copy of XP on it and dual boot?

Does that work? Can I do that?

How do I do that?

Khavall on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ive heard that ubuntu is awful on these and what it comes with is actually much, much better, any truth to that?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Does that work? Can I do that?

How do I do that?

I'm not entirely sure you can do it on the 900, as no one has tried yet to my knowledge. I imagine, though, that it's the same thing with the 701. The only problem with installing XP on the 701 is that you initially have to wipe the entirety of the SSD, getting rid of the Xandros install. i haven't tried it yet, but you might be able to set aside another partition to reinstall Xandros on after XP is done.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well if I end up wiping Xandros and just have the superior version with XP for a while anyways, I'll at least be ok. XP does everything I need, so I guess I'll just get the Xandros version and install windows at least, then see about dual-booting.

Ok, I found a really convoluted guide to doing it without wiping Xandros. Maybe I'll try that.

Khavall on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So how is the battery on the 900? I heard it was weak, but then Asus apologised and replaced the battery with a beefier one. Are we getting the beefy battery here in US as well, or was the switch for Asian adopters only?
    Also, isnt atom supposed to improve abttery life sometime down the road?

I am so tempted....

muninn on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=454

Depends on the version of Finale and Wine, but there are various silvers and golds around the place. Maybe try Wine before jumping straight into the "wiping Linux" camp.

theSquid on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was telling a guy I work with about my slutty desire for an EEE PC, and then today he was in an electronics store and he gave me a pamphlet for the Kohjinsha SA5. This also seems lovely, and also has touchscreen.

I'm afraid I'm not clear on the difference in specs - can anyone enlighten me as to how they think these two compare?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    stringstring Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Interesting comparison on YouTube between Kojinsha and the Eee. Reviewer is a bit slanted towards the Kojinsha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLoQwVnax4

The kojinsha is waaaay more expensive though. (Like $1K+ depending on the specs and extra's you get)

edit: whoa, it embedded the youtube vid. Weird.

string on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whoa, that Kohjinsha notebook is like, EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for. I like the Eee PC, but the limited memory and screen have kind of held me back. Getting the small form factor in a tablet with a nice bright screen and a 40 gig drive? YES. I may have to look into that.

Edit - Oh, I see there's a 120 gig model. Well then.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've seen 80GB Kojinshas in Taiwan for about $800 (US).

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wish I could find more reviews for it though. The fact that I can find almost no information about them on any of the "mainstream" tech sites makes me a bit wary.

Oh man, this looks perfect. If I had an extra $1200 I'd grab this in a heartbeat.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    posting this from an eee in best buy right now. I really like it, the keyboard would definately take some getting used to. This is the xp version so i cant really comment on the os that most ship with. I will definately be getting some kind of eee or wind before i head off to collage.

Loafgoat on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just ordered a 900 windows version (white) from Clove.co.uk

Will let you guys know if it ships ok.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just used for the very fist time a 7'' 2GB at BJ's ($299).
    Holy shit, I never fully appreciated how small this thing is! I really wish I had the money to spend on it at the time. The keyboard annoyed me, but it was at an akward height which I'm sure didn't help, and I imagine I'd get used to it. Either way, this gets me absurdly excited for the 9''.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Big Dookie, linkie is broken. Was it the OQO Model 2?

Also, to those who are skeptical of running XP on 512Mb of RAM, as long as you get your startup services under control you really shouldn't have a problem. I consistently ran Opera and Firefox at the same time while running games such as WurmOnline or Warcraft III. Sometimes a little slow on alt-tabbing, but nowhere near the doom-saying.

If you want a really efficient OS you could try SLAX. It's based on Slackware, but it really expects the user to know what they are doing. It's probably about the complete opposite of Ubuntu in terms of user-friendliness. There's a page devoted to installing SLAX on the EEE here: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/slax6 .

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »

should have waited for the 901, which sound VERY attractive right now (albiet mebbe a bit expensive)

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

should have waited for the 901, which sound VERY attractive right now (albiet mebbe a bit expensive)

I cant really find the advantage of the 901 besides the new parts on the outside, and bluetooth, I dont see the advantage of another 100-150$ on the price.

I think ive decided on getting the 900 (unless theres some insanely awesome reason to get 901), where would be the best place to buy from? Im in a medium sized town and no B&M is going to have it in the area, so online is the only choice. Newegg is out of the picture, I trust them fully for all my hardware purchases, but their laptop policy is shit (basicly it says you can never return a laptop you have bought from us for any reason).

Edit: oooh its rumored all models 900 and lower will have a price cut... I think ill have to hold for a bit. 1001 model will have a 10" screen? sounds cool but I wouldnt want to pay (whats the next 100$ up? 650$ now?)xxx for it when regular laptops are sitting at 450$ now.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I cant really find the advantage of the 901 besides the new parts on the outside, and bluetooth, I dont see the advantage of another 100-150$ on the price.

I think ive decided on getting the 900 (unless theres some insanely awesome reason to get 901), where would be the best place to buy from? Im in a medium sized town and no B&M is going to have it in the area, so online is the only choice. Newegg is out of the picture, I trust them fully for all my hardware purchases, but their laptop policy is shit (basicly it says you can never return a laptop you have bought from us for any reason).

