Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Step 1
    Step 2

Final result:
    Picture_142_edited.jpg

You might notice the picture's quality is a little diminished. That's mostly (maybe all?) because I took your jpg and reedited it. The more times jpgs are edited/saved the cruddier they look. I would do the perspective correction on the original file before resizing and saving to ensure highest quality.

Also, to fully correct the left column would have meant to remove all but the top portion (the fancy stuff) and that would have looked weird. I think this is the best amount of correction in this picture that I can do.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    If you were the paid wedding photog, you should definitely have confronted the woman and asked her to either stop shooting altogether or to at least get the hell out of the way. If she didn't like that, or you're shy, talk to the bride/groom and tell them about the problem. Seeing as they know the woman, and they're paying you big money to get the shots, they will deal with the problem swiftly or suffer the results (missed important moments, mediocre portraits where everyone's looking at the wrong person). As I said, I've never done a wedding, but I do troll the wedding portrait forums at fredmiranda.com entirely too much, and this is just a paraphrase of the usual advice given in this situation there.

Nah, I think she was paid by the bride's side of the family to undermine me being hired by the groom's side. She toned it down later on because both the groom and the bride mentioned it to her without me having to even ask - she was being that shameless about it.

Thanks though. I already apparently have another job lined up for next month - and I feel a million times better about it. Gonna be paying pretty well too. I'm considering seeing if I can find some pro around town that I can apprentice a bit, some of the better ones are two-man jobs. Make a bit of money on the weekends and improve quite a bit. The whole thing was an amazing learning experience, though it was extremely stressful.

Pope - That shot is fantastic. Great texture, great colors.

I'm shooting a friend's wedding in August (yes, I know, a terrible idea, but it's going to be alright and I'm going to make a grand), and the first thing I did was to tell her that I need to be the main photog, and that if someone else is horning in/getting in my way/ruining or stealing my shots, she's going to need to talk to them or I'm going to be rude. I also asked if she could talk to the wedding party beforehand and let them know that I'm the photog, and no matter what Uncle Bob with his point-and-shoot says, they're to look at ME until I say otherwise. She was completely understanding and said that she didn't think it would be an issue, but she's awesome and totally willing to tell off some family members if anyone gets in the way.

Sheri on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's what the situation was supposed to be - so imagine my frustration when this lady is pulled in at the last second. Oh well, I'll lay down the law a little more strictly next time.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm shooting a friend's wedding in August (yes, I know, a terrible idea, but it's going to be alright and I'm going to make a grand), and the first thing I did was to tell her that I need to be the main photog, and that if someone else is horning in/getting in my way/ruining or stealing my shots, she's going to need to talk to them or I'm going to be rude. I also asked if she could talk to the wedding party beforehand and let them know that I'm the photog, and no matter what Uncle Bob with his point-and-shoot says, they're to look at ME until I say otherwise. She was completely understanding and said that she didn't think it would be an issue, but she's awesome and totally willing to tell off some family members if anyone gets in the way.

Ha! Uncle Bob...there's one of them at every wedding. Usually with some crusty compact that he thinks is the bee's knees. The above describes why I refuse to take photographs at any sort of family event, it's horrible.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mustang wrote: »

Ha! Uncle Bob...there's one of them at every wedding. Usually with some crusty compact that he thinks is the bee's knees. The above describes why I refuse to take photographs at any sort of family event, it's horrible.

Actually, these days it's Uncle Bob with a dSLR that he's never taken out of auto mode.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, there were a few of those there. What's funny is nothing they shoot outside of full manual is going to turn out if it's an indoor ceremony. It can be some really tricky lighting. You may want to check out where it's going to be held Sheri, and go there beforehand with somebody to make some notes on exposures for available light, direct/bounce flash, and also to figure out where you're going to be for the important bits of the ceremony.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, there were a few of those there. What's funny is nothing they shoot outside of full manual is going to turn out if it's an indoor ceremony. It can be some really tricky lighting. You may want to check out where it's going to be held Sheri, and go there beforehand with somebody to make some notes on exposures for available light, direct/bounce flash, and also to figure out where you're going to be for the important bits of the ceremony.

Oh come on, US

You know me better than that

It was one of the first things I told her I had to do. I'm going to the rehearsal and we're checking out the reception area, and we're picking out the location(s) for the formals ahead of time.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah yeah. I suppose I'll never try to be helpful again. Ever ever. ;-)

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah yeah. I suppose I'll never try to be helpful again. Ever ever. ;-)

Oh you hush. <3

Sheri on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's a fun one I've read about: If you're wearing dress pants, bring an extra pair. With all the squatting and otherwise strange movements involved in photographing combined with the weak seams found in most dress attire, I've heard countless stories of people splitting their pants in the first few hours of the wedding only to spend the rest of the ceremony in shorts Uncle Lou found in the back of his van.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2291158440_0583edd83e.jpg

2290364413_ab1963fb23.jpg

I had a song stuck in my head.

