As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Hunters: Misdirect your attention to this thread.

• Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Started work on the macro post. Any macros you want to see up there please post them here and I'll include them. I will be adding more as I have time this weekend. If you have a improved version or something like that please let us know and I'll add that as well. There is a UI thread with alot of macros here already but the post will be a place to keep macros specifically for Hunters so we don't have to wade through an entire thread.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any 2k rated hunters looking in on this thread? I'd love to hear spec, strategy, and partners.

Chris W on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had a 1800 Hunter, back when it was okay to Arena in T5 gear. Does that count? :D

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1870 here. I'll be hitting 2k Soon enough though :P

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok people, at the weekend I did the battlegrounds for the first time. I gained about 5000 honour points. Which I guess is good, however while i'm doing ok in the damage lists (usually in the top quarter) i'm not as high as i'd like to be.

This here is me.

I've been considering respeccing slightly to get rid of stuff I don't really use anymore. (for example pathfinding which I used quite a bit before I got a mount)
    I am currently saving up my points for Gladiator's Heavy Crossbow and the Gladiator's armour, but the first thing I intend to get is the crossbow.

Is there any respec'ing I should be focusing on, or weapons/armour?

The annoying thing is although i'm the second in the guild to reach 70 the first one (who reached 70 a few weeks before me) is consistently in the top 3. (damage wise)

Advice needed people! Advice!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

I mainly play PvE, but there are still a few things that stand out.

First of all it's a bit silly comparing yourself to your guildie, considering he is mostly in end game blues with a few tailor epics thrown in while you are still in mostly greens. He outgears you significantly while playing a class that is also very strong in PvP.

As for your overall standings regarding damage the gear is an issue. There are plenty of great quest rewards available at 70 that would be major improvements while you gain honour points for PvP gearr or grind instances hoping for drops. For instance your axe has strength on it. That needs to go and there are a few rep reward and BoE alternatives available. The Mag'har rep axe, Thralllmar polearm and Crystalforged war axe would all be solid upgrades. There is a ton of other examples for all gear slots. I'm at work now, so I haven't got the time to list everything.

Then you need to take a look at your spec. It is all over the place for end game purpouses. If you aim to PvE a fair amount I'd reccomend a cookie cutter BM 41/20 spec which would also be a decent improvement in PvP, I think. If you aim to mainly PvP I'm not sure about proper specs, but a deeper MM build is fairly popular for Arena, I think. There are probably plenty cookie cutter builds out there worth looking at.

Stolly on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok people, at the weekend I did the battlegrounds for the first time. I gained about 5000 honour points. Which I guess is good, however while i'm doing ok in the damage lists (usually in the top quarter) i'm not as high as i'd like to be.

This here is me.

I've been considering respeccing slightly to get rid of stuff I don't really use anymore. (for example pathfinding which I used quite a bit before I got a mount)
    I am currently saving up my points for Gladiator's Heavy Crossbow and the Gladiator's armour, but the first thing I intend to get is the crossbow.

Is there any respec'ing I should be focusing on, or weapons/armour?

The annoying thing is although i'm the second in the guild to reach 70 the first one (who reached 70 a few weeks before me) is consistently in the top 3. (damage wise)

Big problem you have is Spec. Gear you can't do much about now but respeccing can be done immediately. Pathfinding BTW is awesome in the BG's because you chase alot of druids and mounted players , I personally love it , spirit bond on the other hand... lets not go there. Seriously I'm not meaning to be condescending when I say this but you need to respec. BAD!

a 41/20 is an awesome build for the battlegrounds . BG PvP fights are quick dirty and the sooner they are over the better. You never have to outlast and you rarely have to need the counters you will get full marks. Beast has all you need for that.

I can't really elaborate any more than that (dont have time ATM). Just think though your giving up 2 huge clutch abilities like TBW and silenceing shot in order to have Intimidation and ....careful aim.

Get on wowhead and put together a build there and link it here and we can talk about where some points should go .

