Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I went swing dancing and all I got was this lousy photo

IMG_0379b1.jpg

(actually, I like it a good deal)

Sheri on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lady at the top left looks like she's having a good time too. Too much good times.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hey folks!

I haven't been around in awhile, but I still lurk almost daily (sometimes weekly). I got a load of work pilled on me by suprise recently, so I've been busy.

Nice stuff in here. PA photographers are all getting better and better.

These aren't photos per say, but they are stills from a project I am nearing completion of. Those who live in europe might see this on TV in the coming months.

CNTFLD_00024.jpg
    CNTFLD_09445.jpg
    CNTFLD_09345.jpg
    CNTFLD_05873.jpg
    CNTFLD_11045.jpg

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sorry but I have no idea what that is and I want little to do with it.

anable on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They are shots from a music video.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    Fire_FoxFire_Fox Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2282486131_2f390a33a8.jpg

2283272938_a7f82d71ff.jpg

2283272632_9ff2c90bb6.jpg

Fire_Fox on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the second one fox, awesome colors

also, you're allowed to shoot in malls, resteraunts, etc, as long as they don't ask you to stop, or prohibit it, your ok until they ask you not to

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CP wrote: »

also, you're allowed to shoot in malls, resteraunts, etc, as long as they don't ask you to stop, or prohibit it, your ok until they ask you not to

The Photographer's Rights. A handy pamphlet put out by an attorney detailing things photographers in the US should know. It's a bit different on some issues in Canada, but many of the main points are the same.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Got a flash, trying to figure it out.

2284506585_f3688a0596_d.jpg

2284506583_947861ec2e_d.jpg

Jonis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I enjoy strobs and muffins:
    2285460508_ac624a38d1.jpg

And someone favorited this picture about five seconds after I uploaded it:
    2285460250_39eda0f83f.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    CP wrote: »

The Photographer's Rights. A handy pamphlet put out by an attorney detailing things photographers in the US should know. It's a bit different on some issues in Canada, but many of the main points are the same.

Hey - that's pretty cool. I just read it.
    Good thing to know if the other party ever becomes pushy.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't understand why more people aren't up at 1am posting their pictures. Jeeze.

2284774551_aac3fac783.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have pictures, I'm just too exhausted to process them at the moment.

Veritas on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I are post.

Before getting chased out of the mall... theme is Blue Abstracts.

mall%20test%20%282%20of%209%29.jpg

mall%20test%20%281%20of%209%29.jpg

mall%20test%20%285%20of%209%29.jpg

Don't really care for either of 'em much. Friggin picassa compression is killing me. O_o

needOptic on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    anable wrote: »
    And someone favorited this picture about five seconds after I uploaded it:
    2285460250_39eda0f83f.jpg
    That looks like a sonicgram of the moon in the womb of mother nature, or some shit. At least, it does look like a sonicgram.

gilrain on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    needOptic wrote: »
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Guess who this is supposed to be.

EDIT: Just to be clear: I didn't add that lens flare in, that was accidentally there during the photo.

EDIT2: New version posted, partially (mostly, I guess) desaturated.

I like the lighting.

Not sure about the crop. I feel like the cut off feet and the lack of room above the head are cramping his style. :lol:
    Sorry for the late response--been busy.

The original has more room above the head, but playing around with it I decided to go with less. Also, the feet aren't actually cut off--there's just a really sharp shadow that makes the feet look cut off, but actually the shadow is cut off. I suppose I could clone stamp it to fix it...

anable: that second one is fantastic. Might be better with a little less vignetting, though. I feel like I want to see more of the sky on the left. Was the vignetting a post-processing effect, or on-camera? If the latter, then I guess it is what it is.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *snip*

IMG_5606.jpg

I'm not really into photography and I have no reason why I randomly viewed this thread, but I'm glad. That shot of the cat and your signature are amazing, I just have to say.
    Penpal wrote: »
    *snip*

2266816899_dd54de75c0.jpg

I don't understand why a dusty lightbulb looks so amazing...

But it does.

