Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    nO done stole my comment

Also crocheting penises is hilarious and you all know it. Don't even act like you're so mature you didn't giggle.

Any girl obsessed with penises enough to crochet one is on my A+ list. :lol:

needOptic on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woo, I got my "Practical Composition in Photography" in the mail today, $7 and it's in great shape, and so far looks like it was worth every cent. Thanks for the heads up Pope.

Sheri, have you considered furniture?

Giant vagina couch, maybe NSFW

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Better be careful you could lose the dong in there.

Veritas on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    needOptic wrote: »
    saltiness wrote: »
    I did a maternity shoot for my sister-in-law yesterday. I hadn't a clue what I was doing as far as poses or attire.

IMG

I used a bit of the liquify tool for her benefit.. sshhh!

You should touch up the skin on the legs. Otherwise it's cool.
    Good call. I'll see if I can smooth that out a little in a couple spots.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't have to be that sharp...just throwing it out there. You could do a blurred overlay layer of the original image at low opacity to give it a little glow...maybe a selective mask.

I don't mind a not-completely-perfect body, but the "client" might enjoy a slightly more glamorous look. You know whut I kmeen?

needOptic on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CP wrote: »
    Woo, I got my "Practical Composition in Photography" in the mail today, $7 and it's in great shape, and so far looks like it was worth every cent. Thanks for the heads up Pope.

Sheri, have you considered furniture?

Giant vagina couch, maybe NSFW

Oh honey

This news is so old

<3

Sheri on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't have to be that sharp...just throwing it out there. You could do a blurred overlay layer of the original image at low opacity to give it a little glow...maybe a selective mask.

I don't mind a not-completely-perfect body, but the "client" might enjoy a slightly more glamorous look. You know whut I kmeen?

Certainly. I discussed with her that I would perform some very minor fixes just to give her the 'benefit of the doubt'. I'm not going to tell her what I fixed, I'll just see what she thinks of the final image. If I were in total control I wouldn't fix anything because I prefer honesty in a situation like this but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of the soft focus look but I asked her anyways when we were shooting if she wanted me to do that to any of them and she declined.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    saltiness wrote: »

Certainly. I discussed with her that I would perform some very minor fixes just to give her the 'benefit of the doubt'. I'm not going to tell her what I fixed, I'll just see what she thinks of the final image. If I were in total control I wouldn't fix anything because I prefer honesty in a situation like this but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of the soft focus look but I asked her anyways when we were shooting if she wanted me to do that to any of them and she declined.

Werd. I'm not a fan of the soft focus myself. Are there any noods? :lol:

needOptic on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    @ Salti - I think it looks great! The legs thing is a good idea. Bravo.
    CP wrote: »

Awesome! I hope you find it to be worthwhile!

A couple abstractions using only what I have at my desk at work (no controllable lighting or anything).

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Is that a roll of tape?

I think I like the second one the most, the white area on the right gives the edge a sense of completeness or finality the first one lacks...I think I'd like the first one more if the left edge of the picture was all pink...sort of cutting off the left curve of that annulus thingy. Also, very cool colors in the first, is that an LED light making the blue?

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's a roll of tape indeed.

I am really not sure what the source of blue is in the first one. I suspect it might be my coworker's laptop's LCD.

I agree that the first one doesn't totally come together. I think I'd prefer if the top-right corner were dark and matched the left side. Or if I had another light rectangle in bottom-left to match top-right. But it is currently lacking.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I ran across a series of photographs by a Russian photographer, Boris Mikhailov (never heard of him) but they're awesome, anyone have any idea what kind of camera he could be using? THere are some pretty powerful images in here, check it out
    http://englishrussia.com/?p=1789

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Incoming Holga shots. I'm thinking of converting them to B&W as well. The cross processing thing is neat, but limited.

2294594992_cd35cb6a0d_b.jpg
    Shot in Reston VA, at a baseball diamond right after a snow storm. Fresh snow!

2293802991_e51f787e09_b.jpg
    Old bar by the train tracks...

2294593918_62b425353d_b.jpg
    Another shot of Said bar.

Let me know if these are too big. It's either this size or like... 1/4 this size due to the way flickr works. Sorry!
    I know you guys hate spoilers too.
    The colors are from cross processing the film Kodak e100g (slide).

