As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The vomiting one actually has interesting composition, though I don't find the slow shutter blurry one interesting or good-looking at all.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's gross, but from a technical standpoint it's also blurry, either from motion blur or just being out of focus.

As for the blurry one. . . yes, it does strike me as something anyone can do and not really very interesting.

EDIT: Dangit, Saint, I was typing.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Boo-yah.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The blur was from me being completely unprepared, but having the take the picture. The reason it's black and white is because the colour turned out horrible, and yeah, it was blurry. I thought I had managed to save it, but I guess not.
    The intentional blur one was me just screwing around, as I said. I ended up taking a lot of pictures to try and get it just right, but it's still a simple trick and takes little to no talent. I still think it's purrty though!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Saint and Sheri hate nice things. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The blur was from me being completely unprepared, but having the take the picture. The reason it's black and white is because the colour turned out horrible, and yeah, it was blurry. I thought I had managed to save it, but I guess not.
    The intentional blur one was me just screwing around, as I said. I ended up taking a lot of pictures to try and get it just right, but it's still a simple trick and takes little to no talent. I still think it's purrty though!

No, I know it was intentional and you were just screwing around, and simple tricks that take no talent can produce wonderful results, but I don't think the image you posted is pretty or interesting, that's my point. And you can, that's just fine. That's how opinions work, after all. ;)

And no, gil, I actually like nice things.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Meh. It's done all the time, though that by itself doesn't make it mediocre. There can be some really cool abstract stuff done with nothing more than what Marcus and his Band of Really Long Usernames did, it's just I don't find what he did particularly striking, interesting, or pretty.

Edit: Dangit, Sheri, I was typing.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't decide whether I like this picture or not, and I've been dreadfully uninspired lately. I could use some harsh criticism.

P2223124-1.jpg

Poot on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Poot wrote: »
    I can't decide whether I like this picture or not, and I've been dreadfully uninspired lately. I could use some harsh criticism.

birds

I want more or less angle. I am not satisfied with the angle as it is. I like the structure, there's a lot of beauty there. I wish the sky were slightly darker. Maybe make an curves adjustment layer and mask out the building? The whole thing needs more pop somehow (either angle or contrast) for my tastes. It's pretty good though!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My eyes keep being drawn to the sky, and the sky isn't very interesting. Nothing on the building really stands out, so the whites in the sky are distracting. I do like the lines and shapes in it, though. I honestly can't think of a way that could make it better without doing a whole lot of work, and I don't think it's worth that much effort.
    Keep in mind, I'm just not a big fan of architectural shots.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woo my D40 came on Monday and it is good times. I haven't had much time to take any "for serious" pictures. But I have a few I liked:

(click for big)

Some Yogurt:
    2296790413_3f281063f1.jpg

My friend Tony lookin' stylish:
    2297583958_d148122e8b.jpg

Lol dog photo lol:
    2297583686_1400ce28cf.jpg

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How the hell does that qualify as yogurt?

Poot on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How the hell does that qualify as a dog?

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, there's yogurt under it? Haha. My friends and I go to this place called Yogurt World every Wednesday. The place is amazing. You get as much shit as you want, all at $0.38 an ounce. It's delicious.

Also don't you dare insult my corgi.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's cool, here's mine:

2297751992_98ae6a0c39.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Is that dog on a car?

Awesome. Dog pictures rule. Sheri's oppression of dog kind must end.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have dog pictures for days. Don't tempt me Sheri! emot-argh.gif

anable on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    STUPID DOG GET OFF MY CAR

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If they're good photos, I don't care

Sheri on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wants me a Corgi.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is that dog on a car?

Awesome. Dog pictures rule. Sheri's oppression of dog kind must end.
    How's this?

2272352841_37422f29c0.jpg

fogeyman on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    aww, he thinks he's people

mully on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Srsly, let's try to keep it to at least legitimate attempts at photography.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Why is that?

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Why is that?

S...seriously? Well I suppose I'll be the asshole here. Because the photo thread isn't about showing off whatever pictures you took of your fucking dog/friends/car/whatever, unless they have some sort of artistic merit or somewhat look as if cognitive effort went into it, rather than you just took a shot of something. It's about getting/giving valid crits on your stuff. The goal is for people to get better at photography. This is a forum for artists. The illustrators have their topics and doodle threads, we have the one topic (excluding the 365) for people to explore photography as art.

Save the rest of it for your photoblogs.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Why is that?

S...seriously? Well I suppose I'll be the asshole here. Because the photo thread isn't about showing off whatever pictures you took of your fucking dog/friends/car/whatever, unless they have some sort of artistic merit or somewhat look as if cognitive effort went into it, rather than you just took a shot of something. It's about getting/giving valid crits on your stuff. The goal is for people to get better at photography. This is a forum for artists. The illustrators have their topics and doodle threads, we have the one topic (excluding the 365) for people to explore photography as art.

