As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I graduated in August Sheri, don't feel old... especially since I should have graduated about 2.5 years ago.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm finishing a masters degree in may, if we're having an old fart off

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    Weird, I didn't imagine I would be feeling old compared to you folks. (I'm 19, almost done with second year of college.) I am however taking a few film classes, and so far digital to film is pretty interesting. I'm excited about it, hopefully a good way to grow.

I graduated from college in May

Thanks for making me feel ancient, dudes.

Don't worry. You'll always be a kid next to me...

erisian pope on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, dudes. I feel much better now. <3

Sheri on
  • Options
    thebovrilmonkeythebovrilmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You lot think you're old? Blimey, I graduated almost 8 years ago.

I look at some of the photos in these threads and think 'I wish I'd been learning to work a camera properly while I was still a student'.
    Especially now, since it's dark when I go to work and dark when I leave to go home - I want to take photos in natural light goddamnit.

Still, at least my time in education was well spent doing other stuff instead
    watching daytime tv :|

In other news, I now have a 50mm f1.8 nikon lens, so I'll be playing with that for a while :D
    I'll post some photos taken with it after the weekend probably.

thebovrilmonkey on
    Liquid Cow
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just got my first digital camera, a little PowerShot SD850 IS, with the idea that a DSLR would be large enough that I'd never take it anywhere and, thus would never get any cool shots. The inability to shoot anything higher than ISO400 without tons of ugly noise is making me reconsider, but... it is nice and small. And ISO200 and lower has decent IQ. It's my first camera since college, in which I used a nothing-too-special 35mm SLR, black and white film, and the campus darkroom. Oh, to have free access to a darkroom, again...

First, a toast to the new thread (taken for my cocktail blog):

1356591908_5d54044980.jpg

Then, my favorite nature shot, so far:

1619355961_d2673a592b.jpg

And finally, some kitchen tools:

2226806179_90fd3d54f0.jpg

gilrain on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    2034210921_fe36195dd3.jpg

1050102555_0e976f35c0.jpg

2034210711_4a7b1b2b5a.jpg

I need to go get some more stuff... D:

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    Weird, I didn't imagine I would be feeling old compared to you folks. (I'm 19, almost done with second year of college.) I am however taking a few film classes, and so far digital to film is pretty interesting. I'm excited about it, hopefully a good way to grow.

I graduated from college in May

Thanks for making me feel ancient, dudes.
    I graduated in February...2005.

And I'm 20. BIZARRE.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, what? Stop being brilliant. Or are you talking high school?

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm 22 and still working on my bachelors, that what I get for changing majors midway. Should have graduated last may I think if I had stuck with architecture.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tini wrote: »

No, college. 8-)

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No, college. 8-)
    I entered fulltime at 16.

...then dropped out at 20, just before graduating, to make the mad bucks in CA. :^:

gilrain on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

No, college. 8-)
    Shit man. I'm young. And Stupid.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Took some pictures of geese today.

It really is kinda lame that our school only has the developer for B&W photos, and since I don't have a DSLR that restricts me fairly heavily. Rural photos are so much about color, and I found it really hard to take interesting shots. I was supposed to be taking pictures of Bison but they weren't there. Ah, to be a photographer.

As soon as the bison finally show up I'll make sure to scan the photos and show you peeps.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I took some photos from around my office building, today on my lunch break.

Urban Agate:

2231224673_8c89f45b53.jpg

Swoosh:

2232018680_920923d74e.jpg

Rusted Shut:

2231223175_a0658e8e80.jpg

Comments welcome, of course.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I really like that lock shot. It's hot. Like a Philadelphia pepper pot that I got from my vacation spot that time when I got a blood clot in the parking lot when I got hit by a car because I was in their blind spot.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My neice:

_MG_1621.jpg

Crits are always welcome.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like the lighting and composition, maybe showing just a little more of her face.

2232149886_05a57540e5.jpg

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Nice photo pope, what do you think about cropping out that plant? It seems a little distracting to me.

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    gilrain wrote: »

Urban Agate:

Swoosh:

Rusted Shut:

From your first shot I was pretty unimpressed with the picture quality, but those make me actually respect point-and-shoot cameras a little more.

anable on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gilrain, I like the texture on the lock, very nice...
    Fahrenheit,
    I like the colors, but I think that maybe more of the scissors could be in the picture, down and to the right a bit?

IMGP0253.jpg

IMGP0108.jpg

DSC04237.jpg

crits and comments are welcome

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    anable wrote: »

Urban Agate:

Swoosh:

Rusted Shut:

From your first shot I was pretty unimpressed with the picture quality, but those make me actually respect point-and-shoot cameras a little more.
    Thank you! Yeah, I've been fairly unimpressed with the IQ. The above shots were on a bright day, at ISO80, so that's as good as it gets for the SD850 IS. I look forward to being able to afford a DSLR. I notice Canon announced a new Digital Rebel, to be released in March. I'll probably snag that.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I decided to try and turn something I see every day into a possibly interesting photo. I feel pretty "meh" about these but I thought it a good exercise:

2231600597_df6ca33b42.jpg

2231619657_ae31699611.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I decided to try and turn something I see every day into a possibly interesting photo. I feel pretty "meh" about these but I thought it a good exercise:

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2231600597_df6ca33b42.jpg[ /IMG][/img][IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/2231619657_ae31699611.jpg[ /IMG][/img]
    I like the color version a lot, actually. The clearly-define light that's cast from it is neat. Was that done tweaking levels in post, or were you able to take it that way?