Thanks.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    KillerCarKillerCar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quick scan of my first 4 x 5 slide. Didn't get the focusing/movements right, really enjoy using the camera though, it's quite a step up from using a 6MP digital

Window001.jpg

Crop from above

detail1cr2-1.jpg

KillerCar on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's only one appropriate thing to do with an onion once it sprouts:
    onionhead.jpg

(shoot it)

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Killer, that's some crazy detail. What resolution does that scan in at?

anable on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jonis wrote: »
    Got a flash, trying to figure it out.

2284506585_f3688a0596_d.jpg

Love it! very Luis Sanchis, great colour, lighting and mood :^:

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, my first serious wedding that I got roped into. It was a big clusterfuck for a few reasons which I'll rant on later, but I'm feeling pretty good about quite a few shots. These are nearly entirely untouched in PS, too. More to come - many more. (the higher resolution stuff looks a lot better, these are sized down quite a bit.)

2287673184_d3f7a9dd81_o.jpg

2287673198_8ac223b34c_o.jpg

2287673178_fe2607316d_o.jpg

2287673190_27775b7ff4_o.jpg

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    KillerCarKillerCar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The lighting in those is pretty consistently gorgeous. Good time of day. I really dig the triptych too.

Thanks! I'm loving the early evening light at this time of year
    anable wrote: »
    Killer, that's some crazy detail. What resolution does that scan in at?

That was at 2400dpi, my scanner can't cover the whole area but even so the file is 6500 x 10500 pixels, which realistically is probably enough for most practical purposes.

I'm thinking about using black and white film and processing it myself, although not sure how easy it would be to get decent results, having only developed 35mm before.

KillerCar on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    IMG_2504.jpg

I have to say, I am absolutely terrified of spiders, but I love this photo. God damn those tiny beasts and their beautiful traps. I'm actually trembling slightly at the moment, but the reflection off the web is just too mesmerizing to look away.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JAmp5 wrote: »
    Love it! very Luis Sanchis, great colour, lighting and mood :^:

Thanks Jamp. I'd not heard of that Luis Sanchis guy. His cinematic use of colors and lighting are beautiful.

Jonis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Marcus and His Band Of Mysterious Disco Ravens & Regicid3 - Thanks! :D

Anable, I like the moon, trees, sky pic a lot, too!

Optic, I really really like the 2nd blue-abstract from the mall (right angles)!

Saint, pretty damn swanky wedding shots. Congrats on surviving what I can only assume was an ordeal.

Jonis, I agree with Jamp (xcept for not knowing who Luis Sanchez is) - that lighting totally isolates the diner and his table - great effect.

IMG_2490.jpg
    (another picture of moss blooms)

IMG_2524.jpg
    Cactus spines (common "prickley pear" opuntia cactus)

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    IMG_2490.jpg
    (another picture of moss blooms)

Ugh, why am I such a sucker for blue tones? I <3<3<3 it.

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    YAY :D

<3

erisian pope on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like that one and the green one, pope. Nice little surreal landscapes.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks all for advice... Dark Moon, that calculator is awesome!

Few more images to dump.

Still looking for crits on composition

Picture_128.jpg

Picture_132.jpg

Picture_142.jpg

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nareg, the first one doesn't do anything for me. The composition is okay, I guess, but it's just kind of a bland picture. The second one, I think has a better subject but it kinda looks like you framed it and then moved the camera to the side and slanted it slightly for no reason. The composition doesn't seem to have any flow to it. Also, that tree in the left side needs to go. The third one I'm kinda on the fence about the composition, but I love the lighting. Very, very nice.

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just for giggles, here's a little bit of Texas love...

Texas_Love.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg
    'nother cactus (prickly pear / opuntia)

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Saint, pretty damn swanky wedding shots. Congrats on surviving what I can only assume was an ordeal.

Thanks. X_x It was. The worst part was, some giant woman from the bride's side showed up and decided she was going to also shoot. She seemed like she knew what she was doing, but she was an ignorant bitch. Would literally step in front of my shots not only during important moments, but would do it when we were outside doing group portraits that I set up. I'd take a shot or two and she'd step in front of me, yell at the people to look at her, and just go on as if I weren't there. Half of my group shots were ruined because the people were looking at her while she was crowding around me. It was so very fucking dumb.