TLDR Go Full marks or full Beast that hybrid thing is bad.

but seriously don't sweat the Bg scoreboard it doesn't matter the only thing that does is how much bonus honor you get . you can do the most damage in the battleground but if you don't get the objectives done you'll lose right?

goodtimes on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gear up, spam multi-shot.

You can have a fuckall spec and top BGs once you get some gear, even if all you do is roll your face on MS and AS

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spirit Bond is the worst talent ever, yet I can honestly say 80% of the hunters I see have it. It's so sad.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Spirit Bond is the worst talent ever, yet I can honestly say 80% of the hunters I see have it. It's so sad.

Every time I see this, I'm like.... "Am I missing something here?"

160 health every 10 seconds? No thanks.

I tried to lend this guy some helpful advice, and he flipped and started calling me a "noob" and whatnot. We got into it, but he was so dumb I just had to /ignore him. Please pay special attention to his Axe, Neck, and rings. Oh, and his spec.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I personally see nothing wrong in having spirit bond, since I can't think of anything better to put your point into in that tier of the Beast Mastery tree, especially if you're still leveling up.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    For starters, finishing off other talents in lower tiers, along with Intimidation and Bestial Discipline. Honestly, I personally feel that spirit bond is a complete waste of two talent points. 2% health is... miniscule. Especially while leveling. I have 9k health now, but I had maybe 4500-5k before 70. That's 100 health every ten seconds.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not getting what you mean by finishing off talents in lower tiers, the way I specced never left points unspent before I moved on, there was just never a point where I had a choice between finishing off a talent or choosing from the next tier. For leveling and just normal things at 70 it isn't a carnal sin to have Spirit Bond, I have it still on my hunter because I'm not yet ready to raid, however those two points along with some others will be switched around when I do start raiding.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No, it's certainly not a "Carnal sin," I hope I'm not coming off as condescending, here. I'm not trying to. To be honest, it doesn't much matter how you're specced before 70.

Here's an example of how I would spend the points while leveling (this is a lvl 39 spec). These would obviously be changed at lvl 70.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not a 'beating-worthy' mistake to spec into Spirit Bond, but just understand that it is one of the worst, if not the worst, talent that is available to hunters. The healing is absolutely negligible and those points could literally go anywhere else and you'd be better off. This isn't intended to be a rant or anything. Mercy's right; it doesn't necessarily matter a whole lot how you're specced if you don't raid or whatever. But personally I like to offer any knowledge that I've gained to others in case they are interested, and this one is always the first thing I tell any aspiring hunters: stay away from Spirit Bond.

Now, if they decided to make Spirit Bond useful and make it function like Soul Link does for Warlocks, then we'd be talking a whole different story.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm not getting what you mean by finishing off talents in lower tiers, the way I specced never left points unspent before I moved on, there was just never a point where I had a choice between finishing off a talent or choosing from the next tier. For leveling and just normal things at 70 it isn't a carnal sin to have Spirit Bond, I have it still on my hunter because I'm not yet ready to raid, however those two points along with some others will be switched around when I do start raiding.
    There is always a better alternative. Assuming you're going for the standard 41/20/0, there is no reason you should ever pick up spirit bond. I can think of 3 talents off the top of my head where the points would be better spent. This is my build but a few points could easily be disputed/moved around for personal preference. There's really no need to take Spirit Bond at all, even (perhaps even especially) for leveling. I'm stunned that I still see 75% of BM hunters with it.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have 1 point in Spirit Bond. I spec'd that way back when Spirit Bond gave the pet healing agro, which meant nothing could ever fucking pull agro off him. And it was great. Then that changed, and I haven't bothered to respec yet, since I'm not 70 yet.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hamurabi on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Can't see what you're linking, there, as I'm not registered. But holy shit is that some bad web design. Like... it's 1998 and I'm looking at someone's Geocities site bad.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »

Can't see what you're linking, there, as I'm not registered. But holy shit is that some bad web design. Like... it's 1998 and I'm looking at someone's Geocities site bad.