Edit: oooh its rumored all models 900 and lower will have a price cut... I think ill have to hold for a bit. 1001 model will have a 10" screen? sounds cool but I wouldnt want to pay (whats the next 100$ up? 650$ now?)xxx for it when regular laptops are sitting at 450$ now.

Following weeks of speculation, on 3 June 2008 Asus unveiled the Eee 901, a revision of the 900 series with a similar chassis. The 901 will feature an Intel Atom Diamondville CPU clocked at 1.6GHz, an "expanded" battery (listed as 6-cell), and "Super Hybrid Engine" software for power management which will provide a battery life of 4.2 to 7.8 hours. Bluetooth and 802.11n Wi-Fi are also included. The 901 will also use the Intel 945GSE chipset.[26], meeting the requirements for Windows Vista Aero. The Eee PC 901 will cost NT$16,988 (approximately US$559). The 901 is otherwise similar to the 900, shipping in Linux or Windows XP configurations which have different sizes of SSD storage.[27][28] Informal reports state that the machine will feature an "enhanced case" and additional installed software, and that a version with WiMAX will be available. Reports also indicate that the launch of the Eee 901 will also be accompanied by a price drop for the 700 series and Eee 900.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So in otherwords, a faster processor and bling'd case thats sturdier?

I would like to say its worth the price hike for the processor upgrade... but I cant help but feel it isnt :\

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, 7.8 hour battery life might help

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so now it's 901 vs wind, eh? tough call.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When will be the release date for the 901 version? Getting hard up for that battery life.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    (about the 901) next to the better battery life, its also cooler. the atom processor also has different clocking speeds up to 1.8ghz, which, for a lappy that size, aint bad at all. upgrades in ram and other stuff are also possible, and i also heard the wifi range on it is better than the MSI. Battery power is a bit the same though. The most often usual ive heard is about 6hrs with wifi on, and screen at 1/3rd brightness, doing medium load webbrowsing, which, aint bad at all. MSI with a 6 cell battery also weighs 0.1kg more than the 901.

both of em differ in their linux/windows flavors too. the MSI linux version has 512mb of ram, but their XP version has 1gb of ram(upgradeable? tough to say at this point), but their harddrives are the same at 80gb normal harddrive. the 901s linux version has 20gb of solid state harddrive space, and their XP version has only 16, but both have 1gb of ram (upgradeable though)

well eh, just spouting off what hasnt been said yet i guess. personally im hitting up the 901 (gonna be so sweet for classes, instead of my goddamn 8lb thinkpad tank). as for release/shipping dates, some places ship out their orders tommorow, of course at ridiculous 100$ markup cuz they bought it straight from taiwan. The MSI wind, id wait up on that, it might seem cheaper, but the cheap price (499$) ive heard is only for the basic options (3 cell, low ram, etc.), so you might actually end up paying a price closer to a 901 than you might have thought. but then again, who knows what they might announce in the coming weeks. As for retailers on the 901, ive heard next week, and ive also heard july 1st, but eh, we'll just have to see, havent gotten a straight answer from many places.

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, rumor is that previous rumors were wrong and the 901 will market in the US for $550, same as the 900 did.

If so, I'm all over that.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, rumor is that previous rumors were wrong and the 901 will market in the US for $550, same as the 900 did.

If so, I'm all over that.

Oh god, I already have a 701. Curse you reasonably priced things!

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, the Dell cheaptraportable will also use the Atom and will be named the Dell E. I am not making this shit up.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd say it's a toss up between the 901 or the MSI Wind. The Wind has a bigger screen, the 901 has a smaller footprint for easier carrying. Both will be using the intel atom, be about the same price, and share a bunch of the same features.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Also, the Dell cheaptraportable will also use the Atom and will be named the Dell E. I am not making this shit up.

yeah, but it also only has 512mb of ram and a 4gb harddrive....at least at its "cheap" pricing. man they always gotta bs us around like that...

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just got an email - my 900 got dhl'ed from Clove.

I can't wait: and I can't be arsed to:

(a) wait for the most optimal configuration (901 if it's cheap)

(b) get something more powerful and more expensive that isn't what I need (901 if it's not cheap).

TBH, I chose the 900 because of the screen size - the 701 was fine otherwise.

Go, go DHL! Get here before the temperature breaks 30 and I have to stop using this PC!

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    901 is 559$, not as bad as i expected..

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/17/review_eee_pc_901/

not a bad review at all

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

not a bad review at all

Are they for sale yet? And does anyone have one?

What's the performance on various older games like? I mean, it's obvious I won't be running Crysis on this thing, but what about, say, UT2k4? I know that ran kinda badly on the original Eees, but this guy's got more juice under the hood, right?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

not a bad review at all

Are they for sale yet? And does anyone have one?

What's the performance on various older games like? I mean, it's obvious I won't be running Crysis on this thing, but what about, say, UT2k4? I know that ran kinda badly on the original Eees, but this guy's got more juice under the hood, right?

I cant find one anywhere. I havent seen a release date either yet. Does anyone know a good retailer to buy an EEE from? Newegg is out of the picture....

I think UT2K4 might be pushing it on this, but it might be possible........

Minimum Requirements:
    Win 98/2000/Me/XP
    733MHz Processor
    128MB RAM
    32MB Video Card
    3GB HDD Space

Id say your good to go on 2k4.....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.