Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    im planning to see if i can run TF2 on lowest settings on this, thatd be so ridiculous. probably would be possible....

and eh, no, not being sold around here yet, mebbe in a week or two. some people on ebay have it for ridiculously high markup, and theyre chinese versions, or theyre only the 16gb XP versions so, lol thats out...

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bet you TFC would work fine. :-p

And I am getting this as soon as a legitimate (read: newegg) reseller in the States is stocking them.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I bet you TFC would work fine. :-p

And I am getting this as soon as a legitimate (read: newegg) reseller in the States is stocking them.

Newegg is complete shit with supporting laptops after purchase, their ToS basicly says that theres no returns for a laptop, ever, no matter what. (Thats why I was looking for another good retailer)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TF2 does not run. The report I read was on a 701, but it just crashes when you try and join a game.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TF2 does not run. The report I read was on a 701, but it just crashes when you try and join a game.

The 901 has a slightly more powerful graphics chip, which is why the question has been reopened.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    and a processor thats about 2x more powerful as the 701....

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Eeeeehhhh. You're looking at clock speed, which is a useless measurement. The Atom (901) and the Core2-based Celeron (701, 900) have completely different architectures and the Celeron usually gets more shit done per clock cycle because the Atom is an in-order architecture. In the end the new 1.6Ghz Atom and the old 900MHz Celeron are about equally good, performance-wise (but the Atom draws like a third as much power, which is the whole point).

Some subnotebook maker should just say "fuck the Windows market" and make one of these with the nVidia Tegra. Cutting out the absurdly inefficient x86 instruction set translator would help power/performace a good deal, but you'd break binary compatability (obviously). Doesn't matter for Linux, though: there's been an ARM port for years.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I thought the benchmarks from the review posted showed the processor doing things alot faster at full speed then the 701. I know when you have the energy saver mode on, its equivalent to the 701 for sure at 1/3rd the power.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yay! Got my 900 from Clove.co.uk

No problems at all - used international shipping (DHL) for about 30 pounds sterling. The shipping took about 4 days - it got to the DHL office near my house in 3 days (Southampton, England to Yokohama, Japan) and then it got handed off to a Japanese courier who slowed right down, taking another day and a half to bring it the last 10 miles!

Working fine, seems lovely.

Can I ask a really stupid question? I have an SD card (only 2gb) and games on CD such as Diablo 2 and Planescape Torment. How do I transfer them over? Can I just copy the CD like a data CD then mount them using Daemon on the EEE?

Probably I should make the EEE into a network with my main PC and just transfer data that way, but I've never made a network before. I have an (ethernet?) cable which I use to connect my 360 to my DSL modem - is that the kind of cable I could use to connect the EEE to my main PC, make a LAN, and transfer data that way? I don't have a technical background but I learn pretty fast, so if it's possible I'm sure I can grok how to do it just fine.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So has anyone put FF3 on theirs, yet?

I helped my ex put Skype2.0 on her 701 last night, tried out videochat. The tiny camera on that thing really works well. And the mic. Very clear, I was surprised.

edit: btw, is it me, or is the 901 a great bit uglier than the 900? Mostly due to the hinge, it's just... inelegant.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's a bit... Fancier.

I suppose I vaguely like the black one more than the white in this version. The snazzy battery life has me sold any which way, though.

*hugs his little black book* Goodness do I love these things. My life got so much easier since I could stop lugging the Altar of Eye B'e Ematar around.

I was like a crazed little priest, hobbling about with a sacrificial bowl full of things best left unsaid to crouch in dark corners and jab bulbous cables into walls and random passer by in a frantic effort to appease my dread god. ;-;

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So when the hell does the 901 come out in the U.S.?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, I really want an Eee. I have $300 max to spend on it, and refuse to get a 2G(I want to upgrade to 2 gigs when I have the cash)

Its hopeless, I assume.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, I really want an Eee. I have $300 max to spend on it, and refuse to get a 2G(I want to upgrade to 2 gigs when I have the cash)

Its hopeless, I assume.

actually you're in luck

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=34370

though now, the coupons expired, the live search is now 25% cashback, so, at least u can get it for 470 with shipping...i got mine for 440 with shipping. which, aint bad at all....

you dont gotta get a 901 with this deal, u can get a 700 or something with it for pretty cheap as well

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Its hopeless, I assume.

The rumor is that the 7" ones will get a price drop when the 901 and 1000 hit. If you're okay with the 7" screen, anyway (I'm not).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For 380$ you can pick up an Acer Aspire One, which while not as good as the 901's is significantly better than the older models. It just has less storage space, no bluetooth and a smaller battery.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I need to find an option thats $300 or less though, I'm broke, but am selling my laptop for $300(too heavy and big for me, also low battery life).

Where are the 901 and 1000 supposed to hit? I'd really like to get the laptop before august, for pax and before my school starts back up.