Oh, didn't realize you have to register to just look at threads. Oops.

In any case, I don't mind the layout -- I'm usually looking at the posts, not the design.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »

Oh, didn't realize you have to register to just look at threads. Oops.

In any case, I don't mind the layout -- I'm usually looking at the posts, not the design.
    It's pretty hard to ignore.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The banners are completely fine. Is the button layout particularly bad? I mean, I see plenty of different forum board layouts that aren't great, but I think that may often be attributable to the type of board.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I tried to lend this guy some helpful advice, and he flipped and started calling me a "noob" and whatnot. We got into it, but he was so dumb I just had to /ignore him. Please pay special attention to his Axe, Neck, and rings. Oh, and his spec.

Agree ,

All too often in this game people will ask , what can I do , how do you do (x), how can I improve. Most of the time they take the time you spent to help them and go "WHA!?? UR A FUXIN NUB K!" people are like just expecting you to tell them a secret code "ok it's up up down down left right left right" people aren't ready to accept the fact that in order to improve they are going to have to change.

or they can just keep the same spec and blame their shitty gear ad nauseum. Then they can say "OMG GO GET SUM PUSSY K I CAINT PLAY GAMES ALL DE TYME YA KNOWQ I HAS A LYFE K!"

goodtimes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    goodtimes wrote: »

Agree ,

All too often in this game people will ask , what can I do , how do you do (x), how can I improve. Most of the time they take the time you spent to help them and go "WHA!?? UR A FUXIN NUB K!" people are like just expecting you to tell them a secret code "ok it's up up down down left right left right" people aren't ready to accept the fact that in order to improve they are going to have to change.

or they can just keep the same spec and blame their shitty gear ad nauseum. Then they can say "OMG GO GET SUM PUSSY K I CAINT PLAY GAMES ALL DE TYME YA KNOWQ I HAS A LYFE K!"

The people who go on and on and on about how they have a life, etc, are the people I'm sure belong to the Basement Elite.

Also, we have a hunter on our server with the Ghost Wolf pet thing, and literally every fucking time I go by Aldor bank, she's standing there. Just.... chilling, I guess. She never moves, she never sits (AFK), she never does anything other than show off her stupid dog. And the weird thing is, I know by her gear that's she's part of an upper-tier raiding guild. WTF Blonda. WTF.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the name alone is a tip off as to what kind of player this dude is.

Jjosh?

Fucking seriously? Your name wouldn't happen to be...Josh, would it, Jjosh? I'm not sure if I hate that as much or more than 'sephiroth' or 'legolas' derivatives, but it's goddamned close either way. The only thing sadder is that someone else got to Josh before he did.
    Someone also named Josh.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hm, the axe seems fine personally. Had that until I bought me a Crystalforged Axe. Now... the rings and necklace? Especially the NECKLACE?! By god someone purge him.

Arthil on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, how does this look for a respec? (edit: tweaked it)

Compared to my current one.

Also I kinda like the honed voidaxe since it gives me +30 agility and +45 stamina. (don't really care about the strength)

I also have the ability to create the felstalker armour set. Is it worth grinding the materials?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Felstalker is well worth it my opinion. But compare it to beast lord or some other instance gear and decide for yourself really, I only recently replaced the last of my felstalker with heroic gear and crafted epics.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That spec looks a bit odd as well. For instance I can't see the benefit of choosing pathfinding and Imp arcane shot over essential talents such as scatter shot and mortal shots, if you go MM. What is it you aim to do, mostly? Knowing that would make it far easier to suggest a spec.

The axe wastes far too much ilevel budget on strength. A good weapon should have agi, ap, crit, hit and maybe a bit of stam. This and this are far superior and easy to get alternatives.

The felstalker set is an awesome PvE dps set for your level of progression, especially considering that the mats aren't really that hard to get. The LW setbonuus is what really makes it, since +hit isn't all that easy to get at that level.