Save the rest of it for your photoblogs.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the kind feedback guys.

Poot: I agree with Pope, it needs more or less angle, although personally I love the flat greys of the stonework, very surreal. The sky is definitely the major problem.

I've been trying to improve my low light shooting, these are some shots these first three are from a friend's gig, the last two are from an open mic night I organise with a group of friends. Not entirely happy with the first of those two, eyes closed and all that.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Saint, Your right, this should be a place where we try and get better at photography, but it's also supposed to be fun, I mean, it was a joke...I know 'LoL cat!!!!1!! lOLz1" is really annoying, and I don't see that happening here...All work and no play makes the photography thread a dull boy

Remember the glitter/lens flare/golding explosion? It was funny, it might have gone one or two posts overboard, and that was it.

EDIT: Just saw this, didn't feel like doubling up.

Ok, so www.slate.com is the washinton posts web extension, great little online magazine, i read it every day to procrastinate at work. Anyway, they have a daily photo-set from Magnum photography every day, and they're usually awesome. I was looking through it today and thought of you guys, so check it out, today is "Egypt" wooo woo
    http://todayspictures.slate.com/20080228/

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    leonchoppinleonchoppin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Loneliness.
    i like the athmo

http://leon5080.deviantart.com/art/loneliness-78645020

and this

loneliness_by_leon5080.jpg

leonchoppin on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MOAR PIX:

Ilford Delta 100 through my holga.

2295619851_45aabe288d_b.jpg
    Old room at the Winchester Mystery House in California.

2295619581_868322be87_b.jpg
    Der Train Tracken.

2295618379_d58f62e13d_b.jpg
    Starbucks.

This camera is very amazing. I can only shoot at one aperture, with either a 1/100 or bulb setting so it's rather interesting to get the exposure done right. I'm VERY surprised by the starbucks shot. This camera uses a plastic little PoS lens and it comes out quite sharp sometimes.

Tell me what you guys think.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    While I favor any and all attempts by photographers here to improve their skills, I believe this debate occurred ni the previous incarnation of this thread, and the final word was had by a mod (grifter, I think?) who pointed out that he created the first photo thread merely for a casual place where people could post snaps. So I don't think it should be mandatory that every picture here try to be either art of highly-skilled craft.

On the other hand, I would encourage everyone who posts here to think about the overall quality of what their posting and keep an open mind towards improving your skills.

Also, when 90% of the pictures in here are being posted by people who are pushing themselves to improve their art/craft skills I would speculate that pictures that are created in a less serious vein will probably be met with some harsh responses. That just seems predictable. So yeah ... it's not in the rules from what I recall, but it's in the culture. And it's a good mentality from which to approach everything we create - why not try to make it excellent instead of blah?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey, you two want crits on your dog shots?

Whatever. This thread is changing, to say the least. Then again, it's changed a billion times since its inception (as evidenced by pope's example).

I sure do miss what it used to be, I think.

Ah well.

In other news, I'm famouser!

Sheri on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If this continues I'm going to have to become the condescending asshole that Sheri very well remembers.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That is a badass blanket, Sheri. Congrats on the notoriety!

I hate when I take some pictures I like (like those a couple pages back) and then have to go to work every day. Every morning that I am getting dressed in business-casual and not out and about in the wonderful morning light taking pictures is such a let down. I want to make more photos right now! GAH!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Let's be clear about something in here. I don't like backseat mods. If somebody wants to post photos of their pets in here that's fine. This thread originally started as just a fun thread back in the day. We don't need a bunch of photo snobs giving people shit. You want to critique their bad photos then that's your business. There's no need for people saying what is and is not allowed to be posted in here.

Grifter on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Altman, I really like those B&W Holga shots, the cross processed ones are neat and I've really liked a lot of them, but I think the neon greens and reds start to get overpowering after a while. If I had to look through a book of those, I might start throwing epiliptic fits, anyway, cool shots, I like the moodieness in the first one. And all the little details creeping out of the shadows, like the textures on the wood floor, it's a sweet shot.

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PAAC without snobs? What's the point then? :lol:

needOptic on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the feedback CP. No one has said anything yet so I have just been sort of winging it.

I think you're right about the cross-processing. I'm going to tone it down and just friggen process some stuff as normal and see what happens.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    needOptic wrote: »
    PAAC without snobs? What's the point then? :lol:

Oh we can still be snobs. But I don't like people trying to dictate what can and can not be posted in the photo thread. This is mostly because I plan to post pictures of my nose hairs that I pluck on a weekly basis and have used to sculpt a bust of Einstein that my cat sleeps on now. She's the prettiest kitten in the world and any photo of her is a piece of art no matter what. <3

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.