There have been some amazing pictures in here lately. I can see some definite improvement!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    leonchoppinleonchoppin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    leonchoppin on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey Guys, I keep meaning to get more involved in this thread. Does anyone have comments or suggestions on the following? The first two are from wandering round the park with my Girlfriend, the last two watching a friend's art project (they were smashing crockery). edit: the first one particularly, I know I like something about it, however equally something's off. It's bugging me and I can't quite put my finger on what..

_MG_0214.jpg

_MG_0222.jpg

_MG_0324_2.jpg

_MG_0330.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Jake - I like picture #2 the best of those. The DOF is perfect; the background is blurred but not too blurred. It's interesting and recognizable, but the subject is still obviously the focal point. I guess I am trying to say it's visually well balanced.

For #1 I think there's too much sky. The top 2/3 of the sky is too low-contrast to be interesting, so that space is "wasted" (in that anytime my eye travels up there I lose my enjoyment of the picture). The picture is all about the tents (or shacks or whatever they are) but they only fill about 25% of the frame. If you were to crop the picture just above the top bird a to make the picture a square that would give most of the frame to the tents and some to the remaining sky/birds. That would (in my opinion) be a better pic. Ideally, I would recommend re-shooting with a horizontal frame to keep the traditional rectangle shape and still devote 66-75% or so of the frame to the tents. That's my 2-cents' worth.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I agree with Pope, the second is definetly the strongest, the convergence of the trees, the road, her legs, and the fact that she's looking down towards that focal point work well, the others all lack any particular focus.

So I put a roll through my old minolta recently wandering around Philly, please excuse the specs on the prints, and the crappy quality of the scanner at my job.

So I really like this one, but i'd like to know if thats just me, I did a little post, and I feel like the bottom right may be too bright, not sure if it throws things out of balance...
    scan0009.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Ok, this is kinda neat. Being a big dummy, I advanced the film out of the holder, and the little scratchy things at the edge are from static discharge as it got pulled past the bit of felt-y stuff...I thought it was pretty neat, but then agian, I'm a sucker for electro-static discharge...
    scan0003.jpg

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    For #1 I think there's too much sky........That's my 2-cents' worth.
    Yeah, I agree. I think ideally I'd go back and re-shoot vertically when the sky was worth shooting but, meh.

Cp: really liking the billboard, pitty about the top edge clipping the frame.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CP - while I like the geometry of the subject, the fact that the power line passes through a central vertex, and the juxtaposition of the organic shapes of the clouds behind the rigid structure, I have 2 complaints: (1) the scene is a little overexposed, and the "hot" lower-right corner is a little uncomfortable to look at. Outdoor shooting at mid-day is really tough and you might get better results with either a faster shutter or shooting nearer sunup or sundown. (2) the picture is a little too busy. I would prefer the scene if the pole on the right were not included and also the phone pole on the left. Perhaps reshooting from a slightly different angle (a few feet to the left and a little closer) to remove these elements would improve it.

I hope this feedback is helpful. I am trying to be more critical when people ask for feedback. Not in the "this sucks" way, but in the "here are some ideas that might make it a stronger pic" way. I know I personally enjoy critical feedback so I want to contribute more that way. But it's always hard for me, as I hate to sound like some asshole know-it-all (especially when I really don't know shit) and I hate to ever turn someone off of this hobby.

Anyway, blah blah blah. I think your ideas in #1 are good. I would love to see you revisit it. :^:

Lordy, am I condescending?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know this doesn't really fit in this thread, but check it out, dudes, I'm famous!

Also uh here's a picture

IMG_0880b1.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pope, you condescending douche nozzle....thanks for the crits, thats why I'm posting here. I think I went a little overboard with it going for a more dramatic sky, here's a less "messed with" version. Also, your crit was helpful, and I wouldn't want you to hold back, because I am here to improve, plus, I know your not being an ass about it

scan0009.jpg

I definetly agree that the shot could be revisited...It was a huge structure rising out of the rubble of south philly

Jake, thanks, I think the original the top point of the billboard just touches the top of the picture, but I was lazy scanning it, and clipped a bit off.

Sheri, grats, and cool shot, as usual, nice colors, and i really like the range in the photo. I think I might have liked to see either less, or a lot more of the grill, but the little bit at the edge is a little annoying.