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2231600597_df6ca33b42.jpg[ /IMG][/img][IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/2231619657_ae31699611.jpg[ /IMG][/img]
    I like the color version a lot, actually. The clearly-define light that's cast from it is neat. Was that done tweaking levels in post, or were you able to take it that way?

I can't remember the last time I didn't tweak something in Lightroom. I basically kicked up the contrast a bit and turned the black level up a lot.

anable on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CP wrote: »
    Gilrain, I like the texture on the lock, very nice...
    Fahrenheit,
    I like the colors, but I think that maybe more of the scissors could be in the picture, down and to the right a bit?

shirt rip

crits and comments are welcome

I totally ripped off my employee shirt my last day working at a mexican restaraunt in TX, it felt awesome.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OK guys I'm super bored.

I want to go take pics. Is there anyone in Northern VA/DC/Maryland that wants to go out and shoot things?

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Web_Strands_In_Morning_Dew_by_Rihani.jpg

Frost_Particles_by_Rihani.jpg

Rainfall_by_Rihani.jpg

Droplets_by_Rihani.jpg

Little_Crystals_by_Rihani.jpg

The above are a few days old, while the rest below are older.

Train_Rain_by_Rihani.jpg

Diamonds_In_The_Rough_by_Rihani.jpg

Not_Supposed_To_Be_This_Nice_by_Rihani.jpg

Ochre_by_Rihani.jpg

A_World_Of_Colour_by_Rihani.jpg

All of the above were taken with my Fujifilm S6500 fd. Unfortunately it's not an SLR, but for a camera of it's price range it's extremely good value. I love doing macro shots - sometime this year I might replace my camera with it's bigger brother, the S9600, and get a whopping huge lens for better macro shots \o/

All comments and criticisms are very welcome.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Your pictures are about twice as large as they should be for posting here, especially when you post like a dozen at a time. A few are pretty decent though, notably the third and fifth.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Poorly shot photos of my 16 hour drive from Portland to San Francisco. It usually takes me about 9 hours. Going through the pass at Weed, CA at night I couldn't even see the road because it had turned into one big snow drift in the 50mph winds of the blizzard. This was all in my 16-year-old Honda.

16hrb.jpg

16hra.jpg

Later on I saw maybe a tenth of the cars that are in the second photo stuck in snow drifts or crashed at the side of the road.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Your pictures are about twice as large as they should be for posting here, especially when you post like a dozen at a time. A few are pretty decent though, notably the third and fifth.

I know, I'm sorry about that, I only linked them over from my DevArt account... I'm too lazy to upload them to Photobucket >_>

Thanks for your post :)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sheri I want those shiny thingies you make them look all purty

Ok I need to start posting my pictures so here goes, I am learning still how to use Manual mode and avoid retouching and just practice lighting and stuff. This one is done with my new flash, which I say is pretty good for 75 bucks. Vivitar 285hv with rechargeable batteries gotta help mother earth

_MG_2970.png

As always criticism is welcomed,
    I hope to make this a habit but looking for another job is soo dam time consuming

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I hear good things about the 285hv's, supposed to be amazing value. I'm not crazy about that composition, though.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Whoo, finally some stuff to post. Crits appreciated. The first is mega cropped, though I usually don't crop at all. I think it works. Ya'll may disagree.

ChoppedWindmills.jpg

BWPalmFronds.jpg

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Saint,
    I like the second one, it gives me a feeling like i'm falling over backwards...i'm not feeling the first one so much tho, I really want to see more of those windmills...I think if you wanted to do the panorama thing, you should actually do a panoramic shot...as it is, maybe at least include some space above the tips of the blades that got cut off. Of course, I have no idea whats outside of the frame...

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I like the second one as well. Makes you feel like you're laying on your back, looking up at the sky.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CP wrote: »
    Saint,
    I like the second one, it gives me a feeling like i'm falling over backwards...i'm not feeling the first one so much tho, I really want to see more of those windmills...I think if you wanted to do the panorama thing, you should actually do a panoramic shot...as it is, maybe at least include some space above the tips of the blades that got cut off. Of course, I have no idea whats outside of the frame...

I didn't really mean for that to be taken as a panorama type thing. The original shot does have tons of empty space above the blades, but I cropped it intentionally to cut off enough so it was clear that was my intent. I'll see if I can work with the original and find something I like. I was also potentially going to resize it smaller and use it as a sig, though I kind of like mine now.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In all fairness, I'm pretty fond of your first one. It reminds me of comic panel (and I mean that in the best way possible). At the same time, it is rather hard to take in all at once but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

in_absentia on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    In all fairness, I'm pretty fond of your first one. It reminds me of comic panel (and I mean that in the best way possible). At the same time, it is rather hard to take in all at once but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Interesting that you would get that impression. A lot of my stuff I heavily alter and put into somewhat abstract comic compositions, for a little project a friend of mine and I have been working on. Though for some portions I stick with the typical horizontal three panel style, I guess the visual appeal is kind of spilling over to my 'normal' stuff.

Because I believe in flooding the photo thread all at once.

Arrow.jpg

UnknownSaint on
This discussion has been closed.