"Sometimes I cringe, sometimes I live

Sometimes I walk, sometimes I kneel

Sometimes I speak of nothing at all"

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pope, those are some sweet shots you've been putting out (last 3 or so posts), I really like how the last cactus shot is nice an isolated...when I was cycling around southern Utah, I ate some prickly pears, they taste like sticky green beans...in case you wondered.

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    オオオオオオイス
    Wakkanai, northernmost Japan, 7AM
    2270628898_efd8d9b37e_b.jpg

That sky is oppressive, feels heavy just looking at it, like it could crush the buildings.

Gilbert, Arizona USA, 7AM

0220080709.jpg

Again with my Phone Camera, sorry, it's all I got.

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I thought camera phones were only good for poorly lit shots of alcoholic escapades...

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    not if you are an arteeeest.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I rode my bike down the length of the tiny, yet noble state of Delaware this saturday, and I took some photographs along the way. It was overcast, but I had to work with what I had... It was frickin' cold too!

Reedy Point Bridge, crossing the Delaware/Chesapeake Canal
    IMGP1353.JPG

Port Pen Museum
    IMGP1371.JPG

Geese! Gooses! Ganders!
    IMGP1381.JPG

Ranging Tower (Sort of a lighthouse)
    IMGP1391.JPG

Tree Halo
    IMGP1425.JPG

Southern Delaware
    IMGP1469.JPG

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, camera phones are getting pretty impressive. The compact P&S will be history in 5 years.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, but it will be replaced by the $500 dollar cell phone.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm really not using my 70-200 F4 all that much since I've bought it so I'm selling it and I might get something more in my range of lenses, if anyone is interested I have the info posted on the PoTN boards here.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was actually looking to buy that lens, Veritas. And I'm local.

However, I've seen it for $450 shipped. ;)

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd be willing to go lower, but just for you Sheri :winky:

I listed it at that price based on the prices on that forum though so I was prepared to lower it if need be.

Veritas on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    More experimental stuff:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

tassel.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sheri wrote: »

Wait, you're both in Tampa? I'm going there in two weeks. We should have a photo-off. Or something.

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    anable wrote: »

Wait, you're both in Tampa? I'm going there in two weeks. We should have a photo-off. Or something.

I'm about an hour from Tampa and 30 minutes from Orlando.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm flying in so I won't have my car. I can probably steal my aunt's though. Assuming you want to met some dude from the internet!

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dude, be careful, no doubt Sheri is a psychopathic ax (or crochet needle) murderer...I mean, just look at the disturbing photos she takes

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    :<>

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CP wrote: »
    Dude, be careful, no doubt Sheri is a psychopathic ax (or crochet needle) murderer...I mean, just look at the disturbing photos she takes

Hmm, that's a good point. I bet she even crochets her own body bags. Haunting.

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CP wrote: »

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN

(NSFW)

(It's a crocheted dong)

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Do I dare ask why you brought that into this world?

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I can only imagine that being like one of those parody sex ed videos with the cartoon penis.

It needs a cane and a top hat.

Veritas on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I did a maternity shoot for my sister-in-law yesterday. I hadn't a clue what I was doing as far as poses or attire.

matern.jpg

I used a bit of the liquify tool for her benefit.. sshhh!

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I like it! Side profile would be good for that, and the lighting is also pretty solid - though I would have liked to see some side-light with her facing towards the camera, that would bring out a bit of the depth also.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh yeah, I have others. I came out with six good shots that she and my brother like which I think is pretty good for a three-hour shoot. I'd post others but some are pretty revealing and also show their faces and I haven't asked if they're cool with being on the interbutts yet. Now I just need to make sure I can get a good print out of these. I hate printing digital in B&W.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Salty, thats pretty awesome, looks like your brother and his wife will be happy.

In OTHER news, have you seen Sheri's DANCING PENIS? (see, normally that sentence would sound sooo wrong. Wait...nope, it still does)

Which is absolutely hilarious, and pretty frickin awesome

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't help it, I have to post this link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Mother-of-All-L-Lenses.jsp

$100,000 telephoto lens that takes high res photos at over 2 miles away.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    More experimental stuff:
    <snip>
    IMG_1959.jpg
    <snip>

I really like this one. The breaks and cracks in the middle blocks of whatever they are give variety and break up what would otherwise be a blah array of colors. Also, I like how unsaturated the colors are: they're not up in my face shouting at me. The subdued aspect of the colors ties in very well with the broken bits mentioned above, and creates an overall feeling of weariness.

-e- but if you could take the flash glare off the top of the dark blue block in the center (next to the yellow block) it will be much prettier. That glare really takes away from the rest.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    I did a maternity shoot for my sister-in-law yesterday. I hadn't a clue what I was doing as far as poses or attire.

matern.jpg

I used a bit of the liquify tool for her benefit.. sshhh!

You should touch up the skin on the legs. Otherwise it's cool.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    nO done stole my comment

Also crocheting penises is hilarious and you all know it. Don't even act like you're so mature you didn't giggle.

Sheri on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    nO done stole my comment

Also crocheting penises is hilarious and you all know it. Don't even act like you're so mature you didn't giggle.

I enjoyed the dancing one a bunch!

erisian pope on
This discussion has been closed.