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CP, I'm not really sure I get the point of the second shot. It seems pretty personal, but lacks anything that would be interesting to someone not involved. Not trying to be a dick, I just don't really get it. Also, I would correct the horizon in shot three.

anable on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jake those last two a very cool....mucho chuckles. :)

Mustang on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I would be enjoying that book you recommended earlier Pope, but the package that arrived today was a book on Social fucking Statistics. No packing slip, and I got no e-mail confirmation. This is retarded.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    P2203097-2.jpg

P2223287.jpg

P2223148-2.jpg

P2223237.jpg

Poot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    There is most definately something about the third one, I like it....but.....the angle is not right or something, can't put my finger on it. Does that sculpture remind anyone else of the Dark Crystal? Does anyone remember the Dark Crystal for that matter? Poor old Gary Kurtz, so much potential.

Mustang on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    anable wrote: »
    I was actually looking to buy that lens, Veritas. And I'm local.

Wait, you're both in Tampa? I'm going there in two weeks. We should have a photo-off. Or something.

Oh man I must have missed this. Should definitely do something if you have the chance.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    There is most definately something about the third one, I like it....but.....the angle is not right or something, can't put my finger on it. Does that sculpture remind anyone else of the Dark Crystal? Does anyone remember the Dark Crystal for that matter? Poor old Gary Kurtz, so much potential.

I think the problem is that although there are some awesome lines towards the statue, the statue itself is hard to make out due to the light bloom, and general lack of contrast in that area.

IMG_7032.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So I would be enjoying that book you recommended earlier Pope, but the package that arrived today was a book on Social fucking Statistics. No packing slip, and I got no e-mail confirmation. This is retarded.

Oh god what a cock-up! Good luck untangling that mess!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Veritas wrote: »
    anable wrote: »
    I was actually looking to buy that lens, Veritas. And I'm local.

Wait, you're both in Tampa? I'm going there in two weeks. We should have a photo-off. Or something.

Oh man I must have missed this. Should definitely do something if you have the chance.

We somehow went from that to crocheted penises, but yeah, I'm still interested. I'll shoot you a PM.

anable on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh god what a cock-up! Good luck untangling that mess!

Yeah, and worse yet according to my bank the statistics book cost me $50, in addition to the photography book.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    IMG_9244.jpg
    I am digging this one a lot. Nice job making an overcast lighting situation into a very interesting and dynamic shot. I love the scattered-around figures.

gilrain on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    P2223148-2.jpg

I'm really digging this picture. I normally don't like pictures of permanent things that the photographer didn't make. Buildings and man made structures of most types bore me. This, however, is fantastic. It looks like something absolutely devastating is about to happen, and the only person around to witness it is the one on the right. There's almost too much shadow happening, but it only adds to the apocolyptic vibe.
    Or atleast, that's what I'm getting out of it.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh shit i get it..some day my prints will come...sounds like "prince".
    I didn't get that till just now when i read it out loud....wow.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was messing around with shutter speeds because I was bored, and had a fancy new camera to play with, and this is what happened. I know, anyone can slow the shutter down and make a crazy blurry picture, I just really like this one for some reason.
    n514019982_378269_3849.jpg

This one be of me girlfriend. Since I decided to exploit her misfortune, I helped clean it up and everything.
    n514019982_378401_3206.jpg

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I very much like both shots, although the second is queasy-making. :P

The first is rather brilliant, in my opinion -- anyone can blur a shot, but it's harder to wind up with something managing neat, interesting subjects, composition, and color. It's a keeper.

Edit: I, also, only just now got the pun in the title. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the kind words! And I'm sorry if I made you all queasy. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to take that picture!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that's the first time I've seen the act of vomitus caught in still that 'hasn't' been staged. That being said if i'd photographed my other half puking she'd punch the living piss out of me.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jake! wrote: »

I think the problem is that although there are some awesome lines towards the statue, the statue itself is hard to make out due to the light bloom, and general lack of contrast in that area.

Yeah, part of the reason why its in b/w is because in color the contrast just made it look horrible. If I ever go back there I wannna shoot it again, because I really like the way those lines converge. Thanks for the kind words! And also:

IMG_9244.jpg

I really like this.

Poot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that's the first time I've seen the act of vomitus caught in still that 'hasn't' been staged. That being said if i'd photographed my other half puking she'd punch the living piss out of me.

She said it was for art, and then made me clean it up. I think it was worth it.
    Also, it kind of was staged. She started puking, and I set up the shot and was trying to get her to hold for round two until I could take the picture. She did done good methinks.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
This discussion has been closed.