Raslin on

• Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Eeeeehhhh. You're looking at clock speed, which is a useless measurement. The Atom (901) and the Core2-based Celeron (701, 900) have completely different architectures and the Celeron usually gets more shit done per clock cycle because the Atom is an in-order architecture. In the end the new 1.6Ghz Atom and the old 900MHz Celeron are about equally good, performance-wise (but the Atom draws like a third as much power, which is the whole point).

Some subnotebook maker should just say "fuck the Windows market" and make one of these with the nVidia Tegra. Cutting out the absurdly inefficient x86 instruction set translator would help power/performace a good deal, but you'd break binary compatability (obviously). Doesn't matter for Linux, though: there's been an ARM port for years.

Entirely correct. I saw benchmarks on some German site that placed the 900Mhz Celeron as slightly faster than the 1.6 Ghz Atom (at their respective default clock speeds). Although the eeePCs underclock their celerons, yes? And I also saw the 901 Atom could be underclocked for double battery life or easily overclocked to 1.8 Ghz to take the performance lead.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    701's processor is underclocked somewhere in the mid 600mhz, IIRC.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, I just picked up the 4G for $250. Really happy, though I'm still getting used to typing on the tiny keyboard. Time to get XP installed on this :P

Raslin on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    The 901 gets released in the US on the 8th, and I will buy one as soon as I can find one in stock.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Word to the wise: Trying to install an nLite'd XP off of usb onto the EEE is making me want to pull out all of my hair.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I caved and bought an external DVD drive because I didn't feel like dealing with the USB business. As it turns out, this thing is getting a whole lot of use.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Word to the wise: Trying to install an nLite'd XP off of usb onto the EEE is making me want to pull out all of my hair.

It's a pain, but it is possible.

HINT: do not nlite out the windows install files, you will need those. Also make sure you're using at least SP2/3.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

It's a pain, but it is possible.

HINT: do not nlite out the windows install files, you will need those. Also make sure you're using at least SP2/3.

Following a guide I found online, who got it running fine on his eee with the settings I used.

And I'm using professional with SP2

I must be making the usb wrong. I set it to boot from the usb on the eee, and it just sits at a black screen with a blinking line(like dos, waiting for something to be typed), but the only thing I can do is ctrl-alt-delete, which reboots it.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    901 is up for preorder on Amazon. They're charging NY sales tax now, though, damn. That brings the order up to like $660. I'm having second thoughts. Is there anywhere cheaper?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    what the hell, I thought this was supposed to be $550?

Im really curious if the size difference will be worth the cost vs a real laptop now....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    what the hell, I thought this was supposed to be $550?

Im really curious if the size difference will be worth the cost vs a real laptop now....

Well, "real laptops" weigh twice as much and are three times the volume, so they're not an option for me; it's either this or a different subportable, and I like SSDs. It's listed on Amazon as $599, but sales tax is hitting me, I guess NYS must have started doing that earlier this year.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sorry I meant for my use, not in general. This definitely has its advantages for people. Why would they charge you sales tax? Dosen't that mean they have to have a store in that state? Or that they ship out of that state?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sorry I meant for my use, not in general. This definitely has its advantages for people. Why would they charge you sales tax? Dosen't that mean they have to have a store in that state? Or that they ship out of that state?

Some states charge a "sales and use tax" on items purchased outside the state. Florida was the first to do it, and New York apparently started a couple months ago.

I guess the free ride is over. Newegg's doing it too.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So. These new models. Can you upgrade the ram like the original?

Stregone on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Stregone wrote: »
    So. These new models. Can you upgrade the ram like the original?

yep

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    but they come with 1GB rather than 512MB, so you might not need to do so immediately right out of the box.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So I have a 901 and I love it, but the 4400 battery is a bit rubbish. What are my options for upgrading/replacing/supplementing it? I've never owned a notebook before.

Cheers.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, what? I was told by every review that the 901 came with a 6600mAh battery, and the 900 came with a 4400. Does the 901 have a 4400 too? That would really suck.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to infer by his word usage that he's from England, or thereabouts, who got stiffed on the batteries. The UK got 4400's in their 901s, and the whole battery replacement plan from Asus. The problem has been remedied from what I've read.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    so the only difference between the two 901 models is one is windows xp and 12gig hard drive, and the other is linux and 20gigs, right?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    so the only difference between the two 901 models is one is windows xp and 12gig hard drive, and the other is linux and 20gigs, right?

ayup.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

ayup.

Then with those words I preorder a 20gig 901 off of amazon right now!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to infer by his word usage that he's from England, or thereabouts, who got stiffed on the batteries. The UK got 4400's in their 901s, and the whole battery replacement plan from Asus. The problem has been remedied from what I've read.

Well done on the linguadetection.

However, I imported from the UK to Japan, so I can't return the battery.

Not sure what to do, really.

poshniallo on
This discussion has been closed.