Anyways, it doesn't seem like these are too interesting to ya'll, but you will take them anyway and you will like it. Any crits on anything I can do in post to improve 'em will be appreciated - because I damn sure can't go back and reshoot. :lol: (A lot of these look fantastic in black & white, but I'm going to give them that option or not.)

2289168467_4d6802c9d6_o.jpg

2289168455_576326c18f_o.jpg

2289168449_314a5b0258_o.jpg

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Saint, if I may offer a crit (and since you asked for 'em I feel I may... ) in the first pic of the (groom?) holding a wine glass I feel like the subject is a little too dark (probably backlit, although only mildly) - really this is a minor and nit-picky crit aimed at taking a really very good pic and making it even better). When shooting, that might have been a good time for a diffused flash or a white reflector to get a little more light on his face.

I only shoot with my on-camera built-in flash currently, but I have been playing a little with using it to front-light backlit subjects in outdoor shots. My results are not good yet, but the idea seems sound (to me).

I REALLY like the pic above of the girl signing the registry! "I rock!!!" heeheehee - but the DOF is great in it and attention is focussed where it should be. Nice!

EDIT:

Nareg, I agree completely with anable's thoughts. To add a litte, I don't like the angle of the column on the left in the last pic. You could use the crop tool in photoshop (check the "perspective" box) to straighten it up. That would help that pic a lot. If you would permit me, I could crop it, make a screenshot of what I am doing in photoshop, and post the screenshot in a link plus the edited pic so you can see what I mean. Let me know if that's ok and appealing to you...

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pope, that was shot with diffused flash already. It was like 2pm, extremely bright and sunny. Not the best shooting conditions, but I did what I could. Anyhow, I'll bring out the subject a bit more before I hand that one over - thanks!

Also - holy crap I did not even notice what the person wrote. It wasn't her that wrote that, but the one above her. Funny.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Very nice wedding shots, Saint. God willing, I will never have to do anything like that, but if I ever grow desperate for food money...

If you were the paid wedding photog, you should definitely have confronted the woman and asked her to either stop shooting altogether or to at least get the hell out of the way. If she didn't like that, or you're shy, talk to the bride/groom and tell them about the problem. Seeing as they know the woman, and they're paying you big money to get the shots, they will deal with the problem swiftly or suffer the results (missed important moments, mediocre portraits where everyone's looking at the wrong person). As I said, I've never done a wedding, but I do troll the wedding portrait forums at fredmiranda.com entirely too much, and this is just a paraphrase of the usual advice given in this situation there.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    IMG_2491.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nareg, I agree completely with anable's thoughts. To add a litte, I don't like the angle of the column on the left in the last pic. You could use the crop tool in photoshop (check the "perspective" box) to straighten it up. That would help that pic a lot. If you would permit me, I could crop it, make a screenshot of what I am doing in photoshop, and post the screenshot in a link plus the edited pic so you can see what I mean. Let me know if that's ok and appealing to you...

Yes Please!

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    If you were the paid wedding photog, you should definitely have confronted the woman and asked her to either stop shooting altogether or to at least get the hell out of the way. If she didn't like that, or you're shy, talk to the bride/groom and tell them about the problem. Seeing as they know the woman, and they're paying you big money to get the shots, they will deal with the problem swiftly or suffer the results (missed important moments, mediocre portraits where everyone's looking at the wrong person). As I said, I've never done a wedding, but I do troll the wedding portrait forums at fredmiranda.com entirely too much, and this is just a paraphrase of the usual advice given in this situation there.

Nah, I think she was paid by the bride's side of the family to undermine me being hired by the groom's side. She toned it down later on because both the groom and the bride mentioned it to her without me having to even ask - she was being that shameless about it.

Thanks though. I already apparently have another job lined up for next month - and I feel a million times better about it. Gonna be paying pretty well too. I'm considering seeing if I can find some pro around town that I can apprentice a bit, some of the better ones are two-man jobs. Make a bit of money on the weekends and improve quite a bit. The whole thing was an amazing learning experience, though it was extremely stressful.

Pope - That shot is fantastic. Great texture, great colors.

UnknownSaint on
This discussion has been closed.