Stolly on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I'm running around with my shiny new hunter and I plan on keeping him for a while and was just curious if there was a preferred build for soloing as I don't really know anyone on my server.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This to level 40. I'd also recommend getting animal handler after that and put off finishing ferocious inspiration until 70, but that's not a big deal.

Septus on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's nice to know I started off in the right tree then.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, how does this look for a respec? (edit: tweaked it)

Compared to my current one.

Also I kinda like the honed voidaxe since it gives me +30 agility and +45 stamina. (don't really care about the strength)

I also have the ability to create the felstalker armour set. Is it worth grinding the materials?

no just no no no , No scatter shot , no TSA, taking careful aim over Imp barrage?

Are we still talking about a PVP focused build? Then you can live without imp AotH, imp revive pet > Imp mend pet

OMFG take GFTT are you fucking with me here?

Imp conc shot is trash.

The ONLY reason you should take imp stings over mortal shots is if you are on a drain team in arena and thats all you do . take mortal shots , at the BG level of PVP nobody is getting drained , they just get zerged down or you get zerged down.

Go for the throat is many many magnitudes better than rapid killing for PVP / PVE whatever .

goodtimes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    goodtimes wrote: »
    Go for the throat is many many magnitudes better than rapid killing for PVP / PVE whatever .

I have both, regardless of spec.

When I go Marksman for PvP, I go pretty heavy into it. I like this build (got rid of RK). But I don't change spec for PvP anymore. Just stick with my 41/20 BM spec.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    PratleyPratley Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm 41-20-0.

Fuck you, I like spirit bond.

200ish hp every 10 seconds for me and my cat is a nice passive ability. add 50 if Im raid buffed.
    It's probably better in pvp (world pvp and bg moreso than arena), in an average length AV it heals for around 10-15k hp.

Pratley on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    This to level 40. I'd also recommend getting animal handler after that and put off finishing ferocious inspiration until 70, but that's not a big deal.
    I would throw some points into pathfinding as soon as it opens. Then, respec out of it at lvl 40. That speed boost makes a huge difference in traveling before a mount, which is the majority of the time sink in leveling these days.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pratley wrote: »
    I'm 41-20-0.

200ish hp every 10 seconds for me and my cat is a nice passive ability. add 50 if Im raid buffed.
    It's probably better in pvp (world pvp and bg moreso than arena), in an average length AV it heals for around 10-15k hp.

Man.... what? I mean, I guess it heals you while you're running from one base to another and happen to have half health, or something. Most fights don't even last long enough for it to tick, though. I mean, sure, a little bit of regen is nice, I guess, but not at the cost of any other talent in any tree (well, except concussive barrage, I guess). I dunno, to each his own. Just seems wasteful to me.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pffft you should see the build I am PvPing with at the moment:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Thrassian

I only get to play a couple hours a week (mainly weekends) so my gear is *appalling*. With that in mind I tried to spec myself to be a nuisance for flag taggers/runners rather than expecting to do any damage - so wyvern sting, scatter shot, imp conc shot, better traps, deterrance etc etc.

:lol:

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Pratley wrote: »
    I'm 41-20-0.

at 10k health you're getting 200 hp every ten seconds. 20 hp per second. You are paying 1 talent point for 10 hp per second, less than that, since ticking every ten seconds is much more useless.

Compared to the other talents, it's a piece of shit talent. Doesn't really help survivability at all.

EDIT: To put this in perspective, Rend will outdamage the healing of spirit bond.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    I would throw some points into pathfinding as soon as it opens. Then, respec out of it at lvl 40. That speed boost makes a huge difference in traveling before a mount, which is the majority of the time sink in leveling these days.

That's certainly a possibility. I chose not to, because 20-40 went by quickly enough that I didn't feel like setting my respec cost higher. Animal Handler on the other hand, will be used for a much longer period of time and also has a rather good combat use(I'd say, even without the mount speed, this is better for soloing than ferocious inspiration).

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.